Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2013, 17:18   #4756
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Any one travelled to Sringeri / Horanadu very recently? How's the road condition? Planning to visit shortly. Normally I take, Hassan-Belur-CKM-Balehonnur-Sringeri. Last year when I traveled, it was in bad shape & one known person in Kalasa told me I should ve taken Belur-Mudigere-Kottigehara route. Now since I traveled to Dharma/Kukke recently till Kottigehara it's good. Not sure about Kotigehara - Kalasa & Kalasa - Horanadu. My ride is Rapid.

tnks
Old 8th October 2013, 18:39   #4757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
I'm sure about the Belur town road it's in worst condition, but Hassan city roads are not bad at all, roads have been recently relaid for most of the stretch. it's in good condition except near KSRTC depot/ opp rlwy station. I travelled in my Civic yesterday, it was quite managable.
It's probably the road I took. I'm not familiar with Hassan, so I took the route which google maps suggested.
Old 10th October 2013, 14:08   #4758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSUDA View Post
Any one travelled to Sringeri / Horanadu very recently? How's the road condition? Planning to visit shortly. Normally I take, Hassan-Belur-CKM-Balehonnur-Sringeri. Last year when I traveled, it was in bad shape & one known person in Kalasa told me I should ve taken Belur-Mudigere-Kottigehara route. Now since I traveled to Dharma/Kukke recently till Kottigehara it's good. Not sure about Kotigehara - Kalasa & Kalasa - Horanadu. My ride is Rapid.

tnks
ALSUDA, Last week (Oct 3rd) I did a trip to Sringeri-Horanadu from Bangalore via Hassan-Belur-Mudigere-Kalasa-Horanadu-Sringeri.
Overall the road is in good condition except for a few km little bad stretch near Belur town. Otherwise rest of road is good. I did it in my Honda City ZX and did not scrape anywhere so should be fine with your Rapid.
For Horanadu to Sringeri, I took the Kudremukh road for its scenic drive. The road condition is good and scenic, but minor potholes here and there, but nothing major to worry again. Note of caution, the road to Sringeri is very narrow in some places for 2 vehicles to pass as there is no support on the shoulders of the road as the mud has sunk in, so to get off the tar road on to the shoulder is not easy. Hope this information helps

Last edited by ark_rover : 10th October 2013 at 14:25.
Old 10th October 2013, 14:43   #4759
BHPian

Thanks ark-rover. Infact once I faced problem of that narrow road stretch via Kudremukh when I had my Swift & bottom was scrapped. No doubt it's very scenic. I think other option is from Kalasa I've to come to Balehonnur & to Sringeri. Again not sure condition of this route. Belur inside town is spoiled fully. Though motorable, lot of stress on suspensions.
thank you again.
Old 10th October 2013, 23:48   #4760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Agree. The roads inside Hassan Town (BM Road) was undergoing repairs even 3 months before and was getting a new layer of asphalt and I sensed it way better than what it used to be a few weeks before. I assume most of the stretch starting from Azad Circle till Thaneeruhalla.

When it comes to Belur: The roads get bad right from the main circle till the Bus stand (1 KM) but not so bad that you need to think of an alternative.
Parag I intend to travel to my home town Udupi on 12th of this month. But this time I have chosen the following route i.e. Bangalore>Mandya>Mysore> Madikeri>Sampaje>Sulliya>Puttur> Mani>Mangalore>Udupi I feel highly obliged if you can kindly inform me the road conditions and total Kms Because this is the first occasion I am travelling through this route as I am totally fedup with the usual route i.e BLR>KUNIGAL>CHANNARYAPATNA>HASSAN>SAKLESHPUR>UPPIN ANGADI>MANGALORE>UDUPI mainly because of Shiradi ghats. I am damn sure this Ghat section never gets repaired and all the big assurances from the Govt/Ministers is only and always on paper. After all repairing/relaying the roads is not a big challenge for the present day technology but it is sheer lack of political will

Last edited by aah78 : 11th October 2013 at 19:06. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 11th October 2013, 00:17   #4761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALSANKRPAI View Post
I intend to travel to my home town Udupi on 12th of this month. But this time I have chosen the following route i.e. Bangalore>Mandya>Mysore> Madikeri>Sampaje>Sulliya>Puttur> Mani>Mangalore>Udupi
Why this longer routing to Udupi? If you are not happy with shiradi, you can take charmadi which is in a better shape, relatively. B'lore - Hassan - Belur - Mudigere - Kottigehara - Ujire - Mudubidre - Karkala - Udupi.
JMaruru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 00:36   #4762
Distinguished - BHPian

^I would go with JMaruru's advise for the fact that your destination is Udupi. Agreed that Shiradi is gone to dogs now but the alternate route via Mysore is simply infeasible.
Charmadi is a pleasant route with very minimal or negligible fleet traffic and you will certainly enjoy the drive plus the fact that the roads are way better on this stretch even if you include those small little bad patches.

Go ahead and take the Charmadi option and am sure you won't be disappointed.

Last edited by paragsachania : 11th October 2013 at 00:38.
Old 11th October 2013, 09:11   #4763
BHPian

Parag may I know why you don't recommend Bangalore to Udupi via Mysore>Madikeri . As far as the distance is concerned I think it is not at all a long route is there any other reason. I am leaving tomorrow morning {12th Oct'13 }

Last edited by aah78 : 11th October 2013 at 19:07. Reason: Unfinished quote removed.
Old 11th October 2013, 09:35   #4764
Team-BHP Support

Well, it is at least 40kms longer than the shorter route. Also, the ghat section is lot more twistier and tires the hell out of all the passengers and driver. I used to take that route often before the 4-laning was done on the Hassan route.

Anyway, it is good that you are taking the Madikeri route to Mangalore. Been a long time since I heard any reports on that route.
Old 11th October 2013, 09:56   #4765
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
^

Parag may I know why you don't recommend Bangalore to Udupi via Mysore>Madikeri . As far as the distance is concerned I think it is not at all a long route is there any other reason. I am leaving tomorrow morning {12th Oct'13 }
Like Samurai already mentioned,
  • The Madikeri option is indeed longer
  • Secondly, I am not sure how are the roads holding up after Madikeri till Puttur (Perhaps, that bit has always remained a gamble)
  • You will again have to drive on the last bit of NH48 from Mani till near Mangalore bypass towards Udupi & you know the traffic
  • Finally you drive on the busy Mangalore-Udupi road
  • http://goo.gl/maps/fmqxC

Via Charmadi:
  • You drive on the usual NH48 and Turn off at Hassan
  • Hassan-Belur-Mudigere is an excellent road right now except crossing 1KM bad stretch soon after you enter Belur Town
  • The Charmadi Ghat has 11 Hair Pin bends and devoid of typical highway traffic that may either make you extremely happy to drive in piece with the scenery around or bore you (unlikely).
  • Post Ujire, expect some traffic till you turn off right at Guruvayanakere (~6kms) but after this despite of a few small bad sections, you can reach Karkala in a jiffy via Naravi/Bajagoli route (or Moodbidre)
  • Passing Karkala town may be a 15 minute affair and then another 45 minutes to reach Udupi via Manipal
  • http://goo.gl/maps/W5cs8
If I were to drive to Udupi from Bangalore, I would any day opt for Charmadi unhesitatingly!

With the Charmadi option, you may have to plan your breaks for lunch appropriately as there is no good option (Read clean) after Belur till Ujire/Belthangagy (90-100 kms).

EDIT: Time wise, Hassan-Belur (30 Minutes), Belur-Mudigere Handpost (40 minutes), Mudigere-Kottigehara (15 Minutes), Kottigehara-Charmadi-Ujire (45-60 minutes), Ujire-Belthangady-Guruvayanakere (15 minutes), Guruvayanakere-Naravi-Bakagoli-Karkala (45 Minutes), Karkala-Manipal-Udupi (45 mins).

In total, with sedate driving, Budget ~4.5 hours from Hassan for Udupi.

Last edited by paragsachania : 11th October 2013 at 10:23.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 10:58   #4766
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Madikeri-Sampaje-Sullia is also broken.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post3258180

You are better off with Charmadi.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 11:57   #4767
Senior - BHPian

[quote=KALSANKRPAI;3262888]
Quote:
^

Parag may I know why you don't recommend Bangalore to Udupi via Mysore>Madikeri . As far as the distance is concerned I think it is not at all a long route is there any other reason.
Shorter options apart from Madikeri routes are (leaving the usual route via MLR)
1 BLR-HSSN-BELUR-MUDIGERE-CHARMADI-GURUVAYANKERE-(MOODABIDRE) -KARKALA-UDUPI
2 BLR-HSSN-BELUR-MUDIGERE-KALSA-KUDREMUKH-BAJAGOLI-KARKALA-UDUPI
3 BLR-HSSN-BELUR-CHIKMAGALUR-ALDUR-BALEHONNUR-SRINGERI-AGUMBE-SOMESHWARA-PARKALA-UDUPI
4 BLR-TUMKUR-SHIMOGA-AGUMBE-SOMESHWARA-PARKALA-UDUPI

Quote:
[*]You drive on the usual NH48 and Turn off at Hassan
This NH is now NH75 after the 4 lane construction commenced
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2013, 12:42   #4768

I will be travelling from Bangalore to Manipal tonight for my alumni meet. I plan to leave by 4:00am and plan to be in Manipal for lunch. From all the posts i have read, it appears that the Hassan - Charmadi - Karkala - Manipal route seems to be the best. I wanted to confirm this since i have seen multiple other options. Is this a better option than the BLR-TUMKUR-SHIMOGA-AGUMBE-Manipal route?

Should i take the same route on the way back. Criteria of selection is distance and quality of the road. We will be driving in a Ritz (Petrol) and Getx.
Old 11th October 2013, 14:00   #4769
BHPian

Thank you so much Parag, for your beautiful guidance and advice. I will stick to your route

Note from Support: Please go through this thread -> https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/annou...-team-bhp.html (How to MULTI-QUOTE (when replying to a thread) on Team-BHP). Post #2 mentions how to add quotes to your post

Last edited by aah78 : 11th October 2013 at 19:08. Reason: See note.
Old 11th October 2013, 15:52   #4770
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

How is this route? karkala - udupi.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-karkalaudupi.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks