Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2017, 20:13   #7141
BHPian

Re: The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
SPEEDBREAKERS - I mention this because you are traveling with someone who needs utmost care when being drive. There are marked as well as unmarked. So drive at speeds where you will be able to stop in time even when you spot one just few meters ahead.
There are no huge speedbreakers anywhere on this route except near Alur & Hirisave but many rumbler type speedbreakers exist right from Solur all the way till Hassan.
(1) Solur, (2) After Bellur Cross toll(3 Locations), (3)Kirisave, (4)Hirisave Town crossing, (5) few kms before CR Patna Bypass, (6) 3 Locations on CR Patna bypass itself, (7) Shantigrama, (8) Udayapura, (9), After University Campus nearing Hassan (10) Hassan Bypass - 4 Locations.
Note that in the above list where Aadya's Royal Dine is located, A2B too is located next to it and there is Kamat Upachar & CCD diagonally opposite to A2B as well.
Thanks for that detailed information about the speed breakers. I will need to be very careful. I would be driving an XUV 5OO (self-drive cab) with total 6 people in it so will take max 80-90kmph speed on NH75 till Hassan. Should be good? Hoping to give some good time for my wife.
I値l start from Bangalore at 4 AM max so will try to stop at A2B if not forced to stop before that for breakfast. But have bookmarked all the suggestions on G Maps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
Adding to what Parag Bhai says, if you are taking Shiradi ghat then you need to consider the fact that road surface post concrete section and all the way till Gundya is uneven. Even though patch work is in progress but still considering your situation you need to careful while going via this stretch.
I was in similar situation like yours couple of years back and I took Madikeri route once as Shiradi ghat was closed for repairs but soon I switched to train considering the low risk factor
The concrete section I believe is around 10 kms approx. I値l take max precautions on that road hoping everything go smoothly.
Would taking route via Medikeri like below (diverting from Channarayapattana) be helpful and worthwhile? I have been to Coorg before via road last year and there was some roads under construction after Channarayapattana till Medikeri which should be completed by now.
I also checked trains but only 2 trains ply from Bangalore (KSR BENGALURU) till Karwar. Karwar is around 220 kms far from where I have booked a resort so not looking feasible. Am I looking correctly or is there any other station near Udipi (Malpe)?
Thanks for all your inputs. Hoping for a good stress-free journey. I知 not in a hurry to reach Udipi anyways so will take it very easy.

The art of travelling between Bangalore - Mangalore/Udupi-route-udipi2.jpg

_Karan
Old 24th March 2017, 07:47   #7142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanu2k15 View Post
I also checked trains but only 2 trains ply from Bangalore (KSR BENGALURU) till Karwar. Karwar is around 220 kms far from where I have booked a resort so not looking feasible. Am I looking correctly or is there any other station near Udipi (Malpe)?
Thanks for all your inputs. Hoping for a good stress-free journey. I知 not in a hurry to reach Udipi anyways so will take it very easy.
_Karan
Train no 16523 stops at Udupi, Barkur & Kundapur, see which one is near to your resort and plan accordingly.

If your driver heart wants you to drive then as you are not time bound, you can stick to Shiradi route than taking a detour via Madikeri albeit you need to watch out for the ones mentioned in our previous posts.
DragonHawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 09:00   #7143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I also checked trains but only 2 trains ply from Bangalore (KSR BENGALURU) till Karwar
The night train is very comfortable and I would suggest that you go with that to ensure maximum comfort. As mentioned by Dragonhawk, the train does stop in multiple stations and hence you should be able to find one close to your resort.

Other option - Fly to Mangalore and then take a cab or selfdrive. Cost differential between 3 tier AC train tickets and Flight is about Rs 500 per head
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 09:15   #7144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I assume you have booked in Paradise Isle Malpe.

The Bangalore - Karwar trains originally terminated at Mangalore, but now they continue upto Karwar. They stop at Udupi which is about 20 minutes from Malpe, and atleast 5 more stops before reaching Karwar.

Why would you assume that a train going to Karwar would not have any stop for 220 km; it's not a plane
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2017, 20:38   #7145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
Train no 16523 stops at Udupi, Barkur & Kundapur, see which one is near to your resort and plan accordingly.
If your driver heart wants you to drive then as you are not time bound, you can stick to Shiradi route than taking a detour via Madikeri albeit you need to watch out for the ones mentioned in our previous posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
The night train is very comfortable and I would suggest that you go with that to ensure maximum comfort. As mentioned by Dragonhawk, the train does stop in multiple stations and hence you should be able to find one close to your resort.
Other option - Fly to Mangalore and then take a cab or selfdrive. Cost differential between 3 tier AC train tickets and Flight is about Rs 500 per head
Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
I assume you have booked in Paradise Isle Malpe.
The Bangalore - Karwar trains originally terminated at Mangalore, but now they continue upto Karwar. They stop at Udupi which is about 20 minutes from Malpe, and atleast 5 more stops before reaching Karwar.
Why would you assume that a train going to Karwar would not have any stop for 220 km; it's not a plane
I値l Drive and stick to Shiradi route. Thanks for all your suggestions. Have booked an XUV 5OO self-drive. Had found the correct train too but then the cost to drive was coming almost same but which driving I get the freedom to drive nearby places too, don稚 have to deal with all the cabbies.

_Karan
kanu2k15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2017, 01:03   #7146
BANNED

About trains - Does that pass through the ghats early morning? The scenery would be mesmerizing. If i remember right, it was the case in the early nineties.
Old 31st March 2017, 07:07   #7147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangover View Post
About trains - Does that pass through the ghats early morning? The scenery would be mesmerizing. If i remember right, it was the case in the early nineties.
Yes, but make sure that you have sufficient time in hand, because it takes a lot of time to reach mangalore / udupi /karwar. It would be awesome in rainy season.
Old 3rd April 2017, 10:26   #7148
BHPian

I visited hometown Puttur over the weekend. Decided to take Beat this time.

Onward: While going I took Mysore-Madikeri road, since I have not been on that road for a while now. Left from Bangalore home at 4.15 in the morning. Took a short breakfast stop at Periyapatna and was in Puttur by 10.45 AM. breezy and uneventful drive.

Return: Started from Puttur at 4.45 PM on Sunday evening. This time took Sakaleshpura-Hassan road. It was a bliss ride. Took a fairly long break of 45 mins at A2B after Hassan. Still, I was entering Bangalore by 10.00PM and was on bed by 11.00PM.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION The bad stretch of 10 KM road after Gundya has been repaired. They have done path work of that stretch. Patch work looks good. I was in Beat and only felt few road jolts inside, I am sure, if I was in Duster wouldn't even feel a single one.

Random thoughts while driving
I was expecting a busier road due to Yugadi festiviteis, but roads were relatively empty.

The summer is looking very strong this time. Even Madikeri was hot when I reached there at around 9.

I have observed very rash driving of the new Innova crysta by taxi guys. A minimum of three yellow board Innovas overtook on blind turns and was scary. Also saw 2 banged up Innova crystas. They were also yellow plates. All these could be just a co-incidence.

Overall, a enjoyable driving weekend.
sathya.bhat is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 14:17   #7149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya.bhat View Post

IMPORTANT INFORMATION The bad stretch of 10 KM road after Gundya has been repaired. They have done path work of that stretch. Patch work looks good. I was in Beat and only felt few road jolts inside, I am sure, if I was in Duster wouldn't even feel a single one.

Great to hear that. Happy to see they patching up within a month. Not sure about the rains, but at least we can enjoy summer drives now
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 20:20   #7150
Senior - BHPian

I will be going from Bangalore to Udupi next week, need some advice on routes. I will be driving alone from Bangalore to Udupi, and returning with my family. I drive an S-Cross.

Planning to leave Bangalore at 4am, which means I should comfortably be in Udupi for lunch.

1. What is the condition of Charmadi ghat road? Advisable to take that route over Shiradi ghat?
2. Regardless of which ghat I take, I will finally end up in Ujire. Now, after Ujire-Belthangady, I have a choice of roads to Karkala - one via Moodabidri and the other via Bajegoli. Which would you recommend?

Since I will be with family on the way back, I will take the Shiradi ghat - since it has more options to stop off for small breaks. Would you agree?
Old 6th April 2017, 20:40   #7151
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
1. What is the condition of Charmadi ghat road?
The Ghat itself remains in good to very good condition apart from the whole route which also is good.

Quote:
Advisable to take that route over Shiradi ghat?
Charmadi - For very less traffic, more beautiful & scenic, Ghat ends in under 30 minutes (The feeling of ghat lasts only so much) this is the one to take.

It may not be faster to Shiradi but depending on time and day you drive, this is at par with Shiradi when I have compared the timings.

A lot (and lot) lesser trucks on this route - Icing on cake - No need to overtake empty capsule gas tankers!!.

Quote:
2. Regardless of which ghat I take, I will finally end up in Ujire. Now, after Ujire-Belthangady, I have a choice of roads to Karkala - one via Moodabidri and the other via Bajegoli. Which would you recommend?
No you need not really come to Ujire if you take Shiradi. Not really the right option anyway. If you take Shiradi, you better take Mangalore Udupi road. That makes sense over Ujire.

Now, If you take Charmadi, for cleaner roads, its got to be Ujire - Belthangady - Guruvayanakere - Naravi - Bajagoli - Karkala - Nitte - Belman - Udupi.

Quote:
Since I will be with family on the way back, I will take the Shiradi ghat - since it has more options to stop off for small breaks. Would you agree?
Agreed. So if you are driving Solo, you can always take the Charmadi route and love driving your S-Cross and enjoy the beauty. You certainly won't be disappointed. For Return, there's always Shiradi.

Last edited by paragsachania : 6th April 2017 at 20:43.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 21:40   #7152
Senior - BHPian

Drove via shiradi today. Pothole free drive and enjoyed it.

Sad to see stretch between Hassan to sakleshpur turn into a mass graveyard. These very same trees made me want to drive along this stretch again and again and now !! All of them are dying

The pace is pretty fast, i last drove in March and compared to that lot of progress.
Old 11th April 2017, 12:53   #7153
BHPian

Drove from Kundapur to Bangalore via Shiradi yesterday.
Started from Kundapur at 1130. Had a quick lunch break for 30 mins at Uppinangadi. Managed to reach home @ Bannergatta road by 7.15pm. The roads through the ghats were great with hardly any potholes. Sad to see the road expansion between Hassan n Sakleshpur. Trees have been cut on a huge scale.
Old 11th April 2017, 13:13   #7154
BHPian

Re: Suratkal Toll?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallik9 View Post
Drove from Kundapur to Bangalore via Shiradi yesterday.
Are they collecting tolls at Hejamady and also at Suratkal?

I was told that once toll at Hejamady is open, the Suratkal toll would be closed.
Old 11th April 2017, 14:01   #7155
Team-BHP Support

Yes, the Hejamady toll is operational. It is free for KA20 vehicles, so I don't have to pay.

But Suratkal toll is not going away, it is free for KA19 vehicles. So both tolls are operational together.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ゥ2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks