Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2012, 19:58   #601
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshavarthan View Post
But I did find a few vehicles crossing from Manali side. How is that possible?

And man, have to say.. You are TOO FAST
I guess with permits from the govt guys (SDM?) in Manali, u can drive upto Rohtang n beyond on Tuesday too! And I recommend everyone this : tuesday can save you hours. A Scorpio guy came into Keylong late monday night, cursing rohtang and its mess! The cafe owners near Rohtang confirmed that massive jams are a common sight!
And Fast? - - let's just say my co-passengers were co-operative!
Old 14th June 2012, 23:40   #602
BHPian

Hi,

Can someone point me (or attach) the excel sheet giving details of the route to be followed from Delhi to Leh via Srinagar. I think HVK had prepared one but I cannot seem to locate it.

TIA

<< Mods if you can delete this as HVK read my mind and sent me the same>>

Last edited by indianrunner : 14th June 2012 at 23:50.
Old 15th June 2012, 16:27   #603
BHPian

Team,

The following is the tentative plan for my travel to Ladakh in the peak of tourist season :-(

Comments/ suggestions are welcome. This is for 4/5 people in a Pajero and some of the outstation stays would depend on the availability of accommodation etc.

Cheers

25-Jun delhi-udhampur
26-Jun udhampur-srinagar
27-Jun Srinagar
28-Jun srinagar-kargil
29-Jun kargil-alchi
30-Jun alchi-leh
1-Jul in leh
2-Jul leh-pangong
3-Jul pangong-leh
4-Jul in leh
5-Jul leh-hunder-turtuk
6-Jul turtuk-hunder-leh
7-Jul in leh
8-Jul leh-tso moriri
9-Jul tso moriri-sarchu\jispa
10-Jul jispa-manali/kullu
11-Jul kullu-delhi(chandigarh)
Old 15th June 2012, 19:05   #604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianrunner View Post
Team,

The following is the tentative plan for my travel to Ladakh in ........-delhi(chandigarh)
Hi indianrunner,

I'll be in Ladakh around the same time as well, my trip is planned for 22nd June to the 5th July. Say Hi if you see a Silver Swift with LTD bouncing around in the himalayas

I am in the process of finalising accomodation and Budget for acco at this time. Can anybody here help me with possible places to sleep and amount charged at those places ?

These are the planned overnight spots where i'm yet to finalise accomodation.

Kargil
Diskit
Spangmik or Tangste
Sarchu

Also, we are all guys(bachelors) and don't mind roughing it out a bit.

Awaiting replies!
Old 21st June 2012, 14:50   #605
BHPian

I am back after a trip to Ladakh starting at Srinagar. Left Srinagar at 7 am on 11 June and had breakfast at Sonmarg, then a brief hold up at Zoji la due to those hair-pin turns where a few trucks needed time to go around. had lunch at Drass and reached the War memorial 5 km beyond. Evening saw us in Kargil.

The next day started for Leh, stopped at Mulbek for bfast, then the road was good and bad in turns as we crossed some highs (Fotula), saw the lamayaru monastery and had lunch at Khaltse. Reached Leh by evening. it is about 200 km each day give and take a few kilometres.

After the third day at Leh on the fourth day left for Nubra. The Khardungla pass was at 35 km but one has to take it easy at over 18000 feet and we decided to wait there on the way back so we r that much better acclimatized. The cars behind us got stuck as the road suddenly got blocked by a snow slide that took 90 minutes to clear. At Hunder we visited the sand dunes and the double hump camels along the Shyok river.
Next morning went to Diskit monastory - was quite a climb - and then to Panamik on the valley towards Siachen. The Sulphur springs are not a big deal and one can miss that part of the drive. Sumur monastory on the way back is an option.
A snow slide at the Khardungla this time took away one Innova into the valley and two passengers lost their lives. The cars had to wait at North Pullu - about 15 km short for three hours at 16000 feet. The vehicles coming from Leh were sent back. Reached Leh late in the evening by 7 pm or so.
pangong via Changla pass was the last item. The ride was a breeze compared to the previous one to Nubra and we were better acclimatised too. The road is bad in patches at the Changla. Pangong tso is a long lake, partly in China and there are a lot of tent accomodations there. But June is not the month to stay there and we thought it was pointless staying at the lake side at 14000 feet. Had lunch and returned to Leh.
Our car was an Innova and the driver, although young, was mature beyond his years.
Acclimatisation is the main issue here and if one flies to Leh, it is that much tougher. Move slowly and dont get out of breath for the first four days is the key. Headaches, occasional nausea, sleeplessness and common. Mineral bottled water is recommended.
Will post some of the snaps later!
Old 21st June 2012, 16:24   #606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentflyer View Post
I am back after a trip to Ladakh starting at Srinagar. Left Srinagar at 7 am on 11 June and had breakfast at Sonmarg, then a brief hold up at Zoji la due to those hair-pin turns where a few trucks needed time to go around. had lunch at Drass and reached the War memorial 5 km beyond. Evening saw us in Kargil.!
Please let us know about the hotels you stayed in. Did you book them in advance? How tough was the zoji la?
Old 22nd June 2012, 18:40   #607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitvp View Post
Please let us know about the hotels you stayed in. Did you book them in advance? How tough was the zoji la?

At Srinagar we stayed at a Houseboat at the Dal which was not so good. At Kargil we stayed at PC Palace in the bazaar area...which was just for one night and as good as can be expected in those parts. At Leh we in all stayed five nights at Hotel Manser which is conveniently located and a personalised service place which we found comfortable.

Zoji la was snow bound and the melting snow made the roads for a few kilometres slippery and full of puddles. I will post a few photographs of the area around Zoji la. Of course once you have been to Khardung la, the Zoji la seems like a trailer to the main one!
Old 24th June 2012, 10:23   #608
BHPian

Hi fellas
I have plans to leave for ladakh in coming week...
We are two person, preferring to get some more company.
(Bike we are looking but not a preferred option)
If anybody has plans to leave for leh in his own vehicle or hired suv in coming days and interested in sharing, we would like to hop in. (Surely all logistic cost will be shared equally).
Do let me know friends! Dates can be managed mutually.
Thanks!
Old 26th June 2012, 01:32   #609
BHPian

Quote:
Abhijitvp
Hi
You can stay at the J&K tourist bunglow at Kargil,Drass and Mulbekh.I have stayed at two viz Drass and Mulbekh.
For a very large room and a sitting room and a large bathroom with geyser at Drass I paid rs 300 and at Mulbekh paid rs200.Excellent value for money.
Car parking at all the places.
There are other places where they have these bunglows.AFAIK they have at Leh also.
Hope this helps
Regards
Old 26th June 2012, 11:04   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
You can stay at the J&K tourist bunglow at Kargil,Drass and Mulbekh.I have stayed at two viz Drass and Mulbekh.
Hi Faustus, tks for the info! Me and my wife are planning to travel to Leh in Sept and are looking at accommodation options enroute. The J&K Tourist Bungalow seems like a very good option.

Can you please advise if bookings are required to be done in advance and who to contact in such a case.

Thanks.
Old 26th June 2012, 11:05   #611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Abhijitvp
Hi
For a very large room and a sitting room and a large bathroom with geyser at Drass I paid rs 300 and at Mulbekh paid rs200.Excellent value for money.
Car parking at all the places.
There are other places where they have these bunglows.AFAIK they have at Leh also.
Hope this helps
Regards
Thanks faustus. Did you book them in advance? If yes, then please let us know how to do it.
Old 26th June 2012, 15:22   #612
BHPian

Hi all,

I am travelling from July 1 to July 10 with my family from Srinagar to Leh by road and then to one / two day trips to Nubra and Pangong from Leh. Request your advice on following:

a) what is the coldest temperature that we are likely to face on this route and at this time. Do we need to carry thermals and woollen gloves and caps.

b) Will we need both windcheaters as well as warm clothes or only windcheaters will do.

c) Which are the medicine / pills to keep to avoid and cure altitude sickness.

Thanks for the help.
Old 26th June 2012, 23:01   #613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatro View Post
Hi all,

I am travelling from July 1 to July 10 with my family from Srinagar to Leh by road and then to one / two day trips to Nubra and Pangong from Leh. Request your advice on following:

a) what is the coldest temperature that we are likely to face on this route and at this time. Do we need to carry thermals and woollen gloves and caps.

b) Will we need both windcheaters as well as warm clothes or only windcheaters will do.

Thanks for the help.
Just back from a road trip to Srinagar- Kargil - Leh - Pangong - Manali.
Coldest temprature would be near freezing tempratures at Pangong. The wind chill factor will further make it cold. i.e. you will feel more cold when it is windy. At high Passes Khardungla enroute to Nubra and Mighty Chang La temperature reading in my car was howvering between -2 to 3 degree Celsius.

If you are staying in tents overnight at Pangong and Nubra then thermals/inners will be helpful.Monkey cap is must have and also gloves.
Kargil will be cold but not as cold as nubra and pangong.Carry lots of cold cream/moisturizer.

Have Diamox pills one in morning and one at night this will help you in keeping altitude sickness away. Also drink lots of water. You will drink it anyways. Alcohol is a strict no no. Since you are taking the Srinagar - Kargil route AMS will not be much of an issue. It usually hits people who fly down directly to leh or to people who take the manali leh route.

If any of your family members have motion then taking AVOMINE is advisable. Please check with you family doctor for Diamox and Avomine usage.Start having Diamox a day before you start the climb to Kargil -Leh.

Enjoy your trip..... You will realize at the end of the trip that you have been to heaven and back............
Swift Express is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 01:40   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks faustus. Did you book them in advance? If yes, then please let us know how to do it.
Abhijitvp/PGNarain
Hi
I did not book but landed up and got the room.Only thing is at Drass I checked in at 16.30 hours and at Mulbekh at 1800 hours.
Approximately at the same time on my return journey.
I will look up the telephone no of their Kargil office and you can call them and ask if they would book in advance.
Regards

Last edited by faustus77 : 27th June 2012 at 01:42.
faustus77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2012, 15:00   #615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatro View Post
Hi all,

Thanks for the help.
I just returned and managed without Diamox. In any case, if you want to take Diamox it is to be started 5 days before and then in the lower dose of 125 mg twice a day. But this only helps at night when one may breathe less than necessary. Diamox causes some changes in body pH that increase the rate of breathing. it also has a few side effects so one must be aware of that too.
frequentflyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks