Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2013, 22:26   #781
BHPian

Re: Leh and Ladakh - Trip Planning - All queries go here

Hello people.

I'm also planning for this trip and August 15 sounds like a good day to go independent, right?

It'll be just the two of us. Please do let me know if anybody planning around that time.

Fairly inexperienced in that sort of terrain. Rohtang defeated us the only time I tried to cross it (partly because of the SUV showroom they set up there).

I should be able to free up around 16 days for the trip. Would need all the help i can get. Thanks.
Old 12th February 2013, 23:20   #782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoczar View Post
Hello people.

I'm also planning for this trip and August 15 sounds like a good day to go independent, right?

It'll be just the two of us ...
I am planning it around the same time. But I would keep around 20 days minimum for it.
Old 13th February 2013, 00:07   #783
BHPian

After salivating shamelessly and being tortured senseless by the exploits of travelogue junkies Hvkumar and tsk1979 for the last few years, I have no option but to take the plunge this year.

I simply don't have the willpower to subject myself to another barrage of stunning Leh threads this year

Me and a friend, and a Duster to transport our willing bodies. I have room for 2 and reading this thread it does seem there are multiple large and individual trips being planned.

I will keep on reading and pitch my tent with the most convenient timings.
Old 13th February 2013, 18:25   #784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoczar View Post
Hello people.

I'm also planning for this trip and August 15 sounds like a good day to go independent, right? It'll be just the two of us. .
Hi czar,

Are you planning this in your swift or SUV. You mentioned that its just two of you. Probably both drive.

Your detailed planning would be of a great interest. Please do share the details once you are ready.

I am hoping to make a Hyd- Ladakh trip next year

Cheers
NH
Old 13th February 2013, 21:49   #785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Hawk View Post
Hi czar,

Are you planning this in your swift or SUV. You mentioned that its just two of you. Probably both drive.

Your detailed planning would be of a great interest. Please do share the details once you are ready.

I am hoping to make a Hyd- Ladakh trip next year

Cheers
NH
Hi sir,

I sold my swift today.. planning to buy the new swift or Dzire - Diesel.

and, I'm really bad at planning. This fact really came out in my big north trip. (Summers in India) . WOuld greatly depend on HVK, Tsk1979, milecruncher etc for the trip.

will share the details... pakka!

TC
unoczar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 23:23   #786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksperliter View Post
Hi Shiva,

I am doing leh ladakh trip this June/August in my Thar CRDe from bangalore. If you are interested to accompany our vehicle nothing beats that. I am reachable on my 9742955155
Most probably, I would be doing the trip with my group of Enfield riders. dates are around Aug 15. Will keep this thread updated on our plans once they are finalized. will join one of the groups here in case the riders group plans do not materialize.
Old 14th February 2013, 10:08   #787
Senior - BHPian

Looks like this year quite a few groups will be going up the mountains. It will be nice to have a Team-bhp meet up at K'La.

How do we recognize each other? Simple, get a sticker pasted
Old 14th February 2013, 16:24   #788
BHPian

Call us mad or plain stupid. Samarth
Bhatia and I are planning on Leh this year with two cocktail green beats. Our eyes are all on this thread we also may need an SUV just in case to pull us out. No dates finalized yet. Watching you folks very carefully.
Old 15th February 2013, 00:05   #789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhishekB86 View Post
Call us mad or plain stupid. Samarth
Bhatia and I are planning on Leh this year with two cocktail green beats. Our eyes are all on this thread we also may need an SUV just in case to pull us out. No dates finalized yet. Watching you folks very carefully.
Hi.
As mentioned earlier in reply to your posts I did it in a cocktail green beat.
However go via Srinagar and if Rohtang is clear return by that route.
A doctor in Baroda drove to Leh in a spark.Remember reading about a nano doing that trip.
As mentioned to you earlier an ikon had to be towed by a crane as they were stuck in the slush.They had to retrace and drive via Drass
Anyway,bon voyage.
Regards
faustus77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 17:11   #790
Senior - BHPian

I am thinking of driving down to Leh from Bangalore this Aug/early Sep. As plans firm up, will see if I - in my Bison (that is my black Fortuner) can join one of the convoys leaving from Bangalore or Mumbai.

Some other Fortuners might also join (from what the owners are saying) - Admiral, Obelix etc.

I would most likely take the Mumbai route since road conditions can slow one down in the Bangalore - Nagpur - Delhi route. Plan to drive 1000kms+ per day till I reach the mountains, and then take it easy. I might have some friends join me in my vehicle.

@Manuuj, Guderian: are you game?

Last edited by nilanjanray : 19th February 2013 at 17:19.
Old 21st February 2013, 04:53   #791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Some other Fortuners might also join (from what the owners are saying) - Admiral, Obelix etc.

@Manuuj, Guderian: are you game?
Early Sept this could see me in !
About 15 days of leave should suffice I guess as per an earlier plan which never was executed.
Old 25th February 2013, 16:34   #792
BHPian

Hey Goody Saar and Nilanjan,

Nice, you are finally going to do it. Am planning to do the same but mid May, want to catch some snow this time and thinking of Zanskar and Changthang or Spiti loop in the reverse, depending on Road conditions. Taking my Parents along ..Lets see how that works.
Manmohan.
Old 4th March 2013, 18:09   #793
BHPian

Hello friends,

Am planning a trip to leh from mumbai in late may or june depending upon road conditions. Will be travelling by scorpio crde 2wd.

Am planning to go via srinagar but on going through the forum , last year the manali route was supposed to have been in better condition in june. Have set aside 15 days for the trip. Would like some help with the route and the itinerary . Also whether the scorpio would require additional skid plates / sump guards or further underbelly protection.

I read in this thread about the need to get extra nuts and bolts fitted with extra strengthening of the car. Anything specific for the scorpio. Will put in concentrated coolant in the colder regions and carry extra engine oil along. Car has done 45000 kms and according to the service advisors is fine. The clutch and brakes are fine according to them.

Should i still require any preventive maintenance on them?Have fitted mrf wanderer tyres. Will I require snow chains at this time in the higher passes? If so where to get it. Would they also be helpful in the slush near rohtang pass. Also from where should we acquire jackets and other cold weather attire. I understand from other posts that one should dress in layers.(underwear, thermal wear, routine clothes, sweaters, jackets , gloves , ear muffs) Would mumbai be alright for the jackets or should we get it from srinagar / leh / manali.

Would a tarpaulin sheet or something to cover the enginebay be also required during the night hours. (I have just changed the battery). Also any special cover sheet to be used to secure the luggage on the roof carrier when driving through steep inclines or descents . (I have never used a roof carrier before). Recommended tyre pressure for the scorpio while in himalayan rock and slush territory ? Routinely it is 32 for all tyres.
I am using the stock mineral engine oil from the beginning. Should I change it to synthetic oil for this trip.

Would i need a crowbar, shovel, wooden plank(what size and thickness) , extra rubber mats also besides a battery jumper cable and a tow rope with shackles, tyre pressure gauge, portable air compressor (please help with advice on shops for these in mumbai). I have spectacles so would I require photochromatic lenses for the ladakh trip. I would request the veterans for advice. Also any specific driving tips for the scorpio on inclines /descents like the chang la etc and the slush in rohtang and at water crossings would be nice .

Last edited by GTO : 5th March 2013 at 14:03. Reason: PM coming up
Old 4th March 2013, 20:17   #794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhatshah View Post
Will be travelling by scorpio crde 2wd. Am planning to go via srinagar but on going through the forum , last year the manali route was supposed to have been in better condition in june
Ideal to go via Srinagar and exit via Manali for a couple of reasons :

1. Need to obtain permits if you take the Manali route but exiting via Manali does not require any permits
2. You get acclimatized better by going via Srinagar.

Quote:
Also whether the scorpio would require additional skid plates / sump guards or further underbelly protection. I read in this thread about the need to get extra nuts and bolts fitted with extra strengthening of the car
None of these required.

Quote:
Anything specific for the scorpio. Should i still require any preventive maintenance on them?
This is what I did, two weeks prior to the trip (both times)

1. Replaced the engine oil/oil filter
2. Replaced the fuel filter
3. Check and replace the air filter
4. Check the brake pads & brake liners
5. Checked all the hoses.
6. Engine oil and Coolant - Carry 1 ltr each

Quote:
Have fitted mrf wanderer tyres. Will I require snow chains at this time in the higher passes?
Might come in handy but not sure where to source them from. However, GREF/BRO constantly monitor the roads and clears the snow. So, the possibility of getting stuck is very slim.

Quote:
Would mumbai be alright for the jackets or should we get it from srinagar / leh / manali
Get it from Mumbai itself. June being a tourist time, the prices might be high in Srinagar/Leh.

Quote:
Would a tarpaulin sheet or something to cover the enginebay be also required during the night hours.
Yes, carry a tarpaulin sheet or a thick blanket.

Quote:
Also any special cover sheet to be used to secure the luggage on
the roof carrier when driving through steep inclines or descents
How many of you're going? Its easier to use the last row than breaking your head arranging the bags on a roof carrier and you'll end up spending a lot of time too. I haven't used one, so can't comment on that.

Quote:
Recommended tyre pressure for the scorpio while in himalayan rock and slush territory ? Routinely it is 32 for all tyres
32 psi and fill nitrogen. Tire pressure does remain stable for a long time.

Quote:
I am using the stock mineral engine oil from the beginning. Should I change it to synthetic oil for this trip
Not necessary. Stick to your normal engine oil.

Quote:
Would i need a crowbar, shovel, wooden plank(what size and thickness) , extra rubber mats also besides a battery jumper cable and a tow rope with shackles, tyre pressure gauge, portable air compressor (please help with advice on shops for these in mumbai)
Crowbar & Wooden plank - Wouldn't be necessary.
Rest of the stuff - Yes. You'll have to obtain them from any of the car accessory shops or try ebay.

Quote:
I have spectacles so would I require photochromatic lenses for the ladakh trip.
No info on that.

Quote:
Also any specific driving tips for the scorpio on inclines /descents like the chang la etc and the slush in rohtang and at water crossings would be nice .
Places where there is too much of incline/rocks, just ease your way out. Don't burn the clutch by revving too hard. Be gentle on your right foot.

Good luck and have a safe journey
aviorp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2013, 16:16   #795
BHPian

Hi All,

One query to folks who have done Leh/Ladakh in their Yetis already, how did u find the handling of the yeti on those tough terrain? Was Yeti able to give enough confidence to drive on those tracks? I have driven the Yeti so far on the plains and highways and planning to do Ladakh during Aug this year and also thinking of driving down from Bangalore, hence seeking your suggestions. Also would appreciate if folks could advise if a person like me who cant even change the fuses on his own manage on such remote terrains on my own as I will be basically be travelling with family without anyone who has a fair bit of knowledge on basic things like changing fuse/filtes, fixing punctures.etc. Please provide your suggestions, thanks!

Thanks,
Sid
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks