Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2011, 16:55   #16
BHPian

re: New Delhi - Amritsar : Route Queries

Why don't you go in Shatabdi, It will be very confortable. From station you can take Rickshaw/auto to Golden Temple. It tales 10-15 mins from Station.You can hire Canb for Hotel to Wagah border which is not much costly. Bhrawan da Dhabha is near golden temple, you can take rickshaw to Bhrawan da Dhaba.

From Karnal to Amrtisar, road widening work is going on so it will take more time to travel, best option is shatabdi to save time
Old 19th April 2011, 17:01   #17
BHPian

There is famous machhi shop on lawrence road named Makhan Chicken and Fish Shop, Kesar lassi shop in Hall Bazar, Pure desi Ghee sweet shop at mata kaulan ji, eat amritsari chole kulche (Chownk paragdas corner shop) this is near to golden temple
Old 19th April 2011, 17:04   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Update upto ambala is as of yesterday is upto panipat its smooth and after panipat toll road widening in progress which will slow you down.

Also watchout speed gun near sonepat,karnal area. Got caught yesterday while returning.
Sorry for the OT but I had a few questions:

Till where, after Panipat, is the widening going on? Or is the one that's been going on for such a long time now?

Were the speed guns within town limits or on the highway? Would they be there around 7 AM?

And am feeling so hungry now!
Old 19th April 2011, 17:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

Mandy - keen on the road trip. Should be fun. Plus I think I have enough time for what I have planned.

But that said:

This whole road widening thing is getting me a bit worried. Is it really chaotic or "ya there's work going on but no biggie really"?

Edit - Good point brought up by L.O.G. Till where is this road widening thing going on? All the way to Amritsar?

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 19th April 2011 at 17:27.
Old 19th April 2011, 17:24   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post

Till where, after Panipat, is the widening going on? Or is the one that's been going on for such a long time now?
It is not road widening as such; they are building flyovers over each town.
This continues for quite long; even after Karnal.

You don't get stuck; just that you need to get off the main lane, travel in the service lane for ~100m and then get back on.
Old 19th April 2011, 17:50   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Thanks bluevolt. But I guess Murthal would be too early a stop. I would like to drive at least a couple hours before I make my first stop for breakfast. Any suggestion on dhabas in and around Karnal?
OK, if you don't want to stop at murthal then try Jhilmil dhaba (karnal) - it is best for paranthas and tea. If you are an non-veg then do check out Mayur Dhaba (karnal), their food is better than Jhilmil and butter chicken is their specialty. We have famous Haveli which is the best but expensive than other two.

There will be many others, just keep an eye around the route. And regarding fuel, don't worry you will find many fuel stations along the route.

Good luck for your journey, do post pics after you complete your trip.

Last edited by bluevolt : 19th April 2011 at 17:51.
Old 19th April 2011, 18:00   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
It is not road widening as such; they are building flyovers over each town.
This continues for quite long; even after Karnal.

You don't get stuck; just that you need to get off the main lane, travel in the service lane for ~100m and then get back on.
Yeah, have gotten used to that now.

@Urban_Nomad: Mate, make sure that you leave Delhi as early as possible. Once the traffic on NH-1 increases, there are many a times one can get stuck behind slow moving trucks/tractors on those ~100m side lanes. Not an issue time wise, as it adds 20-30 minutes to total traveling time but being stuck really irritates me.
Old 19th April 2011, 18:18   #23
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Were the speed guns within town limits or on the highway? Would they be there around 7 AM?

And am feeling so hungry now!
i went upto rajpura. Widening work was going on there. These diversion slows you down. Karnal and shahbad are bad.

Speed guns are on higway. Steep fine upto 110 kmph 400 above that 1000 rs.
I doubt they will there early morning.
Old 19th April 2011, 18:55   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Jhilmil dhaba (karnal) - it is best for paranthas and tea. If you are an non-veg then do check out Mayur Dhaba (karnal), their food is better than Jhilmil and butter chicken is their specialty. We have famous Haveli which is the best but expensive than other two.
Blue - Here's what I wrote about the two dhabas you mention in my opening post mate:

Quote:

Khaana enroute Amritsar - I read a few threads praising the "Jhilmil dhaba" chicken and aaloo paratha. However, this was back in 2007. I went through a few more reviews (googled "jhilmil dhaba") and it seems its a far cry from what it used to be. "Mayur Dhaba" is another name that pops up (have actually had breakfast there on a couple of ocassions) but I don't think very highly of it. Any suggestions for an early breakfast stop? It would be quite sad if we have to resort to munching on some "Mc D" junk on this trip. Please remember though, I am with family and the place must be where all of us can eat in peace without having to constantly look over our shoulders. If its not too much, maybe chip in some advice on what to order at the suggested venue (Veg and Non veg).
Have you been to either of these dhabas recently?

(Gulp)The sad proposition of breakfast at Mc D's is fast becoming a reality. (Sigh)

My 2nd stop-over will be at the "Jalandhar Haveli", so no point in going to the Karnal one for breakfast.

Thanks for your good wishes. Will definitely post pics with details of the trip. Pakka.

Quote:
@Urban_Nomad: Mate, make sure that you leave Delhi as early as possible.
Thanks for the heads up. Intend to begin by 5 a.m. latest.
Old 20th April 2011, 07:27   #25
BHPian

Hello Urban_Nomad.

Please do visit these joints if you are a foodie -

1) Beera Chicken on Majitha Road - Fantastic coal grilled chicken and Keema naan. Best in the business.
2) Amritsari Kulcha Opposite Hindu Sabha College (Old City)
3) Lemonade at Crystal Chowk
4) Bharawan Da Dhaba
5) Kesar Da Dhaba
6) Gyani Di Lassi (Near Hathi Gate)
7) Puri-Chana breakfast at Kanha Sweets or Bansal Sweets, Lawrence Road
8) Paneer Pakora's near Novelty
9) Brijwasi Chat - Crystal Chowk
10) Friends Dhaba - Queens Road
11) Parkash Meat - Maqbool Road

There are so many others. I will post as and when they come to my mind.
Have a fabulous trip. Don't forget to be in the Golden Temple Complex early in the morning (3-4 am) when the proceedings start in the Sanctum Sanctorum. It is a devine experience. Also please do partake the 'Langar' at Darbar Sahib to get a first hand experience of a Community Kitchen in the true sense of the word.

Happy Journey.

PS - En route, breakfast at Sukhdev Dhaba, Murthal is a must, if not then you can halt at Savoy Greens, Karnal (Opp Jhil Mil). It has a great food court and super-clean washrooms.

Lunching at Haveli, Phagwara-Jalandhar road is recommended. Good food and again, super-clean washrooms.

Last edited by Janjua : 20th April 2011 at 07:53.
Janjua is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2011, 12:05   #26
buz
BHPian

Hi Urban_Nomad: One more suggestion for Amritsari Chhole Kulche - I think the outlet is called 'India best' or something like that. It is a road side thingie and is situated on Maqbool Road. By far, from whoever I have met from the city and from blogs, etc. this is the best chhola kulcha place. Do try and go there. Single caveat - go very hungry and dont waste your appetite on carbonated beverages while eating there

Hope you have a great time in the great city.
Old 20th April 2011, 13:34   #27
Senior - BHPian

Janjua - janaab khush kar ditta. What a list. Me likes. I will try and cover them all if possible (Not sure of a very early stop over at Sukhdev. I have stopped at Savoy before and I agree with the details you have put down here). Promise will update details of my trip once back. Many thanks for your help and good wishes.

Buz - Thanks for the suggestion and your wishes mate.
Old 20th April 2011, 13:43   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
i went upto rajpura. Widening work was going on there. These diversion slows you down. Karnal and shahbad are bad.

Speed guns are on higway. Steep fine upto 110 kmph 400 above that 1000 rs.
I doubt they will there early morning.
Thanks for the update mate.

Hopefully I'll be past Karnal by 6 AM, so keeping fingers crossed.
Old 20th April 2011, 15:18   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmaka View Post
Hotel MK at Rs 2500 double including Breakfast, Try Calling Mr Sidharth for the best price 9417216187

try calling GM sales Mr Sanjay Kuchroo 09779633001
Hey Filmaka - Tried calling Sidharth. He passed me on to another lady who informed me that MK is sold out for Friday. So this is out of the window.

spoke with Mr Kuchroo though and he gave me a rate of 2700 per room per night with breakfast (Alstonia).

I think I will be finally going with Grand Legacy. Deal offered is 2300 per room per night with breakfast. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Quote:
Hopefully I'll be past Karnal by 6 AM, so keeping fingers crossed.
You going to Amritsar too? When are you planning to head out?
Old 20th April 2011, 15:31   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You going to Amritsar too? When are you planning to head out?
Looks like 3 cars would be starting off of Delhi on 22nd. I and LOG are going to Kinnaur and plan to start at 4am.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks