Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2011, 18:34   #1
Senior - BHPian

New Delhi - Amritsar : Route Queries

Hey everyone.

I am planning a family trip from Delhi to Amritsar (5 adults) this weekend (Friday 22nd - Sunday 24th) by road. I intend to start (latest) by 5 a.m. Friday.

I need information on a few aspects of this trip:
  • The route seems pretty straight forward, however, I have seen a few threads where almost everyone suggests avoiding the Jalandhar bypass and heading into the city instead. Is this still recommended? If yes, are there any landmarks that would help me identify this route rather than taking the bypass?
  • Fuel - Reliable bunks whilst going from Delhi and return journey too.
  • Road condition - Any pointers on bad / rough patches of road (both to and fro).
  • Khaana enroute Amritsar - I read a few threads praising the "Jhilmil dhaba" chicken and aaloo paratha. However, this was back in 2007. I went through a few more reviews (googled "jhilmil dhaba") and it seems its a far cry from what it used to be. "Mayur Dhaba" is another name that pops up (have actually had breakfast there on a couple of ocassions) but I don't think very highly of it. Any suggestions for an early breakfast stop? It would be quite sad if we have to resort to munching on some "Mc D" junk on this trip. Please remember though, I am with family and the place must be where all of us can eat in peace without having to constantly look over our shoulders. If its not too much, maybe chip in some advice on what to order at the suggested venue (Veg and Non veg).
  • Haveli (Jalandhar) - I intend to make this my next pit stop. However, I am not very sure this is located on the highway itself (like the Karnal Haveli). Are their enough / clear markers pointing to any diversion I may need to take?
  • In the city - I intend this to be a food trip (with some sightseeing thrown in). A visit to "Bhrawan da dhaba" is a must. Apart from that, where can I find the best Amritsari macchhi, butter chicken and brain (faaltu jokes shall be severely dealt with)? Not brain curry though. I loved the "bheja" at "Bade Mian" in Bombay and my taste buds have been itching and twitching for a while now. Apart from this, if you feel there are other deserving dishes that are getting a cold shoulder from me, please do not hesitate to put up details (dish, what place).
  • Accommodation - I am planning to bunk at the "Hotel Grand Legacy" (basis feedback from a few friends). Does anyone have a first hand experience they can share? If not, any other accommodations that can be suggested (Budget - 4 to 5k ish per room per night twin sharing)?
  • Sightseeing - Well, the itinerary looks somewhat like this; Reach Amritsar around lunch time and grab a quick bite. In the evening, head to the golden temple, back to the hotel, chill. Next day; goto the golden temple again, followed by Jalianwala bagh, lunch, wagah border, back to city for dinner, good night. Check out the next day and have an early lunch, head back to Delhi. If you feel there's something else that I can squeeze into the schedule, please do advise.
  • Anything else that I may have missed out that you feel must be mentioned.
Many thanks in advance fellow BHP-ians for your anticipated support.

Regards,

Karan
Old 18th April 2011, 19:04   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: New Delhi - Amritsar : Route Queries

Hey,

You could refer to my TL :
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...sar-wagah.html

When I'd gone, the road conditions were pretty good. But since the monsoons, I heard a friend who travelled from Amritsar-Delhi that they condition has deteriorated.

Even if the condition remains good, there are quite some diversions after Karnal owing to the flyover construction. We did not get into Jalandhar city as such; took the bypass.

The Jalandhar Haveli is mid-way thru' the bypass IIRC. In fact, Mc D and Haveli are almost in front of each other.

About the places to visit, you will get an idea from my TL. We first stayed at Hotel Royal Castle but were not very happy with the loos there so shifted to Hotel Mohan International (they are next to each other). There are plenty good hotels on Ranjit Avenue/Mall road.

An evening and 1 full day at Amritsar should be enough to cover all the places including Wagah.

Let me know if you want more details! Have a good trip.
Old 18th April 2011, 19:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

^^ Thanks Libran.

I had gone through your log before I started this thread. However, I wanted a perspective on current conditions (roads etc). The part you put up about the diversions post Karnal was helpful. Will keep an eye out.

Any khaana advice?
Old 18th April 2011, 19:31   #4
Team-BHP Support

When we'd travelled, we started from Gurgaon at 6.30am so took a breakfast halt at Haveli (50km from Mukarba Chowk).

Since we'd planned to visit Wagah that day itself, we did not stop anywhere later. Of course, we couldn't make it anyway. There are plenty dhabaas, a Mc D and another Haveli at Jalandhar so food is not at all going to be a problem.

A 5am start sounds good; will help you avoid traffic at Karnal.
Old 18th April 2011, 20:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Hey everyone.

I am planning a family trip from Delhi to Amritsar (5 adults) this weekend (Friday 22nd - Sunday 24th) by road. I intend to start (latest) by 5 a.m. Friday.

I need information on a few aspects of this trip:
  • The route seems pretty straight forward, however, I have seen a few threads where almost everyone suggests avoiding the Jalandhar bypass and heading into the city instead. Is this still recommended? If yes, are there any landmarks that would help me identify this route rather than taking the bypass?
  • Road condition - Any pointers on bad / rough patches of road (both to and fro).
  • Khaana enroute Amritsar - I read a few threads praising the "Jhilmil dhaba" chicken and aaloo paratha. However, this was back in 2007. I went through a few more reviews (googled "jhilmil dhaba") and it seems its a far cry from what it used to be. "Mayur Dhaba" is another name that pops up (have actually had breakfast there on a couple of ocassions) but I don't think very highly of it. Any suggestions for an early breakfast stop? It would be quite sad if we have to resort to munching on some "Mc D" junk on this trip. Please remember though, I am with family and the place must be where all of us can eat in peace without having to constantly look over our shoulders. If its not too much, maybe chip in some advice on what to order at the suggested venue (Veg and Non veg).
  • Haveli (Jalandhar) - I intend to make this my next pit stop. However, I am not very sure this is located on the highway itself (like the Karnal Haveli). Are their enough / clear markers pointing to any diversion I may need to take?
  • In the city - I intend this to be a food trip (with some sightseeing thrown in). A visit to "Bhrawan da dhaba" is a must. Apart from that, where can I find the best Amritsari macchhi, butter chicken and brain (faaltu jokes shall be severely dealt with)? Not brain curry though. I loved the "bheja" at "Bade Mian" in Bombay and my taste buds have been itching and twitching for a while now. Apart from this, if you feel there are other deserving dishes that are getting a cold shoulder from me, please do not hesitate to put up details (dish, what place).
  • Accommodation - I am planning to bunk at the "Hotel Grand Legacy" (basis feedback from a few friends). Does anyone have a first hand experience they can share? If not, any other accommodations that can be suggested (Budget - 4 to 5k ish per room per night twin sharing)?
  • Sightseeing - Well, the itinerary looks somewhat like this; Reach Amritsar around lunch time and grab a quick bite. In the evening, head to the golden temple, back to the hotel, chill. Next day; goto the golden temple again, followed by Jalianwala bagh, lunch, wagah border, back to city for dinner, good night. Check out the next day and have an early lunch, head back to Delhi. If you feel there's something else that I can squeeze into the schedule, please do advise.
Many thanks in advance fellow BHP-ians for your anticipated support.

Regards,

Karan
Pls why dont you try out AC rooms in Gurudwara itself, it can be booked on line as far as I know, it is very minimum charged with all amenities.It will help you to attend morning 4 AM aarti and Prakash in the Gurudwara. Wahe Guru Ji Ka Khalsa Wahe Guru Ji Ki Fateh
Old 18th April 2011, 20:57   #6
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Update upto ambala is as of yesterday is upto panipat its smooth and after panipat toll road widening in progress which will slow you down.

Also watchout speed gun near sonepat,karnal area. Got caught yesterday while returning.

Last edited by v&v : 18th April 2011 at 20:59.
Old 18th April 2011, 21:07   #7
BANNED

Hi

I did that sector few days ago.

The roads are Fantastic.

Stick to Haveli, they are at Jallandhar and 1 more of their outlet enroute.

At Amritsar, i would suggest "Hotel Sapphire" Just near the Golden Temple, right opposite Guru Gobind NRI Yatri Niwas.

Very clean hotel, Good food and very economical too.

Contact

Rahul Mehra | General Manager
Hotel Sapphire
Opp. Shri Guru Gobind Singh N.R.I Yatri Niwas
Amritsar - 143001 ( PUNJAB )
M : +91-95924-50270
Hotels in Amritsar, Amritsar Hotels, Golden Temple, Hotels near Golden Temple

I had got 5 double rooms with A/C and Complimentary Breakfast @ 1500/- per room.

you can refer my Name too.

You can do this

DAY-1
1) Delhi to Amritsar - 472 kms and almost 9 hours with 2 short breaks in between

2) Reach Amritsar the same day - Get into your room, go to the Terrace, check the rush and head to the Gurudwara (2 mins walk) have dinner there, (DONT EVER MISS)

3) Reach back hotel and rest

Day-2

1) Have breakfast at Hotel and at around 10 am do a 5 min walk across the road to Jallianwala Bagh

2) Come back to the Hotel by around 12 pm, get fresh and finish a Heavy lunch.

3) Leave Hotel by around 2 pm to the Wagah Border, you will reach there by around in 30 to 45 mins

4) You will have to endure a loooong queue and hot summer sun from 3:00 pm to 5 pm after which the temperature slightly cools down and the parade starts

5) 7:00 pm once the ceremony is done, head back to hotel and have dinner enroute at any suggested place.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 18th April 2011 at 21:15.
Old 18th April 2011, 23:27   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
At Amritsar, i would suggest "Hotel Sapphire" Just near the Golden Temple, right opposite Guru Gobind NRI Yatri Niwas.
How about the parking here?
When we'd gone, we'd booked a room a day before we started in one of the hotels on the road leading to the Golden Temple. We got lost finding the way and decided to find another way slightly away from all the chaos near the Golden Temple. One of the main reasons why we went to Ranjit Avenue : the manager of the hotel said they did not have a dedicated parking; cars would be parked on the street wherever there was place.

While on the way to the hotel we eventually stayed, we saw the hotel we'd booked a room in and found cars being parked a good .5km away.

Hence, we thought we'd rather spend 15min reaching the Golden Temple than have it next door but be uncertain about the car.
Old 19th April 2011, 00:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any khaana advice?
Do stop at murthal and try parathas at Sukhdev dhaba. I visit this place every month, very good food at reasonable rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post

Also watchout speed gun near sonepat,karnal area. Got caught yesterday while returning.
Don’t remember where I read this ‘driving with headlights on, speed guns cannot detect your vehicle.’ Now I don't know how true it is, have to try myself someday .

Last edited by bluevolt : 19th April 2011 at 00:43.
Old 19th April 2011, 02:32   #10
BHPian

Grand Legacy should be Rs 2200 -2500 for Double Sharing at your price you can get Hotel Ista it is a five star but services are not that good, I would recommend Hotel MK at Rs 2500 double including Breakfast, Try Calling Mr Sidharth for the best price 9417216187 call him between 1pm -3pm or between 11:00 pm till 1:00am Their rack rate is 4200 but tell him you got the rate online and they may get you the 2500-2800 double, It is a good big hotel and was the best hotel before Ista came in . Near MK Hotel Alstonia new hotel very good rooms is smaller than MK you can get prices as low as 1600 double try calling GM sales Mr Sanjay Kuchroo 09779633001 and ask for corporate rate and tell him got the rate on Internet, Also Best Western Merrion they have very good new rooms but smaller than MK GM sales Ms Vandana 09216773817 Also Country Inn has new rooms and is centrally located 01835050555, Merrion Alstonia and Country Inn are smaller hotels but they cam up in last 2 years so they have the best rooms, I would still stay in MK to get the punjabi feel and more lively atmosphere as the whole city hangs out there.
Old 19th April 2011, 09:24   #11
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
How about the parking here?
When we'd gone, we'd booked a room a day before we started in one of the hotels on the road leading to the Golden Temple. We got lost finding the way and decided to find another way slightly away from all the chaos near the Golden Temple. One of the main reasons why we went to Ranjit Avenue : the manager of the hotel said they did not have a dedicated parking; cars would be parked on the street wherever there was place.

While on the way to the hotel we eventually stayed, we saw the hotel we'd booked a room in and found cars being parked a good .5km away.

Hence, we thought we'd rather spend 15min reaching the Golden Temple than have it next door but be uncertain about the car.
They have Ample parking space, not to worry....

The experience of staying close the both the venues is best experienced than described.

What we did on both the occasions.....! Simple.......... get to the Hotel roof-top, check the RUSH, if its free-flowing, we just used to walk up 2 mins....

Jallianwala Bagh too is a 5 min walk from this hotel, more over i am too happy with the set-up this hotel has. compact,affordable but yet very very clean and effective.
Attached Thumbnails
New Delhi - Amritsar : Route Queries-imag_0247.jpg  

Old 19th April 2011, 09:52   #12
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmaka View Post
Grand Legacy should be Rs 2200 -2500 for Double Sharing at your price you can get Hotel Ista it is a five star but services are not that good, I would recommend Hotel MK at Rs 2500 double including Breakfast, Try Calling Mr Sidharth for the best price 9417216187 call him between 1pm -3pm or between 11:00 pm till 1:00am Their rack rate is 4200 but tell him you got the rate online and they may get you the 2500-2800 double, It is a good big hotel and was the best hotel before Ista came in . Near MK Hotel Alstonia new hotel very good rooms is smaller than MK you can get prices as low as 1600 double try calling GM sales Mr Sanjay Kuchroo 09779633001 and ask for corporate rate and tell him got the rate on Internet, Also Best Western Merrion they have very good new rooms but smaller than MK GM sales Ms Vandana 09216773817 Also Country Inn has new rooms and is centrally located 01835050555, Merrion Alstonia and Country Inn are smaller hotels but they cam up in last 2 years so they have the best rooms, I would still stay in MK to get the punjabi feel and more lively atmosphere as the whole city hangs out there.
We have stayed in Alstonia during our Jan 10 visit. its a very good hotel and the area around is very happening. lots of eating outlets around to explore.
Old 19th April 2011, 10:02   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Errrr...Haweli at Jallandhar is not on byepass but between Phagwara and Jallandhar. Right around the municipal tax collection point.

Another Haweli has opened just few kms (~10??) beyond Murthal dhabas.

Lots of diversions right now - though well marked and reasonably metalled - due to highway widening work in progress.
Old 19th April 2011, 16:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

Thank you all for the quick response

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
AC rooms in Gurudwara itself
To be honest, I did not even know such an option existed. Thanks for pointing it out. However, am not too sure if the family would be too keen on it. Will definitely check with them though.

Jo Bole So Nihal, Sat Sri Akal.

Quote:
panipat its smooth and after panipat toll road widening in progress which will slow you down.

speed gun near sonepat,karnal
Thanks for the heads up man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Hi

I did that sector few days ago.
That was a very detailed post. Thanks for sharing. But as Roy pointed out, is the parking within the hotel walls or out on the street?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
try parathas at Sukhdev dhaba
Thanks bluevolt. But I guess Murthal would be too early a stop. I would like to drive at least a couple hours before I make my first stop for breakfast. Any suggestion on dhabas in and around Karnal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmaka View Post
I would recommend Hotel MK at Rs 2500 double including Breakfast
Brilliant piece of info. In fact, I heard (and read) good things about this very place (MK). Will definitely be calling up the gentleman for further details. Many thanks film.

Quote:
We have stayed in Alstonia during our Jan 10 visit.
Hmm, even Film is hinting at this place (MK being the 1st choice of course). Will check it out too, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Errrr...Haweli at Jallandhar is not on byepass but between Phagwara and Jallandhar. Right around the municipal tax collection point.
Great. All I wanted to know was if Jalandhar Haveli was on the highway itself and from your post, it seems it is. Thanks for the landmark details.

Well peeps, many thanks to all of you for your kind suggestions. However, a few questions remain unanswered. Would be much obliged if anyone could chip in

Quote:
Thanks again.

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 19th April 2011 at 16:43.
Old 19th April 2011, 16:51   #15
Team-BHP Support

Re: Thank you all for the quick response

Quote:
Well peeps, many thanks to all of you for your kind suggestions. However, a few questions remain unanswered. Would be much obliged if anyone could chip in

Thanks again.
Fuel is not a problem. You could tank up in Delhi and then fuel up in Amritsar. If you need to fill fuel on the highway, be sure to visit a petrol pump which is "modern" i.e. has a roof for the entire area, toilets, credit cards etc; something like Club HP.

About the food; there is this famous place : Brother's Dhaba. Sinful Lassi here!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks