Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2014, 17:45   #91
J.Ravi

re: New Delhi - Amritsar : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalmaxout View Post
Any recommendations? Vegetarian food preferred....
For a change, we had a very late dinner or very early breakfast at 70 Milestone Dhaba , located between Murthal and Karnal, at 3 am on 8 Sep 2014 on our way to HP. Good food and clean loo.

New Delhi - Amritsar : Route Queries-img_1504.jpg

Old 24th October 2014, 18:55   #92
BHPian

Thanks all...that helps me a lot. Off for my first Himalayan drive tomorrow. Shall keep posting the pics. Thanks a ton guys
Old 25th October 2014, 19:38   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys, can anyone help put with the query ? am leavin tomorrow
+1 to what sudev says. Karnal Haveli should be the ideal stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
T3 at 1015hrs means Karnal around 1400hrs. Before Karnal on right of highway Neelkamal. After Karnal Zhilmil on left or Havelli on right side.

If that is early then Chaupal (I think renamed Havelli) about 15km short of Ambala on right side.

Some good dhabas also Rajpura onward.
Old 26th October 2014, 18:23   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks all...that helps me a lot. Off for my first Himalayan drive tomorrow. Shall keep posting the pics. Thanks a ton guys
All the best for your trip. Drive safe. Spend time taking in the mountains. It's okay to drop a location or two for better experiences!
Old 12th November 2014, 15:20   #95
Senior - BHPian

Request a couple of clarifications for visiting the Harmandir Sahib.

I will be visiting around the year end with family and we plan to visit the temple both during daytime and night - will try to book at CJ International for easy access.

Is there any specific type of head scarf required?
Is it required for toddlers too?
Considering that it will be winter, would normal winter-wear head caps be permissible?
Also, do toddlers/kids also need to be barefooted? Or can they wear socks?
Old 16th November 2014, 23:21   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post

I will be visiting around the year end with family and we plan to visit the temple both during daytime and night - will try to book at CJ International for easy access.

Considering that it will be winter, would normal winter-wear head caps be permissible?
I might not be 100% correct, but let me try to answer your questions based on my visits and knowledge.

1. There is no specific type to head scarf required, what is required is that the head is covered. You will get a variety of scarfs in the shops near the main entrance, in case you want to buy one.
2. I don't think it is required for toddlers, but it is preferable that at least have them wear winter head-caps, they should suffice.
3. Yes, winter head-caps are permissible, but to be on the safer side, have some kind of scarf/handkerchief along with you.
4. I think everyone needs to be barefooted, at least the adults and kids (anyone who is walking), I am not so sure about toddlers. Also, at places there is slight wetness (due to the water from the Amrit Sarovar) and if the socks get wet, it will surely help in catching a quick cold. Again, my suggestion would be to carry socks for kids/toddlers in your pocket and use them if they are permitted and required.

Hope this help. Have a great visit. Please do remember that during the time you plan to visit, Amritsar might get real cold, so if at all you are planning to drive, try to reach before the sun sets.

Please post any other query on this forum and someone will surely be able to help/guide.
Saint_Kabir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 00:10   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post

No specific head scarf required. However, you get very nice colorful ones with the "Khanda emblem" right outside the Gurudwara which are nice souvenirs too! Cost 20rs/piece max.
The winter cap. Yes, for children(esp toddlers not walking) its okay.
Toddlers who are not walking can wear socks. If you are walking, there is a good chance of socks getting wet too.

Just enjoy your visit. Nobody really bothers with the nitty gritties. I have seen grown up with socks(though its frowned upon) too.

Do not miss the langar. Its an experience unparalleled.

And as suggested try to book AC rooms as they are cheaper and better located.
Other than that, Amritsar is a Culinary delight, esp for Non veg food. There are various blogs and websites dedicated to this. Do your research and have a whale of a time.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 17th November 2014 at 00:15.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2014, 02:15   #98
Senior - BHPian

Thanks !
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
And as suggested try to book AC rooms as they are cheaper and better located.
Planning to book at CJ International. The feedback seems decent.
Old 12th January 2015, 10:50   #99
BHPian

Day trip to Amritsar from Ludhiana

We are a family of 3 adults and 2 kids bween 10 and 15 years of age. We will be visiting a relative in Ludhiana in Apr 2015. Using that as a base camp, we are considering a "day-trip" to Amritsar. Does the following itinerary look feasible? Or will it be too hectic? (we are totally unfamiliar with the area)

- Dep Ludhiana in the morning (7am ok?)
- Visit Jalianwala Bagh. Is 1 hour enough for this? (10 - 11am)
- Visit Golden Temple. Is 3 hours enough for this (11am - 2pm)
- Visit Wagah Border at sunset (After finishing lunch by 2.30pm, can we reach Wagah in time to buy passes by 3.30pm?)
- Return back to Golden Temple just to stop for dinner and see the night time view of the Golden Temple
- Reach back Ludhiana home latest by 11.30pm

Any travel suggestions? (road/train/bus, etc)?
Old 13th January 2015, 12:38   #100
Senior - BHPian

Re: Day trip to Amritsar from Ludhiana

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
We are a family of 3 adults and 2 kids bween 10 and 15 years of age. We will be visiting a relative in Ludhiana in Apr 2015. Using that as a base camp, we are considering a "day-trip" to Amritsar. Does the following itinerary look feasible? Or will it be too hectic? (we are totally unfamiliar with the area)

- Visit Wagah Border at sunset (After finishing lunch by 2.30pm, can we reach Wagah in time to buy passes by 3.30pm?)
- Return back to Golden Temple just to stop for dinner and see the night time view of the Golden Temple
- Reach back Ludhiana home latest by 11.30pm

Most convenient way would ofcourse be to hire a cab for the round trip.If doing by public transport its going to be difficult esp the Wagah-Amritsar-Ludhiana return leg.

Rest of your itinerary is easily doable at a comfortable pace.

PS:Have they introduced passes at Wagah for the Beating Retreat ceremony?Afaik there is nothing like a pass there.Unless this is something recent?
Old 13th January 2015, 16:40   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
PS:Have they introduced passes at Wagah for the Beating Retreat ceremony?Afaik there is nothing like a pass there.Unless this is something recent?
It's free or rather It's a free for all. I have been to Wagah Border 4 times, 3 times out of 4 I arrived at 4 PM and was not even able to see the Gate, leave aside the ceremony.
The ladies were thankfully allowed through a seperate entry.
So I have stood outside watching the pre recorded one that the guys who sell the cd's there play.
If someone really wants to see this ceremony the need to be in the Line by 3PM. Then only can you manage a seat with a view.
Ajitsingh208 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 16:49   #102
BHPian

Quote:

More than enough
Depends - you should try the langar as well, then maybe need a bit more time. But certainly possible.
Tight, but I think it starts from 3:30 (what I remember from my trip ~2 years back). So you may not get a good seat.
- Reach back Ludhiana home latest by 11.30 pm

It is hectic, but doable. If you want a more relaxed schedule, cut out Wagah. It is probably the most overrated place at Amritsar. but maybe the kids ant to watch the show.

Drive or take a taxi.
Old 14th January 2015, 11:29   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
Drive or take a taxi.
Check with Taxi or tour operators, they can arrange for VIP pass so that you will be able to see ceremony.
Old 29th January 2015, 17:46   #104
BHPian

Guys, I am planning a family trip to Amritsar in April and then onward to Kasauli. I had couple of questions:
- Are there any 24-hour checkin hotels in Amritsar (our train would arrive 7.30am, I was hoping I could checkin at 8am and checkout next day 8am, and yet pay only 1 night charges)?
- What is the best/fastest way to go from Amritsar to Kasauli, and how long does it take? (I am NOT self-driving; we live in Blore, and this trip is part of an overall train/flight trip as follows: Blore-Delhi-Amritsar-Kasauli-Chandigarh-Mumbai-Shirdi-Pune-Blore). I was considering: (a) Direct bus from Amritsar to Kasauli if there are direct and safe buses, or (b) Train to Sirhind and then taxi from there (are taxi easily available in Sirhind Rly Stn?), (c) Train to Ludhiana and then taxi from there, (d) Taxi all the way from Amritsar to Kasauli
Old 30th January 2015, 15:36   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I am planning a family trip to Amritsar in April and then onward to Kasauli. I had couple of questions:
- Are there any 24-hour checkin hotels in Amritsar (our train would arrive 7.30am, I was hoping I could checkin at 8am and checkout next day 8am, and yet pay only 1 night charges)?
- What is the best/fastest way to go from Amritsar to Kasauli, and how long does it take? (I am NOT self-driving; we live in Blore, and this trip is part of an overall train/flight trip as follows: Blore-Delhi-Amritsar-Kasauli-Chandigarh-Mumbai-Shirdi-Pune-Blore). I was considering: (a) Direct bus from Amritsar to Kasauli if there are direct and safe buses, or (b) Train to Sirhind and then taxi from there (are taxi easily available in Sirhind Rly Stn?), (c) Train to Ludhiana and then taxi from there, (d) Taxi all the way from Amritsar to Kasauli
There are buses/train from Amritsar to Chandigarh, then you can hire taxi for Kasuali

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks