Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2012, 19:10   #61
BHPian

re: New Delhi - Amritsar : Route Queries

Thanks a lot Irish.
I am not planning to stop anytime soon as we will take early lunch and then leave.
As suggested I will stop for few minutes at bhakra Nangal. Otherwise I will take a pit-stop at Haveli at Jallandhar only.

I have diesal Skoda Fabia so no stoppage due to CNG.

Thanks again for the speed guns which means Haryana will eat up most of my time. As we will not be going over 90 most of the time.

There is another route suggested by google maps which is of NH71 (Rohtak-Jind-sangrur-Barnala-Moga-Makhu-Taran-Taran-Amritsar). OR NH71 till Sangrur and then SH11
I have never done this route before. Irish or anybody else have any idea about this route. or will it be congested?

While coming back we are planning to stop at Surya Funcity in Chandigarh for a day.

Last edited by smooth : 24th July 2012 at 19:12.
Old 24th July 2012, 19:36   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth View Post
As suggested I will stop for few minutes at bhakra Nangal.
It's not Bhakra Nangal dam. It's a small canal coming from that place towards Sirhind (town on NH1) after Rajpura (Ambala towards Ludhiana). There is a restaurant of Punjab government on the bank of this canal. Nothing special apart from the floating restaurant and clean water.

Quote:
Otherwise I will take a pit-stop at Haveli at Jallandhar only.
I don't think that you will be able to drive more than 350 kms non stop with kids. It can be your second point though.

Quote:
There is another route suggested by google maps which is of NH71 (Rohtak-Jind-sangrur-Barnala-Moga-Makhu-Taran-Taran-Amritsar). OR NH71 till Sangrur and then SH11
I have never done this route before. Irish or anybody else have any idea about this route. or will it be congested?
As mentioned by yourself, these are state highways and not the national highway. Also it is not as fast as NH1. The only place on NH1, where you may face traffic snarls / jams is between Mandi Gobindgarh till Ludhiana. Only Ludhiana is major problem during the evening hours but then it's still better than other routes. Therefore only NH1 is recommended.

Quote:
While coming back we are planning to stop at Surya Funcity in Chandigarh for a day.
But Chandigarh is not on your route. Are you planning to come via Chandigarh? If yes then which route are you planning?

Cheers!
Irish
Old 24th July 2012, 22:59   #63
BHPian

I think you have got your answer in detail by now.diversions in Haryana were not too much a problem for us as we travelled that part at dawn.

Anyway I have decided 'shatabdi express zindabad ' for any travel from Amritsar to Delhi!!

A lot of people come to visit the Golden temple and return same day by shatabdi. Any special reason for taking the car?
Old 25th July 2012, 14:16   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
It's not Bhakra Nangal dam. It's a small canal coming from that place towards Sirhind (town on NH1) after Rajpura (Ambala towards Ludhiana). There is a restaurant of Punjab government on the bank of this canal. Nothing special apart from the floating restaurant and clean water.
This is going to be my first stop. I have traveled on these routes many times in past but never been to this restaurant. Just looked at some pictures of this , looks fun.

Quote:
I don't think that you will be able to drive more than 350 kms non stop with kids. It can be your second point though.
Yes looks tough. Last week we went to Pushkar and took 1st stop around kishangarh but then NH-8 has lesser diversions and we left early morning also.
But then 1st stop is already decided and 2nd stop will be decided in run time.

Quote:
As mentioned by yourself, these are state highways and not the national highway. Also it is not as fast as NH1. The only place on NH1, where you may face traffic snarls / jams is between Mandi Gobindgarh till Ludhiana. Only Ludhiana is major problem during the evening hours but then it's still better than other routes. Therefore only NH1 is recommended.
Noted. Will be sticking to NH1 only.

Quote:
But Chandigarh is not on your route. Are you planning to come via Chandigarh? If yes then which route are you planning?
This option is cancelled now. It will be Delhi-Amritsar-Delhi now. We will be leaving on Friday and will be returning back by Sunday night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
I think you have got your answer in detail by now.diversions in Haryana were not too much a problem for us as we travelled that part at dawn.

Anyway I have decided 'shatabdi express zindabad ' for any travel from Amritsar to Delhi!!

A lot of people come to visit the Golden temple and return same day by shatabdi.
Yes. Thanks filmaka, drsingh and Irish for help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Any special reason for taking the car?
There are so many reasons, few I can think of right now is.

The more I drive, the more connection I feel between me and my car. The man and the machine.
Long drives ends up teaching me more about car as well as about the area and surroundings. We end up exploring more of India.

A old saying is “It’s not the destination but the journey”?

In the end - "I love Driving".
Old 3rd August 2012, 18:25   #65
BHPian

A mini T-log for the trip to Amritsar.

Friday 27 July
We started at 12:45PM towards NH1.

As expected at this time the traffic is going to be heavy with all school buses on ring road. We hit a major traffic jam at Azadpur Mandi and it was very slow till Mukarba Chowk.
It was good from Mukraba Chowk onwards as we hit NH1. Reached Floating restaurant, Sirhand at 04:45PM. Spend few minutes there nice concept but the place is quite run down now. Washrooms were pathetic. Reached Amritsar by 8:15PM.
I have always stayed in Hotel City Heart. We were happy with city heart as such but wanted to try something different. We found a new hotel Prem Paradise near Hotel city heart as well as 5 minutes walking distance from Phunwara chowk. Nice and good hotel, we decided to take it. They do not have their own parking so need to park the car in Galiara parking. It is 24 hours multi level parking. Rs 20 for 12 hours. Prem paradise is good hotel just 5 minutes from Golden temple as well as 5 minutes from Jalian wala Bagh. This is new hotel, with a small swimming pool and central air-conditioning

Sunday 29 July
Around 9:30AM we started back for Delhi. Pretty good traffic conditions. Around 2:00PM we reached Eagle Motel to have lunch. Very good restaurant, very good quality of food. Fully satisfied. Around 5:30PM we entered Delhi. After that another uphill task to cross Delhi traffic. We met very heavy traffic at Sanjay Gandhi Transport Nagar, Badli and continuing on outer ring road till Paschim Vihar it was very heavy traffic. After that it was quick till our final destination Janak Puri around 6:30PM. The crossing of Delhi was more tiring that the full return trip.

Speed Guns
While there were lot traffic police personals but they were interested in trucks/commercials vehicles only.
On the return leg, I found speed interceptors between Panipat and Samalkha. Irish was spot-on on this. I was following a fast driven Micra which got stopped. I was lucky to get escaped behind 1 big Vikram (Like we used to old delhi few years back) type Auto.

On side note
Makaan Fish and Beera chicken, Majitha Road but both were closed till 1:30PM. They may be having more business in evening and dinner time I can assume.
There are few touts available around phunwara chowk to help you in finding hotel. If used intelligently they sometimes end up providing better deals on hotels then we can get with 1 to 1 dealing with hotel. They will take commission from hotel not from us.
Petrol bunk at Haveli, Mcdonald point at Rajpura is good place to get re-filled. There is PNB ATM also there if needed.

Total KMs: - 932
Mileage: - 19
Steed: - Fabia Elegance TDI.

Delhi to Amritsar: - 8 hours
Amritsar to Delhi: - 9 hours.
smooth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2012, 10:40   #66
BHPian

Hi,
Just came back from a trip from Delhi to Amritsar and wanted to update the road conditions (All distances and total time logged by GPS)
Gurgaon to Amritsar : 480 Kms (It was a Sunday, so less traffic through enroute cities)
Start Time : 4:45 AM
Reached Hotel in Amritsar (Near railway station on NH1) = 12:00
Total time : 7:15
Stops : total 1 Hr.
Time spent at multiple toll gates waiting in queue : 25 min
Max speed : 150 kmph (GPS indicated, Speedo 157 kmph)
Avg speed for the trip (excl. stops and toll) ~ 80 kmph
typical cruising speed : 120-130 kmph

There was heavy smog in the morning and visibility was poor. Add to that the trucks without tail lights or reflectors. I could not go above 110-120 before daylight starts coming out.
Road is all 6 lanes till Panipat. After Panipat, 6 laning and flyover constructions in progress. Slips roads are not too bad and we were not stuck anywhere. You still get fairly long stretches of 6 lanes with excellent surface
Ambala to Ludhiana : Very good road. Smooth. Upgradation/Construction at Khanna & Mandi Gobindgarh. Still, no traffic jams.
Ludhiana : Take GT road through the city. Multiple flyovers make it a good drive. However, note that it was a sunday and markets were closed. We were early in the day. During market hours, traffic is extremely heavy near the clock tower area)
Jallandhar : Take byepass. Under construction but mostly complete. Can maintain a good speed
After Jallandhar, there is a 20 km stretch of single road(no divider. Heavy traffic. Took a lot of time.
After that, its is 4 lane toll road all the way to amritsar and wagah border.

Truckers are much disciplined in Punjab that in Haryana or rajasthan. Compared to Delhi -Jaipur-Bhilwara stretch, this is much much better. Diversions are better managed too. Only issue is that toll collection is slow.

Overall surface is excellent with no potholed stretches.

In a couple of years, when all the work is complete, it will be a dream stretch.
Tips : Jhilmil Dhaba at Karnal is not overshadowed by a flyover. If you want to stop there, please take slip road in advance.
Lot's of McD's in Punjab. Kids can enjoy.
Sukhdev Dhaba at Murthal was the most crowded(max. no. of cars) that i saw during my trip. Did not stop there was it was too early for B'fast.
Old 16th December 2012, 16:19   #67

Hi,

I am also planning a Delhi-Amritsar trip with family this weekend I.e. on 22-23rd Dec'12. Any latest update about the road conditions? Also, please advice if I'll be able to cover up the trip with sight seeing in Amritsar within two days since I don't have an extra off :(. I am planning to start early morning on Saturday and return back by Sunday night, kindly suggest a breaking point if I plan to cover it up with just 1 break.
Old 16th December 2012, 21:34   #68
Senior - BHPian

You can provided you make a list of what all you want to see, and if you start early on the first day and then leave slightly later in the day, on the return leg. But please be advised there would be some early morning issues at this time due to fog. Drive safe.
Old 16th December 2012, 22:30   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
You can provided you make a list of what all you want to see, and if you start early on the first day and then leave slightly later in the day, on the return leg. But please be advised there would be some early morning issues at this time due to fog. Drive safe.
Thanks wanderernomad. As this will be my first visit, I am planning a must visit to but offcourse the Golden Temple, Jalianwala Bagh & Wagah Border if nothing more. Also, please suggest where should I break if I start early from Delhi? I am planning just one break, may be for brunch to minimize travel time & keep more time at hand in Amritsar as this will only be a two day visit
Old 23rd September 2013, 11:23   #70
BHPian

Hi guys. Am posting this for benefit of all readers planning a trip to amritsar soon. The last update was on 2012 and thus an update is needed.

Before the journey, I was sceptical of driving since everyone said it's a 10-12 hours journey and I have not done such distances ever since our daughter was born 3 years ago. Anyways, since I evaluated the train option late, tickets were unavailable and I had no other option but to drive.

Got the fuel tank topped a day before, tire pressure checked including that of stepney , puc done, original docs kept in the baggage. My ride is a Volkswagen Vento petrol automatic.

We started on Friday morning at 5am from gurgaon and reached our hotel, Ramada amritsar at 12.30. This was with one breakfast stop at Mcdonald's Khanna, drive thru KFC around ludhiana, and a fuel stop before reaching amritsar. You can say about 45 minutes in all. We got an average speed of about 70kmph as per the mid and covered 483 kms. All roads are well maintained and its worth paying for the tolls.

One needs to take a right under a flyover in ludhiana for jalandhar after apollo hospital. Keep an eye for it since there is just one marking and that too non neon. So chances of missing it are high. There are plenty of options for food and fuel on the way. No need to worry on the same.

In amritsar, please please try kesar da Dhaba. Its just out of the world. We visited it once only and I am still missing it. Bhravan or brothers are nothing in front of it.

The hotel we stayed at is a new property in hall bazaar and we got a very good deal for 10 rooms. The place is well kept. The staff is courteous, they allowed my other friends early check in at 7am and provided breakfast too on same day. They also offered to arrange vip parking for our cars at wagah border which also helped. Overall I recommend this hotel. No one was unhappy with it. Everything's a rickshaw away. Including the temple, markets, Dhaba, etc.

To conclude, leave early and you can reach amritsar in very short time. Enjoy the food there. Park the car and use the rickshaw.
Attached Images

Old 23rd September 2013, 11:25   #71
BHPian

Name:  ForumRunner_20130923_112437.png
Views: 3902
Size:  434.4 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130923_112449.png
Views: 4767
Size:  416.1 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20130923_112510.png
Views: 5037
Size:  418.9 KB

Few more pics of dal cooking for 12 hours at kesar, the temple, and our hotel lobby.
Old 16th February 2014, 23:41   #72
BHPian

Delhi to Amritsar

There are enough posts that post with photographs of Golden Temple as well as Amritsar, so will stay away from that.

I did a trip to Golden Temple at Amritsar in Feb'14, my itinerary was as below. This is more of a help for people planning to do this trip.

7/Feb/14
Hyderabad to Delhi - Indigo - Love their on-time performance.
Delhi Airport to Rohtak
Start : 12:00 PM
Reached : 3:30 PM
Head towards Peeragarhi and take Delhi - Rohtak NH 10. The road is pretty decent, ensure you travel on the Bahadurgarh Bypass to miss the mad traffic. Rest all is pretty drivable. Around 3.5 hours end to end.

8/Feb/2014
Rohtak to Amritsar via Panipat, Ambala, Ludhiana, Jalandhar
Start - 8:30 AM
Reached - 5:30 PM
Started around 8:30 AM from Rohtak, took Rohtak - Panipat NH71A, what a road, anyone who loves driving will love this road.
From Panipat onwards, it was the NH 1 all the way to Amritsar. The road is excellent to good to bad to pathetic. There are at least 30 - 35 flyovers, which have to come up near the towns/villages haven't been completed, I have been doing this route for 6 years now and most of these have been in the same condition forever. Not sure if the government is even bothered about this. If only all these are ready, the travel time reduction will be at least 1 to 1.5 hours.
Places to eat:
Any decent looking Dhaba at Murthal, Karnal, Rajpura are good options.
Few that I can suggest
Jhilmil Dhaba near Karnal
Red Mango before Ludhiana
Lucky Dhaba between Jalandhar and Ludhiana
Bhravan da Dhaba at Amritsar

9/Feb/2014
Amritsar to Rohtak - Same route
Start: 11 AM
Reached: 11:30 PM
This was due to personal/family stoppages at Ludhiana, Kurukshetra, Panipat which accounted for at least 3 hours.

Overall, the roads are OK, one gets delayed due to the flyovers not completed, which causes congestion. Try to start early in the day, one can miss a lot of traffic. Also, while returning, which was a Sunday, I noticed a drastic reduction in traffic at most of the towns and villages. So, Delhi to Amritsar is around 7.5 to 8 hours of non-stop drive. It can come down to 6 to 6.5 if all the pending work of converting Panipat to Jalandhar into four lane is completed.

The speed limit in 90 KMPH, so please be on the lookout for interceptors and cops, especially before Kurukshetra in Haryana.

Instead of making the roads better and safe, the governments are imposing speed limits and hefty fines. Why not make better roads, safe roads and allow speeds up to 100 or 110 KMPH?
Old 5th August 2014, 17:24   #73
J.Ravi

Amritsar Golden Temple Car Park - Query

I have a query on Golden Temple multilevel car parking [MLCP] near Town Hall and Brother's Dhaba. Is there a down ramp from a flyover connecting the NH 15/GNT Road and the MLCP? MapMyIndia shows the parking flyover from NH 15. But, during my last visit to Amritsar in Sep 2013, I walked around the complex only to find a lot of shops, but I did not see any flyover. The entrance was closed, IIRC. But, in Sep 2011 during my Leh visit, I parked my erstwhile Linea at MLCP but there was no flyover. I wish to park my XUV 500 at MLCP when I visit the Golden Temple in this Sep. Kindly apprise me of the latest information on the flyover to MLCP, and if there is one, the access to this flyover.

New Delhi - Amritsar : Route Queries-mlcp.jpg

Last edited by J.Ravi : 5th August 2014 at 17:50.

Old 10th August 2014, 16:54   #74
BHPian

Re: Amritsar Golden Temple Car Park - Query

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I have a query on Golden Temple multilevel car parking [MLCP] near Town Hall and Brother's Dhaba. Is there a down ramp from a flyover connecting the NH 15/GNT Road and the MLCP? MapMyIndia shows the parking flyover from NH 15. But, during my last visit to Amritsar in Sep 2013, I walked around the complex only to find a lot of shops, but I did not see any flyover. The entrance was closed, IIRC. But, in Sep 2011 during my Leh visit, I parked my erstwhile Linea at MLCP but there was no flyover. I wish to park my XUV 500 at MLCP when I visit the Golden Temple in this Sep. Kindly apprise me of the latest information on the flyover to MLCP, and if there is one, the access to this flyover.
Yes, there is a ramp down from the MLCP or to put it differently, the entry and exit (whenever I have visited) is via a flyover which runs into the MLCP and only serves it. I have most of the time traveled on NH1, so after crossing the Alpha One Mall at Amritsar, I used to get onto the flyover (Tarawalapul Flyover, i think so), there are enough markings which mention Golden Temple or Golden Temple Parking (Not sure which one exactly), you need to get down this flyover using a ramp, a little ahead, there is a left turn that looks pretty empty road, just get onto this and you will get onto another flyover, which leads directly into the MLCP. The way back is also similar, out of the MLCP, onto the flyover, back on the NH1 under the Tarawalapul Flyover, take the right and you are heading towards Jalandhar.

Also, there are battery operated rickshaws which at times do come into the MLCP, they can take you down the parking to the main road or you can use one of them to take you to your hotel directly, in case you are staying in one hear the Golden Temple.

Hope this helps? Have a safe and enjoyable trip.
Saint_Kabir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2014, 18:36   #75
J.Ravi

Re: Amritsar Golden Temple Car Park - Query

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint_Kabir View Post
YHope this helps? Have a safe and enjoyable trip.
Thanks a lot for very useful information, Saint_Kabir. Last year, I tried in vain to find the entrance to MLCP from the Brothers Dhaba side main road. I found the entrance closed with wooden planks that made me believe that MLCP had become dysfunctional due to some legal issues. Then, I requested the cops manning the barricades at two junctions, who were kind enough to allow Linea to pass through the narrow lanes and bylanes with a friendly cop guiding us by walking in front of Linea, to reach Hotel Sapphire and Linea got parked there. Now, I understood the scenario. This time, I have decided to park my XUV 500 in MLCP and stay at Hotel City Heart, opposite Jallianwala Bagh.

Last edited by J.Ravi : 10th August 2014 at 19:05.

Most Viewed