Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2011, 14:56   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: New Delhi - Amritsar : Route Queries

Firstly - Big thanks to everyone for their suggestions and help.

Janjua - U DA MANNNNNNNN. What a list sir ji. (Clicking the "thanks" button now)

nKapoor - My suggestion is leave a bit earlier, say 4:30 am. I left house at around 5:20 am (South Delhi) and right from ISBT, the traffic was thick.

There are diversions from the word go. There is quite an increase in the number of diversions post Panipat and from Ambala onwards, all you will get are diversions. Its crazy. Things continue this way till you cross Jalandhar and hit the single lane (no divider) road. This lasts about 20 odd kms (I think). Drive extra cautiously. However, post this 20 km stretch, things start getting better and you are on a well paved, tarred double lane (for each side) highway.

Also, be careful whilst taking the Jalandhar by-pass. It is not very clearly marked and if you continue straight you head into the city. The locals there advised us to back track till the by-pass instead of cutting through town owing to traffic issues.

Plenty of eateries along the way and do not worry too much about safety in general. The highway is busy and people (mostly) helpful. Enjoy your trip and drive safe. Look forward to hearing from you once you are back.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2011, 02:54   #47
BHPian

Thanks Urban_Nomad! I'm looking at starting around midnight or so. Will have to be extra cautious about the diversions at night time.
Old 5th May 2011, 03:29   #48
Senior - BHPian

Stopped at Haveli in Jalandhar during December and personally found the food very bland and overpriced. Its saving grace was the excellent sweet lassi.

In Amritsar bharawan da dhaba is fantastic. The brothers split a while back so there are 2 dhaba next door to each other.
Old 6th May 2011, 12:51   #49
Senior - BHPian

^^

I agree about Haveli. I was really disappointed with the food. Just pouring in oodles of ghee does not automatically make it ultra yum. The dal makhani was (in all probabilities) cooked in a pressure cooker and the rest of the meal was very very average. The ambience was great, restrooms were super clean but IMO, the food there is not at all praiseworthy.

I would dis-agree with you on "Bhrawan da dhaba" though. "Kesar" knocks it out of the park any day of the week (and twice on sunday). If at Kesar, order Palak Paneer and plain paratha. Mind Bolongaa. Although, I must admit, the chana (chhole?) at Bhrawan was truly delicious. But nothing else would pass a rating of average, sadly, including the "Lassi".

A word of caution though. If you plan to go to Kesar, leave any and all expectations with regards to service at the gate . Bhrawan's service was 20 times better, despite serving thrice the people than Kesar.

Edit

nKapoor - I guess you are leaving for Amritsar tonite? Drive safe and enjoy yourself. And of course : Bon Apetite.

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 6th May 2011 at 12:55.
Old 10th May 2011, 13:09   #50
BHPian

Had a good trip although a hectic one given the tight schedules. The highway for the most part is good inspite of all those diversions which pop up every few kms between Panipat and Jalandhar. This work will surely take 2-3 years to complete going by our standards, but NH1 should be a dream to drive once all the work is completed. Also paid extra toll tax for both our cars (speeding tickets) during the return journey just after Rajpura.
Old 10th May 2011, 13:23   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
Also paid extra toll tax for both our cars (speeding tickets) during the return journey just after Rajpura.
What time of day was it and how much did you pay? Also, was it a challan or you were able to get away with a little less toll amount only?

IIRC the challan is of 700 bucks and it has to be on the spot payment.
Old 10th May 2011, 13:27   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
What time of day was it and how much did you pay? Also, was it a challan or you were able to get away with a little less toll amount only?

IIRC the challan is of 700 bucks and it has to be on the spot payment.
I think it was between 4-5 PM. A little less toll amount; Bulk discount was applicable for multiple cars!!
Old 13th May 2011, 14:04   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post
Had a good trip although a hectic one
Welcome back. Glad you had a nice trip.

So now, details please, especially khaana

(Or better, start a T-log. I am definitely going to write a log on my Amritsar trip in some time. Wot say?)
Old 20th May 2011, 11:57   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Welcome back. Glad you had a nice trip.

So now, details please, especially khaana

(Or better, start a T-log. I am definitely going to write a log on my Amritsar trip in some time. Wot say?)
You start the T-log and I'll add my two paisa along the way!
Old 24th July 2012, 11:36   #55
BHPian

I am planning a road trip from Delhi to Amritsar on this Friday (27th July). How are the road conditions of NH-1 nowadays. I will be starting from Delhi around 12:30PM. I know it is not the right time but it is the earliest I can leave from Delhi on Friday.

Anybody has done this stretch recently and have update about the road conditions. Is there is some progress?

Any suggestions about Hotel in Amritsar. Looking for a decent hotel for family with kids.
Old 24th July 2012, 11:48   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth View Post
Any suggestions about Hotel in Amritsar. Looking for a decent hotel for family with kids.
Hey,

During my trip, we'd stayed at Hotel Royal Castle and then Mohan Int'l Hotel. Both of them are side by side. We weren't very happy at Royal Castle hence moved to Mohan.

Both these are on Mall road and would cost ~Rs. 2500/night. The facilities are very nice, the rooms are good (centrally a/c and all amenities), safe and most importantly, have a parking facility.

We had earlier booked a room close to the Golden Temple but 1) the rush on that road is terrible and 2) the hotels on that road don't have an in-compound parking facility. So, try not to find a hotel close to the Golden Temple.

You could go thru' http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2079766 for other help.

Have a good trip!
Old 24th July 2012, 12:16   #57
BHPian

Delhi-ambala-ludhiana. Good roads.Ludhiana to Amritsar mostly good but 6 laning work going on, small diversions after 25,30 kms. Getting in and out of Ludhiana will be your main hurdle if it rains. Traffic is bad in the evening!
Old 24th July 2012, 14:20   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Hey,

During my trip, we'd stayed at Hotel Royal Castle and then Mohan Int'l Hotel. Both of them are side by side. We weren't very happy at Royal Castle hence moved to Mohan.

Both these are on Mall road and would cost ~Rs. 2500/night. The facilities are very nice, the rooms are good (centrally a/c and all amenities), safe and most importantly, have a parking facility.

We had earlier booked a room close to the Golden Temple but 1) the rush on that road is terrible and 2) the hotels on that road don't have an in-compound parking facility. So, try not to find a hotel close to the Golden Temple.

You could go thru' http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2079766 for other help.

Have a good trip!
Thanks Libran. I did gone through your TL. Helpful stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Delhi-ambala-ludhiana. Good roads.Ludhiana to Amritsar mostly good but 6 laning work going on, small diversions after 25,30 kms. Getting in and out of Ludhiana will be your main hurdle if it rains. Traffic is bad in the evening!
Thanks drsingh. Is it means that the construction around panipat is done?
Old 24th July 2012, 14:39   #59
BHPian

Road after Jalandhar to Amritsar Till Beas is bad as there is no divider and the road is very narrow about 36 kms, Be very careful on this part as you will face high beams from opposite side, Just before you reach Beas the six lane International standard highway will start, This is an amazing stretch that goes all the way till Wagah Border, You will have 2 tolls on this 40 km stretch.

You can Stay in Hotel MK, Ranjit Avenue, Try if you can get the room nos 1001 -1002 or 2001 - 2002. It is a great hotel. phone no of the hotel is 0183-2504610 talk to Ms Payal Or Mr Sidhartha Ghatak they can give you a good discount. Mention Team-Bhp to them to apply the special discount.
Old 24th July 2012, 18:02   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth View Post
I am planning a road trip from Delhi to Amritsar on this Friday (27th July). How are the road conditions of NH-1 nowadays. I will be starting from Delhi around 12:30PM. I know it is not the right time but it is the earliest I can leave from Delhi on Friday.

Anybody has done this stretch recently and have update about the road conditions. Is there is some progress?

Sorry, I can't advise on Hotels in Amritsar but here is advice on everything else:

Between Delhi & Panipat
  • If you are starting at 12:30 PM then you will face traffic within Delhi (Ring Road upto Mukarba Chowk) depending upon which route are you following to reach Mukarba Chowk.
  • There are atleast 2 places where you can encounter Interceptor (just after Mukarba Chowk and Just before Narela Red light) so mind your speed. If it's too hot in the afternoon then their probability is low.
  • If you have a CNG car then get it filled at Singhu border (Delhi-Haryana), just after Narela red light.
  • Probably you can have Lunch at Murthal (Sukhdev Dhaba or Haveli - both on your Left side after crossing Murthal flyover and then Reebok showroom). Haveli is recommended by me.
Road till Panipat is good but then six laning is under progress between Panipat and Jallandhar.

Latest status Panipat and Jallandhar:
  • Most of the flyovers are operational between Panipat and Karnal except for 4/5
  • No flyover is operational at karnal byepass (except for one when you enter Karnal i.e. Police lines, Madhuban)
  • After crossing Karnal, there are Zhilmil dhaba (good for tea/paranthas) at your left and Savoy Greens on your right (Dominos etc.)
  • Between Karnal and Ambala, there are still 15 diversions approximately. Most of these diversions are in the towns (like Nilokheri, Traori, Gannaur, Shahabad) where the flyovers are still under construction. Rest of the flyovers are operational.
  • Same is the condition between Ambala and Ludhiana - Flyovers within the city limits are still under construction so you have take diversions. Since you are starting at 12:30, you will reach this section during rush hours i.e. when the labour comes out of the factories (on the both sides of the NH1) in the evening. You may face heavy traffic at Mandi Gobindgarh, Khanna and traffic jams at Ludhiana. The traffic at Ludhiana will take the most of the time. So please be prepared.
  • There is one floating restaurant at a canal from bhakra Nangal after crossing Sirhind. Take a 2 minute break here if you want to show bluish green water to your kids.
  • Once you cross Ludhiana, there is no problem till Amritsar. Because it will be evening and moreover roads between Ludhiana and Jallandhar are good. Diversions at Phillaur, Goraya, Phagwara will be there. No flyover is completed with in these towns.
  • Just before you reach Jallandhar (after Lovely Professional University on left) then you have the Haveli on your right and Haldiram's (in a mall) on your left. See if you wanna a break here?
  • After Haveli, you have to turn right towards Amritsar (properly marked) at Jallandhar byepass.
  • After Jallandhar, there is no diversion except for the single road (between kartarpur and Beas) as told by others. Be careful in night driving on this section (Jallandhar til Amritsar).
Speed Guns

Within Haryana: the speed limit is 90 km/h outside city limits otherwise it's 70 km/h. Speed guns can be found just before or after a town on NH1 but most common locations of speed guns are:
  • just before Murthal
  • Between Smalkha and Panipat
  • Just before entering / exiting Karnal
  • Just before entering / exiting Ambala
Within Punjab: No one is encountered so far.

I would advise you to take minimum breaks (shorter durations), as you will reach Amritsar after 8:00 PM, though there are no safety / security issues on this route.

Cheers!
Irish
Irish is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks