Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2006, 14:02   #1
BHPian

VTEC or a Baleno?

Well the argument continues.....

This train of thought has been running in my head sice 3 months from the time my Esteem issue cropped up now that I have given away my Esteem, I still have yet to decide...I hope all my fellow TBHPians will come forward and help me do so.

Type of CAR:

Let me tell you my preference on the type of car I would look at..
I am looking at mainly performance..... yes and that too with a budget...
tops of 6 lakhs give or take 50k rupees.

I would indeed look at cost of spares also..the spares need to be reasonable and also I need not run to the garage everyday or spend a bomb only on basic servicing.

I looked at a used Skoda, but the spares and servicing would be killing me.
so I narrowed down on the Baleno ( a new one ) or a used City VTEC post Sep 2002.

Modifications:

I would be going in for some basic mods if I would be picking up the new Baleno like K&N's, free flows, Sparco seats, a music system, headers, a tachometer, fog lamps.

If I choose the VTEC, a definite Spandex paint job, K&N's, free flows, Sparco seats, a music system, headers, a tachometer, fog lamps, minimal body kits, maybe later a turbo system.

Confusions:
The cost factor would be the main thing as the cost would be the same for both cars. so my dilemma would be whether it is wise to go for a used VTEC because if I buy the baleno, there would be warranty on the car and in case of any problems like I faced on the Esteem (you can read it all from the link below) not that it got resolved completetly..

Or would it be wiser to go for a used Baleno???????

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-de...ice-sucks.html

Maintanence:

What would be the maintanance costs if I buy the VTEC.
Would it justify my decision of going in for a used car.....

Confusion:

The areas that led to the confusion are Baleno is no doubt a good car, but not as refined as the VTEC.
The interiors are very boring and the Lxi misses out features like demister and Auto climatic control. The finish on the buttons are very inferior.
The Gears are not as smooth as the Esteem. As time passes the doors and other parts develop noises and rattling. The Baleno is quite stable once tires are upgraded but the issue of the lower body touching the speed breakers in Bangalore is a major issue. And in bangalore, the speed breakers are reffered to as back breakers.

Conclusion:

Baleno is a tuners car and as it is a maruti flagship product, spares are bound to be cheaper..

Vtec on the other hand is a pure performance car and very refined.

Verdict:

Guys frantically awaiting your inputs as 2 heads are better than one
BHPians more the suggestions, easier for me to decide....
If you feel there is another car that is a better choice, then please do advise.

Thanks for your suggestions in advance...

Last edited by adit1329 : 20th January 2006 at 14:04.
Old 20th January 2006, 14:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

if i were you i would go for the Vtec anyday... Honda is really exceptional when it comes to making good cars... the after sales service and treatment is also pretty good....

Maruti Baleno... also good... really expansive dealer network... spares pretty affordable unlike the Vtec.... quality service can be an eye opener at times...
Old 20th January 2006, 14:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

As a prior owner of an OHC as well as a Baleno, let me try and help you:

1. Performance: Both are brilliant. The Vtec is more of a straighliner, while in corners, I'd prefer the Baleno. The Vtec is clearly quicker by a second, both on the 1/4 mile, and in the 0-100 run, all else equal.

2. Driveability: Though torque levels are similar, the Baleno produces most of its torque from idle. I can shift gears at 1100 rpm, not something easy to do on the Vtec. But if you are focussed on high-rpm driving, it's the 'tec that will gladden your heart.

3. Interiors: Both suck. Period. The quality of Maruti is improving, atleast on the Balenos, and it never was too bad. OHC interiors are as boring as the Baleno.

4. Ground clearance: Baleno has a definite advantage. Vtec will scrape almost anything with minimal load, while Baleno has issues only with a full complement of passengers.

5. Suspension: Baleno wins outright. Very comfortable, even the seats rock. You can sit comfortably in it all day, and emerge fresh, almost like an Octavia. The OHC rattle and thud their way over any uneven surface, and you will cry at the sounds from the wheel-wells.

6. Spares and Resale: You want to turbo? Where will you get a second engine from, if you blow the first? Baleno wins again. Maruti service is better and way cheaper than Honda, due to competition. Engine and suspension parts are also cheaper, both officially and otherwise. So is performance modification for the Baleno. Also, a new Baleno will fetch you a decent price when sold. A 2nd or 3rd hand Vtec won't, since by then spares will start to be an issue.

Though the Vtec is a beautiful car, it would make more sense to pick a Baleno. I went through the same dilemma, and I chose the Baleno. Hope this helps...
Old 20th January 2006, 14:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

Also, why tacho, that's very wannabe...both cars come equipped with tachometers.
Old 20th January 2006, 14:57   #5
BHPian

oh i forgot, i would be changing the suspension...
Old 20th January 2006, 14:58   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Also, why tacho, that's very wannabe...both cars come equipped with tachometers.
the stock tachometer is boring
Old 20th January 2006, 15:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Slides towards Baleno as it a brand new one, slides towards Vtech as it's the car I love to own. If I get a sparingly used Vtech (below 15k on odo) for the price of Baleno (x showroom price), I would go for Vtech

Quote:

4. Ground clearance: Baleno has a definite advantage. Vtec will scrape almost anything with minimal load, while Baleno has issues only with a full complement of passengers.

I agree with you on this. Though ground clearance for both OHC and Baleno is 170mm, I had felt OHC will make u cry in bumby roads. Dont know the reason why it was.
Old 20th January 2006, 15:11   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneer
If it had been the old Vtec I would have definately gone for it, New Vtec ZX is not as good as older one so go for the Baleno.
I am sorry but I always assume that there is only 1 VTEC and the old one

Well I am talking about the old City VTEC.....

I am in a dilemma whether to go for a Old City VTEC or a new Baleno or a used Baleno....
Old 20th January 2006, 15:14   #9
BHPian

Quote:
As a prior owner of an OHC as well as a Baleno, let me try and help you:

1. Performance: Both are brilliant. The Vtec is more of a straighliner, while in corners, I'd prefer the Baleno. The Vtec is clearly quicker by a second, both on the 1/4 mile, and in the 0-100 run, all else equal.

2. Driveability: Though torque levels are similar, the Baleno produces most of its torque from idle. I can shift gears at 1100 rpm, not something easy to do on the Vtec. But if you are focussed on high-rpm driving, it's the 'tec that will gladden your heart.

3. Interiors: Both suck. Period. The quality of Maruti is improving, atleast on the Balenos, and it never was too bad. OHC interiors are as boring as the Baleno.

5. Suspension: Baleno wins outright. Very comfortable, even the seats rock. You can sit comfortably in it all day, and emerge fresh, almost like an Octavia. The OHC rattle and thud their way over any uneven surface, and you will cry at the sounds from the wheel-wells.

6. Spares and Resale: You want to turbo? Where will you get a second engine from, if you blow the first? Baleno wins again. Maruti service is better and way cheaper than Honda, due to competition. Engine and suspension parts are also cheaper, both officially and otherwise. So is performance modification for the Baleno. Also, a new Baleno will fetch you a decent price when sold. A 2nd or 3rd hand Vtec won't, since by then spares will start to be an issue.

Though the Vtec is a beautiful car, it would make more sense to pick a Baleno. I went through the same dilemma, and I chose the Baleno. Hope this helps...
Well these are my current train of thoughts my instinct cries out to go for a Baleno for the cost is also a major factor which I need to think time and time again..

The only reason the VTEC allures is for the VTEC engine....
Old 20th January 2006, 15:19   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Well, let me put my choice this way : I picked up a one year old 3,000 km run Vtec for the same price as a brand new Baleno.

And I am extremely happy with my purchase. It appeals to both - my "heart" and my "head".

GTO
Old 20th January 2006, 15:20   #11
Senior - BHPian

I did consider the VTec for sometime. 2001 models were available for 4 to 4.5 ish. But did not research too much into it, since I needed more low end grunt than a high revving beauty. Plus I decided on a new car. So Baleno it was ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by adit1329
The interiors are very boring and the Lxi misses out features like demister and Auto climatic control.
Your budget is 6L +- 50K. I got my VXi for 6.76 OTR (i.e. the ex-showroom price here) without any finance discount. So if you bargain hard, and add a finance discount, you could get a VXi for around 6.5 OTR.
Old 20th January 2006, 15:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Well, let me put my choice this way : I picked up a one year old 3,000 km run Vtec for the same price as a brand new Baleno.
So that would mean a 10L car (3K kms only) depreciating to around 6.5L in 1yr !! Why is there then the general perception/opinion that VTecs have fantastic resale value ?
Or is it, that you got an exceptional one-off deal ?
Or are you considering the older Baleno prices of around 7.5 to 8L ?
Old 20th January 2006, 17:28   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:

That was a very good analysis by v1p3r and most of the facts he quoted are bang on .. However the fronts seats of a baleno are fabulous , i cant quite say the same about the rear seats .. On our recent trip to chennai , i didnt quite find them that comfy .. Maybe its just me ..

Coming to performance mods , if u decide to go turbo .. Pls stick ur choice to a baleno , bcoz modding a VTEC is a costly affair , id say its wiser to get married than spend a bomb on the VTEC (bcoz actually the chances tht ur better half will spend less are quite likely) .. Even for small gains in performance , it will make u poor by quite a huge margin .. Thats not the case with the baleno ..

However if one is going stock, then it has to be the VTEC with an obvious work to its rear suspension ..
Old 21st January 2006, 19:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

Also I guess the metal sheets in Baleno is somewhat thicker and stable than the OHC. I dont have any technical insight on this. Just I felt like. OHC crumbles even on small hits/clash. I had seen this many a times. am I right?
Old 21st January 2006, 19:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

Drive both the cars on the same stretch and you'l know which one you want.

Or if you're planning to come towards Hubli anytime soon, U can try out my car. Hehe

Shan2nu
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks