Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2011, 23:47   #46
BHPian

Re: ANHV vs Corolla Altis

The thread is clearly ANHV vs Corolla Altis and when ANHV is ruled out then there remains the only choice and the thread needs to be closed.
Old 13th July 2011, 00:59   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey I have decided on the Corolla Altis. We will book the car soon. ANHV is surely ruled out. So Mods Request you to close the thread. Thanks everyone for there valuable advice.

Regards,
Mohit
Old 13th July 2011, 07:53   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Mohit, congrats on the choice! Not to toss a spanner in the works but do check your PM. NFS may be a worthy contender as well!
Old 13th July 2011, 08:22   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I doubt even a higher spec engine in the Altis will compete with the Diesel Rocket or the German Jetta.
TD Renault Fluence too. Bigger car, same price range as Altis diesel-could be better value for money.
Old 13th July 2011, 08:49   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Mohit, congrats on the choice! Not to toss a spanner in the works but do check your PM. NFS may be a worthy contender as well!
Yea I am going to TD it this week. More importantly will assess the space at the back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
TD Renault Fluence too. Bigger car, same price range as Altis diesel-could be better value for money.
Well I already checked it out. I was waiting for this car to arrive but it turned out to be a little disappointing. And for a difference of 1L, I will surely go for the Altis only for the piece of mind rather than flirting with Renault.

BTW the After sales service costs for the Altis turns out to be pretty cheap. The SA told me about this smiles package which comes from toyota only. I have to shell out Rs 4500 upfront each year and what I get in return is free service for 1 year or 20k kms whichever is earlier. Except Accidental damage, I dont need to pay a single penny from my pocket. Not even labour charges or VAT or anything. Lets say for instance during the 1st year I drive my car for 20k kms, then I will basically encounter 3 services - at 1000kms, 10k kms and 20k kms. All 3 will be absolutely free. And this can be renewed each year by paying Rs 4500. SWEET DEAL right?

Note to mods: Please allow the thread to remain open. Some new suggestions have come up, specially the NFS. I will check the car this week and update the thread. Thanks.

Regards,
Mohit

Last edited by drmohitg : 13th July 2011 at 08:50. Reason: spelling error.
Old 13th July 2011, 08:59   #51
BHPian

Why not the Optra Magnum?
I know its a little old but the combination of supreme rear seat comfort coupled with great performance and low maintainence seems to be hard to ignore at the current price point. Pretty frugal too!!
Old 13th July 2011, 10:02   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg

BTW the After sales service costs for the Altis turns out to be pretty cheap. The SA told me about this smiles package which comes from toyota only. I have to shell out Rs 4500 upfront each year and what I get in return is free service for 1 year or 20k kms whichever is earlier. Except Accidental damage, I dont need to pay a single penny from my pocket. Not even labour charges or VAT or anything. Lets say for instance during the 1st year I drive my car for 20k kms, then I will basically encounter 3 services - at 1000kms, 10k kms and 20k kms. All 3 will be absolutely free. And this can be renewed each year by paying Rs 4500. SWEET DEAL right?

Note to mods: Please allow the thread to remain open. Some new suggestions have come up, specially the NFS. I will check the car this week and update the thread. Thanks.

Regards,
Mohit
Now, is that "smiles" package something new? I haven't heard of this. Will they offer the same package after the 3 year warranty is over? Let me know. I haven't got a satisfactory answer from Toyota regarding extended warranty. And I haven't pursued this diligently either.

The service intervals you mentioned are for the petrol Altis. The diesel will require service at 1K, 5K & 10K km and subsequently after every 5K km.
Old 13th July 2011, 10:05   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrenalinJunkie View Post
Why not the Optra Magnum?
I know its a little old but the combination of supreme rear seat comfort coupled with great performance and low maintainence seems to be hard to ignore at the current price point. Pretty frugal too!!
Yup I am gonna TD that too. But it stands very less chance of coming to our house. A car abandoned by its own company doesn't inspire much confidence even if its a great product. Just for comparison sakes: The Altis Diesel is way overpriced, has a much weaker engine ( atleast on the paper the specs dont match at all with the segment), and Toyota knows its not selling much. But still the SA takes great pride in presenting you the product. They accept that the engine is weak but at the same time ensure that you take a TD and feel it for yourself. The whole experience makes you want to give them your money.
Anyways lets see. I am going to TD both the Optra and the NFS.
Old 13th July 2011, 11:45   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yup I am gonna TD that too. But it stands very less chance of coming to our house. A car abandoned by its own company doesn't inspire much confidence even if its a great product. Just for comparison sakes: The Altis Diesel is way overpriced, has a much weaker engine ( atleast on the paper the specs dont match at all with the segment), and Toyota knows its not selling much. But still the SA takes great pride in presenting you the product. They accept that the engine is weak but at the same time ensure that you take a TD and feel it for yourself. The whole experience makes you want to give them your money.
Anyways lets see. I am going to TD both the Optra and the NFS.
Possible reasons for a not so good experience with the Optra salesmen:
1. Poor training
2. The dealership sees that you are willing to spend 15L and see that they have a much better chance to convert you as a customer with Cruze than with and Optra.
3. Dealership having more pressure to sell Cruze.
4. Dealership not having a suitable Optra TD vehicle (most even forget that this car exists).
5. The company seems to be promoting the Cruze in a big way, even though the Optra is a better (more practical) car on many fronts. Will not get into the possible reasons here.

Have interacted with various types of salesmen in TD's. Haven't let their lack of professionalism affect my evaluating the car. It has been a factor in the decision making process - but only a small bit. Of course, we all have our own priorities.

For whatever it is worth, the Optra has been selling more than the Civic.

Edit: The Optra has an all independent suspension, which is seen in few cars in that price bracket.
Old 13th July 2011, 16:08   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Now, is that "smiles" package something new? I haven't heard of this. Will they offer the same package after the 3 year warranty is over? Let me know. I haven't got a satisfactory answer from Toyota regarding extended warranty. And I haven't pursued this diligently either.

The service intervals you mentioned are for the petrol Altis. The diesel will require service at 1K, 5K & 10K km and subsequently after every 5K km.
Well this is what the Dealer told me. Generally What all does one get in the so called first 3 free services? In this smiles package for Rs 4500, I get free service for 1 year/20k kms. Everything from the engine oil to any other stuff plus labour is free of cost and I just need to send in my car and come back to collect it.

The intervals he quoted to me were 1k, 10k and 20k. I doubt in today's world diesel vehicles get serviced every 5k kms. Are you sure on that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
For whatever it is worth, the Optra has been selling more than the Civic.

Edit: The Optra has an all independent suspension, which is seen in few cars in that price bracket.
I will surely go and TD it with as little bias as possible.
What are the servicing costs of the car? And long term reliability? My dad will be keeping the car for a good 6-7 years. Just need a general Idea. I will surely look into the various ownership threads if I like the Optra.
Old 13th July 2011, 16:16   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Well this is what the Dealer told me. Generally What all does one get in the so called first 3 free services? In this smiles package for Rs 4500, I get free service for 1 year/20k kms. Everything from the engine oil to any other stuff plus labour is free of cost and I just need to send in my car and come back to collect it.

The intervals he quoted to me were 1k, 10k and 20k. I doubt in today's world diesel vehicles get serviced every 5k kms. Are you sure on that?

The manual mentions 5K service interval for diesel vehicles and 10K for petrol. That is the company's recommendation. You can always choose to have the vehicle serviced after 10K km but I guess with diesels, changing the oil after every 5K km is generally advisable.

Can you check if extended warranty is possible at Rs 4500/year after the 3rd year?
Old 13th July 2011, 16:18   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
The manual mentions 5K service interval for diesel vehicles and 10K for petrol. That is the company's recommendation. You can always choose to have the vehicle serviced after 10K km but I guess with diesels, changing the oil after every 5K km is generally advisable.

Can you check if extended warranty is possible at Rs 4500/year after the 3rd year?
Sure thing. Whenever I go to the showroom again I will ask him in detail again about the servicing. And the intervals too. Will keep you posted.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 20:23   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will surely go and TD it with as little bias as possible.
What are the servicing costs of the car? And long term reliability? My dad will be keeping the car for a good 6-7 years. Just need a general Idea. I will surely look into the various ownership threads if I like the Optra.
It is supposed to be cheap to maintain, for it's segment. Chevy promise - take a refund if it is over ~32k for 45k/3yrs. TBhp rates it's reliability as excellent. But we have a lemon here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-disaster.html

A few weeks old Optra giving trouble. Almost from the start. After reading this, I suspect you would not even TD the car!
Old 13th July 2011, 20:44   #59
BHPian

drmohitg, I think you have made the right choice, and hopefully you'll stick to it, just read the fine print of the smiles package that Toyota is offering.
Old 13th July 2011, 20:44   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
It is supposed to be cheap to maintain, for it's segment. Chevy promise - take a refund if it is over ~32k for 45k/3yrs. TBhp rates it's reliability as excellent. But we have a lemon here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-disaster.html

A few weeks old Optra giving trouble. Almost from the start. After reading this, I suspect you would not even TD the car!
I have to hand it to you. In spite of being in love with the Optra, you are not reluctant to share these informations as well.

Anyway, I think this is a on off case. Chevy has been good in maintaining quality. As far as I remember, in the Quality survey by JD power in the Hatch department guess who came first & second.
1) Jazz
2) Beat
I am yet to hear any major manufacturing defects with Beat. Although there are quite a few regarding Figo and a huge list of Polo / (Vento?). I have heard some Swifts, several I20s, a handful of Accords to have problems from the beginning as well.

But that does not make them "not to buy" car. Does it?

If you are about to book the Altis now. I have the same suggestion as pointed out by Positive. TD the Optra. It is a lot more bang for buck.
oxyzen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks