Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2011, 21:25   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Verna vs Corolla Altis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Not sure which one you are talking about Mohit.
From his badge I gather Mohit has a 2005 Gxi - which is the NHC(the Dolphin model or the avtaar just before the ZX)

Mohit,

You can't compare a Vento and a Corolla - they are positioned differently.

I'll confuse you further and say go buy the SX4 Diesel - it gives you everything that you'll like in a diesel and is a whole lot cheaper.
Old 31st July 2011, 21:35   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
OHC = Old Honda City
NHC = The Honda City that followed (lesser power, more inside space, very practical for the city)
AHNC = Current Honda City with the Arrow shot design.

Not sure which one you are talking about Mohit.
Yes mine is the middle NHC one.

Quote:
Toyota cars are also considered amongst the most reliable cars around. The Germans really aren't. Guess you checked the link I had put up in the Spacious Diesel Sedans thread.

It also has more space inside. Better image (C+ vs C).
In my case, there were ingress/egress and headroom issues too, with the Vento.
The thing is even getting inside the Altis rear seat is a pain. I don't know how to describe it but the angle of ingress is awkward. You tend to hit your head on the roof when you are getting inside. You have to check it out to see it.

My dad is a little apprehensive if the Altis will prove a bit too difficult to maneuvere in some of the places he has to go to. Say Tri Nagar ( his office) , Karol bagh and similar areas. The Vento might be more easier to drive in those areas. I am actually confused if the difference in size is too much for this factor to become important. But this is a double edged sword kind of a dilemma. Because everytime I say the difference in size is not too much, my brain tells me that then why the heck I am paying those extra 5L for?
The image of the car is important but then not to a very big extent. It was something that took us away from Manza but between the Vento and Altis not much of a difference wrt that.

This is getting very confusing ya. Everytime I sit in a Vento I feel its the car to buy. Then I see the Altis or sit inside one and I feel the same for that too. Its obviously more luxurious in terms of space inside. I know I must have started to appear like a moron by now LOL.
Old 31st July 2011, 21:49   #108
Senior - BHPian

I think he means the NHC the one after the OHC
Toyota has priced the corolla correctly, it is a bigger car after all, and is in a segment above the Vento.
But what one needs to analyze too is the need for more space on the inside and outside.
I feel if at max 4 people are going to sit in the car at a time, the Vento makes sense. You save money and get a great car too.
If image is more important then i would go for the Altis.
personally, when we were looking out for a sedan for my parents.
We did look at the Altis too. But in the end, we discussed that it was only my parents who would be using it most. and since it was only the two of them. Why spend extra on a larger saloon. So we zeroed in on a comfortable city cruiser the ANHC. Spacious on the inside and still has decent snob value.
There are various advantages to downsizing too.
1. The cost of acquisition is less.
2. The insurance premium would cost less.
3. It is assumed fuel bills would be less.
4. So would the cost of servicing. etc. etc.
You get the point. Right?
I have come to realize this with my recent experience with the Golden Beauty.
So much so that Chicca is still parked at my parent's place while i am enjoying the ANHC.
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2011, 21:52   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Yes mine is the middle NHC one.
A brilliant city petrol car.

Quote:
The thing is even getting inside the Altis rear seat is a pain. I don't know how to describe it but the angle of ingress is awkward. You tend to hit your head on the roof when you are getting inside. You have to check it out to see it.
I had this specific issue with the Vento. Was about to pen it in my previous post, but then deleted. What I felt was that the distance from the top of the door opening to the top of the seat was not enough in the Vento. I really had to crouch to get in. Also, as you may remember, I could not even sit straight (with my 6') in the rear seat. The headroom was that poor.

There were videos posted by a member on another thread, with a 6'4" reviewer sitting in it with (supposed) comfort. I checked the Vento again (IPL edition), but my experience was just like my first experience.

Do post on how you find the Vento on this particular aspect, Mohit.

Quote:
My dad is a little apprehensive if the Altis will prove a bit too difficult to maneuvere in some of the places he has to go to. Say Tri Nagar ( his office) , Karol bagh and similar areas. The Vento might be more easier to drive in those areas. I am actually confused if the difference in size is too much for this factor to become important. But this is a double edged sword kind of a dilemma. Because everytime I say the difference in size is not too much, my brain tells me that then why the heck I am paying those extra 5L for?
It is the Manza which amazes with it's design in this respect. Not too big on the outside, still very big on the inside (the Swift feels quite the opposite in this respect). That has been ruled out in your case.

In straight line traffic, it is the width of the car which usually makes a big difference. In tight curves, the wheelbase and turning radius also. Unless one is talking about the kind of lanes which intersect Ajmal Khan Road, Karol Bagh traffic should be quite manageable after a month or two's practice.

Quote:
I know I must have started to appear like a moron by now LOL.
Happens to the best of us, when we are out to choose cars

Eventually, Mohit, it often comes down to the poison you are willing to take. Initial high price (Corolla), Lack of image, doubtful A$$ and niggles (Manza), Poor rear seat experience (Fluidic, NFF), Roughish sounding engine, with moderate speace and being similar to your other proposed car (Vento), taking an unpopular car (Optra )
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2011, 21:56   #110
Senior - BHPian

Vento is a good option with a 5 lac saving. Corolla is definitely overpriced. I think a VW should last as long as a Toyota, but the perceived class of a Corolla is one rung above. However as you are also planning a Jetta, I think you should be OK.
Old 31st July 2011, 22:31   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
But what one needs to analyze too is the need for more space on the inside and outside.

There are various advantages to downsizing too.
1. The cost of acquisition is less.
2. The insurance premium would cost less.
3. It is assumed fuel bills would be less.
4. So would the cost of servicing. etc. etc.
You get the point. Right?
Well thats very well summed up. It basically boils down to the snob value I suppose. If thats something very important then its the Altis otherwise the vento. And right now I am trying to ask myself the same question but unable to find an answer as to how important is the snob value to me!

ps: Given that I drive a boring plane jane Innova everyday I guess I am not too high on snob value.
Quote:
A brilliant city petrol car.
Totally agree. Infact due to the good 6 years with our NHC at one point of time during this thread I even thought of buying the Accord or a brand new ANHC only. But then the rising petrol prices are too much to bear.

Quote:
There were videos posted by a member on another thread, with a 6'4" reviewer sitting in it with (supposed) comfort. I checked the Vento again (IPL edition), but my experience was just like my first experience.

Do post on how you find the Vento on this particular aspect, Mohit.
Well I have had different experiences at different times. In one of my visits to the VW, I did feel the space was less and the ingress difficult. But otherdays I didn't notice it. During The last visit 2 days back with my dad also we didn't find any such difficulty.

With the Altis the space between the roof and the door sill/lower panel is very less. So you tend to climb into the cabin literally rather than easing into it. Though once you are inside there is quite a difference in space. I noticed this before during my visit but overlooked it. But then my dad this time climbed into the Altis and said its a little uncomfortable to get into. This is when I remembered that it wasn't my imagination afterall.

Quote:
In straight line traffic, it is the width of the car which usually makes a big difference. In tight curves, the wheelbase and turning radius also. Unless one is talking about the kind of lanes which intersect Ajmal Khan Road, Karol Bagh traffic should be quite manageable after a month or two's practice.
Yup I am talking about those inside roads near gaffar and stuff. I dont dare to take my Innova inside that hell ever unless the driver is with us.
Old 31st July 2011, 23:43   #112
Senior - BHPian

Sharing another random thought. May not make any sense.

Given the tedious lanes around Gaffar, a premium hatch would be a good idea. And once in a while, one could take the other (premium) car for the 'snob aspect'

Does that take you closer to your dream 3series?
Or maybe a more practical Passat. Overall more snob with a Jazz+Passat/BMW than a Vento+Jetta IMO. Also more practicality. You also look more intelligent that way

Guess you would be aware of the 1.75L price cut on the Jazz. Enough for a LOT of petrol-diesel difference. No lag, smooth engine, Honda reliability, wade through small lanes.

Big car for the highways and more open runs. More snob value, when you need it. More comfort on the whole.

Expect it would be the driver + your dad (or maybe another) on most trips, so the Jazz should work.

Jazz was just one good example. You could substitute that with whatever other hatch. But others don't seem premium/snobbish enough (snobbish by hatch standards).
Old 1st August 2011, 07:52   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sharing another random thought. May not make any sense.

Given the tedious lanes around Gaffar, a premium hatch would be a good idea. And once in a while, one could take the other (premium) car for the 'snob aspect'

Does that take you closer to your dream 3series?
Or maybe a more practical Passat. Overall more snob with a Jazz+Passat/BMW than a Vento+Jetta IMO. Also more practicality. You also look more intelligent that way

Guess you would be aware of the 1.75L price cut on the Jazz. Enough for a LOT of petrol-diesel difference. No lag, smooth engine, Honda reliability, wade through small lanes.

Big car for the highways and more open runs. More snob value, when you need it. More comfort on the whole.

Expect it would be the driver + your dad (or maybe another) on most trips, so the Jazz should work.

Jazz was just one good example. You could substitute that with whatever other hatch. But others don't seem premium/snobbish enough (snobbish by hatch standards).
Yes, this seems like a good idea too.
i would keep it at the jazz as the interior space is sedan rivaling. It is almost as spacious as the ANHC. and supremely comfortable, and it's bright and airy to.
so what's your total budget for the 2 cars?
Old 1st August 2011, 08:02   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Good Lord, is this thread still open? I thought you'd made up your mind a few pages ago!

I don't agree with mdsaab that the Altis diesel is correctly priced. 50% premium for a car with 17 BHP less not to mention TORQUE (the VW has 250 Nm of it, not sure about the Altis D)? I doesn't sound reasonable.

Agreed that the Toyota badge signifies reliability but Corolla is also synonymous with "boring" for a lot of folks.

I was in a similar dilemma (Skoda Laura DSG vs Vento AT) and ended up buying the one that was 6 lacs easier on the pocket. Opportunity cost is lower, plus I get to spend the additional moolah on some other stuff. Driving pleasure is almost the same- the Vento is like driving a baby Laura. I do believe it is infintely superior (driving-wise) to an Altis though. Just my opinion.

For the second car, I would suggest you wait for the Jetta and then choose. My feeling is that you will feel the Jetta is not worth the premium either and end up with the Cruze
Old 1st August 2011, 08:06   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Yes, this seems like a good idea too.
i would keep it at the jazz as the interior space is sedan rivaling. It is almost as spacious as the ANHC. and supremely comfortable, and it's bright and airy to.
so what's your total budget for the 2 cars?
I indeed thought of that too. But it has to be a diesel hatchback. Because otherwise he is pretty happy with the NHC only. Among the diesel hatches the only one that appeals is polo and in that case we felt we should pay an extra 2 L over the polo high line and get the vento. The new swift though can surely be considered too.

The budget is not fixed as such. Lets say 30L for both the cars to just put a value to it. But yea we are not looking at the D segment seriously for either of the cars.
Old 1st August 2011, 08:15   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Polo diesel 1.2 is not worth it, man. It's a 3 pot engine and noisy as heck. The 1.6 TDI is in another league altogether.
Old 1st August 2011, 08:19   #117
Senior - BHPian

If it's diesel Polo, then seriously paying 2L over and getting the Vento is worth it.
Noops, what i meant about the Corolla pricing is segment wise.
It's a C+ sedan, so will be priced around the 15L region.
and then you know Indian companies right, Diesel models have to cost more than the petrol ones. So in that respect i feel the Corolla is priced right.
Though you are right too, Toyota could have priced it more competitively.
Old 1st August 2011, 10:55   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Polo diesel 1.2 is not worth it, man. It's a 3 pot engine and noisy as heck. The 1.6 TDI is in another league altogether.
Quote:
If it's diesel Polo, then seriously paying 2L over and getting the Vento is worth it.
Noops, what i meant about the Corolla pricing is segment wise.
It's a C+ sedan, so will be priced around the 15L region.
and then you know Indian companies right, Diesel models have to cost more than the petrol ones. So in that respect i feel the Corolla is priced right.
Though you are right too, Toyota could have priced it more competitively.
Thats why I ruled out the hatches. I am guessing the decision will be made once the jetta comes out. Anyways its only 2 more weeks. If we don't like the jetta then we will book the altis for the sake of experiencing the C+ segment. The jetta pricing will also have to be considered. Also the new swift will come by that time. What say guys? Its getting very tough to choose otherwise because even the Altis looks very classy to me evertime I see one.
Old 1st August 2011, 18:35   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Thats why I ruled out the hatches. I am guessing the decision will be made once the jetta comes out. Anyways its only 2 more weeks. If we don't like the jetta then we will book the altis for the sake of experiencing the C+ segment. The jetta pricing will also have to be considered. Also the new swift will come by that time. What say guys? Its getting very tough to choose otherwise because even the Altis looks very classy to me evertime I see one.
Just saw the new Jetta on the road today, Looks very nice.
Like a mini A4. The interiors from whatever i could glance looked special too.
I am quite sure you will like the new Jetta over the Altis
Old 1st August 2011, 18:45   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just saw the new Jetta on the road today, Looks very nice.
Like a mini A4. The interiors from whatever i could glance looked special too.
I am quite sure you will like the new Jetta over the Altis
Lucky you man. I have had no such luck. Desperately waiting for the launch date and specially the TBHP review. Did it appear bigger then the current Jetta? And the front? How much did it remind you of the Vento?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks