Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2013, 09:50   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The search for the Family Long Distance Tourer begins- Update: 2nd Car Query, Pg 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
we don't have any baby-sitter and neither will we get one.
There's no real usage for the third row.
Between the Sunny, Etios and Amaze, pick the car with the highest resale value. Or pick a pre-owned Manza, which has the lowest resale value - and since it's going to be a chauffeur-driven city car, not a long distance tourer, reliability can be compromised a little. Tata cars are actually not as bad nowadays as they used to be!
Old 13th July 2013, 10:30   #107
BHPian

re: The search for the Family Long Distance Tourer begins- Update: 2nd Car Query, Pg 15

Quote:
Thanks - so the sunny and the etios it is, who are in prime time contention!

Sir,

we don't have any baby-sitter and neither will we get one. That is pretty much a given at the moment.

Either mother would visit us in Chennai only for like a week or ten days at max. There'll be negligible socializing as well. There's no real usage for the third row.
Buddy i would suggest try for Sx4 Zdi, i got mine for 8.6 L OTR. Just push for more discounts, get quotes from various dealers. Maruti is offering 1L+ discount on Sx4. Its a no nonsense car, with MASS reliability which no other OE can beat this date.
amitpunjani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2013, 11:27   #108
Senior - BHPian

For rear cseat comfort I would also go with Sunny. It has much better rear seating arrangement compared to the Etios. As "drmohitg" has commented it has every thing you need for a chaufer driven car.
Aroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2013, 11:38   #109
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest the Toyota for you. It will provide you most long term peace of mind and lowest cost of ownership but coupled with least character. It will do what its supposed to do, day in and day out, to the point of being boring.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2013, 12:51   #110
Senior - BHPian

Hey buddy,

The 1.5 dCi engine is not in the same state of tune in all the models you have listed. The Sunny has the 84bhp version of the engine, which features a VGT while the Verito, Micra & Pulse all come with the 65bhp version that features a FGT.

Drive safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
But, Pulse,Verito,Micra, etc all have the same engine in one tune or the other right? Almost the second national engine. Seen the odo reads of it right?
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2013, 19:40   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks - this is quite in line with my perspective as well. Plus the wife will be mentally at peace, unlike the
And if you are serious about disposing the car before you leave Chennai, buy the Etios vd. Apart from the suggestions above I will give you an example as to why you should choose the Toyota. I have an Innova(my dad's car I'm only 19), we bought it way back in 2009 from Harsha Toyota,Chennai for 10.5L OTR(GX). Now over the years the price of the Innova has risen by a big margin,So because of the increase in price my Innova(60k kms 3.5yrs) has been valued at 10.5L(yeah!!!it's in very good nick). Basically it's an appreciated asset. In the future it might be the same with the Etios, well if not appreciated, it won't lose much value. "So you can have the cake and eat it too"(if you buy a Toyota or a Suzuki).
Shanksta is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2013, 20:22   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
And if you are serious about disposing the car before you leave Chennai, buy the Etios vd. Apart from the suggestions above I will give you an example as to why you should choose the Toyota. I have an Innova(my dad's car I'm only 19), we bought it way back in 2009 from Harsha Toyota,Chennai for 10.5L OTR(GX). Now over the years the price of the Innova has risen by a big margin,So because of the increase in price my Innova(60k kms 3.5yrs) has been valued at 10.5L(yeah!!!it's in very good nick). Basically it's an appreciated asset. In the future it might be the same with the Etios, well if not appreciated, it won't lose much value. "So you can have the cake and eat it too"(if you buy a Toyota or a Suzuki).
Thanks Shanksta,

I am aware of this - I took a TD of the Etios VDSP - its a very nimble car that is quite decent to drive, has excellent brakes, decent rear seat (close to Sunny but nowhere as good as the Optra's sofa that I look upto!) but the sales person had tsk1979's patented "chi" sticker on his head. He claimed that toyota fuel filters in Etios last for 2L km, the coolant change is due at 1.6L km and service costs till 1L km are 28,000 INR. They are currently offering 40k KM service package for 10k free (alongwith 15k of exchange bonus and free accessories).

That said, the other issue we are trying to sort out, is potentially taking the swift to chennai, letting the driver abuse it for 2-3 years, and thereafter bringing it back and selling it here, to avoid the depreciation loss on a TN regd car. Let me see how things pan out.
Old 15th July 2013, 20:59   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What among these (or others I may have missed) would folks recommend?
Here's a suggestion that's way out of left field: A second hand Honda Jazz-X. Lots of usable space, good FE, nimble in the city, peppy on the highways, has all the safety paraphernelia and spares availability won't be an issue hopefully as it's a Honda and it's not been that long since they've stopped production.

The only challenege is finding one in decent nick.

All the best, will watch this space to find out what you finally choose.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2013, 22:16   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Here's a suggestion that's way out of left field: A second hand Honda Jazz-X. Lots of usable space, good FE, nimble in the city, peppy on the highways, has all the safety paraphernelia and spares availability won't be an issue hopefully as it's a Honda and it's not been that long since they've stopped production.

The only challenege is finding one in decent nick.

All the best, will watch this space to find out what you finally choose.

Cheers,
Vikram
Thanks Vikram - this is indeed an interesting option. Except I'm not sure it makes for an interesting city drive to be chauffered around the city in, esp given the way petrol is heading.

Like I posted above, given the considerable uncertainty - the first attempt is to rectify / take the VDi along given its limited resale value, and given the otherwise ginormous costs in shifting that we are incurring + the heavy duty security deposit in Chennai. But yes, if we do plan to buy a new vehicle there - I will look up the jazz-x, I have only heard good words about it from all owners, finding a good used piece may be a mini project!
Old 15th July 2013, 22:21   #115
BHPian

Quote:
That said, the other issue we are trying to sort out, is potentially taking the swift to chennai, letting the driver abuse it for 2-3 years, and thereafter bringing it back and selling it here, to avoid the depreciation loss on a TN regd car. Let me see how things pan out.
Be prepared to be harrassed by Chennai Traffic Police. I got so sick of this that I went through the nightmare of getting my Karnataka plates converted to TN. Once is enough! When I moved back to Bangalore recently, I sold the car in Chennai and am buying a new one here.
TheTeacher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2013, 22:30   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Be prepared to be harrassed by Chennai Traffic Police. I got so sick of this that I went through the nightmare of getting my Karnataka plates converted to TN. Once is enough! When I moved back to Bangalore recently, I sold the car in Chennai and am buying a new one here.
This is interesting. Help me understand two things:
a. What is the possibility of paying the bribes occasionally and getting away with it for six months till we figure out our life plans? Last thing we'd want is to do all this silly paperwork and then find out that we need to move back :(

b. What all did you have to do to get the NOC (did you have to bring an invoice with your car's value as Samurai had once mentioned on his jeep thread) and what other steps did you follow?
Old 15th July 2013, 22:41   #117
BHPian

Phamilyman, considering that you don't even want to go anywhere near skoda / vw, Sunny is a good choice though it is not an enthusiast 's car. But IMO if you are spending 10+ lacs, you should definitely get one with ABS and airbags, don't even think otherwise please. Also have you considered or checked out Linea (Tjet and diesel), ANHC and sail sedan ? A TD would not make you loose anything but gives you more points to evaluate. If you are ok with petrol I would either say go for Tjet or atleast ANHC.
shinuak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 12:44   #118
BHPian

Quote:
This is interesting. Help me understand two things:
a. What is the possibility of paying the bribes occasionally and getting away with it for six months till we figure out our life plans? Last thing we'd want is to do all this silly paperwork and then find out that we need to move back :(

b. What all did you have to do to get the NOC (did you have to bring an invoice with your car's value as Samurai had once mentioned on his jeep thread) and what other steps did you follow?
In my case, I took my Bangalore registered car to Chennai in Jan 2008.

In the early days, they would catch me as I was leaving work at around 11 pm. I would lie and say I was there on a project for a couple of weeks, and then I would be going back to Bangalore. They bought that, but then started to say they would note down my license plate # and watch how many times I passed by. When this happened, I would leave later from work, take a different route, etc. to avoid them.

Then they wised up and wouldn't buy my story anymore. I knew someone in Bangalore who did RTO work, so I got NOCs through him (he sent me the forms, I filled them out and sent them back, and he returned them to me with the RTO rubber stamp, signatures, etc.). Be warned, though. I was told once an RTO issues an NOC, you are technically no longer attached to them, and have to go ahead with re-registration at the new RTO. You cannot go back to the RTO that issued the NOCs. If you do, you will be in limbo, no man's land. I'm sorry I can't help more than this with the NOCs because the guy in Bangalore took care of it for me. I never left Chennai, and the car was also in Chennai, only the forms went back and forth.

Waving the NOCs in front of the cops worked for a while, Then they wised up and began to read them. When they saw the NOCs were more than 6 months old, they would get angry.

You can bribe your way out, but it is a harrowing experience. When they stop you, you will also need to have all the other papers - RC book, insurance certificate, PUC, in original. One cop told me he could impound my car on the spot since it was out of state and I had only copies in the car (the originals were at home). One has to go to the court to get the car released.

In your case, if you think there is a possibility of coming back to Gurgaon in a few months, you can try this. One cop told me to go to the nearest toll booth and get a receipt. Apparently the receipt entitles one to use the car in Chennai with outstation plates for a length of time (I'm sorry I forgot what it was; 6, perhaps 8 weeks). He told me to do this very few weeks. You cannot enter Chennai by road without paying toll. Depending on where you end up staying, drive out of Chennai past the nearest toll booth, turn around, pay the toll and re-enter Chennai. Save the toll receipt!! The danger is if you always take a particular route everyday going to work, and the same cops hang out there, they will recognize that you've been there several months.

One factor that may work in your favor is if you have DL plates. They are a bit cautious dealing with these, because they don't know if it's somebody powerful from Delhi. Won't work if you have HR or UP plates.

If you do decide to get the plates converted, this is what you'll need.

NOCs from your home RTO.
The original invoice of the car (even if you bought it second hand)
You'll have to pay full TN lifetime tax on the car's original invoice value, plus processing fees.

Don't ever attempt to do this yourself; it's suicidal. Become a member of the Automobile Association of South India (lifetime membership of ~ Rs. 5k). They will handle it for you with the RTO without bribes, etc. and in the fastest possible time frame.

One thing the RTO is a stickler for is address proof. A local BSNL landline bill will suffice, or a Chennai ration card / voter's ID (nightmare to get these). The car was in my wife's name, and our BSNL landline was in my name. The Auto Assoc. finally told us to get an LIC policy in my wife's name. We did that for a small amount, but that was accepted by the RTO as proof of address (this whole address proof nonsense in India is a sham. A knowledgeable person can easily game the system).

Back in 2008, they were more lenient. These days, they station themselves outside big offices (IT parks, for example) around 3 pm and have a merry time catching outstation cars till around 11 pm. Earlier they used to catch outstation cars only at night. Then they started to do it at all times of the day.

India needs to move to a PAN-India status for cars. It is a huge burden and nightmare for the common man to deal with this. These large (IT) companies making money hand-over-fist don't help at all with issues like this, kids' admission to school, etc., and unlike companies in the USA, don't lobby the governments for the betterment of their employees.

Hope this helps.
TheTeacher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 20:15   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Shanksta,

I am aware of this - I took a TD of the Etios VDSP - its a very nimble car that is quite decent to drive, has excellent brakes, decent rear seat (close to Sunny but nowhere as good as the Optra's sofa that I look upto!) but the sales person had tsk1979's patented "chi" sticker on his head. He claimed that toyota fuel filters in Etios last for 2L km, the coolant change is due at 1.6L km and service costs till 1L km are 28,000 INR. They are currently offering 40k KM service package for 10k free (alongwith 15k of exchange bonus and free accessories).

Well I would say he is absolutely right. Infact when you own a Toyota you get so bored of it's reliability() that you tend to pick on it even if there is a small issue. A while back BHPian Amalji had posted that he had personally seen a Etios in Kerala that has run 1.5 lakh Kms and has not yet had its Fuel filter changed and if your driving style is sedate you get bored because you don't have to change anything. In our Innova as mentioned above, have not even got a chance to change the brake pads yet because they have'nt worn out even after 60k kms(though gonna change it during this service as preventive measure), and these brake pads last only 40k kms in Taxi Innovas. Whatever said about Toyota,they surely do live up to the claim.

You could also get your Swift to Chennai my uncle still has one that has done 1.6L kms and I drove it this weekend when I was in Bengaluru and still feels good even after all the abuse my uncle has put it through.
Shanksta is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 20:53   #120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Wow! that turbo is costly!

But, Pulse,Verito,Micra, etc all have the same engine in one tune or the other right? Almost the second national engine. Seen the odo reads of it right? Why the tension about turbo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Hey buddy,
The 1.5 dCi engine is not in the same state of tune in all the models you have listed. The Sunny has the 84bhp version of the engine, which features a VGT while the Verito, Micra & Pulse all come with the 65bhp version that features a FGT.
Even the 84bhp has an FGT. Only the 110 versions have a VGT.

Ref :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-variants.html
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed