Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Given a choice which of these would you choose?
Honda Amaze Petrol MT 60 11.17%
Swift Dzire Petrol MT 30 5.59%
Honda Amaze Diesel MT 285 53.07%
Swift Dzire Diesel MT 74 13.78%
Honda Amaze Petrol AT 70 13.04%
Swift Dzire Petrol AT 17 3.17%
None of these something else 85 15.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 537. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2013, 00:31   #76
BHPian

re: Honda Amaze vs Maruti Dzire vs Hyundai Xcent

I own a Dzire ZDI (old model).Had test drive of the Amaze.I cam say that it is only a desperate attempt by Honda to grab its lost market through a sub 4 Mtr car.Nothing amazing in it. I dont feel to change my Dzire with an Amaze.
Old 7th May 2013, 16:29   #77
BHPian

After being confused for few days, now I'm inching towards Dzire. My running of this additional car is going to be low ( approx 500kms per month) that too only in city. The car will be used by my children who will be in backseat so basically backseat comfort was more important. The safety was one of the most important criteria for me so was left with either Amaze VXMT or Dzire ZXI. Both are almost identically priced but Dzire scored in terms of features and refinement. I found amaze to be more noisy than Dzire. This doesn't mean than Amaze is a noisy car, it's just that I found Dzire to be more silent. I had always loved Jazz and today if it would have been in production then would have gone with for the plush feeling and rev happy engine.

I also thought of I20 and Ertiga all in petrol, but I20 lacked the punch and Ertiga top end was going out of budget.

I already have OHC Vtec, Civic, Cedia and SX4 so the car had to be fun to drive so that incase I take it out for short drive I don't feel frustrated.

My budget was not more than 8 Lakhs on road in Mumbai.

Somehow amaze disappointed me with the premium feel inside the cabin. The car surely looks good from outside and has Honda engine but probably couldn't live upto my expectation from Honda. I expect both of them to be at par on FE, though it's not a deal maker or breaker as my running is low.The waiting period also is higher for Honda. I still have probably 1 month time to go ahead for the new car so verdict is not final but mostly as it looks like Dzire it should be.

Last edited by saurabhkum : 7th May 2013 at 16:30. Reason: Spelling
Old 7th May 2013, 16:39   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
I found amaze to be more noisy than Dzire. This doesn't mean than Amaze is a noisy car
Hi Saurabh, you mean the noise was evident in petrol version as well? I thought only the diesel cabins were bit noisy?

For petrol engines i still wonder why honda engines would generate noise as they have the reputation of some of the most hush... petrol engines in the market ?
Old 7th May 2013, 16:50   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
Hi Saurabh, you mean the noise was evident in petrol version as well? I thought only the diesel cabins were bit noisy?

For petrol engines i still wonder why honda engines would generate noise as they have the reputation of some of the most hush... petrol engines in the market ?
Yes in petrol version as well. Even if you stand out and car is revved to 1.5k-2k rpm then you can easily make out the extra noise. I was actually shocked to see a Honda Petrol having more engine noise as per other petrol vehicles in this segment. I had never found that kind of engine noise or sound in Jazz or even in Brio. Has Honda done some design change or cost cutting measure in Amaze which has resulted in this behavior?
Old 7th May 2013, 17:01   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkum View Post
Yes in petrol version as well. Even if you stand out and car is revved to 1.5k-2k rpm then you can easily make out the extra noise.
No wonder why the NVH levels are quoted so high for Amaze. I am sure Honda is listening to the NOISE and will come out soon with a solution but initial takers will have to bear the grunt
Old 7th May 2013, 17:02   #81
Senior - BHPian

Good to see that more people would like to go with Amaze PETROL AT than Dezire DIESEL MT. This shows our growing inclination towards quality Automatics.
Old 9th May 2013, 02:23   #82
BHPian

Amaze testdrive (from a dzire owner)

Externals,styling,build quality : Amaze's styling is neutral and it will not have polarised opinion as is with the quirky new Dzire. It looks like a proper three box car. Dzire in comparison has a more aggressive front end. It looks taller and wider. Somehow I felt the styling resembles previous generation (Dolphin) Honda city with the boot looking slightly overhanged compared to its compact nose when viewed from side. No doubt the boot is well integrated overall in the Amaze and it infact looks better than its hatchback version.

Overdose of chrome and too many slashes are meant to appeal general Indian public in particular. Doesnt look as global as say the Jazz. Build quality is light and not too different from what Dzire (slightly more solid) has to offer. Cars like Verito and Manza have much more heavy construction.

Interiors,comfort and space :
If you talk about interior quality,Honda has frankly provided decent quality for its segment and the quality is consistent throughout. The plastics and fabrics used have nothing to complain about Dzire has some better looking touches like fake wood finish,chrome dials,slightly better quality plastics to make it feel richer overall. But quality isnot uniformly good as some levers,power window switches etc feel cheap. While the quality is good, overall interior looks bit plane jane. Dashboard in particular is more function than form. Dzire's dashboard and interior ambience is clearly superior here. *Do check out the lower variants of Amaze where the dashboard looks even more basic. There is a big gap in the glovebox when closed, which isnot there in Brio ! *

Space management is excellent and Honda managed to generate volume as good as Sail from a 4 meter car. Front seats with those fixed headrests arent as bad as they sound. I felt it would provide decent support overall being wide enough. Outright driver comfort will still be there with Dzire's excellent front seats with good back support. Amaze isnot too far behind. Rearseat legroom in particular is almost as good as Honda City which was parked next to it. Headroom though is bit of a compromise for 6 feet guys like me (Not that Dzire is much better but still it offers slightly better head space). Width of the rear seat is best for two and I actually found the flat bench of Brio at rear to be more convenient for three people. You seat slightly higher in the Dzire at the back with more thigh support. Still Amaze will *have that legroom advantage and bigger windows to aid that sense of space.
400 litre boot space is sufficient for most families and there should be no complaints whatsoever. Somehow I felt Jazz's engineering brilliance and hatchback design can make it accomodate more luggage than Amaze. Anyway, hats off to Honda for such excellent space management compared to what you get in Dzire.

Engine,Gearbox and Performance : Honda's all new IDTEC engine is a cleverly engineered product. Crank the engine and the diesel clatter is evident. Its not grave silent at idle as is with Petrol Honda engines. NVH is not too bad either. Almost comparable to Dzire's DDiS unit. On the move though sound levels are on the higher side. Rev the engine, it can be annoyingly noisy even if you are sitting at the back. Dzire is definitely more silent than Amaze on the move. Shockingly the engine isnt as audiable outside ! I felt Amaze's noise level is comparable to what it is in Ford Figo's TDCi powerplant.

Interestingly the nature of the idtec is very similar to TDCI engine albeit with more punch. Turbolag is minimum and the car requires very less effort to pull from 1200-1400 rpm. Driveability is excellent and a boon if you spend most of your time in slow moving traffic. I tried to drive it in higher gears and the engine can definitely pull from 1400 rpm in topgear effortlessly. If you try something similar in a Dzire it will feel like it is about to die. For highway prospective you will require far lesser downshifts in case you deaccelarate for slow moving vehicles ahead. Turbo spools quite early to make things quite effortless. Power delivery is quite linear and there will be no sudden spikes as witnessed in Dzire. While the driveability is very good, the outright punch isnt as good as 100 PS sounds. The engine tuned for better fuel efficiency and it shows. The engine doesnt like being revved either. Its a low revving unit (even by diesel car standards) and feels better when worked around the torque available in lower and midrange. DDiS unit in Dzire (as per diesel engine standards) feels more free revving and you feel comfortable revving atleast 500 rpm higher in almost all gears. If you love pushing your car hard, DDiS feels bit more enthusiastic. IDTEC is responsive and driveable. There is a sense of urgency with Dzire's engine thanks to the turbo boost (turbokick as famously said !) at around 2000-2200 rpm which makes it feel faster than the 25 bhp gap between the two cars suggest.

Gearbox is typically Japanese and feels light and relatively short throw. Dzire is evenly matched with nothing to choose between the two. One special highlight of Amaze is its petrol like soft clutch. It will work like a blessing in crawling traffic. Just release the clutch in second gear and the car rolls. Dzire's clutch is heavier in comparison like a typical diesel. *

Dynamics,Suspension and Braking : Amaze's steering felt shockingly heavier than what I have ever witnessed in a Honda ! Maybe its because of more weight on the front tyres due to heavier engine. Its definitely not feather light as is in Brio or even City. Infact I felt Dzire's steering to slightly lighter. Back to back drive is required to have a definite conclusion. Dont get me wrong, the steering is still light compared to HPS units (ford,fiat) but a certain amount of extra effort is required compared to petrol Hondas. Heavier steering will be good thing to have on highways for better confidence at speed.

Ride quality is definite step up from Brio. Amaze doesnt crash like the Brio on potholed roads thanks to the longer wheelbase. It needs to be seen how the car behaves when fully loaded as the setup is on the softer side. Dzire's ride is bit more stable than Amaze's on uneven roads. Difference is minimal though Amaze transmits more road and suspension noise inside compared to Dzire.

Handling is predictable and adequate for the class of people it is targetted. For most of the driving cycle an average Amaze owner goes through,there will be nothing to complain about. Push the car and you will notice the body roll thanks to its soft suspension. Brio's go cart like feel is somewhat missing as sudden lane changes in Amaze isnt as quick. Dzire's body roll is definitely more controlled and I am sure it will corner better than the Honda. Straightline stability is almost evenly matched with Amaze feeling decently stable at 100-110 kmph (max I could push the car)

Amaze is effortless to drive in city thanks to its compact dimension and even better than Dzire for better visibility overall from pilot seats.

Braking as witnessed in Amaze is topclass. The feel of the pedals,body control and response time is very good. ABS as standard fitment on all models is like cherry on the top. Dzire's spongy brakes in VDi feels disappointing. *

Overall : Amaze is a very well engineered practical sedan which specifically designed keeping in mind the requirements of a prospective entry level sedan customer Space management is brilliant, the diesel powerplant is very practical for Indian driving conditions and the overall quality and value provided is very good. Presence of ABS as standard on all models is a welcome step by Honda. There are few shortcomings like cost cutting bits,noisy diesel engine and average dynamics but some of them can be tolerated keeping overall package in mind. Thumbs up Honda ! *

Dzire, I am sure has it own bits like better looking interiors,refinement and overall dynamics favouring. And the DDiS vs IDTEC comparo is more than what numbers suggest.

Amaze though is a more practical car with better space utilisation, more responsive and powerful engine and ofcourse better equipment distribution in lower and middle variants.

Last edited by Turbokick : 9th May 2013 at 02:26.
Turbokick is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 11:12   #83
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 11th May 2013 at 14:09.
Pheonix is offline   Received Infraction
Old 9th May 2013, 12:39   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by namit View Post
Honestly its hard to digest how we ourselves create hype of something out of nothing .. I mean how can u compare a newly built non proven and that too a diesel engine from a petrol expert continent manufacturer ... Well let Honda prove themselves in Diesel whereas Fiat and other european manufacturers are experts in diesel technology dont forget fiat multijet is a world engine of the year 2005 and it won on various parameters including low maintenance
It has got more hype because Honda took a decade to launch a diesel. A lot of first time buyers might feel trusted DDIS is a better buy . We must atleast give a pat on the back of Honda engineers for the effort put on the I-DTEC . You might think its hype out nothing , but 22000 odd people do think Amaze is worth the hype. Lets not write of Honda so fast. It will take them atleast 2 years to prove their reliability in diesel department.

OT : I have booked Amaze VX D , i myself feel Dzire trumps it in many departments . Not Supporting any brand here. Just feel we should appreciate any manufacturer instead of calling it overhype !
Old 9th May 2013, 17:27   #85
BHPian

Why not take out an automatic diesel variant. Considering the large fan following of Honda, their bliss of automatic transmission vehicles. I'm sure the pricing will increase but there's no harm in having another variant on the offer.
Now I know that Honda delivers diesel cars in Europe such as the accord. So there's not much R&D to be put into making an automatic transmission Honda Amaze Diesel Variant.
In the Indian market, why does one have to spend so much to drive an automatic transmission? There should me more options available at the entry level.
Old 9th May 2013, 19:08   #86
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

I chose to go with Honda Amaze Diesel MT.

The reason proper looking sedan rather than Dzire where boot looks clearly forced upon Swift. Also the in-car space management & boot size is very well planned consireding the fact that it is a sub-4 meter car.

Further Honda's new 1.5 i-DTEC engine produces more power & higher torque at lower RPM will definitely present better fuel efficiency & performance. The best thing I like is ABS being a standard feature in all Amaze models. This is something that all Car manufacturers in India (including Honda) should note. I feel as a matter of policy ABS should be mandatory for all Cars. Kudos to Honda for initiating this (standard ABS) in Amaze.

Thanks,
Old 9th May 2013, 20:13   #87
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Swift Dzire Diesel MT.

1) Feels more refined or rather silent than Amaze.
2) More solid than Amaze, much better build. Amaze literally seems a "made for Asis".
3) A proven engine as compared to Honda diesel
4) Service centers ( location ) and part price (a guess than MUL will have the part price less than Honda ).
5) Very balanced ride and handling, above the average sedan.
6) The tall hood and tall boot make it look well proportioned (IMO).
7) I am not a very big fan of sloping bonnets. The arrowshot design from Honda promotes sloping bonnets.
8) Despite having much small and old diesel engine, weight of Dzire and Bigger ( and modern, lightweight ) engined Amaze is not very different. I somehow doubt the safety aspect of Brio and Amaze. Dzire is based on a platform which is tested and developed keeping in mind the modern safety standards which are prevalent in developed countries. Somehow, I find Dzire to be much better as far as built goes as compared to Amaze.

All the points above are my views and not to hurt anybody.
Old 11th May 2013, 16:30   #88
BHPian

Dzire is never a bad option, having said that, my preference would be Amaze ! both have comparable performance or IMO Amaze performs better and in the beauty contest Amaze wins hands down !! If this was available one year back, definitely my car would have been an AMAZE and not a polo !
Old 22nd May 2013, 10:49   #89
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

Came across this piece of news today - Maruti DZire outsells Swift in April.

Source: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/20187131.cms

Maruti managed to sell 19,446 units of Dzire in April 2013 (as compared to 15,510 in April 2012). Launched last month, Honda managed to sell 4,852 units of Amaze last month.

With launch of Honda Amaza, we were expecting Maruti Dzire's sales to fall, but instead Dzire last month was just 400 units short of becoming highest selling car for the company.

In coming months it will be interesting to see how Honda manages to eat-up Maruti's dominance in sub-4 meter sedan segment.

Thanks,
Old 5th June 2013, 16:33   #90
BHPian

Voted for the Dzire petrol MT & booked a Vxi model on 1st June
(Did not consider the oil burner option)

Reasons being pretty simple:
1. K12M with VVT! Super refined motor
2. Interiors better than the competition, premium feel inside
3. Maruti A.S.S
4. Good resale value as compared to the competition
Siddy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks