View Poll Results: Your choice?
Audi A3 85 21.68%
Skoda Octavia 164 41.84%
VW Jetta 143 36.48%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2015, 10:48   #151
BHPian

Re: Audi A3 versus VW Jetta / Skoda Octavia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
On the TSi, I don't drive much and 90% of my driving is in city, so petrol is fine for me. The car is very easy to drive in the city and is powerful enough on highways as well. Don't be fooled by the 1.4 TSi nomenclature. Its quite fast when you need it to be. And can be a totally calm animal in the city.
Thanks Mav2000, very reassuring.

Quote:
If the car you are getting is white, then my inferences are correct. That being the case, there should not be any issue with the car being used or anything.
Yes indeed they always only had white TSIs in stock, so I think you have a point there.

BTW did you upgrade your RCD320 HU at all?

Other members, can I please have some inputs on where I can get a Blaupunkt philedelphia system purchased and installed in India, and how much would it cost?

The upgrade the SA mentioned included a touch screen, GPS Navigation, 2 rear speakers and reverse parking camera (for 48k the last time we talked), which on second thoughts things we really need. However I would really like to understand how much I can save by getting this done post-purchase.

All inputs welcome.
Old 7th February 2015, 11:05   #152
BHPian

Don't worry on the HU upgrade. I did mine and changed it out to the Delphi RCD 510. I am now going to change it to the Bosch 510 with advanced BT. I will have the Delphi system and normal BT for sale very soon. As long as your service centre does not have an issue, you can get the Delphi system for around 15k and the Bosch one for around 27-30k. The blaupunkt is not worth it.
You can go for the Delphi one with reverse camera input as well, which is the one I am planning to sell.

Last edited by mav2000 : 7th February 2015 at 11:06.
mav2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2015, 12:18   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Don't worry on the HU upgrade. I did mine and changed it out to the Delphi RCD 510. I am now going to change it to the Bosch 510 with advanced BT. I will have the Delphi system and normal BT for sale very soon. As long as your service centre does not have an issue, you can get the Delphi system for around 15k and the Bosch one for around 27-30k. The blaupunkt is not worth it.
You can go for the Delphi one with reverse camera input as well, which is the one I am planning to sell.
Thanks Mav2000, based on your inputs, I will skip the HU upgrade at the time of purchase, and will come back to this thread post-purchase for inputs.

BTW, is the extended warranty really essential in the case of the Jetta CL MT TSI as well, any experiences forum members?
Old 7th February 2015, 17:34   #154
BHPian

Have not taken this yet, so I have the same question as well
Old 7th February 2015, 19:07   #155
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
BTW, is the extended warranty really essential in the case of the Jetta CL MT TSI as well, any experiences forum members?
Quote:
Have not taken this yet, so I have the same question as well
Though the CL TSI does not have the risky DSG, still the spares are very expensive. Name any major spare - like AC compressor, ABS controller - they are super expensive. So, it definitely gives peace of mind if you have a 4 year warranty on the car.

I guess the cost of extended warranty for the CL should be less than the HL DSG. If yes, then I would say "Go for it".
Old 7th February 2015, 19:36   #156
BHPian

Its about 45k for two years if I am not wrong
Old 7th February 2015, 23:31   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
1. You mention 2 lakh discount. Is this off the price of 17.14 lakh (pre Jan) or 17.8 lakh price (post Jan)? Please note that if the car is August manufacture, excise is already billed at the lower rate. So, if the dealer is offering you a 2 lakh discount on 17.8 lakh, then it is in reality only a discount of 1.34 lakh, as he in only liable for lower excise.
So back from another meeting with the SA, he is still sticking to his story, that although the VIN number says August 2014, the Jetta was actually received in the stockyard in Jan 2015. Is this even possible? I am almost sure he is taking me for a ride. So he is costing it with a number he says includes the new excise rates, and on those numbers is giving me a discount of 1 lac. This is increasingly making me feel, he is having to pay lower excise rates, and he is actually giving me only 40k discount.

Can senior members please comment on how this works with regard to CKD, VIN numbers and the excise rate? Should it be the rate at the date mentioned by the VIN number, or the date the dealer "claims" the car reached the stockyard? Any official pointers confirming the same would be great!

Quote:
3. August 2014 model - this is total rubbish on multiple counts. Jetta is CKD, not CBU, there is a difference between the two. Assembly is done in India. My Jetta was delivered in Nov 2013, with manufacturing date Nov 2013 and model year 2014 (it was one of the first of a new series that they launched in that month). So to say that it takes 3 months is totally misleading.
Right so you mean if the VIN number says manufactured in August 2014, it was most probably ready for purchase and delivery in August 2014? Which in turn implies the excise should have been paid at lower rates, right?

Quote:
Thanks Mav2000. On my visit today I found the Blaupunkt unit is now 53k, with an additional 3k for the 2 rear speakers.

There is another option now apparently, and that is to have a 10 inch tab instead of the RCDs or the Blaupunkt. This tab has an android base and can also help with navigation. The unit was called something like Caska Avion, and was quoted for 47k, with 3k for 2 rear speakers. It does not come with a CD player strangely.

Any one has heard of this new unit, and has any inputs about the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Though the CL TSI does not have the risky DSG, still the spares are very expensive. Name any major spare - like AC compressor, ABS controller - they are super expensive. So, it definitely gives peace of mind if you have a 4 year warranty on the car.

I guess the cost of extended warranty for the CL should be less than the HL DSG. If yes, then I would say "Go for it".
Thanks for jumping in with inputs graaja, yes, I think I will go for it nevertheless.

Quote:
Its about 45k for two years if I am not wrong
Very close, it is 46k for 2 years at the moment.
Old 8th February 2015, 00:17   #158
BHPian

Quote:
So back from another meeting with the SA, he is still sticking to his story, that although the VIN number says August 2014, the Jetta was actually received in the stockyard in Jan 2015. Is this even possible? I am almost sure he is taking me for a ride. So he is costing it with a number he says includes the new excise rates, and on those numbers is giving me a discount of 1 lac. This is increasingly making me feel, he is having to pay lower excise rates, and he is actually giving me only 40k discount.
Excise duty is paid when the car leaves the factory gates. So ideally for a car that was built in August 2014, lower excise would have been paid. But, most dealers don't do that and say price at time of delivery is valid. Noticed this today at a Honda dealership. They were adamant on charging new prices for 2014 cars too and were giving a paltry discount which is lesser than the excise hike! Double whammy for the customer
No discounts effectively and an older car!

Last edited by amansanc : 8th February 2015 at 00:25.
amansanc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2015, 09:47   #159
BHPian

Excise duty is paid by the manufacturer (VW India) on the date of manufacture, and that would obviously have been paid at the lower rates since it is manufactured in Aug 2014. The fact that the dealer sells you the vehicle in Feb 15 does not change the excise.

I have no idea why a Aug manufactured vehicle should come to the dealer 5 months late, unless it is an unsold car or test drive return. Please do speak to a senior salesperson or the head of the dealership and ask him to come clean. Should not happen for CKD cars.

Re. the condition of the vehicle, please insist on a full inspection, both interior and exterior. Look for signs of wear and tear, scratches, spots, etc. Examine the seats for signs that they have been used. Are the original plastic covers still there? Usually beige leatherette will show signs of usage (fading sheen, faint dust residue). Do a thorough inspection under the hood. Rats can chew on any of the wiring or on rubber/Polymer pipes like the windscreen wash fluid pipe. But it may not be obvious. I am sure they will clean it before showing you so you may not see any rat droppings even if they were there. Run the car for a drive. You can tell the stiffness of a new car from the relatively easier feel of a used car - clutch, brakes, gear all have a different feel in a new car. Do switch on and try all of the buttons, controls and electrical fittings. Absolutely ALL of them. SA may tell you that warranty covers so-and-so, but that's not the point. You don't want to have to buy a defective product in the first place. If you want to be doubly sure, you could take a good mechanic with you for the inspection.

All the best.
reverse_gear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2015, 13:51   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
Excise duty is paid when the car leaves the factory gates. So ideally for a car that was built in August 2014, lower excise would have been paid. But, most dealers don't do that and say price at time of delivery is valid. Noticed this today at a Honda dealership. They were adamant on charging new prices for 2014 cars too and were giving a paltry discount which is lesser than the excise hike! Double whammy for the customer
No discounts effectively and an older car!
Yes, I have been able to convince the SA to not pull wool over my eyes, and use the old pricing for the purchase. The discount he is now quoting has gone down to 70k though. I am standing firm on getting more discount as of now and we are having a bit of a mental dual about this. He is going to come back with his final offer soon.

Quote:
I have no idea why a Aug manufactured vehicle should come to the dealer 5 months late, unless it is an unsold car or test drive return. Please do speak to a senior salesperson or the head of the dealership and ask him to come clean. Should not happen for CKD cars.
From my latest discussion this morning, the SA is insisting the spares were received in August 2014, and the assembly actually happened in November 2014 and they actually received the car at the dealership in January 2015. Hardly believable!

Quote:
Re. the condition of the vehicle, please insist on a full inspection, both interior and exterior. Look for signs of wear and tear, scratches, spots, etc. Examine the seats for signs that they have been used. Are the original plastic covers still there? Usually beige leatherette will show signs of usage (fading sheen, faint dust residue). Do a thorough inspection under the hood. Rats can chew on any of the wiring or on rubber/Polymer pipes like the windscreen wash fluid pipe. But it may not be obvious. I am sure they will clean it before showing you so you may not see any rat droppings even if they were there. Run the car for a drive. You can tell the stiffness of a new car from the relatively easier feel of a used car - clutch, brakes, gear all have a different feel in a new car. Do switch on and try all of the buttons, controls and electrical fittings. Absolutely ALL of them. SA may tell you that warranty covers so-and-so, but that's not the point. You don't want to have to buy a defective product in the first place. If you want to be doubly sure, you could take a good mechanic with you for the inspection.
Yes I will do a thorough inspection, not sure if they will allow a mechanic to inspect the car but I will try.

On a separate note, I have actually decided to get the Blaupunkt unit installed, as knowing myself, I will probably never get to the HU upgrade once I start driving the car. Also I am not entirely sure what the deal will be on the warranty if I get the upgrade from the after-market. The HU unit may be installed without any wire cutting, not sure about the speakers, inputs?

The SA has quoted 2.5k for the additional speakers at the rear, anyone knows what brand of speakers they install, and do we have a choice of providing better speakers? Also is it possible to get a amplifier installed in the comfortline variant?

Also, I have been speaking to some tyre shops closeby, and the best offer I have got for the buyback on the stock Goodyears as of now is 700 Rs per tyre. At this rate, I will probably just keep the goodyears, run them in till they start being really noisy and then change the tyres.

Can members please indicate if I am getting a raw deal on the tyre buyback, and also indicate the kind of deals they got?
Old 11th February 2015, 14:35   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I have been able to convince the SA to not pull wool over my eyes, and use the old pricing for the purchase. The discount he is now quoting has gone down to 70k though. I am standing firm on getting more discount as of now and we are having a bit of a mental dual about this. He is going to come back with his final offer soon.

Also, I have been speaking to some tyre shops closeby, and the best offer I have got for the buyback on the stock Goodyears as of now is 700 Rs per tyre. At this rate, I will probably just keep the goodyears, run them in till they start being really noisy and then change the tyres.

Can members please indicate if I am getting a raw deal on the tyre buyback, and also indicate the kind of deals they got?
Staying firm would surely make them offer more discounts. Plus the facelift is launching on the 17th February. That should pressurize them for more discounts.

Is there a typo in the tire buyback price?? Rs. 700 is ridiculously low and i think you didn't tell him that the tires are brand new! You should be able to swap all 4 tyres to Michelins or Yokohamas by paying an additional amount of 10k-12k in total depending on your negotiating skills. Go to a bigger shop in case smaller tire shop guys do not want to buyback your tires. Tires fetch the maximum value when they have been run for less than 100-150 kms.
Old 11th February 2015, 15:12   #162
Senior - BHPian

I'm with aman on this. ₹700 per tyre is hilarious. Offer him ₹1000 to get you a set of 4 good years in similar condition and watch him shut up.

I got about ₹3000 per tyre, give or take, when I got them exchanged last year. I bought 5 pirellis in exchange for ₹5000 apiece, approx. The tyre guy is offering you a raw deal, tell him the tyres are being driven to him straight from the showroom.
Old 11th February 2015, 16:42   #163
BHPian

100% agree with the above 2. Rs. 700/tyre is like daylight robbery. I paid around 2300 or so per tyre for Pirellis after exchange.

On the excise thingy, I guess you need to be sure where the incidence of excise is, on date of manufacture or on date of leaving the company gates.

The TSi was in short supply to start with. Secondly, the last batch to be produced was in August 2014 for the previous model. Basically what I am trying to say is, take your total on road price. If you can manage a 1.5-2 lacs discount on this just go ahead with the deal. Add your NCB from insurance on top of this and it will be a worthwhile deal.

Finally, my two cents on your audio upgrade..Dont. The Philadelphia looks like something from the early 2000's. The GUI is just not nice and also is a bit slow and laggy. Dont bother with it, thats my personal feeling.

Adding two speakers to the rear is definitely a great idea though. While getting this done, please check if the wiring is already there in the rear doors or not. This will make it easier for the rest of us who want to do this upgrade.

Last edited by mav2000 : 11th February 2015 at 17:11.
Old 11th February 2015, 20:33   #164
Team-BHP Support

If 700 is not a typo, then you should try another dealer. I got 4000 per tyre for the Good Year tyres.
Old 12th February 2015, 02:00   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Staying firm would surely make them offer more discounts. Plus the facelift is launching on the 17th February. That should pressurize them for more discounts.
Agreed, he has not come back with a final word yet.

Quote:
Is there a typo in the tire buyback price?? Rs. 700 is ridiculously low and i think you didn't tell him that the tires are brand new! You should be able to swap all 4 tyres to Michelins or Yokohamas by paying an additional amount of 10k-12k in total depending on your negotiating skills. Go to a bigger shop in case smaller tire shop guys do not want to buyback your tires. Tires fetch the maximum value when they have been run for less than 100-150 kms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I'm with aman on this. ₹700 per tyre is hilarious. Offer him ₹1000 to get you a set of 4 good years in similar condition and watch him shut up.

I got about ₹3000 per tyre, give or take, when I got them exchanged last year. I bought 5 pirellis in exchange for ₹5000 apiece, approx. The tyre guy is offering you a raw deal, tell him the tyres are being driven to him straight from the showroom.
Quote:
100% agree with the above 2. Rs. 700/tyre is like daylight robbery. I paid around 2300 or so per tyre for Pirellis after exchange.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
If 700 is not a typo, then you should try another dealer. I got 4000 per tyre for the Good Year tyres.
Thanks for all your inputs on this folks. On further discussions with the wife, we have decided to go with the stock tyres for the moment. Reasons being my annual running is something around the 6-7k mark, so the tyres will probably serve me sufficiently well for a good part of 2 years. Also I am a fairly safe driver on the highways with not going above 90-100 kmph (this may change with the Jetta), so again may not notice the noise for sometime to come. Lastly, I have not seen any feedback on the forum with regard to the ride and handling of these tyres, which makes me feel I am not compromising on safety and stability in anyway. Are there members on the forum who did not do this and came back thinking they did the right thing, at least for the short term?

Quote:
The TSi was in short supply to start with. Secondly, the last batch to be produced was in August 2014 for the previous model. Basically what I am trying to say is, take your total on road price. If you can manage a 1.5-2 lacs discount on this just go ahead with the deal. Add your NCB from insurance on top of this and it will be a worthwhile deal.
Well, the latest he is quoting is around 1.2 l off on the with-excise price but only 70k off the pre-excise price (40k cash discount + 30k exchange bonus). This is not exciting me enough at the moment, so I will wait to see what he says tomorrow. However, the fact remains, I need the Jetta and I need it quick to go on all those trips we have planned, but are pending for lack of a safe car.

Quote:
Finally, my two cents on your audio upgrade..Dont. The Philadelphia looks like something from the early 2000's. The GUI is just not nice and also is a bit slow and laggy. Dont bother with it, thats my personal feeling.

Adding two speakers to the rear is definitely a great idea though. While getting this done, please check if the wiring is already there in the rear doors or not. This will make it easier for the rest of us who want to do this upgrade.
Well, the folks told me the only option to get the extra speakers from them, would be to opt for a HU upgrade. If I do not get it done now, what are my options?

I am not really a DIY expert on this so it will be really hard for me to tell on my own, even when I have the car if the wiring is already there.

Can someone from Pune point me to a garage which can help me get an upgrade to the RCD510 system for example, with extra speakers in the rear as well? This is becoming a really contentious point, with no workable solution in sight.

Thanks for your invaluable inputs so far forum!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks