View Poll Results: Your choice?
Audi A3 85 21.68%
Skoda Octavia 164 41.84%
VW Jetta 143 36.48%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2014, 19:00   #76
BHPian

Re: Audi A3 versus VW Jetta / Skoda Octavia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowbane View Post
Good choice, but before you put your money down, do enquire if there are any Passats still lying around in their stockyard or if they can procure one from somewhere else, you might get it for a steal! If you do manage to get one, you'd have nailed the A3 v Octavia v Jetta debate.
I did incidentally ask for Passat but there doesnt seem to be any. I think they stopped production awhile ago hence must have cleared the stock by now. They said new Passat expected in 2015
Old 18th August 2014, 20:41   #77
Senior - BHPian

Audi A3 versus VW Jetta / Skoda Octavia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Can anyone shed more light on this please? I haven't driven either.

In terms of engine performance and speed, is their really such a wide difference between the Skoda and the Jetta that the latter feels slow? If this is true, then my vote would go to the Octavia. If the difference is nominal, I'd pick the Jetta
It isn't a wide difference, but it is a noticeable difference. On account of being heavier, the Jetta feels slower, but it is not slow by any means. The MQB cars feel like they can be thrown around a bit more and are marginally faster, but there's no gulf in performance between the two platforms.

Last edited by iliketurtles : 18th August 2014 at 20:42.
Old 18th August 2014, 21:25   #78
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudden123 View Post
Hi. can you clarify which car are you referring as 2.0 CL?
I think he is referring to Jetta Comfortline 2.0 TDI
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 09:01   #79
BHPian

Yes, the 2.0 TDI Comfortline

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I think he is referring to Jetta Comfortline 2.0 TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudden123 View Post
Hi. can you clarify which car are you referring as 2.0 CL?
Old 19th August 2014, 11:31   #80
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
1. Laugh at the 21.5L Jetta HL
I'll smirk at the Comfortline whilst in my Highline while:

I listen to the 8 speaker stereo which really needs no modifications.
Use the front parking sensors to maneuver out of a tight spot
Use the electric air pumps in my seat to align the lumbar support to my spine
Admire the zazzy wheels
See the road light up with the Xenons (If I have bout my car 18 months later!)
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2014, 12:15   #81
BHPian

With the Audi the brand name seems to be affecting all including the price. I wonder how expensive the "after sales service" would be. My guess is expensive since Audi is a luxury car brand which only the rich can afford.
I wonder what is VW group's strategy here. They are trying to get the better of Merc and BMW in the lower segment where the A series and the 1 series are hatches and these people have come out with a sedan. We will see how that plays out.
In my case I am looking at a change in the next couple of years. However I cannot afford an A3 but maybe pushing it I might for a Jetta (Assuming by then that my current Vento and the then existing Jetta would not look the same)
Old 19th August 2014, 17:22   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I'll smirk at the Comfortline whilst in my Highline while:

I listen to the 8 speaker stereo which really needs no modifications.
Use the front parking sensors to maneuver out of a tight spot
Use the electric air pumps in my seat to align the lumbar support to my spine
Admire the zazzy wheels
See the road light up with the Xenons (If I have bout my car 18 months later!)
But Sr. is HL worth a 2.x lakh premium over the CL?
Yes, it has to contend with a plain audio with 6 speakers but can upgrade to an mp4 player
CL has the front parking sensors too (& the ACC)
Electric seat adjustment - I'm (like you are) the designated driver so set it once for life'na, also isn't lesser electricals = lesser problems?
Yes, I get to admire your HL wheels while you get to stare at mine... LOL
Xenons - Painful during the rains... but also need to be more careful with those expensive ones - you do know how close I tail!

I only wish the CL came with DSG!
Old 19th August 2014, 20:14   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
But Sr. is HL worth a 2.x lakh premium over the CL?
Yes, it has to contend with a plain audio with 6 speakers but can upgrade to an mp4 player
CL has the front parking sensors too (& the ACC)
Electric seat adjustment - I'm (like you are) the designated driver so set it once for life'na, also isn't lesser electricals = lesser problems?
Yes, I get to admire your HL wheels while you get to stare at mine... LOL
Xenons - Painful during the rains... but also need to be more careful with those expensive ones - you do know how close I tail!

I only wish the CL came with DSG!
For me, it was only 1 Lakh as I did not have the xenons (50k at least), oh and I also keep my family safe with 8 airbags
Old 19th August 2014, 22:01   #84
Senior - BHPian

God forbid you want to use the 8 Airbags...Best case no air bags are ever used and you are safe in that metal cabin forever.

After seeing this discussion taking a route of CL vs HL my best two cents to feel happy about an old car.

Then the MKV CL owners will happily smirk at both the HL and CL of MK6. Except the electronic front seats, the rest all seem to be standard in the old CL.

8 Airbags - Check
8 Speakers - Check
Better material interiors - Check
Better arm rest - Check

Hehe.. Sorry if it is off topic. Just wanted to feel good for my MKV and at that time we paid like 18L for this on road after all discounts makes it actually better value for money for some of us
Old 19th August 2014, 23:12   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
After seeing this discussion taking a route of CL vs HL my best two cents to feel happy about an old car.
I think there is much more interesting waiting for us in this thread. Look at the pole results, the Octavia which was otherwise performing like a dud during beginning of the pole is now marching towards winner's trophy. Its turning out really interesting.

Posting the current results for the future reference:

Audi A3 : 55
Skoda Octavia : 77
VW Jetta : 80
Old 20th August 2014, 01:00   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
There is NO replacement for the Badge. For me more than features, a satisfaction matters that comes from premium brands. When you step out of the Audi, and look back while locking your car, your heart will say " it was worth it, my car reads AUDI OOOO"
Crazy_Bean - I think you have hit the nail on the head! More than the material things a car has to offer, there are things beyond numbers. You cannot quantify the heads that turn when a Audi passes you by, nor can you measure the pride in stating that you own 'the four rings', that feeling sitting inside at a red light while people check out your prized possession. All this cannot be given a value and are attributes that give you sense of inner satisfaction about your choice.

Unfortunately for most Indians, it seems to always come down to VFM in everything they do and a 4L cheaper car seems a better choice even though it may have the worst sales/after sales service in the country. Its like that ad where the guy is buying a ship and asks "Deti kitna hai?".
deepakraina is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2014, 08:57   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
For me, it was only 1 Lakh as I did not have the xenons (50k at least), oh and I also keep my family safe with 8 airbags
I wouldn't have done anything different had I been in your shoes!
Old 20th August 2014, 09:13   #88
BANNED

Some facts (ACI):....................Skoda Octavia............Jetta

1. FE (City/Highway)...........12.5/17.2..............11.7/16.7
2. 0-100kmph ....................8.84 secs..............10.92secs
3. 0-120kmph.....................12.23 secs.............14.89secs
4. 0-140 kmph....................17.23secs..............21.30se cs
5. Power to weight............105.22 bhp/ton.........96.8 bhp/ton

The booking process for the Octavia has been made so so tight that even the topmost levels within Skoda cannot allot a car out of turn. The only way to get an Octavia early is if there is a cancellation at the dealership.
Old 20th August 2014, 11:02   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowbane View Post
Good choice, but before you put your money down, do enquire if there are any Passats still lying around in their stockyard or if they can procure one from somewhere else, you might get it for a steal! If you do manage to get one, you'd have nailed the A3 v Octavia v Jetta debate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
I think there is much more interesting waiting for us in this thread. Look at the pole results, the Octavia which was otherwise performing like a dud during beginning of the pole is now marching towards winner's trophy. Its turning out really interesting.

Posting the current results for the future reference:

Audi A3 : 55
Skoda Octavia : 77
VW Jetta : 80
The Skoda supporters seem the silent lot! Most comments are from Jetta supporters. We did have a few A3 comments.
Old 20th August 2014, 11:24   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakraina View Post
Crazy_Bean - I think you have hit the nail on the head! More than the material things a car has to offer, there are things beyond numbers. You cannot quantify the heads that turn when a Audi passes you by, nor can you measure the pride in stating that you own 'the four rings', that feeling sitting inside at a red light while people check out your prized possession. All this cannot be given a value and are attributes that give you sense of inner satisfaction about your choice.

Unfortunately for most Indians, it seems to always come down to VFM in everything they do and a 4L cheaper car seems a better choice even though it may have the worst sales/after sales service in the country. Its like that ad where the guy is buying a ship and asks "Deti kitna hai?".
Thanks deepakraina, The Indian auto market is skewed. The dynamics are so dynamic. Anyway, Team-Bhp members follow a very technical and holistic approach towards deciding what car to buy. I totally understand the point of views stated here and agree with most of them. The factors that we mentioned are more about personal beliefs that vary person to person. We think alike but many might not.
Your observations are bang on about the feel of being inside an Audi at a traffic light. According to me its not just that. The audi base would anyday be more luxurious on the inside than a top of the line jetta. I am not talking about comfort (not too sure about that) but being a premium brand, Audi's interiors would be very tastefully put together.

When I had to buy my car, Jetta Top vs Passat base was also a contention but According to me (and this is only me) the Jetta's interiors, although good and solid, are not tasteful. Jetta has a very utilitarian interior that does the job extremely well but falls short of the feelign special factor.
This brings me to another observation. To like a car, the first thing I need to say when I step in it for the first time is 'Nice'. Happened in the passat but not in the jetta. I dont like the interiors to grow on me with time, either its a "NICE" or "Meh!"

What I am trying to prove here is that on paper and in person are two very different things. I not trying to suggest a bad car here. Actually all cars in contention have proved their mettle. So now, forget 'on paper'. let your heart flow. Look past the specifications. You don't buy a car everyday
Crazy_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks