View Poll Results: Whats your pick?
Chevrolet Optra 1.6 19 76.00%
New Honda City 6 24.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2004, 15:47   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The 7.5 lac question - Chevy Optra 1.6 or New Honda City?

With identical pricing for equally equipped variants, the Chevy Optra (7.7 lacs) and the New Honda City (7.4 lacs) are vying for customers from one of the fastest growing segments. Which one would you buy?

Chevrolet Optra 1.6
  • Looks and Snob Value (same as 1.8)
  • Korean
  • A full size bigger - C+ segment car for C segment price
  • Much more spacious and comfortable interiors. Simply superb backseat
  • More Power, quicker and faster - 103 bhp vs 77 bhp for the NHC.
  • Ride comfort levels
  • Engine is refined but gear shift is rubbery and not as slick as the NHC

New Honda City
  • Its a Honda! Reliability, depth of engineering, life and sheer quality
  • Japanese!
  • Refined engine mated to an awesome gearbox
  • Surely more fuel efficient
  • Interiors are extremely well designed
  • Unbearable looks (for most)
  • Only 77 bhp!!

In addition, I would suggest a read of this BSMotoring Article

The first time in my life...but I am going to opt for Korea against Japan!

GTO
Old 23rd December 2004, 16:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

Both cars are very good in their own virtue , The Optra is very good looking while the NHC is plain ugly. There is nothing better than a Jap Honda engine, extremely refined with a super slick box but the Optra is more powerful and its actually a better engine than its older brother's 1.8 Holden powerplant even though the 1.6 ia a Daewoo.

Good interior in both the City and Optra its difficult to choose in that aspect. FE is def better in the Honda than the Chevy and Hondas service is also better then GM at the moment but GM throws in those warranties.

Now as far as my choice is concerned I would buy the Honda for the car that it is but those looks put me off and an Optra certainly exudes more class than the NHC when you have to say you have arrived.

I'm not a big fan of the Optra but its a better package overall. My vote goes for the Optra.

Dippy
Old 23rd December 2004, 16:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hmm... GTO opting for a Korean. Surely a certain Clarkson would love to have you for dinner... lol.

But you are right. For all the sheer engineering depth that the NHC possesses, the Optra beats it in terms of size for money. That thing is humongous on the inside (in C+ segment terms) It's got a relatively frugal engine, good power for city and highway use and totally great as a chauffeur driven car.

My choice. The chaebol's baby.

Revv
Old 23rd December 2004, 16:53   #4
Team-BHP Support

Read my second opinion on Rudra's Optra - Titan vs Tissot!
Old 23rd December 2004, 18:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Optra for me.! Reason is, I think it is very well priced, pretty powerful. So wat if its Korean...dont we eat bhelpuri on the beach sometimes...just forgetting that last time we had dinner in some good clean restuarant???
Wat I seriously feel is that with the Optra you get much more of a car than u get with the City. I wont blame its looks...the reason being...Honda have carefully designed which is why it has such a low coefficient of drag and etc.(i dont like the looks though). But seriously..i feel the City is a pretty boring car.
Old 23rd December 2004, 18:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

People have pretty much summed it up, and after a drive in Rudra's Optra, albeit a 1.8, it does everything you expect of it, and surprises you with what is an improved Korean car, with an American badge. The interior quality is top notch, I was pleasantly surprised. I have been around in the NHC and it doesn't come close with reference to interiors. The ride is fantastic, bumps are dismissed with a mere (insert expression for a soft sigh here). The space at the rear is great, seats are very comfortable, perfect for long distances. The car doesn't roll and pitch too much, it isn't a wallowy ride either. The car loooks heavy, but the ride complements it. There is a feeling of security which is very important to me. The Optra it is. My conscience won't leave me alone though, I just voted for a Korean!
Old 23rd December 2004, 20:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

The japansese machine wins. Korean/American machines are no match for the Japanese technology!!
Old 23rd December 2004, 20:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

its the optra for most of us,but the equation may change when the 110bhp NHC is launched.
Old 23rd December 2004, 21:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
its the optra for most of us,but the equation may change when the 110bhp NHC is launched.
Dude...i dont think the new Vtec City will be compared with the Optra 1.6..as it may well exceed the 7.5 lac range.
Old 23rd December 2004, 22:06   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos
Dude...i dont think the new Vtec City will be compared with the Optra 1.6..as it may well exceed the 7.5 lac range.

i am not talking abt the 1.6 or 1.5.i am talking about the optra and NHC car .
Old 24th December 2004, 00:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

hmm...this is tough both cars are classy on the inside ....honda boasting of a brand name unparalled and optra being the under-dog. the optra is much bigger than the city and rides better on the road ..while honda has the brand name ......

i go wid optra - a korean over a japanese and its no the first time this has happened !!
Old 24th December 2004, 00:21   #12
Team-BHP Support

It's the Optra for me too. It's substantially more powerful, handles decently, rides well, has good interiors and looks much better than the Honda. Nice warranty too.
Old 24th December 2004, 00:37   #13
Senior - BHPian

optra.......as they say the grass is greener on the other side! and i am currently on the nhc side!
Old 24th December 2004, 16:10   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

comparing nhc to optra 1.6 is just very unfair,i feel apart from fuel efficiency there is nothing better in nhc than optra1.6,ive driven both of them but the chevy(oops...daewoo)feels a lot better its like comparing a santro to a palio,the optra is punchy,the 1600cc engine feels more refined than the 1800cc cousin(sourced from holden,aus),and where the looks go how in the hell can u compare the ugliest car in the country to one of the best lookers in the segement,ever tried noticing optra's curves and tail lites its pure pleasure to eyes,and i hate that ugly duckling(must be good by heart),
Old 24th December 2004, 22:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

This is easy. Optra it is anyday. NHC looks more like 2 different cars bolted together to make one. NHC is the alien among cars today and come on if i spend over 7 lacs for a car, the least i expect is at least 100 bhp.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks