Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which has a better driving experience especially above 120 kmph+ and on Bad roads..
Hyundai Accent CRDi 2 4.44%
Mahindra Scorpio 2.2 mHawk 2 4.44%
Tata Safari 2.2 Dicor 18 40.00%
Mahindra Logan 3 6.67%
Ford Fiesta 1.4TDCi 8 17.78%
Hyundai Elantra CRDi.. 12 26.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2008, 21:57   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Beg to differ. My innova crosses 140 easily and gets to 150 easily enough. The car was rock steady at that speed.
errrr..... your Innova is Peted, isnt it? I have driven a stock diesel innova on the LnT bypass (coimbatore) and that felt likei it hit a brick wall after 140- and this car was just 7500 kms old...but it did feel more stable at that speed than a scorpio at 120
Old 12th February 2008, 21:59   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Sorry to hear that your Safari struggles to cross 140 Himanshu
to be honest, my safari has yet to see the other side of 120 since most times that I drive, my kid is in the car.

but I have driven , or been driven in a few other safaris (all 3.0 dicors) and have definitely felt that it starts to loose steam beyond 130. Sure, it will touch 150-155 on the speedo- but account for speedo error and the tru top speed of the safari is not more than 145 i guess. same for scorp and innova.
Old 12th February 2008, 22:09   #33
Senior - BHPian

I don't know about Safari/Scorpio but I know my friend told me he touched 165+ kmph speed in bangalore - tirupati road 2 years back.

If you ask me one should not go beyond 120kmph in any MPV/SUV on indian road even in expressway here. For Sedan its 140kmph. Anything beyond that is not worth as far as safety goes.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 13th February 2008, 08:37   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post

If you ask me one should not go beyond 120kmph in any MPV/SUV on indian road even in expressway here. For Sedan its 140kmph. Anything beyond that is not worth as far as safety goes.

Regards,

Ravi.
Hi ravi..while i agree with you..90%..the kick to go above 160 when desired is what i'm looking for..

My accent is great between 140-160 and kinda loses it at 170 where it peaks..but there are not many cars to overtake me while in that speed range..

What i need is a suitable replacement..which gives the sheer driving pleasure with the ability to face the ditch when it comes..unexpectedly..rather than stomping on the brakes.
Old 13th February 2008, 08:43   #35
Senior - BHPian

elantra.....elantra......elantra....since you love the hyundai, i dont think you need to look beyond the elantra crdi & a pete's box.
Old 13th February 2008, 10:01   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
but I have driven , or been driven in a few other safaris (all 3.0 dicors) and have definitely felt that it starts to loose steam beyond 130. Sure, it will touch 150-155 on the speedo- but account for speedo error and the tru top speed of the safari is not more than 145 i guess. same for scorp and innova.
I agree, 130 comes up quickly and smoothly and then on, it seems slow. Another factor affecting the ride and handling of the Safari is the load you carry. A fully loaded (4 people + luggage) Safari gives the best ride and handling / braking is more predictable. This is from experience over 28750 km on the 3.0 DiCOR

Had a friendly encounter with 2 Innovas on the Krishnagiri - BLR stretch on Friday night. Everybody played fair and there was no intentional blocking etc. The Innovas creamed me on the straights but it was a different story on the uphill sections.

For good roads, the Innova is probably a better bet but where the roads end, the Safari rules.

Last edited by dicorex4x4 : 13th February 2008 at 10:03.
Old 13th February 2008, 10:08   #37
Team-BHP Support

Headers, my vote goes for the Safari 2.2.
Considering the speeds you would be looking at, and also the requirement for space, hence my vote.
Old 13th February 2008, 10:22   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hi gd,
do we still get the 3.0 litre safari..??
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
No, not first hand atleast. Its been officially replaced by the 2.2
I'm not so sure about that, do check with the dealer; I've been seeing a few 3 liters which, based on their registration series appear to be the post-2.2 era. I'm not sure if they've been able to exhaust all their stocks so quick.

Quote:
Sure, it will touch 150-155 on the speedo- but account for speedo error and the tru top speed of the safari is not more than 145 i guess. same for scorp and innova.
I agree about the speedo error but speedo-indicated speeds are what we keep referring to here so.......anyway, I think a fair bit is also based on what kind of running-in the engine gets; in my personal experience, 140 comes up fairly easily but yes, it takes a little longer as it gets close to the 145-150 mark.

You are dead right about not crossing 120 with the family in the car - that's a conscious speed governor for me these days as well, even on the expressway

Last edited by suman : 13th February 2008 at 10:25.
Old 13th February 2008, 10:28   #39
Senior - BHPian

Headers If you need consistent top speeds you need Sedan rather SUV/MPV, so either Elantra or Cedia are best bets, even you can think about Corolla/civic.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 13th February 2008, 13:23   #40
Senior - BHPian

is the safari available now only with the 2.2l engine ? then why do some automagazines still show all the engine options...? i remember seing in autocar i think, the petrol, and all the 3 diesel engines in their last pages where they show the car specs...
Old 13th February 2008, 14:44   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Currently use a Hyundai Accent CRDi with 49K on the odo.. have a weekly drive of 800 kms predominantly highways with around 100 kms interspersed with bad village roads..

I need a vehicle which can do the following:

1. A similar driving pleasure or better than the accent crdi..especially in 140 to 170 range..
2. Good FE to keep my running costs down..
3. Good GC to help avoid the vehicle scrapping the body / front overhang / rear overhang etc..
4. Ability to carry 300 kgs loads in urgent situations..across 150 kms..

I do not like the Verna [sad looks] and was wondering about the new scorpio 2.2 mHawk.. as am not sure which other vehicle this side of 10 lakhs let me have fun..

Not too crazy after the Ford TDCis are they struggle after 120..

Howz the LOGAN..1.5 DCi.. handling etc etc..

Howz the Tata Safari 2.2 VTT dicor??

What i mean is how do these compare to the Accent in terms of FE, Ride quality, driver appeal and enjoyment, thrashability etc..

Any suggestions..

The optra magnum diesel fits the bill perfectly. the only issue could be the g.c. which can be increased by adding spacers. even a logan with a petes box would be enough to address your needs. i have used a logan for a couple of days & but for the oomph in terms of bhp it has everything that you need-excellent handling,roomy & comfortable interiors etc.i would suggest the base version which is available at much lower price than your specification & use the extra cash to give it the bells & whistles
Old 13th February 2008, 18:37   #42
Senior - BHPian

I've heard that some dealers still have some 3.0Ls stocked with them.

Quote:
Hi gd,
do we still get the 3.0 litre safari..??
Old 13th February 2008, 18:41   #43
Senior - BHPian

My decade old 2.0L 90 BHP TCIC engined Safari easily touches 120 on the highway and longs for more. On a 3.0L I'm sure I would touch 150+ easily..

Quote:
to be honest, my safari has yet to see the other side of 120 since most times that I drive, my kid is in the car.

Old 14th February 2008, 12:59   #44
Senior - BHPian

The Elantra CRDi..seemed a good bet..The Lancer Cedia..worries be about service backup and the FE..

The Innova seems another good choice..The problem with both Safari and the Scorp..io are the inability to do consistent high speeds..especially 150 on the highways..The accent excels in this with the engine running at a mere 3300 rpm in 5th gear..and returns a FE of 14.5 - 16..KPL..

I'm told the elantra may go off the market this year and is to be replaced by the i20..hence a no no to elantra..

The Corolla is a nice car..but hugely overpriced..a la Honda City / Civic / Accord..and all are petrol with single digit FEs..recently checked a Honda Civic..pretty decent driving comfort..but lacks the instant acceleration one looks for ! Good Shape..sexy..thats it nothing more..maybe a better top speed and a NICE WEIGHTED STEERING
Old 14th February 2008, 13:04   #45
Senior - BHPian

For your usage Diesel is the only option.

Options
Get an Elantra CRDI. Petefy it.
A well mainatined Lancer Diesel. We had one and its good.
Optra Diesel

Scorpio is not suitable for you considering the Fuel Efficiency. We are getting 10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks