Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2008, 01:46   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
I tend to agree with Rippergeo rather than Kdhanas. While the 0-100 figures may not be critical, but there is a practical implication.

A powerful car is sometimes a boon. It helps you do overtaking maneovres (especially on the highway, but often in the city, too), get away from a bad driver(s) and get out of tricky situations in a better manner. This I can relate out of my own experience.
I tend to disagree. Even though the Verna is more powerful, it isn't as easy to drive in the city as there is no power below 2000rpm.
Now one will have to downshift in order to access the power which costs time in the city because I doubt one will be driving at 2000rpm+ in the city.
The Fiesta is actually better in this aspect as it has more power lower down which helps its city drivability and thus in such a scenario. Infact, one of my friends was racing his Accord V6 in the city with a fiesta and the fiesta was as fast in the traffic, simply because of the way the power is delivered.
However, if one were driving more on the highways at higher RPMs, I would recommend the Verna but for city driving, nothing comes close to the Fiesta.
A true test of how a car would perform in city drives is by looking at the 20-80kph times and 40-100kph times and the Fiesta and Verna have posted near identical timings for both, with the fiesta being marginally faster in the 40-100. I feel that if one were looking for 20-60 instead, which is often the case in the city, the fiesta would win outright as the Verna is only able to catch up due to power generated in higher RPMs.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

@aks_karthik - I would suggest a Fiesta SXi, it is considerably cheaper and more FE, as well as easier to drive in the city and has better interiors IMO than the Verna's. I am sure the savings in the FE would more than make up for the marginally higher maintainance.
Old 27th July 2008, 14:27   #92
Senior - BHPian

yesterday i had a TD of both Petrol and Diesel Ford Fiesta Sxi
Diesel is very smooth and for city driving it's opt car to use with Good FE.
Petrol is Ok.I TD Petrol Fiesta S Variant too.Driving is Ok but the Steering is little bit tight cos of the larger profile tyres.
In Diesel variant,At 90Kms speed while turning i felt the car was little skidded.Problem might be in the tyre Air pressure.175/65/24 profile is not suited for this car.Though the driving is Good and we had 7 members in the car while TD .No Turbo lag and linear acceralation like petrol head is a boon.I travel largely in city and it's 70% City and 30% Highway.
so I decided for Ford Fiesta Sxi Diesel Platinum or MoonDust silver color.
may be tomorrow i'll book the car.
Old 27th July 2008, 17:42   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
I tend to disagree. Even though the Verna is more powerful, it isn't as easy to drive in the city as there is no power below 2000rpm.
Now one will have to downshift in order to access the power which costs time in the city because I doubt one will be driving at 2000rpm+ in the city.
The Fiesta is actually better in this aspect as it has more power lower down which helps its city drivability and thus in such a scenario. Infact, one of my friends was racing his Accord V6 in the city with a fiesta and the fiesta was as fast in the traffic, simply because of the way the power is delivered.
However, if one were driving more on the highways at higher RPMs, I would recommend the Verna but for city driving, nothing comes close to the Fiesta.
A true test of how a car would perform in city drives is by looking at the 20-80kph times and 40-100kph times and the Fiesta and Verna have posted near identical timings for both, with the fiesta being marginally faster in the 40-100. I feel that if one were looking for 20-60 instead, which is often the case in the city, the fiesta would win outright as the Verna is only able to catch up due to power generated in higher RPMs.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

@aks_karthik - I would suggest a Fiesta SXi, it is considerably cheaper and more FE, as well as easier to drive in the city and has better interiors IMO than the Verna's. I am sure the savings in the FE would more than make up for the marginally higher maintainance.
I agree with this view based on my own experience. I was once behind a diesel Fiesta at a red signal on Jubilee Hills, and when the signal turned green, I bore down on the throttle. I was taken aback to see that the diesel was giving my 1.6 sxi a tough fight, and I could manage to pass it only after 700 metres or so. It earned my respect on that day, as I never expected a diesel sedan to have such a good low end grunt.
On the highway however, it was not difficult for me to overtake a diesel Fiesta, especially at speeds over 100 kmph.
Compared to the diesel Verna, the diesel Fiesta gives you:-
1. Better low end grunt
2. Better mileage
3. Better handling and rock steady ride at high speeds (does not rock like a boat).
4. Excellent headlights (no need to upgrade like in the Verna).

On the contrary, the Verna gives you better power ,especially for highway driving. The back seat is also a tad more spacious, so if you are gonna have a chauffeur, this is a better bet.
But if you want a driver's car, then it is the Fiesta.

Last edited by vnabhi : 27th July 2008 at 17:48.
Old 27th July 2008, 18:02   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

@aks - congrats on the decision bro. I am sure you won't repent it.
Make sure to upgrade the tyres straight after buying the car. They will cost you 5K more after exchange but it will be well worth it. Get 185/60R14 or 195/60R14 tyres and be prepared to have a blast.
@vnabhi - The fiesta D is generally doing around 2500rpm in 5th at 100-110 so it runs out of grunt after that. It will still manage a 170kmph but will take its time while doing so.
Old 27th July 2008, 19:01   #95
rippergeo

@Lamborghini
what gear would was the verna using for the 40-100?
if it was 3rd gear, I dont think any car sold below 10 lacs will be able to keep up.
do you have the numbers? what was the source?

but I do agree with you, the fiesta gives fantastic driveability.
verna is far behind.
street races do not deal with driveability. the verna is perfect for that purpose.
For karthik's requirements, the fiesta seems to be better.

about the 0-100 timings and their importance,
its just a measure of how fast a car can accelerate. it means you have the option of accelerating out of trouble. that is in addition to the option of braking to get out of trouble(which most cars have)

Last edited by rippergeo : 27th July 2008 at 19:04.

Old 28th July 2008, 00:01   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

@ripper -
That's exactly with what I meant. The fiesta is more usable in daily traffic and conditions. 40-100 was in 4th and 20-80 in 3rd. The source was ACI.
I think they both recorded 12.52 for the 20-80 and the fiesta was 16.37 for the 40-100 and the Verna is marginally slower but still in the 16 secs.
I believe these timings are a stretched version of what we need in our daily life, as in 20-60 in third as opposed to 20-80.
0-100 is more for the drag strip in which case the Verna can kick a lot of cars behind..
Old 28th July 2008, 21:59   #97
Senior - BHPian

Yes for city ride,Fiesta is good.
But the problem is,Ford People won't allow any extra things to be added in the car.
For Roots Windstone super Horn itself their pricing is Rs.2800
But we can buy it for 950 outside.
But Ford Service Advisor,If we install from outside then the warantty will be voided.
Like same for tyre upgradation and any electrical/electronics installation.
is it so friends.Please enlighten.
Old 28th July 2008, 22:36   #98
Senior - BHPian

Karthik , Yeah thats the problem the warranty does get void for external fittings. If you going for the Fiesta are you going for extended warranty?

P.S. : 1.6 TDCI is mostly coming since Ikon will get 1.4 TDCI in few months. But you are right it wont be anytime soon.
Old 28th July 2008, 23:00   #99
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Yes for city ride,Fiesta is good.
But the problem is,Ford People won't allow any extra things to be added in the car.
For Roots Windstone super Horn itself their pricing is Rs.2800
But we can buy it for 950 outside.
But Ford Service Advisor,If we install from outside then the warantty will be voided.
Like same for tyre upgradation and any electrical/electronics installation.
is it so friends.Please enlighten.
ford in cochin are very fussy about after market fitments.
but with hyundai(MGF) in cochin, I can get away with almost anything, they are a lot more flexible if the requests are reasonable.

Old 28th July 2008, 23:41   #100
Senior - BHPian

Well, my power window switches got fused when I installed sun film from a local vendor. But Mody Ford replaced the switch panel for free without any fuss. It costs Rs 2300 or so. But they verbally cautioned me not to go for after market fitments.
Old 29th July 2008, 17:52   #101
BHPian

AFAIK the warranty gets void if there are any cutting/splicing of electrical wires. If they are clip-on types with the Ford connectors, should not be a problem I guess.
Old 29th July 2008, 20:14   #102
Senior - BHPian

@Karthik- Kindly update us on your final choice.
Old 29th July 2008, 20:17   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanraheja View Post
@Karthik- Kindly update us on your final choice.
Yep, we are waiting with bated breath . This also happens to be my thousandth post in this forum cheers:
Old 30th July 2008, 09:37   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Yep, we are waiting with bated breath . This also happens to be my thousandth post in this forum cheers:

Hey congrats for your 1000th post.
May be i get the car by next week.
Awaiting car loan approval.Once i get it, i book the car and there's no waiting period.
Both colors(Platinum and MoonDust Silver) are readily available.
1 day for registration and next day i can take delivery
Old 30th July 2008, 10:12   #105
Senior - BHPian

Karthik , Congrats ! Hope you get thru this quicker . How much is the SXI costing you onroad?? Any freebies?

P.S. : Go for the Platinum
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks