Any others (please name) 24 14.04%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20th July 2011, 14:33   #286
evo

re: Suman's Final Dilemma : 320d or X1? EDIT : It's the X1

From a purely rational residual value perspective, the X1 is a better choice since its a "new" car while the 3 is being replaced in 6-8 months. So the X1 will hold residuals much better. In calcutta, 3 year old 3`s sell for 14-15L. And remember that these are the pre facelift, pre CE 3`s that were bought at 28-32 L OTR.

From another perspective the X1 is also less common than the 3. So if you are worried about exclusivity, then the X1.

Driving dynamics wise, the X1 and the 3 are almost at par. You can feel the difference in the 3 only at extreme corners.

However, from a purist point of view, the X1 is basically a 3 hatch on stilts. (And thats not a bad thing!)
Old 20th July 2011, 14:33   #287

With it's 193mm GC & fairly large boot, guess X1 should pick itself ahead of the 320d ?
Yup, that's what wife & I are thinking. Kids prefer the looks of the 3 series though (can't disagree with that), in fact my daughter pretty much mentioned what you'd said on FB about buying a "hatch"

If I had a small commute over black tarmac top with no bullying traffic around me, I'd go with the 320d anyday - but real life conditions seem to suggest the X1.

I intend to take another TD of both before I finalize . The funny thing is, I actually ripped the X1 (it had 1200 odd on the odo) over a rough, winding patch near our house & the back seat occupants didn't complain. But from what I'm hearing about jumping up & down etc etc, maybe I need to find a cobblestoned or dirt track this time around! I mean I know I cannot punish an X1 the way I treat the Safari but that's a given, isn't it?
Originally Posted by evo View Post
However, from a purist point of view, the X1 is basically a 3 hatch on stilts. (And thats not a bad thing!)
Thanks for your perspective, makes sense, and my daughter couldn't agree with you more on above!

Last edited by suman : 20th July 2011 at 14:36.
Old 20th July 2011, 14:45   #288

suman : Kids prefer the looks of the 3 series though (can't disagree with that), in fact my daughter pretty much mentioned what you'd said on FB about buying a "hatch"
Suman.da, pls convey to the young lady that I may have jumped the gun. While it does look small, more like a hatch - it is better equipped for our roads than the 320d. Speed breakers cant be wished away, and the only time we can prepare for these is when we buy the car.

suman : .. but real life conditions seem to suggest the X1.

I mean I know I cannot punish an X1 the way I treat the Safari but that's a given, isn't it?
You wouldnt be able to subject the 320d to what you did with the X1.

The other option is a Cruze or Vento for now, and much better SUV (than the Safari) down the line.
<< runs for cover >>
Old 20th July 2011, 14:49   #289

Parwath, the young lady has told me that I should buy whichever I prefer since I'm the one that's going to be driving it most of the time She realizes that its bigger than a hatch but she still doesn't like the X1's overall appearance. Only good thing is, both kids don't hate it as much as they hate the Yeti

The other option is a Cruze or Vento for now, and much better SUV (than the Safari) down the line.
<< runs for cover >>
Had thought of that as well - remember discussions around the Santa Fe & dishing out 28 lacs for a Hyundai (which sells in the US for around US$ 50k IIRC)? Can't think of any other "worth it" kinda premium SUV under 30 lacs!

Last edited by suman : 20th July 2011 at 14:52.
Old 20th July 2011, 14:59   #290

Originally Posted by suman View Post
Had thought of that as well - remember discussions around the Santa Fe & dishing out 28 lacs for a Hyundai (which sells in the US for around US$ 50k IIRC)? Can't think of any other "worth it" kinda premium SUV under 30 lacs!
Maybe Land Rover will reduce the prices sometime soon for the Freelander now that it will be a CKD.

Then you can get the Cruze now and wait for the LR.

This depends on which one is in better condition the Safari or the Fiesta.
Old 20th July 2011, 15:05   #291

Suman da, personally from how our gurgaon roads are, go for the X1.

From the looks of things, your mind seems to be made up. So let me be the first to congratulate you for your X1.
Old 20th July 2011, 17:50   #292

The X1 is a capable vehicle no doubt, and a fine choice.
But after reading vid's suggestion. I would go in for the CKD'ed Freelander 2.
Also Audi is planning to come out with the Q3.
Old 20th July 2011, 18:49   #293

Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
But after reading vid's suggestion. I would go in for the CKD'ed Freelander 2.
If I listen to Viddy, I'll still be "thinking" of alternatives a year from now .

I am told time & again that I've been viddified already, considering that this thread was started close to two years ago
Old 20th July 2011, 19:37   #294

Guys, I have no doubt the Superb, Laura & Passat are great cars but its just I'm not remotely interested in them at this point. I know that's neither logical, nor rational but....
I understand completely how you feel. But I suggested it because I think its the sensible thing to do. Forget the Superb, at least try the Passat.

Between the 320d and the X1, IMO the X1 is quite ugly. Also the interior doesn't feel as good as the 320d. Also the X1 CE does NOT have the Bimmer signature Corona Rings. And if you push you'll get a great discount with the 320d, heck why not push and see how low they come with the highline.
Old 20th July 2011, 20:33   #295

Charthom, I've waited anough mate, my family is on the verge of disowning me - can't take a chance any longer!
Not sure if family would appreciate the harsh ride of the BMW run flats. Greater risk of getting disowned!

And show off the trick of Park assist on the Passat-you become a magician and win accolades.

Apart from the "Arrived" factor-X1 and 320d are only for enthusiasts-and if your family is as enthusiastic as you, then, great. Otherwise I strongly suggest you buy a proper, comfortable sedan which is more of a great utility than an icon. In that range,my vote is only for Passat. I will not recommend a Skoda for a fellow BHPian.

However,since you have given us a choice between X1 and 320d-my choice would be X1 as I stated before-320d being face-lifted shortly.

In case opting the BMW,please do consider normal tubeless radials.I remember going though an excellent thread about changing the tyres on a BMW.

Last edited by charthom : 20th July 2011 at 20:50.
Old 20th July 2011, 20:50   #296

I was in the same dilemma as you, a while back. Deciding between the X1 and the 3, but I found both to be quite cramped and uncomfortable. The passat is much much better off. The only thing I felt that the beemer had over the passat was the maintanence plan.

I suggest u check out the Nissan X trail. It may not have the snob value of the others, but is one supremely comfortable and capable vehicle!
Old 20th July 2011, 21:10   #297

Suman, Congratulations on your decision(s)!

If road conditions on your daily commute are the deciding factor, then I think X1 is a better choice than the 320d.

If you are still deciding between the two, I will suggest to go by the merits you felt during the TD, and not to discount the 3 just because the new model is coming up next year. I feel once the new X3 and 3 hit our shores, the X1 will be the immediate next candidate for a mid-life facelift – which could be better interiors, maybe an 8-speed gear box, and even more engine variants.
Old 21st July 2011, 00:07   #298

Hi , Suman,

From the last 2 pages of the thread, all i see is a conversation over ground clearence.

With the stiff suspension of the germans you should have no problem with scraping the underbody unless you are used to jump over them with the safari.

The civic with a 170mm ground clearence is bound to scrape more than a german due to its lousy suspension.

So its not about numbers only from the spec sheet i mean,

I too booked a 320d white color on 30th june awaiting delivery from Deutsche motoren delhi at 25.62 OTR. expecting it by the 28th.

One drive of the 320d did it for me plus a discount of 2.5L made it cheaper than the passat and the X1 too,

What deal are you getting from Bird Auto. because they were just offering me 1.5 that to only on red, black and light blue.
Old 21st July 2011, 00:58   #299

Pure "heart"felt logic - does that make sense?
Since this is the driving factor, I'd suggest to continue applying 'heartfelt logic' to choose between the 3 / X1
Old 21st July 2011, 09:32   #300

If I listen to Viddy, I'll still be "thinking" of alternatives a year from now .

I am told time & again that I've been viddified already, considering that this thread was started close to two years ago
Bro, I understand your point. But Vid has been giving some great advice,
2 years is a very long time and i am sure that you just want to get it over with now.
In that case.
What other folks are pointing out, the passat is a worthy choice too.
Do not hit me, what about the Nissan Teanna?
Great discounts going on on the 3 series is what i have heard.
2-3 lakhs off can be had, same goes for the C class.
So what's it going to be?