Fiesta 1.6 S 37 21.64%
Cedia Sports 96 56.14%
Any others (please name) 24 14.04%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2011, 14:01   #181
Senior - BHPian

re: Suman's Choices & Dilemma : The Final Countdown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
North India, being the largest market for new cars, is also the largest for used cars. You will be spoilt for choice man.
Cant agree more .

@Suman Sir, a very few people have the kinda budget you have for cars (especially at one go), and most people (atleast Bhpians, blame GTO for fantastic pre-owned threads) try to make the most of the money they have.

For a budget of yours, fiesta, verna and new safari are not to be seen around, forget buying them, they will be good cars but certainly not the value for you. I'd again suggest, go for pre owned. A mix of japs and germans will do the job just perfect.

And for the warranty thing, get a car less than 2 year old, where mitsubishi has 1 year extended warranty, the Honda has 2 year extended warranty. Plus most of us here vouch for the Japanese reliability. So a pre-owned civic, accord, outlander, crv or Montero means you get heavy benefit of depreciation and more VFM along with fantastic reliability. With fortuner making its way in pre-owned market, resale of outy, crv and captiva is going for a toss. For a german 3, you have the BSI package to care of you. Why go the understated way with all that moolah for cars.

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 24th February 2011 at 14:16.
Old 24th February 2011, 14:46   #182
Senior - BHPian

Gaurav, it's a lot more difficult than it sounds

For the SUV, with my kind of running (in excess of 100 km a day), there's no way I would go for a Petrol. So, the Outlander is OUT & I have never liked the CRV.

Now, if you can point me to Sedans & Diesel SUVs out of the list that you have come up with that are still under warranty (original or extended) and which (together) would cost me less than my Budget, I would be happy to take a look. I can't see any, not even on Carwale
Old 24th February 2011, 22:53   #183
Team-BHP Support

If that new Verna has the EPS similar to i20 then forget it right now. The steering is the worst part in the i20.

I'm looking to see if it has EPS.
Old 27th February 2011, 10:49   #184
Senior - BHPian

As the debate continued over lunch yesterday, we decided to drop into the nearest Toyota dealership to check out the Etios (yes, yes, I know its eeewww but even then....). Reason for the Etios being considered was, in case we stretched the SUV Budget upwards or in case we decided not to get an SUV but buy a next segment sedan as the second car - then the Fiesta replacement could be a car that would get one from Point A to B in reasonable comfort & without much fuss.

So we decided that since we were going to a Toyota dealership, we may as well do a TD of the Fortuner. And, since there was a Skoda dealership next door, we'd try the Laura TSI.....and the Yeti! Sheesh, am I giving Viddy a run for his money or what

Etios: We TD'd the VX version. What all of us really freaked out over was the amount of space in the rear seat - the absence of a center hump made it easy for the person in the middle & the thin front seats liberated quite a lot of legroom. Rear seat space was actually the maximum, compared to all the sedans we'd checked out so far. The boot was like a cavern! Went for a spin & found the engine didn't like being redlined one bit - its a car to hand over to a chaffeur, I would definitely not be driving it on weekends with that kinda anemic response! The ORVM manual adjustment was a pain, the digital trip meter was difficult to read & I didn't get a very solid feel about the car. The deal breaker was the lack of a driver's seat height adjustment as both my daughter & wife found visibility to be an issue (they couldn't see comfortably till the end of the bonnet). And, my son felt that it looked like a Box on wheels. Eventual verdict was - "Nope, not the one for us"

Fortuner: The first thing that irritated me was that my knees got entangled with the steering while climbing on! Anyway, climbed in & set off. Awesome road presence & great visibility. Super engine with great response. But I didn't like the braking. This was a vehicle with 28k kms on the odo & I think it was a post-brake-upgrade speicmen. But each time I encountered a car or bike & braked, it was a spongy kind of response - it slowed but was a last minute kind of feel. Equipment levels, as everyone knows already, are pathetic. No DVD player or screens, not even an Auxiliary or USB! In this day & age, what does it take for heaven's sake! As far as the middle bench was concerned - it was given a 7/10 by the occupants (Safari being a 10/10). The kids felt that it was bearable, under thigh ssupport was OK but that's where the Safari really scored. Backrest was decent. Mileage would be 2kmpl less than the Safari. Is it worth paying 22+ on road? - Dunno, seriously dunno!!

Laura TSI: What can I say about this? An absolute hoot to drive! And that's about it. Cramped rear legroom & very unfriendly rear seats, quite hard. Rejected by the family.

I must confess that I had thought of TD-ing the Yeti as well but when I actually saw it, I just couldn't bring myself to even sit in it. Absolutely zero road-presence & cannot imagine spending that kind of money on it. Family rejected it outright.

So, at this point in time, not sure where this is headed. If I have to rake out big bucks on the SUV side, then the sedan budget has to be kept as much under 10 as possible. Looks like it may head the new Fiesta way! What's next on the TD list?

Grand Vitara?
Endeavour? (we know what a lousy ride it has but just want to refresh our memory one more time )

Last edited by suman : 27th February 2011 at 10:54.
Old 27th February 2011, 17:12   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
What's next on the TD list?
Grand Vitara?
Endeavour? (we know what a lousy ride it has but just want to refresh our memory one more time )
Why not another Safari, finally? The 2.2 DiCOR 4x4 would be a change from your 3.0 DiCOR, and FE would go up by another 2 km/l. Plus the Cruze, which you do accept that you enjoyed.
Old 27th February 2011, 19:02   #186
Senior - BHPian

Nope Doc, not the 2.2 in its present avatar. Maybe I'd reconsider if the Merlin was launched soon but as of now, that doesn't seem likely.

Heck, I'm even wondering if I should skip the SUV altogether & go for a second sedan - if so, maybe that's where the Cruze would fit in. But, every time I think of that horrible turbo lag in traffic, I kinda

Last edited by suman : 27th February 2011 at 19:03.
Old 1st March 2011, 00:09   #187
Senior - BHPian

Please find my replies in bold.

Quote:
Gaurav, it's a lot more difficult than it sounds

For the SUV, with my kind of running (in excess of 100 km a day), there's no way I would go for a Petrol. So, the Outlander is OUT & I have never liked the CRV.

May be you can use the swap the duties of the vehicles, with diesel sedan doing the every day run and the petrol SUV for the occasional use. For that sake, even you daughter can drive it. Believe me, gals love driving Outy, crv, captiva kinda vehicles.
I have a friend who swear by her CRV all the time.

Now, if you can point me to Sedans & Diesel SUVs out of the list that you have come up with that are still under warranty (original or extended) and which (together) would cost me less than my Budget.

Unfortuntely, only captiva comes in a diesel trim and the resale if not good isnt bad either. A diesel sedan (cruze, vento, fiesta) and a petrol SUV (outy, captiva) can make a practical and drool garage.

I would be happy to take a look. I can't see any, not even on Carwale

Gimmi some time, if not anything else, I have asked for a with a year old cedia (2010 mid or end) with few k kms for about 6.5ish. Will let you know if something comes up. This will leave you with some decent money for SUV, an X1 may be after EU and India signs agreement. In btw, are you ok with DL number?

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 1st March 2011 at 00:17.
Old 1st March 2011, 06:18   #188
BANNED

I think you really need to alteast test drive the Linea T-Jet even though you have problem with the insides. That car is purpose built for your usage.
Old 1st March 2011, 10:13   #189
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Gaurav, I'm fine with a DL number

Akhilesh, even if I were to forget everything else, the Linea has poor legroom at the back & is very uncomfortable with anything more than two people on the rear bench.

Last edited by suman : 1st March 2011 at 10:15.
Old 1st March 2011, 12:16   #190
Senior - BHPian

Suman,

My recommendation would be to replace the fiesta with a 7 seater ( 2nd row bucket seats ) pre-owned Innova and do it up with the AGM body kit. It is very understated, stands out in a crowd and has all the toyota reliability you will need.. pictures here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...acelift-3.html

If this idea feels like yuck! then vento all the way..

Wait for the Merlin/ W201 etc., and decide on the SUV replacement..
Old 1st March 2011, 12:22   #191
BANNED

Quote:
Heck, I'm even wondering if I should skip the SUV altogether & go for a second sedan - if so, maybe that's where the Cruze would fit in. But, every time I think of that horrible turbo lag in traffic, I kinda
If you enjoyed driving the Laura and wanted more space/comfort at the rear, why not the Superb and give up the SUV for the moment?

Coming to SUVs now, I would NEVER recommend the Endy for a Safari owner knowing its horrible comfort in the middle and last rows. The Fortuner is the only sensible option if you want a a low range 4wd, else it is the Captiva IMO.
Old 1st March 2011, 13:32   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
If you enjoyed driving the Laura and wanted more space/comfort at the rear, why not the Superb and give up the SUV for the moment?
Nah, no Skodas at the moment (sigghhhh) - and the Superb is way over my Budget

Quote:
Coming to SUVs now, I would NEVER recommend the Endy for a Safari owner knowing its horrible comfort in the middle and last rows. The Fortuner is the only sensible option if you want a a low range 4wd,
Agree 100% but its that freakin price that drives me up the wall each time I think about it! Oh & the other thing I didn't mention was that its still a 5 month waiting period for all colors other than white. For White, its 7 months! Didn't someone say on another thread that Fortuners are now available (almost) off the shelf????
Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
If this idea feels like yuck! then vento all the way..
And that's another one with a 6 month waiting period

Last edited by suman : 1st March 2011 at 13:34.
Old 1st March 2011, 13:44   #193
BANNED

Quote:
Agree 100% but its that freakin price that drives me up the wall each time I think about it! Oh & the other thing I didn't mention was that its still a 5 month waiting period for all colors other than white. For White, its 7 months! Didn't someone say on another thread that Fortuners are now available (almost) off the shelf????
Well, frankly, I too feel that it is overpriced by around 20% but then, it rules the roost for its robustness and trouble-free longevity.

I m surprised you mention waiting periods again. I have gotten calls from Bangalore Toyota dealers confirming delivery of white Fortuners in 1-1.5 months during last week. Did you check with the Toyota helpline directly and with multiple dealers?

Why not a dekho at the Captiva? Do you want a 4wd low range mandatorily?
Old 1st March 2011, 14:15   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did you check with the Toyota helpline directly and with multiple dealers?
Nope, haven't done that yet
Quote:
Why not a dekho at the Captiva? Do you want a 4wd low range mandatorily?
Dunno why but the Captiva doesn't press the right buttons for me. And, since this ain't going to be a frequent purchase, may as well retain the 4L factor.
Old 1st March 2011, 15:43   #195
Team-BHP Support

Suman - Im going to be the odd one out. But I recommend you just TD the Yeti. Force yourself to TD it. It may just surprise you. I loved it when I drove it and felt the only thing missing was an A/T. IMO its the best all rounder there is today around that budget. Its compact enough for the city, its got a powerful engine, almost sedan like to drive, loaded to the gills with features, and its got an offroad mode. Its compactness can also be a negative though, if the space of a true SUV is needed.

Take a spin in it. And also do wait a couple of months, there are many new launches which will be interesting like the Verna and the Passat.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks