Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2010, 12:30   #1
BHPian

Cedia or ANHC or just settle for the SX4?

Hi folks,

I started researching on a Sedan to buy sometime last month and with the following constraints:
a) Budget: A budget of around 10 lakhs
b) Petrol: My running will be around 700-800 kms a month and I was never really a fan of diesels
c) Usage: The car usage will be mostly in the city with maybe 2 weekend drives per month on highways.
d) Performance: The car should have a strong highway performance (I am a pretty enthusiastic driver) and at the same time not be a laggard in stop-go city traffic. I am looking at something that has a decent throughput at 1000-1500 rpm (for the city) as well as strong 3000+ rpm performance
e) Drivabilty: I think the previous point covers this to an extent. I am looking at a good 20-80 time in the 3rd gear and a strong 40-100 time in the 4th.
f) Handling: Many of my highway sojourns will be to hill stations and usually will entail a lot of curving/winding roads. So I need a car that can corner really well even at 100+ speeds (not that I plan to do a 100 in corners, but if I miss-judge a corner the car shouldn't understeer and through me off the cliff ) Also, a good handler is boon in a city like Bangalore.
g) Comfort: The car will be mostly driven by me and around 80% of the time will have just one co-passenger at the max; so the rear seat comfort/legroom is not much of an issue. The front seats should have ample lumber support and the driver's seat should be adjustable enough to get to a position that can be held comfortably for a 8-9 hour drive at least.
h) Safety: ABS, Airbags must. EBD would be good.
i) Resale: Resale value is NOT a criteria. I will not be selling the car for the next 7-8 years and frankly do not want to buy to sell!
j) After sales service: Having had two marutis so far, I am pampered. But I just need them to the basics right: come and collect the car on time, do exactly what needs to be done and get it back to me in time. It is good if the spare parts are cheap but this is not a make or break criteria for me.
k) Looks: Who doesn't love a car that makes you drool!

I looked at these cars:
a) Fiesta: There are rumors of a new model coming out soon and based on the pics I have seen of this new model, it doesn't look anything like the present version: Don't want to end up with an outdated version a year into my ownership.
b) Verna: The diesel is stupendous! But I am looking at a petrol car and the petrol Verna is a poor poor cousin of the diesel Verna in terms of performance.
c) Linea: In my opinion the best looking car in my budget but has an engine that wouldn't even make a hatchback proud. Plus, I also heard about a lot of niggles post purchase.
d) ANHC: Not a fan of the 'I am a Beemer's son' looks but overall an excellent car: drives well,handles pretty decently, has under-sized tires but that can be rectified and is a Honda!
e) SX4: This has almost everything that the ANHC has (except the Honda badge) at a lower price! Yes, the in-line gear acceleration is slow and requires you to shift constantly but that kind of suits my driving style as well. And you can plonk 18 inchers (maybe even 19'?) on her!

As you can see I was almost decided on the SX4 and thought it was a matter of when I book it rather than if. Then, I happened to go through a Comparison thread for sedans on the forums and noticed the Cedia doing really well there. Decided to give it a test drive just to check it out.
Did that test drive the day before yesterday: I am blown away! The car handles like a dream, performs just to my liking and meets my expectations in just about everything. The only catch: it's 2 lakhs costlier.

Having driven the Cedia I am totally disinclined to go ahead and book the SX4 or even the ANHC. But the 2 lakhs premium will be quite a stretch from my initial budget. I am willing to stretch it but want to be absolutely sure that its totally worth it and here is where I need guidance from you people!

Should I or should I not go for the Cedia?

PS: I will post my test drive experiences in a separate forum.
PPS: The Cedia is 11,87,000 on road Bangalore + 15,000 discount + 8,500 worth accessories free + 2,500 worth extra foot mats.
Old 27th May 2010, 13:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

If you are already sold on SX4, here are couple of things it scores over ANHC:

-Good GC, which is a bit an issue with the ANHC
-Automatic Climate control
Old 27th May 2010, 13:28   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
If you are already sold on SX4, here are couple of things it scores over ANHC:

-Good GC, which is a bit an issue with the ANHC
-Automatic Climate control
Yes I do think SX4 will be a better choice for me over the ANHC but my quandary really is whether to go for the Cedia over the SX4 or not?
Old 27th May 2010, 13:42   #4
BHPian

If you want a driver's car, just get the Cedia Sports. BUT, if you're unable to stretch, get the SX4 over the ANHC. IMO the ANHC is overpriced.
Old 27th May 2010, 13:55   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_chn View Post
If you want a driver's car, just get the Cedia Sports. BUT, if you're unable to stretch, get the SX4 over the ANHC. IMO the ANHC is overpriced.
exactly my opinion: ANHC is a good car but 75,000 overpriced at the least. My worry with the Cedia is that it seems to be too good a car to have sold soo few units in all these years! Is there some problem that I can not see or do not know of or is it purely pathetic marketing by HM?
Old 27th May 2010, 14:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

If you can stretch, get the Cedia else stick to SX4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_chn View Post
Old 27th May 2010, 14:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

It has to be the Mitsubishi Cedia or the Ford Fiesta !

Actually the Cedia makes perfect sense for you looking at the list you have placed. Just go for it. It is a super car - strong performance, good handling and nice space on the inside. It's just the front look that I find a bit odd.

Haggle a bit more - you will get more discounts. The Cedia is not exactly setting the charts on fire.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 27th May 2010 at 14:13.
Old 27th May 2010, 14:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

niranjan, your budget is still 10 right? Go ahead and get the Cedia. An SX4 will never satisfy you after driving a Cedia. The depreciation disaster should not affect you too much as well as you plan to keep the car for 7/8 years. A Cedia's interiors will last 8 years, but I highly doubt if an SX4's interiors will.

Are you sure Mitsubishi is not offering more discounts? Get in touch with RajaTaurus. I remember him saying the Cedia could be had for 10 OTR. Close to 12 sounds rather high even after taking Bangalore's road tax into account.

Last edited by Gilead : 27th May 2010 at 14:13.
Old 27th May 2010, 14:13   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post

If you can stretch, get the Cedia else stick to SX4
Rather than stretching till Cedia i.e. at 12lacs, I would suggest go for SX4. In highways it handles well and if so very needed go with better rubber (I mean change over from JK to something else).
I have driven over 15k kms in past 1year, except for the noise that JK tyres make, everything else is so good.

If you want that snob value and much higher straight line speeds(195kmph, however SX4 makes 185kmph) you can land up with Honda City.
Old 27th May 2010, 14:44   #10
BHPian

Niranjan,

Now that you have test-driven a Cedia and the SX4, I am sure you have seen the difference in quality, fit and finish, and in performance too. IMHO, Cedia fares better in all these departments and is value for money even at its current price.

After owning a Cedia for 3 years, I have enjoyed every moment with my car and it saved my life last month when i had a major crash. I came out scratch less.

I can say that it still is my first choice among the sub 12 lakh cars out there.
Old 27th May 2010, 14:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

Honda definitely scores way over the other two in temrs of quality and reliability and life as well. But this does not mean that the other two are bad.

If all you want is brand value, recongition, some exculsivity, and not bothered about ACC, then go in for the ANHC. It is a Honda at the end of it, Period.

The only downsight is the steep price, which would make sense if it is a notch lower and surprising that there is no ACC for a car at that cost.

SX4, definitely scores on high GC, has the Maruti Service network, but then again you dont expect to be e frequent visitor do you.

Sadly, the Cedia has suffered at the hands of HM and has not at all been marketed properly. I just never understood the synergy, as to why an awesome company is deciding to get screwed by HMs death grip.

My two cents, would be to go in for the Honda City
Old 27th May 2010, 15:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

Going for Cedia is worth every penny. Purely my experience. My car is now 2 years and 8 months old. Absolute delight in driving. Haven't spent a penny on maintenance under the hood. Had done some paint touch up and denting works outside though. Even the six-monthly paid service cost is about Rs. 1,500 only.!
And if you go for ANHC, with all 'optional' items included, it could go even past Cedia's cost as those things come as standard fittings in Cedia.
That's what happened to me back in 2007. When I added up alloys, leather seat covers and some other accessories to NHC, it costed 9.65 Lacs OTR Price, while I got much more than in Cedia Spirit for just 9.3 Lacs OTR price.
Old 27th May 2010, 15:29   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
niranjan, your budget is still 10 right? Go ahead and get the Cedia. An SX4 will never satisfy you after driving a Cedia. The depreciation disaster should not affect you too much as well as you plan to keep the car for 7/8 years. A Cedia's interiors will last 8 years, but I highly doubt if an SX4's interiors will.

Are you sure Mitsubishi is not offering more discounts? Get in touch with RajaTaurus. I remember him saying the Cedia could be had for 10 OTR. Close to 12 sounds rather high even after taking Bangalore's road tax into account.
Gilead,
10 Lac OTR was an year ago price, before the Touch screen Kenwood and OZ wheels came in. I don't think you can get Sports version for 10 OTR. 11.87 what he is mentioning is the price. As you know, Mistu has One Ex-Show room price of 9.9 Lac for entire country.
Old 27th May 2010, 16:22   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Honda definitely scores way over the other two in temrs of quality and reliability and life as well. But this does not mean that the other two are bad.
I'd like to disagree here. Mitsubishi is as reliable and long lasting as a Honda. Quality, I can't comment on, as I haven't sat in the ANHC, but the Cedia's build quality is pretty good, and so are the quality of plastics used. I did read somewhere that the quality of plastics on the ANHC isn't that great.

I personally know of a Mitsubishi that has done 2.5 lac kms without a rebuild.

Last edited by rg_chn : 27th May 2010 at 16:24.
Old 27th May 2010, 16:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce
Having driven the Cedia I am totally disinclined to go ahead and book the SX4 or even the ANHC. But the 2 lakhs premium will be quite a stretch from my initial budget. I am willing to stretch it but want to be absolutely sure that its totally worth it and here is where I need guidance from you people!

Should I or should I not go for the Cedia?

PS: I will post my test drive experiences in a separate forum.
PPS: The Cedia is 11,87,000 on road Bangalore + 15,000 discount + 8,500 worth accessories free + 2,500 worth extra foot mats.
If you really want the Cedia and want the same car at a lower price, check out the sports basic. I believe it is priced @9.3L Ex Showroom. You get the same package with beige interiors, standard steering wheel in place of a MOMO one and no spoiler, rest everything is the same. Check the attachment.

Based on my purchase experience with HM/dealer for the Cedia in Dec. last year, you can get an years extended warranty worth 6500/- on top of whatever is offered. The cash discount @15k is OK for the basic but if negotiating for the sports you could get another 10K easy. In case the colour you have want is in dealer's stock or if it is standing ready at the factory that is another 5 to 10 K off on either model. Please do understand that I bought my car in Delhi and a 2009 model in December when people generally wait for the next years model.

BTW the next best thing is the Fiesta. Do yourself a favour and do not buy either the SX4(built to a price & it is like a milk van see the front door opening closely when sitting on the front seat) or the ANHC with it's shoddy underpinnings and boorish experience at service centers. I've driven both cars extensively on highways and tell you what, my Swift Zxi is a whole lot more fun.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf cedia sports basic.pdf (415.8 KB, 486 views)

Last edited by khoj : 27th May 2010 at 16:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks