Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2011, 11:46   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Looking for a new car - 15 lakh rupees OTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
With the India-Japan free trade agreement, most Jap car prices would be coming down soon. I suggest you wait for a bit and if Kizashi's prices drop a few lakhs, it would be well worth the price. Same goes without saying for Accord and Camry also
Hummm, this is interesting gshanky, are you sure this will impact price of Japs cars in India? Where can i read more about this? Just that i am not knowledgeable regarding this (And very excited as hell) hence the questions.
Old 21st February 2011, 12:39   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Hummm, this is interesting gshanky, are you sure this will impact price of Japs cars in India? Where can i read more about this? Just that i am not knowledgeable regarding this (And very excited as hell) hence the questions.
I dont really think the impact of this would be immediate. Maybe five years later, but as of now I dont see the prices of Jap cars coming down, however they might go northwards (not just Japs but all cars) based on the increased cost of raw material. I think there is a whole thread on this in the forum that could shed light on the impact.
Old 21st February 2011, 13:09   #33
BHPian

Having a Corolla in my garage has ensured 'peace of mind'- something high on your list. The Altis fits the bill perfectly. However, if you are considering the Safari, why not have a look at the Scorpio vlx refresh. Tyretronics, microhybrid, rain and light sensors, cruise control etc. make this a driver's delight. I have recently bought one in 4X4 mode and can't stop driving it.
Old 21st February 2011, 14:08   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_anurag View Post
Having a Corolla in my garage has ensured 'peace of mind'- something high on your list. The Altis fits the bill perfectly. However, if you are considering the Safari, why not have a look at the Scorpio vlx refresh. Tyretronics, microhybrid, rain and light sensors, cruise control etc. make this a driver's delight. I have recently bought one in 4X4 mode and can't stop driving it.
Yeah, Altis and Civic are the top of the list at the moment.

I did considered Safari but the initial QC issues have kind of switched me off, also looks like new and much-much better Safari is around the corner (At least as far as specs are concerned, i know some of my fellow Bhpians are dead against the looks of the new one shown in another thread) but Scorpio isn't been considered as we both did not like the looks and when we sat inside we didn't enjoy that either hence.
Old 21st February 2011, 14:12   #35
Senior - BHPian

Found this

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...n-cheaper.html

going through it at the moment
Old 21st February 2011, 14:31   #36
Senior - BHPian

Your Civic TD summary is spot on.

During my search the only 2 cars that made sense, keeping in mind the 'qualities' of the Baleno/Maruti combo and my requirements (which were quite similar to yours) was the Cedia and the Civic.

You could possibly wait and check out the new Sonata too. Should be available within the 15L + 10% range.
Old 21st February 2011, 14:40   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Your Civic TD summary is spot on.

During my search the only 2 cars that made sense, keeping in mind the 'qualities' of the Baleno/Maruti combo and my requirements (which were quite similar to yours) was the Cedia and the Civic.

You could possibly wait and check out the new Sonata too. Should be available within the 15L + 10% range.
We did went to test drive Cedia but unfortunately he did not have the car in the showroom and so couldn't even see the car, leave alone test driving it. He did promised that he will call me once the test drive car is available.

Did take a look at outlander and WOW what a car, its got everything in it (Except maybe a Diesel power plant)
Old 21st February 2011, 15:04   #38
Senior - BHPian

Are you intent on buying the car right now. If you can wait, I will potentially recommend the new Jetta to you. Cracker of a car. I am waiting for the same...
Old 21st February 2011, 15:09   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Are you intent on buying the car right now. If you can wait, I will potentially recommend the new Jetta to you. Cracker of a car. I am waiting for the same...
I was planning to book sometime in March, that in no way means i cant wait more, have already waited 6 months and wouldn't hurt in waiting some more if something good is around the corner.

Waited for Kizashi (Price was a disaster), There is one from Hyundai around the corner, New Safari looks like will launch soon, Any idea when Jetta is launching?
Old 17th April 2011, 15:19   #40
Senior - BHPian

This may seem like a bit of a joke, but consider the Optra Magnum Diesel LX. About 10L+ OTR. I don't own one. Have TD it extensively and am considering it for myself.

120Bhp, 314Nm Torque. More than most other cars upto 15-20L.
Use a Pete's box to up these figures to Cruze level.

Some observations. (the bad first)

- May possibly be discontinued, but that is speculation.
- May not have the image you seek.
- For your needs, the Music setup would need to be changed, but it is a minor issue.
- Cabin looks dated, however a lot more Airy than the typical modern car.
- Moderate handling.

- Understated looks. Some may find it dull. Some may find it classy (especially in the premium Off-White color)

- Shockingly good engine. Words do no justice. Just need to drive it to know it.
- Extremely good ride quality. Long drives should not be tiring.
- Low cost of maintenance. Resale is poor, but if you intend keeping it for a few years, would not hurt you much, as you anyway would be saving on the upfront cost.
- Savings of a diesel, without it feeling like one.
- Is supposed to be reliable.
- Space.
- Rear seat comfort.

If the image isn't too much of a concern and you like it's understated appearance, changing the music for a few grand and you may have a very practical option.
Old 19th April 2011, 14:41   #41
Senior - BHPian

I have driven an Optra Diesel, along with Cruze when i went to the dealer. As far as my driving and style goes, and after having driven Baleno for last 5-6 years i can say this with confidence "Its only Skoda Laura TSI" which gives me the same driving pleasure as Baleno as far as driving is concerned. Its only when i put other things in [SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]equation that Laura starts to beacome less of a ideal choice. I am still in the business of selecting my next ride (Mostly delayed due to vitamin M availability ).

What I can afford I don’t like, and what I like I am not able to afford at the moment

Hopefully will update everyone when i finally book my next ride.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 19th April 2011 at 14:42. Reason: Scrambled text when pasted from MS Word
Old 19th April 2011, 19:33   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What I can afford I don’t like, and what I like I am not able to afford at the moment

I think that most of team-bhp would suffer from that syndrome ;-)

You must update the forum when you get your car and share the experience with us. All the best mate.
Old 19th April 2011, 21:54   #43
Senior - BHPian

hi,
currently i would suggest two cars, which i felt were vfm for the 15lac range and felt bang for the buck.

in petrol:

the top end Honda Civic 1.8v, pref automatic.

in Diesel:

the top end chevy cruze lt/ltz.

both of them are good cars to drive around, have good features and will have a good resale too.
the most ideal would be the cruze ltz as the diesel cum autobox combo will ensure ease in driving as well as low fuel costs, unless until you are ok with the civic fuel costs.

hope this helps,

aadix

Last edited by aadix : 19th April 2011 at 22:12.
Old 19th April 2011, 23:41   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
TAFE Access is amongst the most competent Skoda dealers and I know their people personally. I can vouch for their service standards.
I am amazed and pleasantly surprised to hear that. Its the first time I heard someone found TAFE so good so maybe they are improving ? Most folks I know and reports on this forum make a case out as one of the worse A.S.S. around. I know several who shifted to Vinayak Motors. Wasn't there the case of a bhpian whose signatures were forged and a old car passed on as new IIRC?
Old 20th April 2011, 00:53   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have driven an Optra Diesel, along with Cruze when i went to the dealer. As far as my driving and style goes, and after having driven Baleno for last 5-6 years i can say this with confidence "Its only Skoda Laura TSI" which gives me the same driving pleasure as Baleno as far as driving is concerned. Its only when i put other things in [SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]equation that Laura starts to beacome less of a ideal choice. I am still in the business of selecting my next ride (Mostly delayed due to vitamin M availability ).

Hopefully will update everyone when i finally book my next ride.
Doesn't Laura come with the option of "2yr std + 2yr extended" warranty coupled with insurance that is bumper-to-bumper sorts? You have two dealers in Bangalore - no monopoly and you have choice. I am very happy with my 4 yrs of Laura ownership.

The regular service costs are comparable to its peers (brake pads, filters, etc.) Part costs (clutch, a/c, engine, etc.) are on the higher side. The wiper blades example you gave: these wiper blades are far superior, i am still running on original wipers for 4 years and they still do a great job. and they wipe much much better - on par with much more expensive cars. they cost nearly the same even in open market i think.

there is no a.s.s issue any more in Bangalore. it is only high cost of parts that is a real issue. but the car more than compensates for it when it comes to driving.

recently i have started driving a 520D and my admiration for Laura has only increased. excellent ergonomics, great GC, lot of clever touches, built to last. this is based on TDI PD, the TSI should be soooo much better! I drove a Golf TSI on a trip recently and was lovely lovely!

civic and cedia might handle better (?), but Laura (understeers?) is a better overall package IMO. i also have a Fabia - no a.s.s issues in B'lore.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks