Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2011, 12:09   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Another one - Looking for a new car - 13 to 15 lakh rupees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajith-s View Post
Corolla Altis (test drive done) (am getting a price of Rs 15.4 on road for 1.8 G)
Likes: Looks, Backseat space, Backseat comfort, Equipment, Toyota reliability and low TCO
Dislikes: Not a European Car!, Driveability and engine performance not as good as the Laura. I felt the low-end torque is not enough (I know this sounds strange – but after driving diesel cars for ever – I have always felt this in petrols)

Honda Civic (test drive not done)
Likes: Looks – the best in this class to me, Hondas are fun to drive, equipment. Steering.
Dislikes: Not a European Car!, Ground clearance
(will be test driving thses soon)
Toyota Corolla is a great family car and the Civic is a great driver's car (not that others are uncomfortable in it).

It all depends on how your driving style is. Driving the civic is pure exhilaration! You will understand what I said when you test drive it especially on highways (since you are quoting of driving 4k kms on highways annually). I would highly recommend giving it a try. Corolla is a more practical car with a good all round performance.

Looking forward to your TD report

**EDIT** Forgot to mention that the new Civic will be introduced in India next year. There is a thread going on for the same in the Indian Car Scene forum.

Last edited by _raVan_ : 17th October 2011 at 12:14.
Old 25th October 2011, 01:01   #122
BHPian

Quote:

Honda Civic (test drive not done)
Likes: Looks – the best in this class to me, Hondas are fun to drive, equipment. Steering.
Dislikes: Not a European Car!, Ground clearance
(will be test driving thses soon)
Did you manage to TD the Civic!? I am using one currently, and after looking at your requirement I am reasonably sure it will be quite apt for you! Also, out of sheer experience, the ground clearance is not thatttt big a deal with the Civic! Essentially, you will scrape a few speed breakers here and there initially with no damage to the undercarriage and then learn to avoid the same! Its an absolute fun to drive this machine on any given day!
Old 28th October 2011, 10:59   #123
BHPian

Re: Looking for a new car - 15 lakh rupees

Thanks raVan and rohan.xj.

I have not test driven the Civic yet.

Got busy with work so have been away from active hunt for last 2 weeks.

I road i travel be it in city or long distance have some killer speed breakers - hence I am really worried abt the ground clearance of Civic.

Also the fact that an upgrade is due next year - and if i am looking at the Civic I will wait for the upgrade.

Actually a new car has come into the equation - making my job more difficult. I just saw a reply (by drmohitg) on another thread indicating that Jetta may come witha 1.4 l TSI.

If that is the case - I may wait for the Jetta?. Can anyone she some light on this?
Old 2nd November 2011, 13:17   #124
Senior - BHPian

Looks like this October month sales of Toyota are down (although not much) still waiting for the final number from GTO to be published.

Here is some news regarding the same

Multi-utility vehicle Innova, premium sedan Corolla Altis and sports utility vehicle Fortuner recorded sales of 3,411, 700 and 763 units, respectively.

Source - Toyota Kirloskar sales jump 63% in October - NDTV Profit

So looks like Altis and Fortuner are down on monthly sales figures.
Old 2nd November 2011, 14:10   #125
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Looks like this October month sales of Toyota are down (although not much) still waiting for the final number from GTO to be published.

Multi-utility vehicle Innova, premium sedan Corolla Altis and sports utility vehicle Fortuner recorded sales of 3,411, 700 and 763 units, respectively.

But this could be due to the floods in Thailand as i think many components for both the Altis and the Fortuner are imported from Toyota, Thailand.
Old 2nd November 2011, 14:37   #126
Senior - BHPian

There is some news around Grand Vitara in Diesel coming. Here are few links. Not sure if they are planning to launch it in India or something is cooking at MSIL.

Maruti Grand Vitara diesel, Maruti Grand Vitara diesel in India, New Maruti Grand Vitara diesel
Old 3rd November 2011, 01:46   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Source - Toyota Kirloskar sales jump 63% in October - NDTV Profit

Last week I inquired - there was a 4 month waiting period for Innova in Hyderabad. So lack of demand is not the reason I guess.
Old 3rd November 2011, 05:21   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan View Post
Last week I inquired - there was a 4 month waiting period for Innova in Hyderabad. So lack of demand is not the reason I guess.
Actually i was pointing more towards Altis and Fortuner as in general Fortuner sells close to 1000 units a month and this time it seems to be about 700 odd. Not sure if its a slowdown thing or XUV 6 Oh Oh effect. To a certain degree i find it arrogant to go ahead and raise the prices when everyone is throwing discounts, and sooner or later market will teach if your moves were right or wrong.
Old 12th November 2011, 07:42   #129
Senior - BHPian

Finally there might be some discount on the T badge, will post more details soon. So the OTR prices of the three options listed work out like this.

Laura Petrol
OTR 17,11,000
Discount - 1,50,000
Actual OTR = 15,61,000

Laura Diesel
OTR - 17,68,000
Discount - 85000
Actual OTR = 16,83,000

Altis Diesel
OTR - 16,73,695
Discount - ??
Actual OTR = 16,73,695

Altis Petrol
OTR - 15,47,845
Discount - WIP (Work in Progress)
Actual OTR = 15,47,845

Today checking out the Cruze again, and monday Civic
Old 12th November 2011, 08:56   #130
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

undoubtedly this will be a good option but I m guessing that it will be a CBU in all probability and hence, will tend to be priced too high for comfort. the consistently hardening yen doesnt help in this case either!

Unless of course they do a volte face and start local assembly! but going by what they did with the Kizashi I think expecting them to even bother about thinking through on the price offering is asking for too much from MSIL. add to this their labour related woes and I dont think we will see all this happening before the latter side of 2012 if then!

The GV is an excellent vehicle - no doubts about it - but at such high prices they can only get few takers.

Quote:
There is some news around Grand Vitara in Diesel coming. Here are few links. Not sure if they are planning to launch it in India or something is cooking at MSIL.

Suzuki Grand Vitara Diesel Review - CarAdvice - YouTube

Maruti Grand Vitara diesel, Maruti Grand Vitara diesel in India, New Maruti Grand Vitara diesel
Old 12th November 2011, 09:28   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Finally there might be some discount on the T badge, will post more details soon. So the OTR prices of the three options listed work out like this.
I doubt you will get much discount on the Altis. Somehow the dealers are not ready to budge even if they risk losing a customer. Thats the scene in Delhi so I am not very sure if Bangalore will be any different. I know of 5 people in my Family and friends who have bough a Petrol Altis in the last 2 months and then some on the Tbhp too and no one could manage a discount apart from the occasional Floor mats and basic accessories worth less then 10k thrown in. One of my Dad's friend has booked 2 Cars at the same time and still could manage only mats, seat covers and some chrome strips as freebies.
Old 12th November 2011, 22:34   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
I doubt you will get much discount on the Altis.
I agree they have always cold shouldered the question around discounts, but i believe these times are tough and different and hence will ask for steps to be taken (which otherwise one would not have taken).

Most manufacturers are sitting on decent sized inventory of Petrol cars and i believe no dealer would want to be sitting on un-sold inventory hence the comment. Wait for few days, i will update if i am successful in extracting any discounts from them.
Old 13th November 2011, 18:44   #133
BHPian

Hi All

Thank you for the suggestions and inputs so far. I am back in the search after 2 weeks.

Did some more TD's and am still confused.

Just to recap; I am looking for a petrol sedan in the 15 lakh bracket - upgrading from a diesel logan.

I had already done TD of Laura TSI and Corolla Altis, which were on top of my list.

Yesterday I went and checked out Jetta (knowing that only Diesel is available), and Renult Fluence (they were in the same area, and wanted to check out the "price reductions" they advertized. Also went to the Laur showroom to check out the latest offers. Here is the update:

Laura:

Offering 1.90 Lakh ! discount on the Classic TSI Variant (OTR: 13,74,180, and 1.50 lakh on Ambiente (OTR: 15,44,247)

Classic is Very attractive - but has a lot of key features missing - so am not that keen. Major items missing: Alloys, Aux-in, 2 DIN music player, rear AC vent, reverse parking sensor, lumbar adjustment and some storge options)

Ambiente: Despite the price drop is still on par with a better equipped Altis.

Decision: Push for a 1.90 discount on Ambiente. Else drop Laura.

Off-topic: They are offering a 1 lakh discount on Yeti.

Renult Fluence:

As a logn user went in without much expectations.

Did the TD on the Diesel. Completely surprised. As more learned members have done a detiled review, my observation in brief:

The Good:
  • Space. This car is really spacious. Even more than the new Jetta.
  • GC of 170 MM.
  • Suspension: As good as any. In the short TD i threw it over some bad bumps and pot holes (with active ecouragement from the salesperson!) - and the car was composed. I will say it is as comfortble as the altis.
  • Handling: Almost in Skoda / Jetta class. I know I will get questioned here. But i did feel that the steering is set-up well - firming up nicely as you accelerate.
The bad:
  • Some engine noise compared to the Jetta. Not bad at all. But still it is there.
  • Lack of equipment. Well documented in this forum.
  • The Price: They have increased the price unless I m mistaken. In Oct the OTR in Blore was around 15.6 lakhs. Now they are saying 16.07 . Still the offer off Stanley leather seats + reverse parking sensor free is there with this price.
The petrol variant is beginning to look very attractive. It has the best in class equipment list. And the price - this was a pleasent surprise. In Oct when I had called them, I got a price of 18 lakhs. Now the price stands at 17.83, and they are throwing in a 80 k discount (or interest for 10 lakhs @ 1.5%, or a 4 year maintenance free option).

At Rs 17 lakhs this car seems like a good option. But for the fear of Renault failing in the market and the resale values going down majorly. Any POV's on this. I am planning a TD next week.

Jetta

Even thought they dont have a petrol, i went and checked out the Jetta. They only had the DSG version for TD!. Now I understand why everyone is praising this car. It is brilliant. I could not find any fault with it - other than the price and lack of a petrol variant. TDing Jetta has made me completely confused. Should I wait for the Petrol Jetta - which would be the perfect option?

So at the end of this my options are still:
  • Corolla Altis Petrol (Rs 15.4 lakhs)
  • Laura Ambienet Petrol (Rs. 15.4 lakhs - waiting for further discount)
  • Civic (will wait for new version)
  • Jetta Diesel (if i do flip and go for the Diesel)
  • Renault Fluence Petrol (to do the TD and see if I can get a better discount and bring the price below 17 lakhs)
Any advice from learned members on

(a) chances of a Jetta Petrol launch in next 3 to 4 months?
(b) at 17 lakhs is Fluence Petrol a good option - if i plan to keep the car for 7 to 8 years?
Ajith-s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2011, 19:43   #134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
(a) chances of a Jetta Petrol launch in next 3 to 4 months?
(b) at 17 lakhs is Fluence Petrol a good option - if i plan to keep the car for 7 to 8 years?
From the earlier reports, they had plans for launching 1.4TSI Jetta in early 2012. If that happens, it will be a good option in petrol. The said motor is extremely fuel efficient as well.

From the current lot (in petrol), I feel the Laura TSI is an excellent option.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 00:28   #135
BHPian

Finally took the TD of the petrol fluence. Have to say this - the dealer (Trident) is going out of thier way to help. They brought the car to my office at the time I had given them, and the SP was very helpful.

I loved the car!.
The AT works beautifully. AT the expence of scandalizing the DG fans, I would say that this CVT comes 80% close to the Jetta DSG.
The interiors are good, really good. No signs of going cheap like the new Jetta.

Discount of over 80k seems possible on the petrol. Most VFM AT in the segment IMHO.

In my mind, now the petrol Fluence is in same consideration set as the Altis, Laura and new Civic.

Confused.

May end up waiting for petrol Jetta in 2012.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks