Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2022, 22:27   #2026
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Has anyone installed a bio septic tank instead of the traditional septic tank at their home? How has it worked out?
I could be interested, because our septic tank is just constantly full from "ground" water seepage, ie the water level two-foot below ground from local flooded plots.

I doubt, though, that there is a system small enough for a two-person household. I don't think we produce enough sewage to feed the bacteria!
Old 7th August 2022, 14:13   #2027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
Hope someone down South can help me out. WE are building a new house and my wife is fixed on getting Athangudi tiles for the courtyard and verandahs. I understand that the traditional red (maroon( colour is the best and other colours fade with time and exposure to the elements. Is this true?
Secondly any pointers to a reliable supplier would be welcome and approximate costing.
You can reach out to anyone at athangudi. YouTube will help. I visited 2 or 3 shops and found them to be good. Red is the best choice as it will not lose color. These tiles will gain sheen only when you walk over them over period of time. However in areas where not much of walking is done it shows up easily. Tiles have to be laid by those who specialize as the ends can chip easily. I got mine done 2 yrs back in balcony and pooja and approx cost of tiles alone was around 60 pqsft. Attaching 2 pics. The red has been laid in pooja and green in balcony. One can notice that the center portion of green tiles is shinier than the ones at edges because ppl walk more in center than at edges. Excuse me for the quality of pics but the red looks much shiny and attractive than in the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-20220807_140627.jpg  

Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-20220807_140705.jpg  

Last edited by prabhu7944 : 7th August 2022 at 14:15.
prabhu7944 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 19:16   #2028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhu7944 View Post
You can reach out to anyone at athangudi.
Easier said than done.
My tamil is 2/10 and the person- manufacturer does not understand English or Hindi. Using my wife as an interpreter was a bad idea since she "has the faith" and trusts everyone and what they say literally and for a die hard Gujju like me it is sacrilege to buy something (anything) without negotiating.

We managed to get three samples by courier ( they came all broken up) but one thing i liked about the manufacturer. He said upfront that only red colour would last and other colours would fade with time, especially if exposed to the elements.

Price quoted ( without negotiation) was Rs 65 per sq ft and Rs 25 for laying them. To & fro bus fare ( maybe train), place to stay and meals to be provided. Of course cement and other stuff.
Is this okay? Not that there is any scope for negotiation.

These tiles will gain sheen only when you walk over them over period of time. However in areas where not much of walking is done it shows up easily. Tiles have to be laid by those who specialize as the ends can chip easily.

Yes, that's what my wife's cousin also advised- but arranging south indian meals twice a day for 3 people for the duration of their stay would not be an easy task, here in Ahmedabad. It seems that one has to lay rice husk and apply some oil on them?

edit: Thank you for your courtesy, Prabhu.
What did you mean by this: "However in areas where not much of walking is done it shows up easily."

Last edited by earthian : 7th August 2022 at 19:38. Reason: house keeping
Old 7th August 2022, 22:32   #2029
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, that's what my wife's cousin also advised- but arranging south indian meals twice a day for 3 people for the duration of their stay would not be an easy task, here in Ahmedabad. It seems that one has to lay rice husk and apply some oil on them?

edit: Thank you for your courtesy, Prabhu.
What did you mean by this: "However in areas where not much of walking is done it shows up easily."
Polishing with rice husk and oil completes the laying process. If you don't get right people to lay then it shows up badly. Another option could be red oxide however would again requires skilled people. You must also factor replacement of broken or scratched tiles some years down the time. Logistics is a huge challenge hence would suggest to use something that is available locally.

By showing up I meant the non frequented areas will remain rough and develop Grey stains. Attaching another picture where you can see the stains.
Attached Thumbnails
Home Construction / Makeover / Maintenance Thread-20220807_221840.jpg  

prabhu7944 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 11:05   #2030
BHPian

Quote:
We managed to get three samples by courier ( they came all broken up) but one thing i liked about the manufacturer. He said upfront that only red colour would last and other colours would fade with time, especially if exposed to the elements.
You can look for similar patterns in Moroccan tile designs or Spanish tile designs. I have seen many patterns similar to Athangudi tiles in these collections. You even get Vitrified tiles in these patterns. Most of these are manufactured in Morbi, Gujarat which is closer to home for you compared to procuring Athangudi tiles. You can find plenty of dealers for these patterned tiles nearby.

There is one in Bangalore who has these floor tiles though the Athangudi and Moroccan designs tend to have an overlap as well in many patterns.

https://mytyles.com/floor-tiles/kitc...ccan-tiles?p=1

Saves you the hassle of finding the right set of skillset for laying Athangudi tiles since you can find local skilled workers as well for these patterned tiles. Just my 2 cents but if you are very particular about Athangudi tiles then just go for it but make sure you order more boxes keeping in mind the breakage during transportation and need to keep a few in the loft to use later in case of any breakage after a few years or so.
whencut86 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 11:09   #2031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
You can look for similar patterns in Moroccan tile designs or Spanish tile designs. I have seen many patterns similar to Athangudi tiles in these collections. You even get Vitrified tiles in these patterns. Most of these are manufactured in Morbi, Gujarat which is closer to home for you compared to procuring Athangudi tiles. You can find plenty of dealers for these patterned tiles nearby.
True and thanks. Shall explore local availability.
Old 8th August 2022, 14:24   #2032
BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone installed a bio septic tank instead of the traditional septic tank at their home? How has it worked out?
I have one installed at my home. Works well during summers and if you are sure the ground water level doesn't raise to less than 20 feet, then you can go for it.

IIRC, you stay amidst of Thiruvanchery and Selaiyur lakes. During the rainy season around December and January ground water level in those area raises so much that you can collect water from wells directly. As the ground water level raises, water enters into those collection chambers and fills them. You cannot use your toilets for days perhaps weeks if the rain doesn't stop.
saisree is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 16:09   #2033
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saisree View Post
I have one installed at my home.
Is this the same type that was advertised as being able to create compost from the waste ?
Old 8th August 2022, 17:11   #2034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Is this the same type that was advertised as being able to create compost from the waste ?
Nope, this works as your septic tank. This has multiple tanks where the water from your toilets flows from one to the other. We have to add an additive which develops bacteria to eat up the sludge and the water in it kind of transforms into a treated water. The treated water drains into the soil from the outlet.
saisree is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 11:44   #2035
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have one installed at my home. Works well during summers and if you are sure the ground water level doesn't raise to less than 20 feet, then you can go for it.

IIRC, you stay amidst of Thiruvanchery and Selaiyur lakes. During the rainy season around December and January ground water level in those area raises so much that you can collect water from wells directly. As the ground water level raises, water enters into those collection chambers and fills them. You cannot use your toilets for days perhaps weeks if the rain doesn't stop.
Hey, thanks for replying! I am planning to build (fingers crossed) in the Vengambakkam village area in the coming year (the area between Zion International school and Shree Niketan school ). Ground water is literally at the road level in a well near my plot during monsoons.

But won't this cause traditional septic tanks to also be filled with ground water? I understand your warning when it comes to bio sepctic tanks.

Quote:
Nope, this works as your septic tank. This has multiple tanks where the water from your toilets flows from one to the other. We have to add an additive which develops bacteria to eat up the sludge and the water in it kind of transforms into a treated water. The treated water drains into the soil from the outlet.
Do share a bit about the provider who installed the bio septic tank for you. If not for me, others will find it useful.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 16:34   #2036
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to replace my house' Main Door and Frame (age has caught up), and specific about Teak doors. I have a quote, from my local carpenter, of 70K for handmade door including fitting charges.

I have no idea if this is a fair estimate (standard main-entrance single-door), or if there are better options out there.

Can You please suggest.
Thanks.
Old 10th August 2022, 16:43   #2037
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
I have no idea if this is a fair estimate (standard main-entrance single-door), or if there are better options out there.

Can You please suggest.
Thanks.
Tata Steel doors can be a good option, availability in Bangalore should not be a problem.
https://www.tatapravesh.com
deehunk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 17:19   #2038
BHPian

Quote:
Hey, thanks for replying! I am planning to build (fingers crossed) in the Vengambakkam village area in the coming year (the area between Zion International school and Shree Niketan school ). Ground water is literally at the road level in a well near my plot during monsoons.
My humble advice/request, drop this bio septic tank plan.

Quote:
But won't this cause traditional septic tanks to also be filled with ground water? I understand your warning when it comes to bio sepctic tanks.
Yes, traditional tanks do fill up and you will be able to get it emptied with those sucker tanks. When it comes to these bio tanks, we don't have an option other than depending on the ground water level.
These are best suited where the ground water level is way below. For places in around Chennai its a failure.

Quote:
Do share a bit about the provider who installed the bio septic tank for you. If not for me, others will find it useful.
Reach out to Mr Gunasekaran. Don't remember his company name but, he is the owner of this business. He can be reached at 98843 75866.

@Mods I don't have any affiliation with his business, please feel free to edit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Seasoned Teak wood is costlier and a hand made door with frame might be close to your carpenters quote. I would recommend accepting his quote on a condition that you are able to confirm the wood is actually Teak.

Last edited by aah78 : 10th August 2022 at 17:33. Reason: Quotes trimmed.
saisree is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 19:01   #2039
BHPian

Quote:

Price quoted ( without negotiation) was Rs 65 per sq ft and Rs 25 for laying them. To & fro bus fare ( maybe train), place to stay and meals to be provided. Of course cement and other stuff.
"
Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhu7944 View Post

By showing up I meant the non frequented areas will remain rough and develop Grey stains. Attaching another picture where you can see the stains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whencut86 View Post
There is a supplier called Bharat Flooring here who gets similar tiles made at Mumbai. Rate is Rs 275 + transportation. More than 4 times the cost of Athangudi ones. Still hunting but don't see many suppliers.
Old 10th August 2022, 19:26   #2040
BHPian

Quote:
There is a supplier called Bharat Flooring here who gets similar tiles made at Mumbai. Rate is Rs 275 + transportation. More than 4 times the cost of Athangudi ones. Still hunting but don't see many suppliers.
Ask for Moroccan/Spanish designer tiles and not specifically for Athangudi tiles. You will get lot of options and designs. These tiles are available from Rs.40-50 per SqFt.

Last edited by whencut86 : 10th August 2022 at 19:27. Reason: correction
whencut86 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks