Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2023, 15:48   #4336
BHPian

Re: The Mutual Funds Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I never google searched Adani before this scam and never invested in Adani stocks. Actively managed funds do not invest in Adani companies.

but
Nifty50+Nifty Next 50 index have many Adani companies (invested in both index funds)
Have LIC policy and Superannuation fund is with LIC and they invested in Adani
I never invested in an Index fund till a year back. Seeing the expense ratio of all these actively managed funds shooting up, I started parking some money in Nifty 50 Index fund and now Adani strikes. If your employer permits, then moving Superannuation contributions from LIC to NPS is a viable option to consider. You can claim the Employer contribution to NPS as tax deductible as well.
sreerknair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 16:42   #4337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx14 View Post
You may want to check on this again.
Checked and I am safe there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerknair View Post
I never invested in an Index fund till a year back. Seeing the expense ratio of all these actively managed funds shooting up, I started parking some money in Nifty 50 Index fund and now Adani strikes
Same here, I started investing in index funds in 2021 only (nifty50 and niftynext50)

Quote:
If your employer permits, then moving Superannuation contributions from LIC to NPS is a viable option to consider. You can claim the Employer contribution to NPS as tax deductible as well.
Thanks, I will check it.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 17:08   #4338
BHPian

Quote:
If your employer permits, then moving Superannuation contributions from LIC to NPS is a viable option to consider. You can claim the Employer contribution to NPS as tax deductible as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Thanks, I will check it.
NPS equity funds are actively managed funds, and I have not been able to find the stock portfolio of these funds. NPS may have also invested in Adani stocks. There is just no way to know.
Old 30th January 2023, 17:57   #4339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
NPS equity funds are actively managed funds, and I have not been able to find the stock portfolio of these funds. NPS may have also invested in Adani stocks. There is just no way to know.
Good point. Yes most of them have exposure to some Adani firms as well. But hopefully not as bad as LIC's and Nifty. Also since these are actively managed, the fund manager can change the allocation based on latest context. I did check HDFC's Scheme E Tier 1 allocation, and they have .76% allocation in Adani Ports and SEZ. The details are in HDFC site.
Old 30th January 2023, 18:06   #4340
BHPian

Quote:
But hopefully not as bad as LIC's and Nifty. Also since these are actively managed, the fund manager can change the allocation based on latest context.
Strangely though, the list of anchor investors in the ongoing FPO included :
LIC
SBI LIFE
HDFC LIFE
Fx14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 19:18   #4341
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalOne View Post
You can download all NPS portfolios from here.

Even some of the active mutual funds have exposure to two recently acquired Adani group stocks- ACC and Ambuja cements. These have also bore the brunt of the Hindenburg crash inspite of being at somewhat reasonable valuation.
DaptChatterjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 10:58   #4342
BHPian

NASDAQ 100 FoF

I invest in Motilal NASDAQ 100 FoF, but I am not able to correlate the NAV changes of the fund to closing price of the index on day-to-day basis? I guess the exchange rate changes are to be factored in, but they should be negligible unless there is a huge change in the day. I am expecting the NAV of the fund gets updated after NASDAQ trading is closed at 5:15pm US time, isn't this the case?
Old 10th February 2023, 11:46   #4343
Team-BHP Support

Re: NASDAQ 100 FoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
I invest in Motilal NASDAQ 100 FoF, but I am not able to correlate the NAV changes of the fund to closing price of the index on day-to-day basis? I guess the exchange rate changes are to be factored in, but they should be negligible unless there is a huge change in the day. I am expecting the NAV of the fund gets updated after NASDAQ trading is closed at 5:15pm US time, isn't this the case?
MON100 open price depends on price action of NASDAQ futures from 3:30PM the previous day to 9:15AM today.

Between 9:15AM to 3:30PM, MON100 more or less tracks the NASDAQ futures prices. You can track the futures prices of all American indices from this link: https://www.investing.com/indices/indices-futures

The numbers in the above link stop moving at around 1:30AM (US markets close time). It restarts when Australian markets open (around 5:30AM). You can track NIFTY futures (SGX Nifty) movement from the above link too.

Last edited by SmartCat : 10th February 2023 at 12:07.
SmartCat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 12:16   #4344
BHPian

Quote:
Motilal NASDAQ 100 FoF does not directly invest in US stocks. It invests in ETF owned by same fund house - Motilal Oswal NASDAQ 100 ETF. This ETF invests in US stocks directly and attempts to mimic NASDAQ 100 Index. This ETF is traded in NSE/BSE, the Indian stock markets, and it's price roughly depends on last closing NASDAQ 100 Index and future price of NASDAQ 100 plus demand supply of ETF.

So, effectively there would be lag in FOF vs NASDAQ correlation, but over a longer interval they will align.
sushantk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 13:19   #4345
BHPian

Quote:
I invest in Motilal NASDAQ 100 FoF, but I am not able to correlate the NAV changes of the fund to closing price of the index on day-to-day basis?
I don’t invest in this fund but have investments in ICICI nasdaq 100 index fund & Kotak nasdaq 100 fund. Generally the nav gets updated at around 11am IST next day at value research site.
Kotak, like the Motilal fund, invests through ETF and doesn’t necessarily mirror the index. ICICI, being a direct index fund, follows the index more accurately.
DaptChatterjee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2023, 00:39   #4346
BHPian

Edelweiss MF has communicated that they will be restricting fresh investments in offshore (international) funds with effect from February 10, 2023 post cut-off timing of 3.00 pm.

Why are they doing this?
To avoid breach of industry-wide overseas limits as allowed by RBI, this restriction has been advised by SEBI on January 28, 2022 and clarified by AMFI on January 30, 2022.
Old 13th February 2023, 03:04   #4347
BHPian

Hello Experts,

I'm need of your valuable suggestion as I'm completely new to the MF scene. I'm 32 years old, NRI. I have been investing primarily in real estate (plots). But, now I am thinking of starting investments in MFs. This would be a long term investment - read 15 years or more for kids, their education, and my retirement. My risk profile is moderate. My expectation of returns is 12% in the long term. Please let me if I'm wrong in my estimate. To start with, I want to invest 50k INR per month. I have been doing some research since some time, but there's so much of info that I'm lost. I have shortlisted the following funds
  1. SBI Equity Hybrid Fund: 20k
  1. PPFAS/Mirae asset emerging bluechip or Tata/SBI Large & Mid Cap Fund (value fund): 20K - I'm confused here. I'm not sure if I should invest in another largecap not overlapping with SBI equity hybrid or if I should pick one focusing on Midcap only. I read some stories about Mirae asset emerging bluechip not accepting new investments. PPFAS seems to have temporarily stopped investments in foreign stocks. Could you please suggest one fund in the mid cap or large cap which makes more sense?
  1. Axis Small Cap: 10K

I was keenly looking at Index funds with low tracking error. But with recent developments with Adani, and it being still part of the Nifty50, do you think it makes sense to invest in Index funds? I know Adani is slowly recovering back. Honestly, freefincal is more confusing than helping to me on the Index funds matter

Thank you,
Sanjay
Old 13th February 2023, 14:49   #4348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu View Post
I'm need of your valuable suggestion as I'm completely new to the MF scene.
Not an expert, but an NRI who SIP'ed into MFs for close to 15 years. I have stopped my SIPs, but putting in lump sums now just occasionally while simultaneously building up my pf more on the debt side since I am close to taking an early retirement.
Returns are 15%+ CAGR, 13%+ XIRR. I had less of smallcap funds in the SIP basket.
Amongst all the funds that you mentioned, Mirae Asset Emerging Bluechip Fund stands out in my pf as a star performer. Can't say much about the other funds.
My journey in MFs had started through my Financial Advisor, but since the launch of Direct Funds, I switched to these plans to keep my expenses down; and it makes all the sense for you too to go for direct plans only.
If you are confused on which funds to pick, do visit valueresearchonline.com or moneycontrol.com or morningstar.com or ET. The work of picking up funds will get easier as you start reading about details like Fund Managers, Performance with respect to category benchmark, expense ratio, the investment philosophy, bundle of stocks in each fund etc.
Hope that helps.
Happy investing.

Last edited by skchettry : 13th February 2023 at 14:50.
skchettry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2023, 15:54   #4349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuu View Post
Hello Experts,
SBI Equity Hybrid Fund: 20k
Caution: No expert!

Better to choose 2 funds considering the long horizon and the SIP amount. May be a multi asset/dynamic asset allocation/index fund along with the aggressive hybrid fund.
Quote:
PPFAS/Mirae asset emerging bluechip or Tata/SBI Large & Mid Cap Fund (value fund): 20K - I'm confused here. I'm not sure if I should invest in another largecap not overlapping with SBI equity hybrid or if I should pick one focusing on Midcap only. I read some stories about Mirae asset emerging bluechip not accepting new investments. PPFAS seems to have temporarily stopped investments in foreign stocks.
Mirae asset emerging bluechip is only accepting SIP upto 2.5K. Not only PPFAS, no fund house can invest fresh money in international markets till RBI revise the cap. Again better to have two funds.

Quote:
Axis Small Cap: 10K
Definitely two funds if you want to allocate 20% in small cap. I personally don't like small cap funds with humongous AUM. They are forced to park 50% in large & mid cap stocks and also invest in 100/150 stocks.

Quote:
I was keenly looking at Index funds with low tracking error. But with recent developments with Adani, and it being still part of the Nifty50, do you think it makes sense to invest in Index funds?
Adani group does not have much weightage in Nifty 50. So, nothing much to worry. Or you can choose sensex index funds that don't have exposure to the Adanis.
DaptChatterjee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 18:50   #4350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaptChatterjee View Post

Mirae asset emerging bluechip is only accepting SIP upto 2.5K. Not only PPFAS, no fund house can invest fresh money in international markets till RBI revise the cap.
Correction. I am investing in MO S&P500 since 2021, stopped from April 2022 till Nov 2022 as the limit was breached and they weren't taking fresh investments. But from Dec 2022 they opened again mostly as the market went down which brought their AUM within RBi limits. I have been regularly investing in it for US exposure.

Last edited by Aditya : 13th March 2023 at 22:06. Reason: As requested
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks