Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2023, 20:36   #4351
BHPian

Re: The Mutual Funds Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Correction. I am investing in their MO S&P500 since 2021, stopped from April 2022 till Nov 2022 as the limit was breached and they weren't taking fresh investments. But from Dec 2022 they opened again mostly as the market went down which brought their AUM within RBi limits. I have been regularly investing in it for US exposure.
RBI cap is on investment amount (in USD) and not on present market value. The re-opening was due to redemptions which freed up some allocation within the RBI cap.
Old 13th March 2023, 20:37   #4352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaptChatterjee View Post
RBI cap is on investment amount (in USD) and not on present market value. The re-opening was due to redemptions which freed up some allocation within the RBI cap.
Either ways, its open for fresh investments. That was the point.
SoumenD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 22:25   #4353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Either ways, its open for fresh investments. That was the point.
They stopped again w.e.f. 10th March 2023.
Fx14 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 22:41   #4354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx14 View Post
They stopped again w.e.f. 10th March 2023.
Correct for lumpsum not for SIPs. SIPs are still allowed. I just did some lumpsum last week and was planning to do more this week.
Attached Thumbnails
The Mutual Funds Thread-capture.jpg  

Last edited by SoumenD : 13th March 2023 at 22:51.
SoumenD is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2023, 10:23   #4355
BHPian

My IDFC MFs got updated as Bandhan MFs. Apart from name and logo, rest remains same for the time being. Any thoughts from the experts here? Is it time to move away?
Old 15th March 2023, 09:47   #4356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijin View Post
My IDFC MFs got updated as Bandhan MFs. Apart from name and logo, rest remains same for the time being. Any thoughts from the experts here? Is it time to move away?
The takeover has been in the process for some time. Bandhan group has mentioned that they would keep the team as is, and so far that has been the case. If you see changes in the team, you may need to consider the change; else there is no need to act now.
srsrini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 09:53   #4357

Re: NASDAQ 100 FoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaptChatterjee View Post
I don’t invest in this fund but have investments in ICICI nasdaq 100 index fund & Kotak nasdaq 100 fund. Generally the nav gets updated at around 11am IST next day at value research site.
Kotak, like the Motilal fund, invests through ETF and doesn’t necessarily mirror the index. ICICI, being a direct index fund, follows the index more accurately.
I would add a finer point here. Most Indian ETFs have a mutual fund version. So when we talk about MO N100, we can talk about the ETF first - it directly holds the N100 stocks, and has shown a large tracking error. Almost every other N100 fund from India, including Kotak, use US-based ETFs. This can be more efficient. Since there are many N100 funds in India, MO would come last in the list due to this reason.

The FoF term is used for many situations.
srsrini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 08:55   #4358
BHPian

A new proposal in the finance bill - regarding debt funds.

https://www.cnbctv18.com/personal-fi...l-16251041.htm
Old 24th March 2023, 09:14   #4359
BHPian

I came across this on Twitter. Can someone please help me understand the impact by naming any of the popular funds in this category?

Quote:
Indexation advantage of Mutual Funds for investing in Debt, Gold & International equity is going as per the finance bill.

Source: https://twitter.com/KirtanShahCFP/st...81799941775362
Old 24th March 2023, 19:14   #4360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirugata View Post
A new proposal in the finance bill - regarding debt funds.

https://www.cnbctv18.com/personal-fi...l-16251041.htm
Considering inflation and taxation you'll be hardly left with any gains in debt funds now, in fact you might mostly incur losses on debt funds (considering inflation).

This is ridiculous to say the least - both the proposal itself and the manner in which it was brought as an amendment at the last moment and passed without discussion. If it was brought up in the main budget, by now it could have been deliberated (in and outside the house) before passing.

FDs / bank accounts with higher interest rates would be preferred to Debt / Liquid funds. Only difference is you pay tax on accrued interest on FD and pay tax only on withdrawal in debt funds.
mayuresh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 19:20   #4361
BHPian

Hello BHPians,

I am in a dilemma, and what I don't have is TIME.

I want to invest 96k ASAP (before 1st April) on behalf of my wife so as to save on tax.
She has already invested 36k in ELSS and 20k for a medical insurance (for her parents) in this FY.

Now, I don't know if I should put all of this 96k in her PPF or should I diversify in lets say 70:30 ratio between PPF:ELSS?

-TIA,
NA
Old 24th March 2023, 20:07   #4362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by na_agrawal View Post
Hello BHPians,
I want to invest 96k ASAP (before 1st April)
Investing large amount in one go in Equity / Equity MF is not a great idea. Equity investment should be spread over time. So for now I'd think a good share in PPF.

But later, when you are not under time pressure, decide it basis your asset allocation. Treat PPF like a Govt security (factor in safety + EEE benefit etc) and decide % allocation for it. You can always re-balance it over time (i.e. if you think your PPF is becoming larger than you'd like it to be, next year put less in PPF and more in ELSS etc.).

Last edited by mayuresh : 24th March 2023 at 20:08.
mayuresh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 20:37   #4363
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by na_agrawal View Post
Hello BHPians,

I want to invest 96k ASAP (before 1st April) on behalf of my wife so as to save on tax.
She has already invested 36k in ELSS and 20k for a medical insurance (for her parents) in this FY.
36K ELSS comes under 80C and parental insurance comes under 80D.

Please check any other 80C options already availed like employee contributions towards PF etc.

Putting big amount into equity may not be advisable, so you may split and see some debt options like 5 year FD since the interest rates are high nowadays.
rx100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 21:37   #4364
Senior - BHPian

Looks like International funds also come under same ambit now as debt funds. So for those as well you pay tax as per slab.

I was investing in international funds for diversification and $ cost advantage. But with indexation gone, wonder if it makes any more sense now to continue with this?

Having said that, now I wonder what stops the government from extending the same love to Equity MFs as well? Matter of time before they totally remove LTCG altogether.

Last edited by SoumenD : 24th March 2023 at 21:41.
Old 25th March 2023, 08:27   #4365

I would give a longish reply. Before the finance bill, there were two kinds of mutual funds when it came to taxes.

1. Equity funds that have 65% or more in Indian equity. These (like direct equity) had more favourable capital gains taxes than other capital assets.
2. All other funds - though we use debt funds informally, this includes gold, multi-assets and international equity

The finance bill has split 2 into two further categories

2a) This pretty much has all the funds - Funds that have <35% in Indian equity
2b) Funds that have between 35% and 65% in Indian equity

2b is still taxed like other capital assets. 2a would be taxed in a brand new category of capital assets - capital gains are always included in your income and there is no concept of long term.

For an earlier question, 98% of non-equity funds in India would fall under 2a. The handful of conservative hybrid funds, and some multi-asset funds would fall under 2b.

It is possible that some AMCs would tweak some of their funds to make them part of 2b - but this scope is limited.

The change makes international funds pretty much unsuitable. Debt funds still have some advantages - though not so major - over FDs. One very key advantage is this: In a FD spanning financial years, the interest for each FY is taxed in that FY. While in a debt fund, it would be taxed only when you withdraw.
srsrini is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks