Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2022, 11:00   #121
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Moving to Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
I am an unmarried kannadiga who stayed for a couple of months in front of Manyata tech park and here are my observations as a local/non local, when i played a game of not knowing kannada, which is the local language here.
Slightly OT:
Yes I agree it is nice to know the local language. But as a resident of this city for 20 years, I have been witness to the extreme form of parochial and chauvinistic behaviour which has become rampant here, especially in the outlying suburbs, where in the name of ‘local language’ people berate, threaten and intimidate people from ‘outside’, even if that so called ‘outsider’ is a paying customer and has paid his/ her taxes honestly and indeed, in most cases, has invested in property and so on.

This is not at all the essence of goodwill and certainly not the essence of the cosmopolitan Bangalore that once was, where everyone felt welcome. This rising tidal wave of parochialism and chauvinism needs to be stemmed. It would be good if people realised just how much money is brought in to the local economy by way of bolstering the tax regime, the support services economy and thus overall creating greater economic opportunity for this region and for this city. It is definitely true that it has also on the flip side, resulted in tremendous unbridled corruption and completely unscientific development, but there is absolutely no excuse for a local to believe himself to be superior and more ‘entitled’ just because he or she is a “local”. This applies to anywhere in India and the world. No excuses.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 11:10   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Slightly OT:
It is definitely true that it has also on the flip side, resulted in tremendous unbridled corruption and completely unscientific development, but there is absolutely no excuse for a local to believe himself to be superior and more ‘entitled’ just because he or she is a “local”. This applies to anywhere in India and the world. No excuses.
Ofcourse! When my colleague said so, i was not willing to believe it but unfortunately yes. Technology then came to their saviour through Ola/Uber/GoBroker etc and yes now it is not as rampant, since they are at mercys end to conduct fair business. this is just my observations. Some are good however. Language is not any answer for development or corruption, period.
Old 18th October 2022, 11:16   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Slightly OT:
Yes I agree it is nice to know the local language. But as a resident of this city for 20 years, I have been witness to the extreme form of parochial and chauvinistic behaviour which has become rampant here,__snipped___
I am a non Kannadiga and have lived in Bangalore for 20 years now (will be 21 come december) and I must say, this is the most friendly city to live in - I have lived in Delhi, Mumbai and stayed for long periods in Chennai. I have not faced any discrimination or issues because I am "outsider". Wherever I can, I try to speak kannada (my children also speak in bits and pieces) and I have found this city to be the best, except for traffic situation, of course.
The only difference I have seen in these decades is that, when I first came here, Autos, Taxi-wallas will either speak kannada or english. Every shop will also be the same. Now, everyone speaks Hindi. Even Kannadigas speak to you in Hindi (I guess they are assuming I speak hindi and not Kannada) but when I respond in Kannada, they always smile - come to think of it, who would not like everyone to be able to speak in your own mother tongue?
My advise is, please try to learn atleast basic Kannada (BBMP offices in some places run speaking courses - I know of one in ejipura) and the locals would be happy to assist you, but not your office-mates if you are working in MNCs - they will speak with you in english (or hindi )
Houses for rent are (I could be wrong) not 100% owned by locals. Most often, they are Tamils, Telegaites, even Bengalis and others. So, be careful and know what you are paying for. Street smart is what is needed - I guess that goes for every where, not just here.
gtonsing is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 19:32   #124
BHPian

Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

OT: I am moving to Bangalore in 2 weeks and the rants on this thread make me nervous. The very first decision will be to finalize a house (on rent). Which would be the best locality to reduce traffic troubles if the preference is to find a flat in a gated society. My office is in Mahadevapura. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by warrioraks : 19th October 2022 at 19:35.
Old 19th October 2022, 21:05   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrioraks View Post
OT: I am moving to Bangalore in 2 weeks and the rants on this thread make me nervous. The very first decision will be to finalize a house (on rent). Which would be the best locality to reduce traffic troubles if the preference is to find a flat in a gated society. My office is in Mahadevapura. Thanks in advance!
Welcome to Bangalore. Don't worry, if you stay close to work and plan your work timings, it is not as bad as what the rants seem to indicate. Peak hour traffic and pathetic infra is a whole different story and you'll have to experience it to understand

Where in Mahadevapura is your office? We can help you if you can be more specific. Mahadevapura is a dense IT locality and traveling from one end (Varthur) to the other end (Ramamurthy Nagar) will itself take you anywhere between 30min to 2hr depending on the time of the day
nagr22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 21:19   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
PLease stay in Mahadevapura. Gated societies include Godrej United, Brigade metropolis. Use these as highlights to begin scanning google maps around the area for other such gated societies. These two are the biggest however, and Godrej is probably the most premium.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 21:24   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagr22 View Post
Welcome to Bangalore

Where in Mahadevapura is your office? We can help you if you can be more specific. Mahadevapura is a dense IT locality and traveling from one end (Varthur) to the other end (Ramamurthy Nagar) will itself take you anywhere between 30min to 2hr depending on the time of the day
Thanks nagr22. I did not realise the expanse of Mahadevpura till I read your post. The precise location is Bagmane World Technology Center.

Last edited by warrioraks : 19th October 2022 at 21:28.
Old 19th October 2022, 21:56   #128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks nagr22. I did not realise the expanse of Mahadevpura till I read your post. The precise location is Bagmane World Technology Center.
If you can find something to rent there (and it fits your budget & needs), Akme Ballet/Ferns Habitat is literally opposite the WTC campus along the ORR, behind Total Mall at Doddanekundi junction.

You could waltz your way to work, if you choose .
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2022, 22:54   #129
BHPian

Quote:
You are in the middle of a rent spike, so dont be surprised by rents beyond your initial estimate if looking for well- located apartments with all amenities. If looking for lower budget, you will need to compromise on location, but right now, its a landlord's market.
Caffeinated is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 00:03   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
PLease stay in Mahadevapura. Gated societies include Godrej United, Brigade metropolis. …These two are the biggest however, and Godrej is probably the most premium.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
If you can find something to rent there (and it fits your budget & needs), Akme Ballet/Ferns Habitat is literally opposite the WTC campus along the ORR, behind Total Mall at Doddanekundi junction.

You could waltz your way to work, if you choose .
Thanks Red Liner and Chetan for the recommendations. These provide a great starting point. Definitely seem to be premium spaces with premium prices. So I might settle for something less classy even if it means not being able to waltz to the office

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
You are in the middle of a rent spike, so dont be surprised by rents beyond your initial estimate if looking for well- located apartments with all amenities. If looking for lower budget, you will need to compromise on location, but right now, its a landlord's market.
That is spot on. I was actually shocked when I first saw the prices on magic bricks, 99 acres, etc. Way higher than Gurgaon. Clearly there are compromises to be made once the actual house hunting starts.
Old 20th October 2022, 00:59   #131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Red Liner and Chetan for the recommendations. These provide a great starting point. Definitely seem to be premium spaces with premium prices. So I might settle for something less classy even if it means not being able to waltz to the office
If you don't mind living a little further away (but within single digit kms from WTC), look at buildings within Doddanekundi, the areas either side of Mahadevapura flyover (on the WTC-KR Puram stretch) or a little towards the ISRO/Karthik Nagar side along ORR. Plenty of non-premium options.

Or, idea out of left field, find something along the purple line Metro route in more residential areas with lower rentals. The Byappanahalli-Whitefield stretch will soon be operational, and the KR Puram station will be a short bus/auto ride from work. WTC even has a metro shuttle (definitely did when I was working from office pre-COVID).
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 08:21   #132
BHPian

Quote:
There are some good options available in the chinnappanahalli area.

Look for Sohan RNR (they have two apartments), Alpine eco, and host of others near to that.

These are about 2 kms to your work place.
Best of luck.
Capri89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 19:15   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
If you don't mind living a little further away (but within single digit kms from WTC), look at buildings within Doddanekundi, the areas either side of Mahadevapura flyover (on the WTC-KR Puram stretch) or a little towards the ISRO/Karthik Nagar side along ORR. Plenty of non-premium options.

Or, idea out of left field, find something along the purple line Metro route in more residential areas with lower rentals. The Byappanahalli-Whitefield stretch will soon be operational, and the KR Puram station will be a short bus/auto ride from work. WTC even has a metro shuttle (definitely did when I was working from office pre-COVID).
That’s great advice. After looking at the astronomical prices, I had started thinking of living far from office since WFO will be a day or two per week. Wasn’t sure of the direction to explore. You read my mind and suggested even before I could ask. This is very helpful

Last edited by warrioraks : 20th October 2022 at 19:16.
Old 15th November 2022, 22:13   #134
BHPian

Hi folks, I have finally relocated to the Garden City. Currently put up near Kattanallur Gate (Orion Uptown mall).
My Honda City is up for annual service and Google throws up ton of options with good reviews. Some are too good to be real. So asking if there any recommendations? Would prefer to go by Bhpian suggestion rather than blindly going by online reviews.

Last edited by warrioraks : 15th November 2022 at 22:15.
Old 15th November 2022, 23:36   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Hi folks, I have finally relocated to the Garden City. Currently put up near Kattanallur Gate (Orion Uptown mall).
My Honda City is up for annual service and Google throws up ton of options with good reviews. Some are too good to be real. So asking if there any recommendations? Would prefer to go by Bhpian suggestion rather than blindly going by online reviews.
Í also work in Bagmane and am currently in house hunting mode.

If you don't mind, can you share the details of the place you rented? 2 bhk or 3bhk?, Society and rent.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks