Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2016, 12:46   #286
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Fishkeeping hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post
Tank dimensions can not be changed since I have a study table lying around (no longer using it ) which will be used as a stand for the tank. Height can be changed but I think 20" would be enough.

Yes sailfin pleco. To be sure, I will post a pic from fish store some days before getting it.

Will clown loaches live peacefully with goldfish? I do not want them to nip fins of other fish. What about current 3 goldfish + 2 plecos?

Sure. What would be the starting price for a decent canister filter?

Thanks.
Heh heh ok. Tank height 20" is enough. 24" would be nice but would be a pain to reach the bottom.

OK send a pic. You can check by checking out the number of rays in the dorsal fin. Most plecos including common plecos will have 7 rays. Sailfins will have 11 rays. Also remember that Sailfins grow upto 18"

As for Clowns and Goldies:
http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/cl...-goldfish.html

For a tank your size, you should be looking for canisters with at least 100LPH-1400LPH.

This as bare minimum:
https://umino.in/aquarium-accessorie...nai-india.html

This would be better:
https://umino.in/aquarium-accessorie...nai-india.html
Old 12th February 2016, 15:57   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Heh heh ok. Tank height 20" is enough. 24" would be nice but would be a pain to reach the bottom.

OK send a pic. You can check by checking out the number of rays in the dorsal fin. Most plecos including common plecos will have 7 rays. Sailfins will have 11 rays. Also remember that Sailfins grow upto 18"

As for Clowns and Goldies:
http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/cl...-goldfish.html

For a tank your size, you should be looking for canisters with at least 100LPH-1400LPH.
So, I need around 3k for a good canister filter. Tank would cost around 6k. Fish will be free. Leaves me with around 3-5k (max) for lighting, live plants, heater and decoration. Is artificial lighting really necessary? At the fish stores, they are showing chinese blue or pink submersible light tubes for 300-400 bucks. How useful will that be? I am thinking of a simple home LED bulb in a holder built-in to the lid, or a custom warm white LED strip under the lid (in a sealed box; similar to cabin light in cars).

Growth of fish is not a problem since I have the option of exchanging them for smaller ones, but I want a peaceful environment and do not want bigger fish eating smaller ones. Let's see, but that pleco (orange one) was really handsome and plecos are great anyway.

I will also see the possibility of increasing height to 2 ft. And "pain to reach the bottom" means for the fish or us (while cleaning)?
Old 12th February 2016, 17:03   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, I need around 3k for a good canister filter. Tank would cost around 6k. Fish will be free. Leaves me with around 3-5k (max) for lighting, live plants, heater and decoration. Is artificial lighting really necessary? At the fish stores, they are showing chinese blue or pink submersible light tubes for 300-400 bucks. How useful will that be? I am thinking of a simple home LED bulb in a holder built-in to the lid, or a custom warm white LED strip under the lid (in a sealed box; similar to cabin light in cars).

Growth of fish is not a problem since I have the option of exchanging them for smaller ones, but I want a peaceful environment and do not want bigger fish eating smaller ones. Let's see, but that pleco (orange one) was really handsome and plecos are great anyway.

I will also see the possibility of increasing height to 2 ft. And "pain to reach the bottom" means for the fish or us (while cleaning)?
Meant for us You would need to get a stool or something stand on it and then bend or you would need to long tools. Hassle eitherways unless you are really tall. I'm 6' and i struggle to reach the bottom of the tank.

Please read up if live plants and goldies are a good option.

Submersible lights will be an eyesore unless you conceal it and stuff.
Old 12th February 2016, 19:32   #289
BHPian

Quote:
Meant for us You would need to get a stool or something stand on it and then bend or you would need to long tools. Hassle eitherways unless you are really tall. I'm 6' and i struggle to reach the bottom of the tank.
No worries. I will manage and go for 24". Only concern was that it should not look odd, i.e. extra tall but I think it will look nice.

Quote:
Please read up if live plants and goldies are a good option.

Submersible lights will be an eyesore unless you conceal it and stuff.
Yes I read that goldfish eat the plants and also uproot them from gravel. Only the fast growing plants are able to survive in a goldfish tank. I am thinking of Java Fern tied to a big stone.

I agree on the submersible lights. Does the blue or pink colour make a difference to plants and fishes? I think yes. I guess white (or as close to sunlight) light would be better. What lighting are you using in your setup?

Last edited by swift_guy : 12th February 2016 at 19:35.
Old 12th February 2016, 20:39   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No worries. I will manage and go for 24". Only concern was that it should not look odd, i.e. extra tall but I think it will look nice.

Yes I read that goldfish eat the plants and also uproot them from gravel. Only the fast growing plants are able to survive in a goldfish tank. I am thinking of Java Fern tied to a big stone.

I agree on the submersible lights. Does the blue or pink colour make a difference to plants and fishes? I think yes. I guess white (or as close to sunlight) light would be better. What lighting are you using in your setup?
Jave Fern should they not be tied to wood?

Please avoid pink lights. They give a very un-natural vibe to the tank. Warm white is preferred or white.

I don't have plants in mine so i use white leds and a few blue ones at night. But my datnoids don't like it all that much so just using a small light in one corner for now.
Old 13th February 2016, 10:27   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Jave Fern should they not be tied to wood?
Yes, same thing. I am confused whether to go for driftwood or big stone-like structures (like TorqueyTechie has, post #262) or artificial toys (like hut structure) for decoration. What would look nice with Java Fern and goldfish?

For aquarium base, I will be getting sand instead of gravel (or stone chips) as goldfish tend to swallow gravel while digging around. Is there any online source to order aquarium-specific sand? Will sand get sucked up in the canister filter? I will also be using a basic cheap sponge filter as a backup, so will it suck up the sand?
Old 13th February 2016, 10:38   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, same thing. I am confused whether to go for driftwood or big stone-like structures (like TorqueyTechie has, post #262) or artificial toys (like hut structure) for decoration. What would look nice with Java Fern and goldfish?

For aquarium base, I will be getting sand instead of gravel (or stone chips) as goldfish tend to swallow gravel while digging around. Is there any online source to order aquarium-specific sand? Will sand get sucked up in the canister filter? I will also be using a basic cheap sponge filter as a backup, so will it suck up the sand?
Again try and avoid artificial decorations like ships, huts and stuff. Artificial plants of good quality will help.

As for stones or wood, well that's upto you. Do a google image search of goldfish tanks to get an idea.

For aquarium sand you can try JBL manado, JBL Sansibar black/river/white or caribsea sunset gold. 10KGs would be around 1500-2500.

Sand can get into the filter impeller and can damage them. Just ensure you don't run the filters soon as you do a water change. Allow the sand to settle down first.
Old 13th February 2016, 11:06   #293
BHPian

Quote:
For aquarium sand you can try JBL manado, JBL Sansibar black/river/white or caribsea sunset gold. 10KGs would be around 1500-2500.
How much would I need?

And I would be going for plants which will grow without the nutrient layer at the bottom. Java Fern is of that type, right? Or should I go for artificial only?
Old 13th February 2016, 11:29   #294
Senior - BHPian

Not sure but 20-30 i think if you want a good thick 2" layer of sand.
Old 13th February 2016, 20:15   #295
Senior - BHPian

Folks, need couple of suggestions for my tank.

1. What would be the kit that I should use to test ph, ammonia levels in water? And what should I do to set it at the right level for the tank?

2. I would need a siphon filter (albeit temporarily) for cleaning the tank bed. There is lot of dirt buildup and need to clean it up till I buy a canister filter. Any good but not expensive suggestion please?
Old 13th February 2016, 21:08   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
Folks, need couple of suggestions for my tank.

1. What would be the kit that I should use to test ph, ammonia levels in water? And what should I do to set it at the right level for the tank?

2. I would need a siphon filter (albeit temporarily) for cleaning the tank bed. There is lot of dirt buildup and need to clean it up till I buy a canister filter. Any good but not expensive suggestion please?
1) http://www.ebay.in/itm/like/20120553...ource=Sok-Goog

2) any gravel siphon will do.
Old 14th February 2016, 12:01   #297
BHPian

Couple of new fishes added(Shop owner said Red Oscar, and round bodied Texas - not sure ) ... Oscar with nipped fins is still hanging around.

Placed slabs of stones, a piece of driftwood and made some hiding places.

With no space for external filter, I am using 2 feet long internal filter(1800L/hr), dual output air pump, and a Hang-On filter with media(1600L/hr)

My Fishkeeping hobby-1.jpg

My Fishkeeping hobby-2.jpg

My Fishkeeping hobby-3.jpg

My Fishkeeping hobby-4.jpg
Old 14th February 2016, 12:46   #298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptaneja View Post

With no space for external filter, I am using 2 feet long internal filter(1800L/hr), dual output air pump, and a Hang-On filter with media(1600L/hr)

Attachment 1476246

Attachment 1476247

Attachment 1476248

Attachment 1476249
How much did you pay for the hang on filter? Somehow its output is too much and I did not understand the use for the semi transparent tube that sits inside the filter outside of the pump.
Old 14th February 2016, 17:32   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
How much did you pay for the hang on filter? Somehow its output is too much and I did not understand the use for the semi transparent tube that sits inside the filter outside of the pump.
This semi transparent tube adjusts the amount of water intake...the more you move it down, the less water will be sucked in. I think the output should be OK if we consider the size of the tank ! Costed about 850.
Old 24th February 2016, 08:40   #300
BHPian

Quote:
shall take a few pics next time i go there he's called Blaze
Waiting to see pic of your Blaze.

In the mean time, here is mine, I call him Flash.

I have fed him Live fish (once), Prawn slices, Dry Shrimps, Hikari sticks, AR G1 sticks, etc, in order of his preference.

His current favorite is prawns (bought from regular fish-meat stores) and when I come to feed him he come running to my end and gulp the slices. He doesn't like dry sticks, but I make sure that the sticks are inserted in the prawns slices and he doesn't realize eating them. but recently he learnt about my trick and spits out the sticks from the last few pieces I give.

I sometimes feel like he is starting to recognize us and listen in when we call him 'FLASH'.
Attached Thumbnails
My Fishkeeping hobby-img_20160207_110401.jpg  

My Fishkeeping hobby-img_2492.jpg  

My Fishkeeping hobby-img_20160222_120634.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks