Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2009, 18:54   #76
Senior - BHPian

Yes I dont think there is/was a single Indian composer ever for movies who has given cent percent original compositions.

But then more than half of the US/UK artist become hit after doing their own versions of someone else's songs. Some of them have been such a hit that people often think that these are original ones e.g. lot of people think "Nothing's Gonna Change My Love for You" was originally sung by Glenn Medeiros which is not the case.
Old 23rd September 2009, 00:32   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Yes I dont think there is/was a single Indian composer ever for movies who has given cent percent original compositions.

But then more than half of the US/UK artist become hit after doing their own versions of someone else's songs. Some of them have been such a hit that people often think that these are original ones e.g. lot of people think "Nothing's Gonna Change My Love for You" was originally sung by Glenn Medeiros which is not the case.
Problem here is that they do not admit they have copied it until someone catches them. I so much thought that 'pehli najar was an original' I thought after so many years some one has made a beautiful song out of nowhere. i really started liking hindi stuff, untill i i was proved otherwise.

many have read the following article i guess. (PS: Zoom to read)
How good our Hindi music is? Discuss copies and originals here-hindustantimes_16jun09.jpg
Old 23rd September 2009, 11:13   #78
Senior - BHPian

Yes Pritam takes the Crown, he beats the likes of Anu Malik, Anand-Milind, Bappi Lahiri etc etc by a few planets

But then at the end of the day we get to listen to some nice songs(exposure to world Music ) & that's why neither the producers nor the Junta cares
Old 23rd September 2009, 11:40   #79
BHPian

Inspiration vs copying

This is an interesting thread.

I would consider songs like "Dil mera churaya kyon" by anu Malik for Akele Hum Akele Tum as blatant copies.

There were quite a few copies in the 60's as well. But I have heard interviews where film and music directors clearly accepted it and said that Beatles had such an effect that Shammi Kapoor even dressed up like them for songs (in films like An Evening in Paris, Brahmachari, et al). Even Raj Kapoor's movies have a common theme music played on violin. He has given a credit on screen for it to a Western Classical music note (he says this to Nargis in the film Barsat when she asks where he learnt this haunting tune from).

Even Salil Chaudhri said that he liked a Hungarian folk song so much that he used it for the song "Dil Tadap Tadap ke" in Madhumati.

Falling in love with a certain note or a song and reproducing it is not plagiarism, especially when you extend the credit for the same. Churning out music after listening to some CDs certainly is. That is what people like Pritam, Rajesh Roshan, Anu Malik are into.

But that doesn't take anything away from greats like SD Bruman, Naushad, Jaidev, Ilayaraja. The Indian basis for composing songs are not preferred anymore by anyone. Why then are we blaming the music composers for this? Will a song like those in the film Pakeezah find favour with the iPod generation today?
Old 23rd September 2009, 12:07   #80
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone know the source for the guitar prelude in AR Rahman's "Ae bacchoo.." in Ghajini ? Heard this in a ad for a radio station featuring songs from AC/DC etc., while abroad.
Old 23rd September 2009, 12:17   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Falling in love with a certain note or a song and reproducing it is not plagiarism, especially when you extend the credit for the same. Churning out music after listening to some CDs certainly is. That is what people like Pritam, Rajesh Roshan, Anu Malik are into.
I am not sure how many oldies actually gave official credits, also copying a song just for the heck of it or becasue you like it is still plagiarism unless rights are bought. I have heard that pritam does buy a few copyrights.

I wouldnt put Anu malik in same category as Pritam & Rajesh Roshan because you also need to consider how many compositions a composer have composed & out of that how many have been copies. Anu Malik has been giving music for roughly 20+ years now & even if copied 100 songs out of a 1000 its still a small number unlike Pritam's

You also need to keep in mind that even if copyrights are bought it still shows lack of creativity for creating new compositions & this is very common in west too, we have bands like Boyzone who hardly sang any original song, yes almost 90% if not more of their songs were cover versions but we dont seem to mind it.
Old 23rd September 2009, 14:47   #82
Senior - BHPian

The same guy who won an Oscar for Slumdog Millionaire has now been associated with the recent Kylie Minogue song in Blue. Is that true.
Old 23rd September 2009, 18:06   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Does anyone know the source for the guitar prelude in AR Rahman's "Ae bacchoo.." in Ghajini ? Heard this in a ad for a radio station featuring songs from AC/DC etc., while abroad.
I dont know exactly which song you are referring to, but there is one song in Ghajini parts of which seems to have slight similarity with AC/DCs Back in Black's riffs.
Old 28th September 2009, 17:37   #84
BHPian

Latest is Radio by Himesh Reshammiya. He copied from "I Want You", the first song & video of Savage Garden. And the director got so inspired, that he copied the video as well. Check out the promos.
Old 29th September 2009, 00:56   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelwriter View Post
Even Salil Chaudhri said that he liked a Hungarian folk song so much that he used it for the song "Dil Tadap Tadap ke" in Madhumati ... Falling in love with a certain note or a song and reproducing it is not plagiarism, especially when you extend the credit for the same.
Did Salil Chowdhury give due credit? Good for him! By the way, the original is a Polish (not Hungarian) folk song that goes "Szla dzieweczka do laseczka". There are plenty of versions on YouTube, including the following from a 1949 gramaphone record:
Old 30th October 2010, 15:16   #86
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Most of the song that were super hit with Emraan in it were done by Pritam who is famous for lifting songs.
Are there any music directors who don't lift songs. Only diff is how much they lift, part of it or whole of it.
Old 30th October 2010, 17:40   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Are there any music directors who don't lift songs. Only diff is how much they lift, part of it or whole of it.
I do know of a certain Himesh Reshammiya who hasn't. I think even A.R.Rahman too doesn't lift.

Influence is one thing and lifting is another. Pritam lifts whole songs/partial songs from various places, atleast others don't do that. Another popular MD - Anu Malik is notorious too. And they don't even give credit where its due.
Old 7th November 2010, 00:34   #88
BANNED

Quote:
I think even A.R.Rahman too doesn't lift.
Rahman lifts in a very different way. He doesn't life whole songs. He totally copies 15-30 second sequences which become part of a song which is otherwise original.

For eg. Watch the movie "French Kiss". Kevin Kline & Meg Ryan are in a picnic with Kline's family. Now Kline opens the gate & goes out to check Meg Ryan's purse. There is a background music playing from the time he opens the gate & walks towards Ryan's purse & looks though it.
This background music is 100% identical to the opening strain of Masakali from Dilli6.

There are several such copies by Rehman in his other background music/songs.
Old 7th November 2010, 12:08   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Rahman lifts in a very different way. He doesn't life whole songs. He totally copies 15-30 second sequences which become part of a song which is otherwise original.

For eg. Watch the movie "French Kiss". Kevin Kline & Meg Ryan are in a picnic with Kline's family. Now Kline opens the gate & goes out to check Meg Ryan's purse. There is a background music playing from the time he opens the gate & walks towards Ryan's purse & looks though it.
This background music is 100% identical to the opening strain of Masakali from Dilli6.

There are several such copies by Rehman in his other background music/songs.
I won't say it lifting, i would say its inspiration. While i haven't heard the bgd score of the movie you are saying, i did hear masakalli and if you are referring to the music starting at 0.12 seconds, i would say it has close to 4-5 instruments playing at same time and i don't know which one you are referring to, but the music coming of the 'matlas' is more used in Sufi and Northern India songs. Taking one or two notes of instruments is alright as this happens in many scores throughout the world but lifting whole songs is heights.

If you hear the new song - Cry Cry from movie Jootha hi sahi, in the starting it has African Drum beats, now if you hear african songs, you are bound to get similarity, but that doesn't mean he lift it. Its inspiration.

Obviously, i am no music guru, neither can i explain all these in depth. This is what i feel, you can give it the term 'copy' if you want to, but i won't.

Last edited by chevelle : 7th November 2010 at 12:11.
Old 8th November 2010, 15:28   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think even A.R.Rahman too doesn't lift.
A R Rehman has lifted chunks of music from Dr Alban's album - Its my life, for the music of the movie - Humse hai muqabla starring Prabhu Deva.

And its not the subtle inspiration type lifting, it is proper copying type. (Though not in the same league as Anu Malik and Pritam)

Rohan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks