Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2010, 16:30   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
A R Rehman has lifted chunks of music from Dr Alban's album - Its my life, for the music of the movie - Humse hai muqabla starring Prabhu Deva.

And its not the subtle inspiration type lifting, it is proper copying type. (Though not in the same league as Anu Malik and Pritam)

Rohan
Anu Malik and Pritam lifts songs - read words along with music and they don't give credit to the singers/writers/music directors. The recent one that i can think of were songs - Adat and Kaho na Kaho.

For Humse hai muqabla, are you talking about the song Urvashi or Muqabla? Because its my life is very different from both these song. I haven't heard any other song from that movie. Please enlighten.
Old 9th November 2010, 01:09   #92
Senior - BHPian

Himesh - The title song for Karz was a copy of song called Punjab by Karunesh. Another song was Oh Priya which was copy of carlos santana's song

A.R. - Shakalaka Baby song has lot of inspiration from one of Trilok Gurtu's fusion tracks, at one point you cant even make out which song it is.

So yes every Music Composer/Director in India copies & have copied songs/tunes.
Old 9th November 2010, 04:03   #93
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I won't say it lifting, i would say its inspiration.
What I am talking about is pure lifting, not inspiration. A very short chunk, but it is lifting. It's so identical that sometimes I feel it may not even be recreated but just cut from French Kiss & prepended to Masakali.
There are a lot more similiar examples for Rehman.

In short, every one from Burman to Rehman lifts, what differs is how much & how.
Old 9th November 2010, 10:12   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Anu Malik and Pritam lifts songs - read words along with music and they don't give credit to the singers/writers/music directors. The recent one that i can think of were songs - Adat and Kaho na Kaho.

For Humse hai muqabla, are you talking about the song Urvashi or Muqabla? Because its my life is very different from both these song. I haven't heard any other song from that movie. Please enlighten.
Like I mentioned in my previous post, I do agree that Anu Malik and Pritam have copied whole songs shamelessly without giving credit to the original.

A.R. Rehman, on the other hand, has not copied the actual tunes of the songs, but has lifted small chunks of music which is played between 2 stanzas of a song. IIRC, the song was "Patti Rap" from Humse hai Muqabla, in which some small chunk of music was lifted from Dr. Alban's album - Its my life.

Rohan
Old 29th September 2012, 21:28   #95
BHPian

Re: How good our Hindi music is? Discuss copies and originals here

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
The best music I still find is the music of 70's and 80's.

Boss Kaun hai, maaalum hai kya?
Reviving this old thread. Huh, I didn't see anybody correctly identifying Boss . Though there were quite a no. of tunes which inspired him to make some of his most beautiful songs while a few were direct copies. I could list them if someone wants.

Quote:
What about that song from Khoon Bhari Taang? Starring Rekha.
This post by Yeti invariably brought a smile on my face. Was the typo intentional? Who knows? A lot of BHPians will find many reasons to smile and remember Sam as they bump into his threads and posts on TBHP. RIP big man.

By the way the correct name of the movie is Khoon Bhari Maang though there was some Khoon Bhari Taang involved in the movie .
Old 4th October 2012, 21:08   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

I have never see this thread till today. Funny how Team-BHP seems to have a thread for every mood!

My biggest disappointment was finding out that the Jo Jeeta Woh Sikandar soundtrack was plagiarised, notably "Woh Sikandar Hee..." ripped off from The Who's Pinball Wizard. I got into The Who very late- last year of college or so- and by then had internalised the Jatin-Lalit track, so it was a rude shock.

There are any number of cases of such wholesale theft in the Hindi film industry. Latest was Pritam's Barfi (or should we say Anurag Basu's Barfi- the whole movie was a pastiche of "inspirations")- I liked the music but felt increidbly sheepish listening to it since it is probably completely lifted from elsewhere.

Someone rightly said: In Bollywood there is good music and there is original music. But the problem is: what is original isn't good and what is good isn't original!
Old 4th October 2012, 21:41   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

What about "humko tumse pyaar hai", from Ishq and Rage's "sleep now in the fire" entry?
Old 4th October 2012, 21:53   #98
BHPian

I haven't gone through the thread but here are two I found.

Mere rang mein - Maine pyaar kiya; Final Countdown.
Khabar nahi (starting) - Dostana; Good Riddance - Green day.
Old 5th October 2012, 05:19   #99

Haven't gone through all the pages of this thread and I'm sure someone must've listed this, but a copied song that petrolheads hear all the time in the form of reverse tone of cars is 'Sochna Kya Jo Bhi Hoga Dekha Jayega' from Ghatak which is a copy of Lambada by Neoton Familia.

Also, Pretty Women in Kal Ho Na Ho is a blatant copy of Pretty Women by Roy Orbison.
Old 5th October 2012, 06:35   #100
BANNED

Exhaustive list - http://www.itwofs.com/
Old 5th October 2012, 10:25   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Phoenix View Post
Also, Pretty Women in Kal Ho Na Ho is a blatant copy of Pretty Women by Roy Orbison.
This song was not copied. Proper permission was obtained before using the track.
Old 5th October 2012, 13:54   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Exhaustive list - http://www.itwofs.com/
Oh boy carboy, that is pretty horrific list! And I am shocked to see RD, SD also featuring in this list.

Hope Amit Trivedi, Sneha Khanwalkar and Ram Sampath stays out.
Old 5th October 2012, 20:52   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Phoenix View Post

This song was not copied. Proper permission was obtained before using the track.
Exactly & frankly I think apart from the Title 'Pretty Women' there was nothing else in common.

Also lets not count song for which copyrights were obtained by the Priducers for the composers.

The whole of west just keeps recreating old songs after getting the rights. e.g. most, if not all, Songs from the old Boy band Boyzone were old songs, they rarely created any new song.
Old 6th October 2012, 07:58   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

^^There is a clear difference between a cover version- your interpretation of another person's creation, with due credit given and royalties shared- and a rip-off.

Most people associate "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" with Guns N Roses, for example. Or "Cocaine" with Eric Clapton. Both are cover versions- Bob Dylan and JJ Cale respectively. But nobody would accuse either GnR or Clapton of plagiarism because these were authorised cover versions, that just happened to get more popular than the original songs. Ditto Boyzone who have covered everyone from Cat Stevens (Father & Son) to Bee Gees (Words).

Pretty Woman from Kal Ho Na Ho is one of those weird songs which is purportedly a cover (rights bought and everything) but is actually not. Apart from the main riff (more or less) and the "Pretty Woman..." part of the lyric, it is as techno says, a completely different song.

Bollywood is strange
Old 6th October 2012, 09:06   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_sinha

Oh boy carboy, that is pretty horrific list! And I am shocked to see RD, SD also featuring in this list.

Hope Amit Trivedi, Sneha Khanwalkar and Ram Sampath stays out.
Come on, RD was the biggest rip off ever. Makes Annu Mallik seem like an amateur

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks