Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2008, 18:44   #406
Senior - BHPian

Right Maddy. These shops are open on other days too but they all shut down by latest 10ish. Try on any other day as well. Equally good.

I went to the Good Earth Cafe the other day. Situated on the first floor of the Good Earth Store at Raghuvanshi Mills, they serve very good food. One of the best Ceaser's Salad I have eaten in a long long time. The Lettuce is ice cold and they use even Iceberg lettuce in it (people would argue that in the original Ceaser's Salad, only limp ordinary lettuce is to be used but thats debatable). Even the food is great but portions are small. Nice place to hang out for lunch.

BTW, the worst places to eat Ceaser's salad are Olive and Indigo Deli. Absolutely horrible, oily and can see no dressing.
Old 16th December 2008, 20:55   #407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I went to the Good Earth Cafe the other day. Situated on the first floor of the Good Earth Store at Raghuvanshi Mills, they serve very good food. One of the best Ceaser's Salad I have eaten in a long long time. The Lettuce is ice cold and they use even Iceberg lettuce in it (people would argue that in the original Ceaser's Salad, only limp ordinary lettuce is to be used but thats debatable). Even the food is great but portions are small. Nice place to hang out for lunch.
I went there today and really liked the place. I had a grillled chicken and my friend had a teriyaki chicken - both very good. Their Irish Bailey's torte wasn't bad either and I think I may like it a little more than Churchill. The food was pretty reasonably priced and the service and ambiance was pretty good.
Old 17th December 2008, 14:29   #408
Senior - BHPian

Also a worth try is the Mocambo Cafe at Fort. Its the old Cafe Mocambo now taken over by the guys who run Cafe Churchill. The food is really earthy good and comfort food for me. Enjoy food with a glass of draught.

Prices are reasonable, service is great and the food is no nonsense. Especially the portion size is quite large so will satisfy the bog eaters and will be good enough for two, if you are a small eater like my wife. Loved the Steak and the Lasagne with sausage and bacon.

A large selection of desserts like Churchill and a very disappointing Caramel custard.

On the whole a good experience.
Old 18th December 2008, 13:30   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
Day before yesterday was at Goa Portuguese,food was crap but really enjoyed an ice cream(Paan flavour ) it tastes exactly like a mittha paan with gulcand and a few paan pieces mixed with the ice cream.Any other place we can get this ice cream
A little late for an reply but the gelato on carter road serves a deadly paan flavour gelato.
Old 8th January 2009, 01:52   #410
Senior - BHPian

I guess this is old news now but Rahul Akerkar of Indigo is setting up a fine dining restaurant near the race course. I believe it was supposed to open in 2008 itself but has been pushed to Feb-March 2009. That should be something to really look forward to.
Old 10th January 2009, 12:39   #411
Senior - BHPian

Banana Leaf

Very rarely do I allow myself to be dragged to a 'veg-only' place for dinner on a fine Friday night. Yesterday was one such day, and I reluctantly went all the way across town to a restaurant called "Banana Leaf" (defined as a vegeterian fine dining restaurant) on Juhu-Versova link road for a 'tasting' event.

The place is on JVLR towards the Versova end, after the right turn for 4 bungalows, and diagonally opposite the petrol pump.

The food is South Indian, the menu is vast. Every possible variation of the typical south indian dishes possible is on the menu.

We started off with what was described as a deep fried rice pancake. It was absolutely delicious. Next came a flurry of dosas, uthappas, bhajjis etc. with a side of rasam. All of it was very good except for the rasam and a glass of butter milk that followed later, both of which had way too much salt.

For an airconditioned joint with good ambience and great service, I didn't think the prices were very high either, i.e. in the range of about Rs. 50-120/- per serving. And the servings themselves were humongous. Service was quick though the 100-odd seating restaurant was packed to the gills.

Banana Leaf is owned by the same guys as Mahesh Lunch home. I would think it'll do very well. All the veggie lovers ought to give it a try.
Old 10th January 2009, 13:22   #412
BHPian

Had been to The famous Yazdani Bakery at Fort yesterday, loved the smacking hot Apple Pie with Chai (tea) Bun maska Wow Wow Wow. Also took some Ginger Biscuits home.
Old 10th January 2009, 13:40   #413
Senior - BHPian

Shree Thaakar Bhojnalaya Revisited... 2X

A little but nevertheless, Ajay, if you happen to go to Singapore and are in the Serangoon Road area close to the legendary "Mohd. Mustafa" superstore, ask for a restaurant of the same name (Banana Leaf). That i assure you is all of non vegetarian South Indian fare, served on banana leaves, which you will relish. (I did)

Coming back to Bombay, last week i visited "Shri Thaakar Bhojnalaya" as differentiated from "Thakker's".

The restaurant was a no frills, fiercely popular, Gujju thali restaurant till recent years when a family feud forced them to shut shop for a few months and from the ashes, arose a small air conditioned place called "Gautam", probably named after the young owner, from the same family. The food at Gautam's was pathetic. I swore never to go there again.

Recently, i was in the vicinity, and had heard that Shree Thaakar Bhojnalaya had resurfaced at the same old place. Being a Die hard fan of the old place, I decided to visit it, again, with a friend from Gujrat in tow.

Where is it?

You enter Princess Street from Marine Lines side (take a left to Princess St.) and then take another left at the signal, turning left after the Agiary opp Parsee Dairy Farm. Then you go straight on that one way (except for BEST buses) till you come to Dady Seth Agiaty Street on your right, again a one way street. Enter the street and almost at the end of the street, where it cirves to the right, you will see a board on your right displaying the name in Gujrati, Devnagri and English. If you get lost, just ask for the place in this lane.

During its previous avatar, one had to take a token on the ground floor and wait till you were called. Now one can walk in straight on the 1st floor. The new place is air conditioned and is almost half the size of what it used to be, which is still large. You are greeted by a man at the entrance itself, where you have to pay for your thali. it costs a mere Rs. 130/- per person.

You are handed over a colour coded token which you place on your table. That is the cue to the server, whether you have paid for the sweets or not. We decided to look at the sweet first and then pay at the table (it is allowed and suggested by me that one does this) I did this because when asked what sweets were there, he churned out unheard of names sounding more like Bollywood actresses than sweets (though some actresses are sweet too,in their own sweet way). "Today's pesial is Indrani, Ras Madhuri, and Silk Rani Basundi" he churned out. Now you know why i deceide to see the sweet first.

The restaurant is as spick and span as it were in its non air conditioned days and the food was back to its fantastic old self. In one word Yummy!! Something in the name i guess. I will not spell out the dishes as they change everyday but let me tell you that this was and remains, one of my favourite places to eat a Gujju thali. Try it, its great quality food at a great value.

Go there with a chauffeur as parking is a nightmare.... in the day.
Old 10th January 2009, 13:54   #414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16
A little but nevertheless, Ajay, if you happen to go to Singapore and are in the Serangoon Road area close to the legendary "Mohd. Mustafa" superstore, ask for a restaurant of the same name (Banana Leaf). That i assure you is all of non vegetarian South Indian fare, served on banana leaves, which you will relish. (I did)
Whenever abroad, I try and indulge in the local cuisine as much as possible. So although I have been to Little India, M. Mustafa, etc. I must have surely given it a pass. Will still keep in mind for the next time. thanks.

Which South Indian thaali joint is your favorite in Mumbai? I have not discovered anything that can surpass the Rama Nayak's boarding adjacent to Matunga railway station on the first floor. Although I haven't eaten there for a while, I still have fond memories.

Quote:
Coming back to Bombay, last week i visited "Shri Thaakar Bhojnalaya" as differentiated from "Thakker's"..
.. Try it, its great quality food at a great value.
That is really killer news. Ate there quite often when much younger. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 10th January 2009, 15:33   #415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Whenever abroad, I try and indulge in the local cuisine as much as possible. So although I have been to Little India, M. Mustafa, etc. I must have surely given it a pass.
But Ajay "Sirji" South Indian cuisine is the local cuisine in the Little India area

Quote:
Which South Indian thaali joint is your favorite in Mumbai? I have not discovered anything that can surpass the Rama Nayak's boarding adjacent to Matunga railway station on the first floor. Although I haven't eaten there for a while, I still have fond memories.
Ditto Ajay, though the prasad food they serve at the GSB Ganpaty Mandal during the Ganpaty pooja (near SNDT College Matuga) is close (as it is also managed and prepared by the cooks from the same place).
I too think that the RN Boarding is a great place to eat South Indian Thali though not eaten there for a long time too. I have heard a lot about Sunder's Mahabhoj at Matunga opp Snow point, near Ruia College, but still not tried it.

Quote:
That is really killer news. Ate there quite often when much younger. Thanks for the heads up!
Let me know when you are going, i would be glad to join you there, if its ok with you.

Last edited by V-16 : 10th January 2009 at 15:34.
Old 10th January 2009, 16:07   #416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have heard a lot about Sunder's Mahabhoj at Matunga opp Snow point, near Ruia College, but still not tried it.
No match for Rama Nayaks. Absolutely plain at best.

Quote:
Let me know when you are going, i would be glad to join you there, if its ok with you.
Hahaha. That was funny. Anyway, since you've already roused my taste buds, I suggest we do it the coming week itself. Lets have someone like Jiggy along so that he can give us a "guided tour" of gujju food.
Old 10th January 2009, 16:21   #417
BHPian

For those guys who love a piece of "surmai" or "pomfret" with their beer.. trust me guys nothing better than Apoorva in Fort. It is in the lane adjacent to Mahesh, the tandoori crabs at somewhere near Rs. 200/- a plate are too good to pass.

Ambience is good... not very upmarket, but frequented by the film fraternity too.

For the ones who work for a living and do not have a driver , Sandeep on Panch Raasta Mulund serves .. the best "Kane" I have ever tried.

A word of caution Sandeep is a well known watering hole for those who have a drinking problem.

Cheers!!
Old 10th January 2009, 16:38   #418
Senior - BHPian

ive been to Rama Nayak's and Mahabhoj and I must vouch for the simplicity and purity of the simple yet sumptious food of Rama Nayaks!
a few places that are on the top of my list:
1. Anantashram: Khotachi Wadi: Feels like walking into a maharashtrian home! the food is mind blowing, to say the least. ive had oyster, chicken, prawns, fish and mutton, all served in typical malwani style. the fried stuff is to die for and the sukka's(gravies) make one keep coming back for more!

2. Mohamedali Road, Saifee Ambulance Lane has a Quaint restaurant(more like a rekdi) called Hindustan Hotel. You would faint looking at the place, but it serves the best muslim style mutton and chicken sandwich, mutton and chicken roll, baida bhuna, baida roti, bheja masala and masala aloo! these are like the most delectable dishes i binge on, when i here.

3. Noor Mohammedi at Mohammedali road: The best achaari murg and nalli nahari! there's killer white biryani and an interesting concoction made by sanjay dutt himself, called Chicken Sanju Baba! the seekh kabab, tangdi kabab, badey ke kabab and the pulao are to die for. they have HUGE yummy naans that taste heavenly when hot and like old shoes when cold! thats what you get for 3 rupees a Naan!!!!!

4. Bharat Excellensea, Fort: Killer Prawns and Fish Gassi. their Bombay duck wrapped prawns are melt in the mouth types, and they are one of the few places that serve up good cocktails with the food!

more coming up soon.......
typed so much about food that im salivating now and getting a snack for myself!!
Old 10th January 2009, 16:46   #419
Senior - BHPian

Had been to Gazalee yesterday afternoon at their MIDC Andheri branch.

I tried ordering for Special friday kheema - unavailble.
I tried ordering chicken masala and ghavne / appams - ghavne and appams unavailable.

Had to settle for surmai fry and chicken masala and chappati.

They were running short of items as gas supply was disturbed.
Old 10th January 2009, 17:53   #420

I have had the South Indian Thali at Banana Leaf. With the Bisi bele. Just short of superb!
Very well priced too, Bass&Trouble, good south Indian food this side of town.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks