Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2009, 00:16   #451
Senior - BHPian

beef chilly at Cafe Leopold. THE best in town!!!!!!!
Old 14th January 2009, 02:42   #452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post

Actually situated in the strand cinema lane parallel to the main road. The Sausage Chilli fry is to die for. I went there a long while ago. Does it still have that quaint sofa partitions? For good Goan food try City Kitchen on the same road, quite ahead of Excellensea.

I tried the steak there once and was a little disapointed. I think Ill try the Sausage Chilli Fry the next time I'm there.
Old 14th January 2009, 15:49   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Actually situated in the strand cinema lane parallel to the main road. The Sausage Chilli fry is to die for. I went there a long while ago. Does it still have that quaint sofa partitions? For good Goan food try City Kitchen on the same road, quite ahead of Excellensea.

I used to go regularly to a City Kitchen in Ballard Estate, I think situated next to Cafe Universal. It used to be excellent, cheap goan food and clean, quiet affair. Are you referring to the same place?
Old 14th January 2009, 16:37   #454
Senior - BHPian

Tried Bagdadi after a long time, and i was completely letdown. The quality of food has deteriorated bigtime. Wonder where are those delicious butter chicken, biryani and tikkas dissappeared.
1/5.
Old 14th January 2009, 17:22   #455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
ive had oyster, chicken, prawns, fish and mutton, all served in typical malwani style. ...it serves the best muslim style mutton and chicken sandwich, mutton and chicken roll, baida bhuna, baida roti, bheja masala and masala aloo! .....The best achaari murg and nalli nahari! there's killer white biryani and an interesting concoction made by sanjay dutt himself, called Chicken Sanju Baba! the seekh kabab, tangdi kabab, badey ke kabab and the pulao are to die for. .....Killer Prawns and Fish Gassi. their Bombay duck wrapped prawns are melt in the mouth
For a dhokla, I must say you are quite the Christopher Columbus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
went to ovenfresh @ shivaji park after a very long time, its gotten bigger (in choice of cuisine) and better, excellento food.
I've stopped going to that place ever since they turned pure veg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
The coffee shop at Maratha also surprisingly makes some pretty good pizza - not a bad idea to head over before checking in or while waiting for a delayed flight. Mangi Ferra in Juhu was highly reccomended by a friend for their woodfired pizza but it certainly didn't live up to the hype -
True, the Maratha coffe shop has some decent pizzas. And around that time of the night usually I'm not complaining. Mangi Ferra makes some nice pizzas too. I'm surprised you had a bad experience.
Old 14th January 2009, 17:29   #456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
]

True, the Maratha coffe shop has some decent pizzas. And around that time of the night usually I'm not complaining. Mangi Ferra makes some nice pizzas too. I'm surprised you had a bad experience.
'

The food was definitely not bad but it was nothing too great either.
Old 14th January 2009, 17:49   #457
BHPian

Can you pls suggest a good place around colaba area to have afternnon lunch or dinner for a couple. Just need to spend some quality time with hubby on a firday.
Old 14th January 2009, 19:33   #458
Senior - BHPian

1. Cafe basilico
2. Barissta Creme
3. Moshe at Cuffe Parade
4. Santoor at Cuffe Parade

these are all places where you can chill with your partners for lazy lunches
Old 14th January 2009, 19:52   #459
Senior - BHPian

Just had some super oily but really tasty prawn papad from Goa Portugesa.
Old 14th January 2009, 20:54   #460
Senior - BHPian

God Damn you Frank....Youve got me hungry....yet again!!

Talking about places that serve late night non veg food and not shady as well as not pricey, you have only one choice. Zafran at Crawford MArket.

Great food (at least some of it)
The raan is a speciality here. You get a Raan Tandoori, a Raan Mussalam,( which they claim is meant for two but easily can be eaten by four) and a Raan Biryani.
Then again Nali Nihari, and your favourite Chelo Kebab. This is the best place to get the Indian version of the Chelo. Better than anywhere I have eaten and I have eaten at Copper Chimney and Picadilly.

Quote:
But this one kicks all the other Nooranis' A** and churns them to lassi, and then converts them to Rabdi :-p
Thats the funniest thing ive heard. still sounds yummy to me.

Re the Mings place, well i had visited it when it started earlier on Colaba causeway and is spread round two floors but was owned by a Muslim gentleman so no booze and pork, what i consider essentials for a Chinese meal (IMHO). I was in the area today and could not find it.
or again didi you mean Ling's Pavillion??

Quote:
@ Gogi: I have heard a lot about the stuffed omlette at Mocambos which is apparently filled with bacon, sauges etc and served with toast. I've heard its to die for.

I want to visit Cafe Mocambo for the steaks and the Omlettes . Any one up for a meet of this sorts sometime? What say Gogi?
Well its just an overstuffed omelette, but just as delicious as their other food

Quote:
beef chilly at Cafe Leopold. THE best in town!!!!!!!
Is it. I ordered it the last time and got huge chunks of badly cut half cooked piece in chilly sauce. Maybe not their day. For really good beef hot garlic (may be they make the chilly variety too) go to Mondegar, anyways I think that their food is better than Leo's. I love both places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
I tried the steak there once and was a little disapointed. I think Ill try the Sausage Chilli Fry the next time I'm there.
Advice. Boss stick to the main hard core goan dishes. You will never go wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
I used to go regularly to a City Kitchen in Ballard Estate, I think situated next to Cafe Universal. It used to be excellent, cheap goan food and clean, quiet affair. Are you referring to the same place?
Thats the same place bro and nothings changed

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Machine View Post
Tried Bagdadi after a long time, and i was completely letdown. The quality of food has deteriorated bigtime. Wonder where are those delicious butter chicken, biryani and tikkas disappeared.
1/5.
well they real food muast have shifted with its previous owner now runnig a restaurant somewhere in the deep suburbs, Malad i think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaa45 View Post
Can you pls suggest a good place around colaba area to have afternnon lunch or dinner for a couple. Just need to spend some quality time with hubby on a firday.
Manaa, for your motive, go to Basilico. Its small, cozy and relatively empty during the day. Another place you will find relatively deserted is the old Cafe Royal which is im told called Cinnamon or something. The food is regularly good and very reasonable with giid sized portions. P.S. Try their steak in a Bun. Amazing!!

@ Dippy, Arpan and all the other willing candidates Lets get together like last time and go for it.

Last edited by V-16 : 14th January 2009 at 21:07.
Old 15th January 2009, 11:06   #461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@ Dippy, Arpan and all the other willing candidates Lets get together like last time and go for it.
Me in too this time - lets just do it !! Next week ?
Old 15th January 2009, 13:47   #462
Senior - BHPian

Gogi bhai its been time...Next week?

So where is Mahesh lunch home in Juhu situated?? How is this place?
Old 15th January 2009, 14:06   #463
Senior - BHPian

Mahesh - Approaching from Juhu beach after you cross Marriott, just before the signal on your left. I prefer the Mahesh @ Fort. This one is a lil' more upmarket.
Old 15th January 2009, 15:16   #464
Senior - BHPian

Toh saturday jamwaanu raakhwuche ne????
lol!
Lets make saturday a Team Bhp foodies meet.
I forgot to mention, there's one restaurant where we guys go every 2-3 weeks, at night, say 12 am, when we know we wont get a drink anywhere(legally).
Thats Midtown Pritam at Dadar. Gogi paaji, aap log yeh beer kaise banaate ho? Acchi hai! :-p

Recommended: The burgers, sandwiches and Chicken Lollypop at Midtown Pritam.
Prices for the alcohol are reasonable and quality of food is good. Of note is the fact that every single time we have gone to Midtown Pritam, we see some Devdas sitting there and drowning his sorrows in a glass of whisky. And we drown our sorrows, laughing at him. hee haw!

The official slogan for Chicken Lollypop must be: Serving Hungry Bewdas since 1921!

Last edited by frankmehta : 15th January 2009 at 15:17.
Old 15th January 2009, 15:46   #465
BHPian

Quote:
Toh saturday jamwaanu raakhwuche ne????
lol!
Lets make saturday a Team Bhp foodies meet.
I forgot to mention, there's one restaurant where we guys go every 2-3 weeks, at night, say 12 am, when we know we wont get a drink anywhere(legally).
Thats Midtown Pritam at Dadar. Gogi paaji, aap log yeh beer kaise banaate ho? Acchi hai! :-p

R: Serving Hungry Bewdas since 1921!
Dude, koi pull hai toh bol de, i've gone there many a times, yet have that dreaded curfew of bar timings.

to the owner of Midtown Pritam.
Koi jugaad kar de bhai.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks