Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2009, 18:44   #556
BHPian

fellow bhukkads of bombay how about a meet for some night food followed by milkshake (double chocolate special aka DSP) at Dadar TT circle.
Old 1st February 2009, 23:51   #557
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
A special mention should be made of Sosyo my all time favourite drink, still available and best enjoyed ice ice cold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
Hate Sosyo!
Gogiji kya baat kahi hai. Sosyo is my favourite drink too. There are very few outlets in Mumbai most probably in Kandivali whereabouts, where you get Sosyo in glass bottles. I had asked them to deliver a crate once in 3 weeks or so but they said no crates for home. So only option left is pet bottles. But I make a point that atleast 15 bottles of Sosyo + 3 of Kashmiri Soda is delivered at my place every month!!
Old 2nd February 2009, 02:03   #558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
you're right. had it in jimmy boy last.
i think this photo IS from jimmy if im not wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
There is an Irani place in Ballard Estate called Britannia whose signature dish is the Berry Pulao (which was too sweet for my taste). Don't they also serve this drink?
The picture was taken at Brittania.
Old 2nd February 2009, 11:23   #559
BHPian

Quote:
A special mention should be made of Sosyo my all time favourite drink, still available and best enjoyed ice ice cold.
Where does one get this in Mumbai?? I make it a point to always have this when i visit my hometown Surat. It's my all time favorite too! There were rumors that this drink had a bit more alcoholic content than the norms and hence it was banned in Maharashtra. I am a teetotaler so was never able to judge whether this was true. But believe me, it's a superb drink to have

(People may be feeling that this guy is crazy to go bonkers over a regular soft drink - but Sosyo is so different from the other crap that you get nowadays)
Old 2nd February 2009, 11:42   #560
BANNED

Quote:
There were rumors that this drink had a bit more alcoholic content than the norms and hence it was banned in Maharashtra.
Huh!?
"Bit more than norms" - that means there is an allowed maximum alchohol
content for soft drinks? I bet that's not true.
Old 2nd February 2009, 12:19   #561
BHPian

^^ That was a rumor that I had heard when I was a kid - even i don't believe it to be true
Old 2nd February 2009, 20:00   #562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Where does one get this in Mumbai?? I make it a point to always have this when i visit my hometown Surat. It's my all time favorite too! There were rumors that this drink had a bit more alcoholic content than the norms and hence it was banned in Maharashtra. I am a teetotaler so was never able to judge whether this was true. But believe me, it's a superb drink to have

(People may be feeling that this guy is crazy to go bonkers over a regular soft drink - but Sosyo is so different from the other crap that you get nowadays)
I am an out and out Sosyo fan. Those who drink can remember the taste very close to Rum & Coke. On the bottle, there is a line printed which says "Does not contain Alcohol". Actually I like all things that taste weird. I also love Root Beer (non alcoholic) which some people think tastes like Iodex

Coming to Pallonji's There is also a Kashmiri Soda which Pallonji makes. Again see theres no mention od the ingredients in the bottle, just the name of the company.

Heres a pic taken at Saasanian this evening
Boulangerie is French for Bakerey. Sassanian is opp the Gol Masid near Metro Cinema now Multiplex, bang next to Delhi Durbar.

A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai-02022009811.jpg

Yummy Kheema, Akuri (not so good) and Chicken, Veg and Mutton pattice/puff. Very good Brun maska. There are only a very few of these Irani owned Boulangeries left in Bombay. The only other one i know of is the Yazdani Bakery whose name boards have some French and German inclusions. Sadly Yazdani only serves Bakery stuff. No food. So be satisfied with some home baked goodies and tea or their yummy Brun maska again.

Brun maska and Tea is a match made in heaven. You get a brun (crisp on the out and buttery soft on the inside) sliced through the middle, horizontally, dabbled with a huge blob of soft butter. The brun is then assembled like a sandwich and sliced into 3-4 slices depending on its size. You order a cup of typical Irani tea aka "Choi"(dont ask what you cant explain the Irani tea taste. One has to just have it) You dip one slice of the brun in the tea. The brun will soak up some tea and some butter will melt into the tea, making the tea somewhat salty and buttery and the brun sweetish. It tastes like the softest bread pudding you have ever had and hot. Some even sprinkle a bit of grain sugar on the brun buttered surface before slicing. Its each to his own. Mmmmmmmmm!!

On the other hand Sassanian will serve you food of all kinds. Have to yet try their food (Dhansak, Sali boti, Farcha, Patra ni Macchi, etc, etc)

Coming to Gujrati Thali, the other day I went to Golden Star. I am very disappointed yet again with that place. The food served was cold and when i insisted that the food be hot, the guy gave nme a look as if he was serving me free food. The vegetables were not tasty and the dal and kadi was excessively salty. The Farsan was horrible and uncooked. I think ill not be visiting the place in for a while now, though i used to like it a lot. I think the staff was not interested to serve as there was a match going on and everyone was only ogling at the TV. Not done.

The Thali at Golden Star

A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai-31012009801.jpg

A couple of days ago i was at Leopold. The best thing to have at places like these is the Chinese. Safest. I mean you really have to be an artist to ruin a Paneer or Chicken Chilli.

Ordered the dishes below and both were good, especially the beef which was surprisingly tender. I have known it to be as tough as your shoe on occasions.

The Chicken Chilli

A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai-01022009806.jpg

The Beef Teriyaki

A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai-01022009807.jpg

I tried Pratap Lunch home in Fort. Known mostly for its Seafood, i enjoy the Mutton Biryani there. Its wet and the Mutton is really soft and tender. I have yet to try the food there besides the biryani but its high time i did.
Get a load of this board at the counter.

A Guide: Eating out in Mumbai-29012009800.jpg

Im hungry. Think ill make a beeline to cafe colony for my brun maska "choi" if he still has some brun left over.
Old 2nd February 2009, 20:08   #563
Senior - BHPian

Gogi paaji, if i die of a clot in my heart, i know who to blame. Damn... Everytime i read your posts i eat double in the subsequent meal!
On a more serious note, when are we all going out for some kickas dinner :-)
Old 2nd February 2009, 20:25   #564
Senior - BHPian

I need to eat kheema now !! right now !!

Gogi?? any ideas ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram18 View Post
I loved Roger's Ice-cream soda. Hate Sosyo!
+ 1. Hate Sosyo from the bottom of my heart.

For a long while, Sosyo was the only soft drink served on long distance trains - a monopoly of sorts and I hated it coz I wanted my Campa-Cola.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 2nd February 2009 at 20:35.
Old 2nd February 2009, 22:33   #565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
For a long while, Sosyo was the only soft drink served on long distance trains - a monopoly of sorts and I hated it coz I wanted my Campa-Cola.
This whole sosyo campa-cola thing is based in the 70s right.
BTW guys just re-discovered Phantom sweet cigarettes today.
now i need to get rola cola too!
Old 2nd February 2009, 22:35   #566
Senior - BHPian

oye, even i want phantoms! my first and only cigarette brand. what a kick from it! aaaaah!
Old 2nd February 2009, 23:06   #567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I also love Root Beer (non alcoholic) which some people think tastes like Iodex

I'm a huge root beer fan as well, but then again there are some brands that I don't really like - MUG by Pepsi is probably my least favourite root beer. I was in Buffalo the other day and had this bottled root beer from Abita - this was by far the best root beer I ever had. The restaurant served it as a float with coconut ice cream in it and the combination was divine. A&W is the best among the mainstream brands and thankfully is available in a lot of places in Mumbai. Barq's tastes ok too but not too close to what root beer actually tastes like.

Another really strange thing I like drinking is gripe water. It's a medicine used for babies when theyre teething to control the pain - tastes amazing.
Old 2nd February 2009, 23:11   #568
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone eaten at East? The chef there is from the Culinary Institute of America which is by far the best culinary institute in the world. I believe he worked at Nobu as well after that before setting up East in Mumbai. I haven't gotten a chance to eat there and somehow the reviews aren't really that convincing.
Old 2nd February 2009, 23:17   #569
Senior - BHPian

Years ago, when I was in school, there used to be a drink called "FALSA". Available in a couple of tiny outlets near and around Bombay Central, this was a hit among us. What I loved about it was the fact that after opening the bottle, one had to add a pinch of salt, (dished out by the stall guy) to make it taste tangier..
mmmm, I'm thirsty !
Old 2nd February 2009, 23:20   #570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Has anyone eaten at East? The chef there is from the Culinary Institute of America which is by far the best culinary institute in the world. I believe he worked at Nobu as well after that before setting up East in Mumbai. I haven't gotten a chance to eat there and somehow the reviews aren't really that convincing.
Adhish, "East" was once upon a time called "Nish", and served awesome oriental food. It's jovial owner Chandrakant Shetye, now quite old, still mans East, and is joined by his son who is this fabled chef you mention. I'll stand by their food, still awesome.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks