Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2008, 18:25   #301
Senior - BHPian

aah thats a nice list Gogi.

Btw back during my college days I used to enjoy the Kulfi that you get in Five Gardens.

There was this nice Parsi restaurant either some where around this area(Matunga) or close to Dadar or was it close to wadala (it 6 years back so cant remember correctly) good food. The entrance is quite simple & almost on the road(there is circle a few meters away) but the inside ambiance was good. Cant remember the name

EDIT: I used to love the veg roll available at Churchgate Station Canteen, ah good ol days

Last edited by Technocrat : 17th April 2008 at 18:27.
Old 17th April 2008, 19:32   #302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16
When I meant hes in sync with the trend, I meant business wise.
Tell me about it! As a teen I use to hang out at his video game corner (he used to have it then), and when we would give him 10 bucks and ask for 5 game tokens, he would give 2 jabardasti ka samosas instead of 5 bucks change!

Quote:
I once was witness to a family chat between his brother and him regarding their Rotwieller pet dogs. (he also has an epitaph dedicated to one of his dead dogs just outside the restaurant, under a tree) These two were shouting at the top of their voices and abusing each other using the choicest of cuss words. Happened they were not fighting or even arguing, they speak like this only.
hahahaha. Thats Aamir. He's had dogs, cats, parrots, the works. Dont leak this on the ICE forum, but when I was about 14, he took me up to his pad once and showed me the Bose AM 5 system. Then he played CDs with sound effects from what seemed like horror movies. He was my temporary audio god for atleast a year after that.

Quote:
Go there and find a young enthusiastic Pahari waiter who rattles English. The guy looks perpetually stoned and im sure is on drugs but he will serve you extremely well. Ask him to get a hot Brun Maska with sugar sprinkled in between the bread. No one can eat just one. Wash it with a chai, drunk in the way i drink it. Slurping is a necessity.
Rafik - perpetually stoned smiling boy.

Then there's a lunatic called Shamshu. If you hear Ali yelling "Aay bail !" (the husband of a cow), he's the guy who'll appear.

He didnt have a grand menu when I used to frequent him. Just the normal egg fare and the bakes. The omlettes were yummy, with the watered down pumpkin sauce and mmmmm... the paavs. Nothing beats the paav we get in Mumbai at such places. And the buns/ buruns too. I could eat them without any accompaniment.

I dont go there much now. Basically because I'm not yet ready for marriage.

Quote:
The second place which is loosing its charm fast is Snowpoint just before the Podar college on Matunga road. Actually dont waste your time as they will recommend noodles and Chowmien to you, and that too from a Maggi packet. The Kheema is also pathetic.
Losing? SP has NO charm at all. I think you mean their Cafe Gulshan.
Old 17th April 2008, 19:37   #303
BHPian

I stayed at the Gordon House , Colaba when i was there in mumbai for 2 months in 2004. Enjoyed the food at Gordon and also at Tendulkar's . Also there is a street just after Gordon on the way to Taj where you will see delicious kababs. Man i loved those days .
Old 17th April 2008, 20:36   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post

a Question to the regulars at Bagdadi, Colaba behind Taj: how on earth do they manage to get such a big chicken.they have been serving these from years and years. Their leg Piece is as big as the whole regular chicken (exagerating). but still are these steroid injected chickens.

Gogi any take on that...
Hi Sohail, apparently the trick we knew while in college. If you dunk a raw chicken into caustic solution the chicken tends to swell up to a decent size.

The meat is the same but it swells up. Now don't try it at home.

Cheers
M M M
Old 18th April 2008, 02:26   #305
Senior - BHPian

-@ Bass&trouble Ajay, you seem to have ben a regular, what with names of the help etc.etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
aah thats a nice list Gogi.

Btw back during my college days I used to enjoy the Kulfi that you get in Five Gardens.

There was this nice Parsi restaurant
either some where around this area(Matunga) or close to Dadar or was it close to wadala (it 6 years back so cant remember correctly) good food. The entrance is quite simple & almost on the road(there is circle a few meters away) but the inside ambiance was good. Cant remember the name
Oh yeah, Yezdiar I miss it a lot. Would sneak out for a beer there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
I stayed at the Gordon House , Colaba when i was there in mumbai for 2 months in 2004. Enjoyed the food at Gordon and also at Tendulkar's . Also there is a street just after Gordon on the way to Taj where you will see delicious kababs. Man i loved those days .
You are talking about Bade Miyan. Not so delicious anymore or maybe we have eaten better now, so we compare it to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post
Hi Sohail, apparently the trick we knew while in college. If you dunk a raw chicken into caustic solution the chicken tends to swell up to a decent size.

Cheers
M M M
I hope restaurants are not seriously trying that.
You do get oversize chickens which are fed to a point of gaining so much weight that if they were not slaughtered, their legs would not be able to take the weight. These are legs from the same kind of chickens. You do get oversize "legs only" cuts at various chicken selling outlets.
Old 18th April 2008, 11:56   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjgm View Post

Cheers
M M M
I dont believe this, is it seriously this way?? Should i go and check their kitchen??
Hey guys was just thinking , anybody any knowldge about FARSAAN!! Or Chakna!! hehe
Old 18th April 2008, 12:07   #307
BHPian

Guys any suggestions for Buffet lunch for today . I need to take a buch of folks out .
Old 18th April 2008, 12:08   #308
BHPian

In Mumbai - any buffet lunch around 250- 300 ?
Old 18th April 2008, 12:40   #309
BHPian

rash: what part of Mumbai are you looking at town or Suburb!!
Old 18th April 2008, 12:49   #310
BHPian

I am looking between Andheri to bandra
Old 18th April 2008, 13:11   #311
BHPian

rash: dont know exactly about buffets that side, but in town, we have Not just jazz by the bay for their, Salad buffet. Hmm towards andheri side lot of restaurants at lokhandwala, like sasural and others, i think ur 250-300 budget would fit for a normal lunch, i mean not the buffet type, Ala carte is what i meant , from the menu.

Bandra has a line of restaurants if you just brush through this thread you will find some good joints!!

Sorry I could help with only this one!!
Old 18th April 2008, 13:16   #312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Also i sit and laugh at the comments of a geriatric Parsi Gentleman at the counter of an old restaurant in Pune. Karl, Kiran, Shrivz and Ronnie were with me. I forget the name of that place....anyone??!! We had some good "Choi" there
If he was a Gentleman who insists on cutting the cheese at the cash counter and giving it to the waiter when you order something with cheese - It's Vohuman cafe.

Another great place to get bum malai is Cafe Yazdan at Sachapeer street in pune.
Old 18th April 2008, 13:54   #313
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also i sit and laugh at the comments of a geriatric Parsi Gentleman at the counter of an old restaurant in Pune. Karl, Kiran, Shrivz and Ronnie were with me. I forget the name of that place....anyone??!! We had some good "Choi" there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
If he was a Gentleman who insists on cutting the cheese at the cash counter and giving it to the waiter when you order something with cheese - It's Vohuman cafe.
Another great place to get bum malai is Cafe Yazdan at Sachapeer street in pune.

Bang on target Sam. Vohuman cafe it was.
Gogi, you must also share the joke he passed on similarities between sikhs and parsi's please.

The chai and bun maska at Dorabjee's also come from Yazdan.
Old 18th April 2008, 16:53   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You do get oversize chickens which are fed to a point of gaining so much weight that if they were not slaughtered, their legs would not be able to take the weight. These are legs from the same kind of chickens. You do get oversize "legs only" cuts at various chicken selling outlets.
I have also heard of cooks adding excessive salt to kebabs etc to make them softer. Is this true? The tikka at Rasna Punjab tastes like they netted a murgi from the sea.
Old 18th April 2008, 16:56   #315
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I just saw that.

I meant to say bun malai. I hope you understand. Freudian slip must have happened.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks