Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2008, 14:37   #361
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpandiv View Post
Guys,
Need to arrange a party. 360 persons. In a Disc. Any ideas which one can accomodate these many people? Would be looking at booking the disc exclusively.
Rock Bottom (Ramee- Guestline Juhu) and Aaziano (Lower Parel) are out since last year's two parties were there,so need something different.
Can TRAFFIC accomodate 360 ?
You need to decide how much the budget is (per head) and what area is most of your guestlist coming from?

If it's a slightly older age group then my suggestion is:
1. Dragonfly
2. Shiro
4. Aurus (if you want something in the suburbs)
3. Zenzi (if you want something in the suburbs, would be a cheaper option)

If the guestlist is younger crowd then:
1. Prive (mix age group)
2. Red light
3. Play ( all teenagers!)
4. Bling (suburbs)
Old 25th July 2008, 14:56   #362
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post

If the guestlist is younger crowd then:
1. Prive (mix age group)
2. Red light
3. Play ( all teenagers!)
4. Bling (suburbs)
dude 360 people in play will be totally cramped. i guess you should cut that out.
Old 25th July 2008, 16:27   #363
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the suggestions guys.
The crowd is young. We are throwing a freshers party for our juniors (MBA coll)
almost 95% of the crowd would be coming to the venue from ghatkopar.
however proximity/distance is not an issue.
The deal we got at rock bottom last time was : Dinner + 2 vg/2nvg starters + free cold drinks + some discount on booze for around 375 per head dinner was nothing to write about but then dinner is a complusory requirement.
Old 25th July 2008, 16:48   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpandiv View Post
The deal we got at rock bottom last time was : Dinner + 2 vg/2nvg starters + free cold drinks + some discount on booze for around 375 per head dinner was nothing to write about but then dinner is a complusory requirement.
Arpan, for the billing you are looking at, there is no chance that any of the good places we have suggested will do it even on a Monday night. I am surprised even Rock Bottom did it, but then last year was very lean for them.

Last edited by Bass&Trouble : 25th July 2008 at 16:50.
Old 25th July 2008, 16:54   #365
BHPian

@Ajay thanks for the inputs. RockBottom did it this year (farewell to seniors) in month of Feb.
It was 420/- not 375 sorry wrong calculation.
I get your point,what i need is a blingy disc where the juniors can just let loose for a couple of hours in the night and go back to torture next day.
Old 30th July 2008, 14:58   #366
Senior - BHPian

Another Shocker!

Looks like I'm going to go broke soon. Especially if I continue ordering without looking at the card. Everyone seems to be hiking prices, and in most cases, by about 100%

Latest place to join this trend seems to be Vista at Taj Lands End. This used to be a favorite for me and my friends since they have a reasonable 24-hour menu. So as usual, 3 of us went there on Monday night and ordered 3 pizzas. We dont look at the menu because we knew what we wanted.

I remember that we usually pay about Rs. 400 + taxes per pizza. Not perfectly sure, but Its definitely not way off the mark. I thought they had made a mistake in the bill when it turned up to be Rs. 3000/- +. But it wasnt, each pizza was Rs. 850 + VAT!!!

I even casually joked with the waiter whether it was some special charge for sitting next to filmi folks, since Deepika and Ranbir were sitting at the adjoining table.
Old 30th July 2008, 17:40   #367
GTO
Team-BHP Support

LOL B&T! Inflations at over 11% so you better be checking prices the next time around. I don't remember Vista as an expensive place, but thanks for the headsup.
Old 15th August 2008, 14:43   #368
Senior - BHPian

The Olive Bar and Grille Mahalaxmi Race Course.

A few days ago i happened to visit the Olive Bar and Grille at Mahalaxmi, Race course.

If you are approaching from Mahalaxmi station towards Haji Ali, take the first gate in on the right hand side. You will find your self almost opposite the Mini Club House entry. Turn right again until you reach the dead end and you reach the entrance of Olive.

You enter into a nice open spacious court yard with an open bar and an open wood fired Pizza station where one can seat oneself more like siting on a bar.
This open air (not literally, it in fact temporarily covered) area is larger than the restaurant inside. Walking in the restaurant one instantly gets the feel as if one is in a brighter Wood Side Inn replica (the ground floor) only a little larger. At dinner time the ambiance is quite good with candles at all.
about the food.

What hits you first is the Horse stench. Just at the rear are the stables so thats going to be a big big problem. In the rain its more prominent as it is accompanied by wet straw smell. Yuck!!

Yes the food and drinks are quite expensive, i think more than the Bandra Olive too. No dish is below Rs. 650-700 for a veg and 750-900 for a non veg.
The portions are keeping in the fine dine tradition are not very big.
I recommend the Mushroom Aglio Olio Peperronicco, the assorted Crostini fro starters. Ordered their signature dish the Ceqaser's salad and was very disappointed. Excessively oily and bland. Why should a Ceaser's salad be oily. The dressing was wrong but then thats the way they make it. Hrrumph!!
Aked them to rectify it and gave the captain a polite runabout on what dressing a Ceaser's salad should be wearing. The salad that he bought after that was quite good and in norms or what such a salad should be served with. The presentation was also quite good.
We also had some Mediterranean skewer (chicken) which was very dry, spicy and not in my book, edible. No do not order that.

The drinks cost around 450 for a cocktail (caipiroshka, mohito cosmopolitan) and a wine glass would set you back by Rs. 400-450 for domestic wine.
A black label is i think Rs.500 fro a 30 ml and there was a Blue Label special edition for Rs. 7000 for 30 ml.

Ordered a pizza with parma ham and rocket leaves. I have heard so much about the Olive Pizza.
Any idiot would know that Parma ham and rocket leaves go on the Pizza after the pizza is removed from the oven. at no time do you put these two toppings in the oven. To top that the rocket leaves are chopped, giving them a very chopped lettuce, shabby look. Rocket leaves are never chopped wherever and i whatever they are used. I pointed it out to the chef. The taste was so so i would give the pizza a 3/10.
Lets just say i have eaten better.

For a good pizza you go to the certain places and Olive is definitely not anywhere amongst them.

Go here for a very good Pizza:
Wood Side In or Frangipani or even the Pizzeria at Not Just Jazz.

For a superlative pizza go here;
Cellini at the Grand Hyatt, Trattoria at the Taj president or the Indigo Deli.

Regarding the service, there is none. You enter and try tocatch the eye of one of the stewards or hostesses there.
They will never offer you a table straight on. It must be a funda of showing that the place is always full (but is is so why carry things to far)
We were asked to wait at the Bar/Pizza service place whic looks more like a bar counter. There were three empty tables when we entered. They remained empty till wee left after a couple of hours at least. More got empty but the chap never returned to ask us if we would like to move and this happened both the times i visited the place.

They also charge you Service Charges ie an additional 10% to the bill so the customary 10-15% tips one usually leaves should be reduced to 5% IMHO and that too only if the service is good.

I will be going again to try some more food sometime later. If someone whos been there and tried some stuff can post his views and experience, it would be great.

Ambiance : 8/10
Food: 4/10
Service: 2/10
Price/Value for Money: Pricey; 6/10
Old 15th August 2008, 17:15   #369
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post

Go here for a very good Pizza:
the Pizzeria at Not Just Jazz.
Oh no. Im not going there again. And if im going, then I'll make sure to give my order over the phone when im leaving my house.

When anyone of you is very hungry dont even, I repeat dont even think of Pizzeria. GO to any other restaurant and wait for 30 mins and still expect food to arrive much quicker than Pizzeria.

Along with 3 other friends, we decided go to Five Spice. But waiting was over 30 mins. So we moved to Pizzeria. Waiting here too but only 15 mins. Great. Finally got our table and ordered 2 pastas and 1 pizza at 10:30 pm. 11:05 pm we get our pastas. Finished even before a normal person would wink, twice. Then we got the pizza at 11:15pm. As soon as we got the pizza we ordered for a second one as we were super-duper hungry.
After a long long chat, 2 Diet cokes, we finally get ours at 12:00 am. Finished it off, again faster than a person could wink, this time one wink was more than enough. Left at 12:20 am.

Any order takes atleast 30-45 mins over there. Next time around I'll make sure that I have stuffed something before even going to that place.
Old 15th August 2008, 17:42   #370
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post

I will be going again to try some more food sometime later. If someone whos been there and tried some stuff can post his views and experience, it would be great.
I was there for Sunday brunch and I had a great time. It was a party and I had 12 breakfast martinis.

The food was super. Or I can't remember. lol
Old 16th August 2008, 02:30   #371
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I had 12 breakfast martinis.
The food was super. Or I can't remember. lol
Aha so it was you who ate part of the waiter's tie and said the fettuccini should be cut thinner.
Old 16th August 2008, 22:48   #372
Distinguished - BHPian

For Goan Food at its best in Mumbai go to GOA PORTUGESA. Its located near Mahim Post office and is a delight for Goan food. Not because Dr Subhas Awachat the proprietor is my childhood friend, but because of the quality of food and hospitality here. The menu card lists numerous Goan dishes- you can have the best and choose the best suited to you. If you are to go here on Saturdays,Sundays or on public holidays please book your seat/s in advance as its houseful on many such occasions.I'll post the phone nos. for bookings here very soon.
Old 17th August 2008, 09:21   #373
BHPian

Quote:
The drinks cost around 450 for a cocktail (caipiroshka, mohito cosmopolitan) and a wine glass would set you back by Rs. 400-450 for domestic wine.
A black label is i think Rs.500 fro a 30 ml and there was a Blue Label special edition for Rs. 7000 for 30 ml.
Just back from Goa last evening, just so funny since you've mentioned the price of the drinks, a Kingfisher pint at Infantaria was 25 bucks, 650ml was for 45 & a full bottle of domestic Rose Wine (Sula Zinfadel) was 500 bucks .

Ya but seriously i felt the same dungy smell at the racecourse Olive too. Also the food was really bad there except for the Bruschetta which was good. Though the most recent amazing woodfire pizza i had, was at the Breach Candy Club.

Also i'd like to go offtopic & recommend a restaurant in Candolim, Goa just before the Kingfisher Villa. Its called Republic of Noodles, a part of the Lemontree Amarante Hotel. Its an amazing Pan Asian restaurant, fab place, excellent food.

Last edited by anilkalvani : 17th August 2008 at 09:37.
Old 17th August 2008, 10:24   #374
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
Though the most recent amazing woodfire pizza i had, was at the Breach Candy Club.
except that its not woodfire. look below the oven and youll see a gas cylinder.
Old 17th August 2008, 14:44   #375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16
Yes the food and drinks are quite expensive, i think more than the Bandra Olive too. No dish is below Rs. 650-700 for a veg and 750-900 for a non veg.
That definitely pricier than the Bandra Olive. Was there just last Monday, and have made it a habit now to peek at the pices before ordering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16
Any idiot would know that Parma ham and rocket leaves go on the Pizza after the pizza is removed from the oven. at no time do you put these two toppings in the oven. To top that the rocket leaves are chopped, giving them a very chopped lettuce, shabby look. Rocket leaves are never chopped wherever and i whatever they are used. I pointed it out to the chef. The taste was so so i would give the pizza a 3/10.
How do they make the same pizza at Bandra? Did you mention it to Chef Max? Was he also not aware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
When anyone of you is very hungry dont even, I repeat dont even think of Pizzeria. GO to any other restaurant and wait for 30 mins and still expect food to arrive much quicker than Pizzeria.
That is very unusual. Even on crowded weekends, I have got my pizza within 15-25 mins nearly every time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Not because Dr Subhas Awachat the proprietor is my childhood friend, but because of the quality of food and hospitality here.
Your childhood friend will get upset you call him 'Subhas'.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks