Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2019, 14:45   #331
BANNED

Re: Reliance Jio and the FREE mania!

Well whatever we say. Today Jio is the biggest player. It has overtaken Vodafone Idea. So the are obviously doing something good. Remember when Reliance services were launched RCom went to Anil as part of the family split. While MDA was sold on the mobile while ADA was not at all keen.

The important think is they realize that the money is in data and not telephony.
Old 6th September 2019, 14:53   #332
Senior - BHPian

Expect these plans to be revised shortly. Jio has been hammered badly in social media as most users including me are highly disappointed with these thoughtless crap FUP based plans.
Old 6th September 2019, 16:55   #333
Senior - BHPian

Is it just me or is there a typo in the Gold plan annual charges ? It's higher than platinum which is the next above it
Old 6th September 2019, 17:17   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Is it just me or is there a typo in the Gold plan annual charges ? It's higher than platinum which is the next above it
Gold plan charges are bi-annual.
Old 6th September 2019, 18:17   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Expect these plans to be revised shortly. Jio has been hammered badly in social media as most users including me are highly disappointed with these thoughtless crap FUP based plans.
I doubt this.

Mr Ambani is offering free cars (set top boxes) and bikes(landline) with the hope people will buy more oil (bandwidth).

A hour of viewing HD content consumes 700 MB to 1GB of data. Assuming people do away with existing Tata sky/Airtel STBs and use JIO, it translates to 120 GB per month (4 hours per day TV viewing). Add the daily data you are using today for normal browsing, FB and it translates to 150 GB to 200 GB per month.

The real revenue for JIO is this extra bandwidth that users would purchase and I guess this is core of JIO long term strategy. In near future they would be introducing IOTs,home automation solution, security systems that connect to JIO network and increase per user bandwidth consumption. In addition these services will be subscription based and thereby recurring revenues for JIO.

Providing extra bandwidth goes against this business model. Initially, they might offer it to let people get habituated to the idea of watching on demand video content.

Choosing a plan which offers better FUP from other providers (ACT,Hathaway, Airtel etc) is a better option and might work out cheaper if you intend to watch more on demand video.
Old 6th September 2019, 18:44   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Here are the details from the Launch Yesterday - if we look at just the broadband pricing then its not as cheap as the days of Jio SIM.

Note: I did not include the detailed slides for plans beyond Gold as those did not interest me. The TV brands are not called out.
Hmm, what's not clear is whether TV usage will count towards GB usage.

Also not clear what happens to existing subscribers as they've already paid 4500 or 2500 for the ONT (termed as Jio Fiber Gateway worth Rs 5000) device so it's effectively not free/included for them. Isn't it sort of penalising the early adopters?
Old 6th September 2019, 19:01   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathish81 View Post
Choosing a plan which offers better FUP from other providers (ACT,Hathaway, Airtel etc) is a better option and might work out cheaper if you intend to watch more on demand video.
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Hmm, what's not clear is whether TV usage will count towards GB usage
I doubt if TV Channel viewing will lead to Broadband Data Usage. The Broadband usage would count for all OTT Apps like Jio Cinema etc. But I guess they have not detailed on the TV and Channel plans and how that would work.

I moved away from ACT as I needed more data and currently on BSNL Bharat Fiber 777 (without GST) per month Annual Plan which gives me 500 GB Data at 50 MBps. BSNL recently upgraded this plan and I now have 600 GB of data for the same price. I also got Amazon Prime Subscription Free for a year. Since I opted for Annual Scheme, I also got a cashback of 25% on what I paid.

I have not faced any issue with 50 Mbps in watching movies on Amazon Prime or Youtube. Does a home user really need 250 mbps speed? - 100 mbps seems like more than enough for all scenarios we have as on date

Netflix seems like an expensive OTT Platform in India compared to others and ACT and Airtel now seems to be bundling this with their plans which may be more attractive than Jio since they dont seem to have any tie up so far with Amazon Prime or Netflix.

Unless plenty of HD TV Channels are included in these packages without that leading to Broadband Data Consumption - these plans don't seem to impress me. The Silver seems to be the pick and the higher ones seem unattractive. Not sure who uses a 24 inch TV in a metro anymore...may appeal in Tier 2 cities or villages.

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 6th September 2019 at 19:04.
Old 6th September 2019, 19:11   #338
BHPian

Quote:
I doubt if TV Channel viewing will lead to Broadband Data Usage. The Broadband usage would count for all OTT Apps like Jio Cinema etc.
I respectfully disagree on this. IMHO following would lead to data usage and will count towards FUP limit of plan:

Watching any content on JIO STB including live channels. I will be very very surprised if JIO excempts live channels from BW usage ( basically don't count live channel stream data towards FUP limit).

Making phone calls using JIO call or with the phone connected to JIO fiber router.

Usage of OTT like prime,Netflix etc
Any other apps, services JIO introduces.

Last edited by sathish81 : 6th September 2019 at 19:17.
Old 6th September 2019, 19:12   #339
Senior - BHPian

Whatever we say, Jio is the single reason for the drop in the price of data. I remember paying Rs 300 for 1 GB of Airtel data not so long ago.
Old 6th September 2019, 19:27   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Got the Jio Fiber installed yesterday by paying Rs. 2,500 deposit at J P Nagar 9th Phase, Bangalore. Until now I was using ACT and was getting 20+ Mbps (for the base plan I had opted) speeds and with Jio it is 40+ Mbps.
Have the speeds increased? Also did you get to ask them how the Jio TV model would work and if TV usage also consumes Broadband data?

Quote:
I respectfully disagree on this. IMHO following would lead to data usage and will count towards FUP limit of plan:

Watching any content on JIO STB including live channels. I will be very very surprised if JIO excempts live channels from BW usage ( basically don't count live channel stream data towards FUP limit).
We have to wait for more announcements I guess. I got an SMS stating they will contact me when they are available in the area - so that means its not yet available where I live...
Old 6th September 2019, 19:33   #341
BHPian

Quote:
Have the speeds increased? Also did you get to ask them how the Jio TV model would work and if TV usage also consumes Broadband data?

We have to wait for more announcements I guess. I got an SMS stating they will contact me when they are available in the area - so that means its not yet available where I live...
Try and get a straight answer from them if live TV streaming, phone (JIO call) usage will count towards FU when they call you. Please post it here

Another thing- with streaming platforms like YouTube, Netflix, prime -data for whole video is consumed 90 percent of the time even if you watch only 10 percent of video. But that's due to underlying tech and JiO is not guilty of this crime

Last edited by sathish81 : 6th September 2019 at 19:34.
Old 7th September 2019, 07:54   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Try and get a straight answer from them if live TV streaming, phone (JIO call) usage will count towards FU when they call you. Please post it here
Here comes the answers after a bit of Google Research:
  • Reliance Jio’s set-top-box to accept broadcast cable TV signals from local cable operators: URL
  • JioFiber Ships Set-Top Box With Every Plan, But a Separate LCO Subscription is Required to Watch TV Channels: URL
  • JioFiber unlikely to churn users away from Airtel DTH, but may drag ARPUs: Analysts: URL

Quote:
Analysts said Jio’s attraction of a 24-inch TV set for free is unlikely to cut much ice with customers.
TV will be TV - regular Cable TV - there is no Jio Magic here and moreover you need a separate LCO (Local Cable Operator) Connection as well...

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 7th September 2019 at 08:01.
Old 7th September 2019, 09:11   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Here comes the answers after a bit of Google Research:
[list][*]Reliance Jio’s set-top-box to accept broadcast cable TV signals from local cable operators: URL
[*]JioFiber Ships Set-Top Box With Every Plan, But a Separate LCO Subscription is Required to Watch TV Channels: URL..
As per the above info, there is no other option to watch TV channels with Jio STB other than using LCO connection. I thought there would be an option to get channels via Fiber or DTH kind of service.

Since I personally do not want to interact with the LCO , I think I should just keep my options open than just go ahead with the Jio Fiber connection as of now.
Old 8th September 2019, 10:52   #344
Senior - BHPian

The video from GeekyRanjit explains the plans very well:

Old 8th September 2019, 11:10   #345
Senior - BHPian

I've retained my ACT connection which gives 1500 GB (FUP) @ 100Mbps speed (though it says 200 Mbps in the plan) @ ₹ 1532.82/month all inclusive. I think this itself is an "overkill" for my kind of usage. I'm also using the Jio Fiber just to see how it pans out and what extra's Jio would give in the future. Aside if we get basic amenities like water and steady power supply like we're getting internet these days, the world would be a better place. I'm now using data to book water tanker for my residence in my 'water starved' city. ACT has been reliable and very proactive and they try their best to set it right asap. Downtime in ACT happens due to vagaries of weather: storm or floods. Jio Fiber is way expensive as it is now. I agree with the video above.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 8th September 2019 at 11:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks