Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2017, 14:48   #181
Team-BHP Support

Re: Reliance Jio and the FREE mania!

At 300 per month, I am in. If only they could improve their indoor signal strength....
Old 23rd February 2017, 14:48   #182
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
I think the real test for them would be post the free mania wades off in April. How many of those 100M subscribers continue to remain active is anyone's guess at the moment.
Now Mukesh Ambani has announced that the Jio service goes to the paid mode from 1 April. However, for us he has come in with 99 membership with no charges for one year. This is a big cat (or lion) among the pigeons.
Old 23rd February 2017, 14:57   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Now Mukesh Ambani has announced that the Jio service goes to the paid mode from 1 April. However, for us he has come in with 99 membership with no charges for one year. This is a big cat (or lion) among the pigeons.
the Rs.99 is a prime membership, which will give you unlimited internet and calls over and above the minimum plan that you have to chose, which is Rs303/month. The 99/year is a little misleading, it's actually, 303*12+99. Not sure how many people will see value in this, considering the speeds that Jio has been offering off late.
Old 23rd February 2017, 14:59   #184
Team-BHP Support

Is it 99+ 303*12 or 99+ 303*(365/28). Wasn't the bill cycle 28 days ?
Old 23rd February 2017, 15:00   #185
Senior - BHPian

Its postpaid only, so isn't the billing cycle for postpaid 30 days?
Old 1st March 2017, 13:55   #186
Team-BHP Support

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/telecom/news...from=home-tech
Old 1st March 2017, 14:19   #187
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Is it 99+ 303*12 or 99+ 303*(365/28). Wasn't the bill cycle 28 days ?
Yes, very misleading. I think I am switching to Vodafone Red (I am postpaid) and saying Sayonara to RJio at the end of March.
Old 2nd March 2017, 16:25   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, very misleading. I think I am switching to Vodafone Red (I am postpaid) and saying Sayonara to RJio at the end of March.
None of the postpaid plans from other operators match Jio's pricing , hence decided to keep my primary number with BSNL Postpaid while the secondary number has been ported to Jio from Tata Docomo.

BSNL offers 2GB data for 225 . All calls are charged extra. The secondary number ported to Jio will mainly be used for data and calls to family and close acquaintances only.

Works out way more cheaper than opting for postpaid plan from other operators.

The 2 Sims I obtained from Jio for free data are destined for the dustbin .

I do like Jio's coverage and signal quality for data. Way superior to others .

Last edited by Ragavsr : 2nd March 2017 at 16:26.
Old 2nd March 2017, 17:05   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
None of the postpaid plans from other operators match Jio's pricing , hence decided to keep my primary number with BSNL Postpaid while the secondary number has been ported to Jio from Tata Docomo.

BSNL offers 2GB data for 225 . All calls are charged extra. The secondary number ported to Jio will mainly be used for data and calls to family and close acquaintances only.

Works out way more cheaper than opting for postpaid plan from other operators.
But Jio gives you 2GB data for Rs 149. Isn't that cheaper? It also gives free calling with no extra charges.
Old 2nd March 2017, 18:16   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
But Jio gives you 2GB data for Rs 149. Isn't that cheaper? It also gives free calling with no extra charges.
That would work out way way cheaper . But I hadn't given much thought to taking a postpaid connection from Jio.

Had terrible experience dealing with Jio customer care. I had a Jio Sim from the Jio Preview offer ( No FUP , truly unlimited data at that time ) which I had lost along with the phone. They made me visit their office 3 times and finally issued a new number saying that getting a duplicate SIM for the old number would be difficult.

As such, cancelling a postpaid connection with private telecom operators like Vodafone ( in particular) can be a hassle and I expect Jio to be similar.

On the other hand, with the BSNL SIM that was lost along with the Jio SIM , I was out of the BSNL office in 5 minutes flat.

My main requirement for a postpaid connection is when traveling to J&K or the North East for which BSNL has good coverage even in the unlikeliest of places .

EDIT : Just checked , the 149 plan is not available on postpaid.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 2nd March 2017 at 18:32. Reason: Check
Old 3rd March 2017, 00:22   #191
BHPian

Terms and Conditions of Jio Prime:

Reliance Jio and the FREE mania!-voice-fup.jpg

Reliance Jio and the FREE mania!-monthly-recharge.jpg

Reliance Jio and the FREE mania!-minimum-recharge.jpg

Reliance Jio and the FREE mania!-night-unlimited.jpg

Source: MyJio app FAQs section
Old 3rd March 2017, 00:38   #192
Team-BHP Support

How do you make ISD calls from Jio ? Tariffs ?
Old 3rd March 2017, 01:29   #193
Senior - BHPian

Firstly, anyone who can afford a 4G phone, can afford 99₹ per annum for a Jio Prime subscription. For those who can't, apparently Reliance is introducing a 4G phone for 1k (it's an old school flip type device with the 4G antenna/capability built in).

They seem to have vividly copied this "Prime" as a concept similar to what Amazon promoted.

But, (forget the minimum) it seems they want the consumer to preferably spend ₹3636+99, ~3750/- annually, for now.

Notably, there's no surety that the price of ₹303/pm won't increase during the year (earlier or later, whenever the competition dies).

Since most people are accustomed to using 3G mobile data sparcely, the "deal" may sound very interesting and affordable.

These aspects may make anyone who has heavy use of data (like us, millennials) feel that it's a brilliant deal, however quite a few may not realise that this is just the short term.

Anyway, let's see. Public better learn from the current Uber fiasco, that short term market capturers aren't here for benevolence. These in particular are a very peculiar profit hungry company, led by a rich group with a very shady past and questionable integrity.

Should people hand over the backbone of our country's connectivity, to an entity that's owned through 100% private equity just because of short term predatory pricing ?

Hell NO! Things may get very real, very fast.

Only thing that'd save other players/competing companies, is if they're able to lay out their network through ground level local optical fibre network providers, and provide similar services. Impractical, maybe, but it's vital that this happens.

C'mon, Isn't it suspecious that we're not seeing super heavy advertisements, despite the fact that Ambani's even own significant media holdings, including a famous mainstream news media group ?

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 3rd March 2017 at 01:47.
Old 3rd March 2017, 10:02   #194
BANNED

Someehat off topic. I just discovered that both my phones are on Vodafone regular plans. After being spoilt with the Jio offerings I am thinking of upgrading one or both the phones to Vodafone Red. The additional cost may be lower than having any plan of Jio on top of the Vodafone plan. Now I am unable to find the various options under Voldfone Red. Can someone guide me there. By the looks of it the 495 or 595 plans look attractive.

Advice please. Remember I have a 5Mbps broadband at home, and being retired do not go out very often.
Old 3rd March 2017, 11:34   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Someehat off topic. I just discovered that both my phones are on Vodafone regular plans. After being spoilt with the Jio offerings I am thinking of upgrading one or both the phones to Vodafone Red. The additional cost may be lower than having any plan of Jio on top of the Vodafone plan. Now I am unable to find the various options under Voldfone Red. Can someone guide me there. By the looks of it the 495 or 595 plans look attractive.

Advice please. Remember I have a 5Mbps broadband at home, and being retired do not go out very often.
Vodafone Prepaid has an offer of unlimited local and std to any operator for 347 per month. This plan will be between 345-350 on different telecom circles. If recharging every month is a hassle, you can setup auto recharge in Paytm or Freecharge etc apps.
May I know your exact requirements like unlimited calls, unlimited sms, xGB of data etc?

Last edited by Debajyoti : 3rd March 2017 at 11:35.

Most Viewed