Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2016, 15:07   #121
BHPian

Re: Reliance Jio and the FREE mania!

Is Adhaar card mandatory for getting a JIO sim? I have no Adhaar and even if I had one would never want to use it for getting a SIM. So can I buy a SIM with normal id/address proofs?
Old 18th November 2016, 15:11   #122
Team-BHP Support

If you have a aadhar (local address), the activation takes minutes else days. That's the only difference. You need to be physically present for biometrics.
Old 18th November 2016, 15:18   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Are you getting 4G signal now? I don't want to use it just as 3G. Airtel 4G signal is good in my area.
My Airtel is a 3G sim and did not try for 4G.

KK
Old 19th November 2016, 17:02   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Is Adhaar card mandatory for getting a JIO sim? I have no Adhaar and even if I had one would never want to use it for getting a SIM. So can I buy a SIM with normal id/address proofs?
Walk in to a Jio Centre instead of Reliance Digital. They are more cooperative than the Reliance Digital guys.

Both my sims got activated within 35 mins of procuring them.

You can have it issued on your local Driving License. If you don't have that, you can ask them for additional proofs which are acceptable.

Kindly refer post # 102 in this thread for details.
Old 21st November 2016, 21:05   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi
Doesn't Marshmallow support Jio WiFi Hotspot sharing?
Or any setting or configuration has to be done after updating to Marshmallow from 5.1.

I have updated Moto E2 to Marshmallow from 5.1. Now I am able to connect to the Hotspot of Moto E2 from other devices but cannot use its internet connectivity. The other devices show Connected to Moto E2 over WiFi. But any internet related activity cannot be performed.
I factory reset the phone and Voila! the WiFi Hotspot started working.

Sorry for late updating here.
Old 29th November 2016, 17:14   #126
BHPian

I was just casually roaming outside my office in Pune and saw JIO sim desk outside. They told us that its free but you need coupon code.

When my colleague somehow managed to generate coupon code, they told him that he can take 2 sims on 1 coupon code .

We managed to grab 4 sims on 2 coupon codes, 1 of them generated on 3G phone .

The trick to generate the coupon on 3G/4G phone is to disable the data connection, hook the phone to Wi-Fi (home broadband or friend's phone wifi hotspot will also do), download myjio app and generate the code. I was able to generate one code on Moto G 2014 (3G version) without any fuss but could not do it on Moto E 2015 3G version. We did not use any non standard or illegal method to generate code. Also, do note that changing the IMEI is a criminal offence and should never be attempted.
Old 29th November 2016, 17:50   #127
BHPian

Few random observations.

Network quality. Data speed is very pathetic in Ahmedabad, although call quality has become better in the last few weeks. My Vodafone 3G is anytime better as compared to Jio 4G. I have recently (since last weekend) started using in Mumbai. Data quality seems to be better here. I am able to get 5 mbps to occasionally 20+ mbps, but again, signal strength can be an issue sometimes; not able to get signals inside office.

Availability of SIM. I inquired to get SIM in Mumbai from small vendors, but since my Aadhar card belongs to Gujarat, none of them agreed to sale me, but in Ahmedabad, I saw banners written in Hindi in many shops that Jio SIMS are available for outside Gujarat Aadhar cards.

And finally I don't believe the network is ready for commercial launch yet, there are high possibility of extension of free offer beyond 31st December.

Last edited by Zappo : 1st December 2016 at 14:20. Reason: Typos and few grammatical errors corrected.
Old 1st December 2016, 09:40   #128
mxx
BHPian

Did jio make any impact on other operator's rates?
I am using airtel post paid, and I do not see any changes in the plans available. Any other operators like vodafone, idea offering better rates now?
Old 1st December 2016, 09:44   #129
BHPian

I don't see any reduction in data rates of Vodafone in Mumbai for prepaid . Although I must say Vodafone 3g in Mumbai is upto 3mbps which is sometimes better than what jio is during peak hours .
Old 1st December 2016, 10:03   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
I am using airtel post paid, and I do not see any changes in the plans available. Any other operators like vodafone, idea offering better rates now?
I have seen reduction in vodafone postpaid plans, I was earlier on 899 plan, now I am getting the free calls and sms in 699 plan and with a added bonus of 2GB additional data.
I need reliability in my phone connection and I am sticking with Vodafone.
Old 1st December 2016, 14:11   #131
BHPian

Jio users to get free voice, data till March 31, says Mukesh Ambani

Source - ET
Old 1st December 2016, 14:19   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by concorde24 View Post
Jio users to get free voice, data till March 31, says Mukesh Ambani

Source - ET
Only for new customers from Dec 4th.
Old 1st December 2016, 14:59   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Only for new customers from Dec 4th.
No, offer is extended for existing customers as well till 31st March 2017.

Quote:
"Starting December 4, 2016, every new Jio user will get the data, voice, and full bouquet of the Jio apps free till 31 March 2017," Ambani said. "This is the Jio Happy New Year Offer. All our existing 52 million users will continue to enjoy the Welcome Offer till 31 December, and then automatically be signed up for the New Year Offer. No need to buy a new SIM."
Source
Old 1st December 2016, 15:22   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anky View Post
I don't see any reduction in data rates of Vodafone in Mumbai for prepaid . Although I must say Vodafone 3g in Mumbai is upto 3mbps which is sometimes better than what jio is during peak hours .
Try to port, and they will offer you their best rates. This was happening earlier as well but now with the "Jio mania", they seem to be offering much more attractive plans.

That said, if you have a free Jio sim, makes sense to downgrade your existing Airtel/Vodafone postpaid rent to bare minimum. I am on the base 199 plan now (Airtel). From 800-1000/month odd, my bills have come down to ~250-260/month. Even if such savings last for only 3 months, it's still paisa vasool for me.

These days I am using Jio for data as well calls. Call drops have reduced considerably from when I first started using Jio (sometime in Oct). Data connectivity was never a problem. Recently I did a trip to NE and was surprised to see the Jio network working flawlessly even in the far flung areas of Meghalaya. It stopped working only when we went terribly off the main route. But then, even Airtel was unusable even though signal strength was fair.
Old 2nd December 2016, 10:12   #135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Keep a tab on their plans. I did that via Airtel App and now for Rs. 1,199, I am getting 5GB 4G data free and all calls free [unlimited] no roaming, no STD, no charges on LL.

This plan is now revised to 1799 for Bihar.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks