Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2014, 17:05   #496
BHPian

Re: A Guide: Eating out in Pune

Hi Friends,

Iam new to Pune and originally being from Hyderabad, searching for some food joints/restaurants serving nice non-veg dishes. Can someone suggest me the best places for mutton kheema?

I live in Magarpatta and it would be helpful if the suggestions are from this part of the city!

Regards
CrankShaft
Old 28th May 2014, 17:27   #497
Senior - BHPian

There is one hotel called Kaveri Hotel, after Wagholi. Keep an eye open towards the right of the road after you cross Wagholi from Pune side, and you will see the hotel. It has a separate section for family, and is pretty crowded on Sunday. I have been there a few times, and I liked it. A budget chicken/mutton thali place. While you are there, don't forget order the 'soup' additionally, the taste is very remarkable.

I think they have mutton Kheema, but I haven't tasted it yet.
Old 28th May 2014, 17:44   #498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankShaft05 View Post
Hi Friends,

Iam new to Pune and originally being from Hyderabad, searching for some food joints/restaurants serving nice non-veg dishes. Can someone suggest me the best places for mutton kheema?

I live in Magarpatta and it would be helpful if the suggestions are from this part of the city!

Regards
CrankShaft
I wouldn't say that these places serve best Kheema (comparing to what you would get in HYD ), but you can try out the old restaurants in Camp area, but you'll have to check if they serve mutton or beef kheema. You can try out Baghban if you going with family or if out with guys you can try Diamond Queen.
Old 13th June 2014, 08:44   #499
BHPian

Had a chance to use Groupon coupons for following two restaurants in last couple of weeks :

1. Four points Sheraton: Located on nager road amongst the other 5 star hotels. Went for a buffet breakfast. The spread was very nice. Continental, south indian, north indian, milk shakes, fruits, live dosa and omlette counter. The food was delicious and the service was very fast as well. Special mention of hot coffee and waffles served. They also had bacon.
The ambience is good very typical of a 5 star hotel.

My rating 4.5/5

2. Fishland Bavdhan : This is newly opened restaurant on NDA Bavdhan road very close to my house. Everyday I pass by this restaurant and wanted to try this. However some reviews on zomato suggested it was very expensive for the fish they served. So I was waiting for a groupon deal to come up. Special fish thali for two people costed Rs. 575 which was around 45% discount over their regular menu price.

Food : The Surmai curry was served cold. The fish was good though. The fried rawas and bangda fish were nice. Sollkadi was ok types and they give only 2 chapatti with thali which is very less.

Ambience : It is good. AC was effective and tables are well spread out.
Overall for the deal I got it was satisfactory food. Wont go back to the hotel to eat at regular menu price.

My rating : 3/5
Old 13th June 2014, 10:55   #500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanedar View Post
2. Fishland Bavdhan : This is newly opened restaurant on NDA Bavdhan road very close to my house. Everyday I pass by this restaurant and wanted to try this. However some reviews on zomato suggested it was very expensive for the fish they served. So I was waiting for a groupon deal to come up. Special fish thali for two people costed Rs. 575 which was around 45% discount over their regular menu price.

Food : The Surmai curry was served cold. The fish was good though. The fried rawas and bangda fish were nice. Sollkadi was ok types and they give only 2 chapatti with thali which is very less.

My rating : 3/5
I would rate it 2 at max, even 1 may be. We had a very poor experience at Fishland. The food was served cold as you mentioned. The fried fish was all rubbery and even after replacing it with a fresh one, it was still the same.
The rice was dry too and we asked them to replace that too. But no use again.

Anyways, I prefer NISARG any time, even though its slightly expensive. I have had excellent experience always and the overall service experience is near perfect.

Cheers !
Old 13th June 2014, 11:06   #501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I would rate it 2 at max, even 1 may be. We had a very poor experience at Fishland. The food was served cold as you mentioned. The fried fish was all rubbery and even after replacing it with a fresh one, it was still the same.
The rice was dry too and we asked them to replace that too. But no use again.

Anyways, I prefer NISARG any time, even though its slightly expensive. I have had excellent experience always and the overall service experience is near perfect.

Cheers !
Since I got 45% discount I didn't feel too bad at fishland. It is definitely not worth the money they charge in regular menu.

Yes Nisarg is the best for sea food but the waiting time at peak hours put me off.

Have you been to Fish N Bait in viman nager? I am going to try that soon.
Old 13th June 2014, 12:17   #502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanedar View Post
Yes Nisarg is the best for sea food but the waiting time at peak hours put me off.
you should try Janjira in sadashiv peth, somebody mentioned on zomato its run by the same nisarg management so that means the food is good and unlike nisarg they do not have those long waiting hours, I have been hooked onto their food ever since my first visit and now rarely go to nisarg.
Old 13th June 2014, 12:27   #503
BHPian

Janjira is located on Shashtri Road.

Please try out the Chicken or Mutton Kheema Khichadi - its a must have. Also all the fish variety is great. Reasonable price too.
Old 15th June 2014, 08:58   #504
Senior - BHPian

Nisarg is quite expensive for what is offered
Try fish curry rice near Appa balwant chowk
I think they were opening an outlet off law college road
Old 22nd June 2014, 21:14   #505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Nisarg is quite expensive for what is offered
Try fish curry rice near Appa balwant chowk
I think they were opening an outlet off law college road
The Law College road outlet is operational. It is bang in the Athawale chowk (junction of canal road and Law college road), on the canal road side. I am yet to try their offerings, but I have heard that it was cheaper than Nisarg.

Another good outlet I found today was Kerala Curry Leaves. It is on Paud road, Bhusari colony. I tried puttu with kadala curry and appam with veg stew for breakfast, and both items were pretty good. VFM pricing, too...
Old 23rd June 2014, 09:05   #506
Senior - BHPian

Tried a new (for me) place called Wings off Bedekar Ganpati chowk on Paud road. Their chicken biryani and veg biryani is awesome. Best biryani I have had in kothrud for sure. Chicken was succulent, biryani was perfectly spiced too. Not the place for you if you like biryani with red chilly powder only.
True to their name they serve chicken wings, but I dont like wings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschivate View Post
The Law College road outlet is operational. It is bang in the Athawale chowk (junction of canal road and Law college road), on the canal road side.
Oh thats Athawale chowk? I didnt know the name!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschivate View Post
Another good outlet I found today was Kerala Curry Leaves. It is on Paud road, Bhusari colony.
Kerala curry leaves near Bhusari colony is my go to place for takeaways. They also make nice chicken maapas (a curry) and a decent egg biryani
The best part is their breakfast. wadas are quite authentic too
I think they have opened another outlet near More Vidyalaya bus stop on Paud road
Old 23rd June 2014, 09:22   #507
BHPian

I also tried Kerela Curry Leaves, and yes they have 2 outlets in Kothrud. One at Maharaja Complex in Bhusari Colony and the other one near Kranti Wines at More Vidyalaya Bus stop. The latter being just a pick-up point. The chicken nadan curry and chicken chettinad if paired with appam are fanatastic.

Also a new favourite of mine for home delivery or take-away is Happy Sing Da Kitchen, located near the RE showroom on Paud road. They serve some amazing Punjabi chicken curries. Their HAppy Sing Murg curry and Butter chicken are worth trying.
Old 26th June 2014, 13:24   #508
BHPian

Had a chance to visit FLAVORS restaurant in Seasons apartment hotel, Aundh.
It was for a lunch buffet. The buffet spread was very good. The restaurant is quiet congested and if the place is crowded it will be difficult to move around freely.
The ambience lighting is good though.
Coming to food : They had 2 soups. We ordered the sweet corn chicken and tasted nice.
Then came the starters. I think it was 3 non veg and 3 veg. Fish fry, chicken Manchurian, mirchi bhajji. Everything tasted authentic.
They had a good selection of salads. My favorite being the egg carrot salad.
Main course was the usual with no special mention.
However desserts were really awesome. They had the chocolate moong halwa, ras gulla, pastries. The halwa was my favorite.

Overall
Ambience : 3.5/5
Food : 4.5/5
Old 26th June 2014, 13:37   #509
Senior - BHPian

Tried Ambrosia after a long time for lunch buffet on Sunday. The place has been entirely renovated and is spotlessly clean

Food was also good, with decent starters (2 non veg and 1 veg) and good options for the main course (pad thai noodles, roast lamb in hunan sauce)

But I am sure we get better options for lunch/ brunch buffet within town at the same price (425+ taxes I think). One issue could be that all the tables seemed for bigger groups. I did not see any table for less than 8 people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaandBaaz View Post
Also a new favourite of mine for home delivery or take-away is Happy Sing Da Kitchen, located near the RE showroom on Paud road. They serve some amazing Punjabi chicken curries. Their HAppy Sing Murg curry and Butter chicken are worth trying.
I used to be a regular at Happy Singh da kitchen especially for takeaway but had a couple of instances where the chicken was not cleaned properly. This is a dealbreaker for me
Old 26th June 2014, 14:28   #510
BHPian

[quote=

I used to be a regular at Happy Singh da kitchen especially for takeaway but had a couple of instances where the chicken was not cleaned properly. This is a dealbreaker for me[/QUOTE]

Just out of curiosity how did you find out the chicken was not cleaned properly? Did they allow you to enter the cooking area? Or did the chicken taste bad and you had upset stomach?

Last edited by athanedar : 26th June 2014 at 14:29.

Most Viewed