Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2006, 13:34   #76
BHPian

Hi all, I know that this will be controversial, but I have to agree with naveendhyani. This guy who was pelting stones had no business trying to harm innocents who were just going about their own business. Will you start throwing stones at passing vehicles if somebody smears **** on your house? (Offtopic- should kaif's family have reacted that way? ) You will try to find that person and fight with that person, you wont go berserk and start attacking everyone else. This action by the person pelting stones is totally against the ideals of the person whose reputation this guy was tryng to avenge. Dr Ambedkar tried to raise the standards of living and to change the attitude of the people towards Dalits. He surely did not stand on the roads pelting stones at passers-by. Do you think he would have been revered by everyone if he had acted in that fashion?

I was actually quite pleased to hear that the mob killed the guy. Atleast the next time people start behaving in that fashion, they will know that there could be 'personal' repurcussions.

The people who actually burned the Deccan Queen should be booked under TADA. That was very clearly a Terrorist activity against the interests of the nation (we can only be slightly thankful that they emptied the train before setting it on fire).

Somebody suggested educating them. Pray tell me what we have been paying taxes through our noses for all these years? We pay huge amounts as Education Tax (2% of our Taxes) each year apart from the 33% some of which is supposed to go towards educating these so-called 'down-trodden' people (it certainly does not go towards roads, fly-overs, water, electricity and other infrastructural requirements). We lose any and all chances at a government job since all jobs are reserved for these 'so-called' Dalits. They have no interest in learning nor do they have any interest in doing a decent day's work. But they are the first to feel jealous of people who study and then work hard to achieve the good things in life and they are on the forefront for hand-outs in terms of admissions to schools, colleges and now even on higher education.

What they havent achieved after 60 years of reservations is not going to change in the next 600 years even if we reserve ALL school seats for them, coz they just dont have the right attitude.

PS : No offence intended towards the few who have managed to educate themselves and lead a normal, decent life, but i am talking of the majority.
Old 4th December 2006, 15:02   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliej View Post
Somebody suggested educating them. Pray tell me what we have been paying taxes through our noses for all these years? We pay huge amounts as Education Tax (2% of our Taxes) each year apart from the 33% some of which is supposed to go towards educating these so-called 'down-trodden' people (it certainly does not go towards roads, fly-overs, water, electricity and other infrastructural requirements). We lose any and all chances at a government job since all jobs are reserved for these 'so-called' Dalits. They have no interest in learning nor do they have any interest in doing a decent day's work. But they are the first to feel jealous of people who study and then work hard to achieve the good things in life and they are on the forefront for hand-outs in terms of admissions to schools, colleges and now even on higher education.

What they havent achieved after 60 years of reservations is not going to change in the next 600 years even if we reserve ALL school seats for them, coz they just dont have the right attitude.

PS : No offence intended towards the few who have managed to educate themselves and lead a normal, decent life, but i am talking of the majority.
While I may not agree with your entire post, I was trying to convey something on similar lines in my post. Govt. policies are simply making worse the divide and rule system of the british. How can you ever have reservations in perpetuity or for the 'creamy' layer? And that too is not the solution for hard work / merit. The govt. must in no uncertain terms spell out that govt. is only for infrastructure (and that too partly) law and order, equality for all and phased ending of dole/quota/subsidy systems, in effect stating you have to work for your lunch.

When diesel/petrol cost almost same to manufacture, it is absurd to have diesel used largely by commercial activity being subsidised by petrol, used nowadays only by mostly 2 wheelers and some petrolheads. And less said about kerosene and the adulteration mafia the better.
Old 4th December 2006, 15:03   #78
BHPian

its not a matter if the "bugger" pelting stones was from a higher cast or a lower cast, nybody doing so should be punished severely.
Old 4th December 2006, 15:10   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveendhyani View Post
its not a matter if the "bugger" pelting stones was from a higher cast or a lower cast, nybody doing so should be punished severely.
Exactly - equality for all. But sadly, depending on the situation, this is far from true. Many of the biggies get away with murder literally and in this case when politically expedient, even the small time hooligans. Ironically, they allegedly arrested the Deccan Queen engine driver's saviour for setting fire. Maybe because he simply hung around till the police came, while the hooligans had long gone vanished and to book them would take too much effort.
Old 4th December 2006, 15:28   #80
Senior - BHPian

Whatever the cause, people riot, damage public property, damage private property (throw stones at vehicles passing by). It has happened before. Its has happened now. No different this time. I won't be surprised if it happens again.

Can anything be done in this regard? If so who should do it and what should they do?
Old 4th December 2006, 16:07   #81

Well, according to V S Naipaul, these riots are a part of "a million mutinies" taking place all over the country. Growing pains, in other words.
Old 4th December 2006, 23:14   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
So take heart guys, maybe we still do have decent feelings for our fellow human beings and I do believe in the law taking its own course, corrupted though it may be or there is no end.
OFF TOPIC Man gets 7-year RI for raping minor-India-NEWS-The Times of India

this is how law takes its own course of action.

Last edited by naveendhyani : 4th December 2006 at 23:30.
Old 4th December 2006, 23:45   #83
Senior - BHPian

So Technocrat, the guy can pelt stones on moving cars, can cause deaths of innocent ppl, but if the affected ppl kill him in retaliation, its a problem??? I simply dont get it....

My policy is simple, dont mess with me, and I wont mess with you....
If you dont get that, well, ur not gonna last too long....
Old 5th December 2006, 09:35   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post

Technocrat, did you here that? ur not gonna last too long
Old 5th December 2006, 09:55   #85
BHPian

Quote:
I was actually quite pleased to hear that the mob killed the guy. Atleast the next time people start behaving in that fashion, they will know that there could be 'personal' repurcussions.
Really? Actually this guy's friends/relatives/community would treat this as an incident where he has been killed by their enemies/goondas from rival communities. They naturally would be waiting to take vengeance.

Quote:
The people who actually burned the Deccan Queen should be booked under TADA. That was very clearly a Terrorist activity against the interests of the nation (we can only be slightly thankful that they emptied the train before setting it on fire).
I agree with you here.

Quote:
Somebody suggested educating them. Pray tell me what we have been paying taxes through our noses for all these years? We pay huge amounts as Education Tax (2% of our Taxes) each year apart from the 33% some of which is supposed to go towards educating these so-called 'down-trodden' people (it certainly does not go towards roads, fly-overs, water, electricity and other infrastructural requirements). We lose any and all chances at a government job since all jobs are reserved for these 'so-called' Dalits.
By saying 'We' please don't include all BHPians with you.
What you said now is some thing we can here within almost all countries where Govts. are trying to help weaker sections in the society. We here exactly same voice in US and Europe by extreme right wing elements.

Quote:
They have no interest in learning nor do they have any interest in doing a decent day's work. But they are the first to feel jealous of people who study and then work hard to achieve the good things in life and they are on the forefront for hand-outs in terms of admissions to schools, colleges and now even on higher education.
This is too much. If you are talking about a single person whom you know, I can understand this. But according to you 'They' are all like this. Very funny.
Dear Wheeliej, please show some more maturity on issues like this.
Old 5th December 2006, 10:45   #86
BHPian

[quote=Wheeliej;332610]
1. I was actually quite pleased to hear that the mob killed the guy. Atleast the next time people start behaving in that fashion, they will know that there could be 'personal' repurcussions.
2. We lose any and all chances at a government job since s are reserved for these 'so-called' Dalits.
3. They have no interest in learning nor do they have any interest in doing a decent day's work. But they are the first to feel jealous of people who study and then work hard to achieve the good things in life and they are on the forefront for hand-outs in terms of admissions to schools, colleges and now even on higher education.

4. What they havent achieved after 60 years of reservations is not going to change in the next 600 years even if we reserve ALL school seats for them, coz they just dont have the right attitude.

[quote]

1. Are you Ok if the family of the 6 people killed in Bombay recently, when a speeding car hit their huts, also lynch the driver and other occupants of the car ? Why was every one screaming for law to take its own course then and singing a different tune now?
2. Personally , I wouldnt even spit at a government Job..but thats me. Besides only 27.5% is reserved for SC / STs. Not all.
3.Sorry , I dont agree. That is a very sweeping and condescending statement. There are good and bad human beings , with different capabilities in all castes / religions. Generalising is foolish IMO.
4. Well your right attitude may be wrong for some on else and vice versa. So stop sitting on judgement.

Last edited by w 12 : 5th December 2006 at 10:47.
Old 5th December 2006, 11:16   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
So Technocrat, the guy can pelt stones on moving cars, can cause deaths of innocent ppl, but if the affected ppl kill him in retaliation, its a problem??? I simply dont get it....

People & their interpretations phew. I said if people would have only roughed him up then I can understand but beating him to the extent that he dies is unacceptable.

@siva: yeah am very scared now & thats why I aint messing with him
Old 5th December 2006, 17:52   #88
Senior - BHPian

I just came across this nice quote from Mahatma Gandhi which I feel is very relevant to this thread

I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent
Old 5th December 2006, 17:56   #89
BHPian

we are in the age where the mute person is the dumbest. lets not show our strength by not doing things. we are proud of our history boasting that in our lifetime we never invaded any country. the result, we were j@cked, firstly by the mughals & then by the british.

so lets not think of "SATYUG" this is "KALYUG".
Old 5th December 2006, 19:04   #90
BHPian

I think people who advocate violence here completely underestimate the chances that this dude could be 'innocent', or was atleast harmless.

There's a reason why there's a due process of law; it's to protect the innocent. Condoning such incidents just allows mobs to resort to violence indiscriminately.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks