Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2021, 15:57   #286
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Books Thread (non-fiction)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Flawed on Nirav Modi. My god, what an outstanding book! Paval Lall is a story teller par excellence.
The same excellent storyteller / writer has come out with a new book on an equally big fraudster - Rana Kapoor! Giving this book also 5 / 5 stars. Very gripping, very engaging, finished it in 4 days worth of free time. Kapoor is a man whose web of lies & deceit are as big as his ego. As always, end of the day, it's the common man who pays. Whether you are interested in banking & finance or not, this book goes to my strongly recommended list.

The Books Thread (non-fiction)-screenshot-20210219-15.54.01.png
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st April 2021, 18:35   #287
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Putting in a 4 / 5 star rating and a recommendation for "Built to Fail : Blockbuster's Inevitable Bust". Written by an insider of the industry who ran DVD stores for the competition, and then Blockbuster stores too. Very straight no-nonsense writing style, kind of informal too. Shows how the company was completely tone-deaf to changes in market conditions, customer complaints and technology (DVD, Netflix). A giant that deserved to die. I don't think Blockbuster could've ever competed with Netflix, even if they had bet on video streaming.

The Books Thread (non-fiction)-screenshot-20210421-183117.png
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 10:18   #288
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Brad Stone's second book on Amazon & Jeff Bezos is exceptional. While the first book had covered the early years, this one is focused on the 2010+ decade. Includes very interesting chapters on their India entry, Alexa and so on. A must-read business book which I'm giving 5 / 5 stars.

The Books Thread (non-fiction)-screenshot-20210518-101608.jpg
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th May 2021, 22:45   #289
BHPian

A quick query everyone..what is the best source of buying original paperbacks online? I have received fake copies from both Amazon & Flipkart, and the crosswords website is just not optimised yet.

Usually the books come with ‘replacement’ options & not ‘return’, and sending them back for a similar one doesn’t make sense. Also, when I get them, it’s hard to resist to start reading but afterwards they don’t get the love they deserve (aka permanent place on the shelf).
Old 19th May 2021, 00:38   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickfox11 View Post
A quick query everyone..what is the best source of buying original paperbacks online? I have received fake copies from both Amazon & Flipkart, and the crosswords website is just not optimised yet.
From my experience: avoid Flipkart - they've been involved in really unethical practices for a very long time.

From Amazon, I generally buy from reputed sellers such as Cloudtail and uRead Store. My experience with both of these has been very good.

Other than this, you can contact The Bookshop (Jor Bagh) and Bahrisons on their instagram pages (I think Bahrisons has a website too) and order directly.
N.A.GTC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 00:02   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.A.GTC View Post
From Amazon, I generally buy from reputed sellers such as Cloudtail and uRead Store
A lot of times they do not have what you are looking for. So tried a few other sellers. They had above average reviews but..

Quote:
The Bookshop (Jor Bagh) and Bahrisons
Thank you, will look for them online. Hope they would ship interstate without fuss.
Old 23rd May 2021, 08:15   #292
BHPian

Quote:
A quick query everyone..what is the best source of buying original paperbacks online?
Do check out https://champaca.in they don't have an expansive collection, but a good curated list. But, due to lockdown in Karnataka, not sure if they are currently shipping.
whitewing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2021, 18:41   #293
BHPian

This week I managed to read “When Breath Becomes Air” – a book by Paul Kalanithi, a talented neurosurgeon from USA who was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer at the age of thirty six. When Paul was diagnosed with this dreadful disease, he decided to write this book in order to fulfil his ambition of becoming a writer.

I came across this title on Amazon while browsing their bestsellers list. The book had large number of reviews and almost all of them were positive so decided to give it a shot.

I will admit that I was a bit depressed after I finished this book. The last few pages of the book describing the final days of Paul were extremely difficult to read. This book will make you appreciate the role played by doctors and the entire medical fraternity in our lives.

The Books Thread (non-fiction)-index.jpg

Last edited by Saanil : 23rd May 2021 at 18:45.
Saanil is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 00:28   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Do check out https://champaca.in they don't have an expansive collection, but a good curated list. But, due to lockdown in Karnataka, not sure if they are currently shipping.
Thank you for this! They have a well curated collection and neatly created segments, including my fav ‘biographies & memoirs’. And their physical store looks like heaven!!
quickfox11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2021, 05:47   #295
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
I will admit that I was a bit depressed after I finished this book. The last few pages of the book describing the final days of Paul were extremely difficult to read. This book will make you appreciate the role played by doctors and the entire medical fraternity in our lives.
I read this book few months after it was published in Jan-Feb'2016. Some of those thoughts on faith are extremely hard to comprehend especially for some one who belongs to medical field. It can easily trigger an internal conflict. I must say he did see his light in the end.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 20:15   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Read these books in the last couple of months:

1) Let Me Say it Now - Rakesh Maria: an anecdotal autobiography of Mumbai's ex-CP. He recollects a variety of his experiences, most notably the '93 serial blasts and 26/11. And a variety of other instances that give a nice peek into India's Administrative Services, the Police machinery.
I got the kindle edition couple of days back. Available for free if you are a Prime member !
Very interesting read. I hope to complete it over this weekend.
shatananda.k is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 18:46   #297

Quote:
A quick query everyone..what is the best source of buying original paperbacks online?.
Hey @quickfox11 , you seem to be in Pune. You can try pagdandi book cafe located at baner pashan link road.
They seem to have a good collection and its in your city so you can always check the physical store out . Do check them out on Instagram and I think they have a website too.

https://instagram.com/pagdandi?utm_medium=copy_link

Happy reading
Tranz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 00:05   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranz View Post
Hey @quickfox11 , you seem to be in Pune. You can try pagdandi book cafe located at baner pashan link road

Happy reading
Thanks! I have been to the place. Did not know they started delivering as well.
Old 29th May 2021, 01:21   #299
Senior - BHPian

Finished reading "The Anarchy" by William Dalrymple.
Charts the rise of the East India Company leading to it's "takeover" of the entire country by subjugating not only the Mughal Empire but also various regional powers.
Written in a very lucid, narrative style, the book will appeal to history as well as non-history buffs alike!
Attached Thumbnails
The Books Thread (non-fiction)-images.jpeg  

arjab is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 16:57   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Finished reading "The Anarchy" by William Dalrymple.
Charts the rise of the East India Company leading to it's "takeover" of the entire country by subjugating not only the Mughal Empire but also various regional powers.
Written in a very lucid, narrative style, the book will appeal to history as well as non-history buffs alike!
Been wanting to read that. I tried reading Tharoor's Era of Darkness which I guess deals with the similar topic, but i could not finish it.

Shall give this one a try.

After reading Freedom at midnight (wow), Experiments with truth (meh), Discovery of India (wow), i decided to buy this:

Why I Assassinated Gandhi:
https://www.amazon.in/Why-Assassinat...dp/818929797X/

It was a good read and offered an in-depth look into the assassin's mind and his reasons for doing what he did.

To go into further detail, thinking of buying this now:

Why I Killed the Mahatma: Uncovering Godse's
https://www.amazon.in/Why-Killed-Mah...dp/B078X8YYX5/

After that, i really want to buy this, but the price is rather steep and doesn't seem to come down

Five Past Midnight in Bhopal: The Epic Story of the World's Deadliest Industrial Disaster
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/0446530883/

Could someone suggest any other book detailing that disaster?

And on a whim bought Tagore's "Nationalism". It was on Amazon for some 70 odd bucks and i just bought it.

Last edited by deathwalkr : 8th July 2021 at 16:59.
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks