Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2020, 12:19   #256
BHPian

Re: The Books Thread (non-fiction)

Slightly OT, but would be interested in knowing your sources for book recommendations.

a) Word of mouth
b) Online forums like this thread and https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...d-fiction.html (The Books Thread (Fiction))
c) Recommendation lists ( amazon.com, B&N, NYT list etc.)
d) GoodReads. Somehow since some time, the recommendations it throws up are not quite good.
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2020, 15:25   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Slightly OT, but would be interested in knowing your sources for book recommendations.
I generally rely on the following:

1. Word of mouth
2. Twitter (I enjoy books related to Foreign Policy, History, State craft, et al)
3. Interviews and online forums

I have maintained a reading list since long. Adding some context to the reading list helps a lot.

Here is a snapshot of my reading list:

28. In the US, it took the Great Depression of the 1930s to move its small and medium-size farmers into urban areas. It was a harrowing tale best described in John Steinbeck’s novel The Grapes of Wrath.
29. Spies In The Himalayas - kohli and Kenneth Conboy - book about the radiation device we lost at Nanda Devi
30. The mystery continues to resonate. In a recent book, Becoming A Mountain: Himalayan Journeys In Search Of The Sacred And The Sublime, Stephen Alter, the Mussoorie-based author of 15 books, including a few on the Himalayas, describes the espionage episode as “Desecration”.
31. American author and climber Pete Takeda, who authored the book An Eye At The Top Of The World: The Terrifying Legacy Of The Cold War’s Most Daring CIA Operation
32. Swami Vivekananda’s*complete works -*http://www.vivekananda.net/Library.html
33. The Complete Story of Indian Reforms: 2G, Power & Private Enterprise — A Practitioner’s Diary*, is better known in the media for some of its “startling revelations” about the 2G scam.
Rohan Gunaratna’s book, Indian Intervention in Sri Lanka, should easily be among the most exhaustive and authoritative accounts that exist on New Delhi’s fatal decisions to stop the decimation of the LTTE in 1987 and send in the IPKF months thereafter in pursuit of the group.

48. Book titled 'Kargil: Turning the Tide', which was launched here on Monday evening, is a first-hand narrative of the operations of 8 Mountain Division, which was tasked to evict the enemy from the Drass-Mushkoh Sector during 'Operation*
49. BrahMos director A. Sivathanu Pillai has written in his book ‘The Path Unexplored’ how he checkmated serving military generals who attempted to scuttle the missile
50. Sita Ram Goel has set out four hundred pages of extracts and evidence from the leading Islamic historians of those days in his decisive work, Hindu Temples: What Happened to Them, The Islamic Evidence. (Arun Shourie recommends this book)
51. William Shirer's Berlin Diary : The journal of a foreign correspondent ( Black Swan author says that this book taught him the most about philosophy and theoretical history as it tells events (history) as they were taking place and not after they had occurred)
Abhineet Singh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th September 2020, 12:26   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhineet Singh View Post

29. Spies In The Himalayas - kohli and Kenneth Conboy - book about the radiation device we lost at Nanda Devi
I've been trying to find this book everywhere. A source would be much appreciated
Old 28th September 2020, 15:31   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
I've been trying to find this book everywhere. A source would be much appreciated
I haven't found them, at reasonable rates, anywhere. While they are available on Amazon, the price varies from 3000-4000 INR.

That is why they are still on the reading list.
Abhineet Singh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 12:53   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhineet Singh View Post
I haven't found them, at reasonable rates, anywhere. While they are available on Amazon, the price varies from 3000-4000 INR.
That is why they are still on the reading list.
I had chanced upon this book more than a decade and a half back in a local lending library (it was already struggling and has long shut shop since) - the book itself was in a beaten down condition. At that time of reading, I wasn't really sure if I'd read a piece of fictional history or a real incident - but sure made a fun read.

https://www.kobo.com/in/en/ebook/spies-in-the-himalayas is available at 1.5k. But not sure if importing is allowed in Kindle.
whitewing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2020, 17:49   #261
Team-BHP Support

Read these books in the last couple of months:

1) Let Me Say it Now - Rakesh Maria: an anecdotal autobiography of Mumbai's ex-CP. He recollects a variety of his experiences, most notably the '93 serial blasts and 26/11. And a variety of other instances that give a nice peek into India's Administrative Services, the Police machinery.

4/5

The Books Thread (non-fiction)-2.jpg

2) The Kaoboys of R&AW - B Raman: an anecdotal autobiography by an ex-agent of R&AW. A nice recollection of various instances where R&AW/IB was involved. Also highlights the frustrating interference/indifference by the political class.

3.5/5

The Books Thread (non-fiction)-1.jpg

I read this book right after I read Mossad, which made the experience a little more frustrating.

3) Mossad - quite the thriller to be honest. Explains in detail several aspects of the Israel - Palestine conflict, and also the covert operations during several events that are so popular in public memory - Munich Olympics, the MIG-2, Entebbe hijacking and so on. One of the bets books I've read so far.

Having watched The Spy and Fauda made this book an even more fascinating read.

5/5

The Books Thread (non-fiction)-3.jpg

Last edited by libranof1987 : 29th September 2020 at 17:50.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 14:07   #262
BHPian

Quote:
This is one good source for recommendations. I always go back to this whenever I have to buy a new one.

https://www.gatesnotes.com/Books
casnov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 18:51   #263
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Slightly OT, but would be interested in knowing your sources for book recommendations
- This thread.

- Amazon's recommendations, "products related to this item" and "customers who viewed this item also viewed" (find a lot that way).

- 90% of my books are about business, and I am also a subscriber to NYTimes, Bloomberg, Wall Street Journal, Fortune etc. So if there is any big-name book that is launching, these publications cover it. Most recent one I found this way was the the one by Reed Hastings.

I wish there was something like Spotify for books. Spotify's music discovery tools are insanely awesome and it's all based on your existing music preferences.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 19:39   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- I wish there was something like Spotify for books. Spotify's music discovery tools are insanely awesome and it's all based on your existing music preferences.
While i dont remember any Spotify for books, i do use Goodreads to help aid in book selection. Also, The Hindu literary review helps a lot. Some of the books there are quite difficult to read, but then Hindu is such a paper
subraiyr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 06:33   #265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Most recent one I found this way was the the one by Reed Hastings.
Thank you for sharing this - bookmarked it for the next read.

Majority of my books are on business (biographies) - currently starting the "The Tatas: How a Family Built a Business and a Nation". Mind sharing other recent/good finds?

P.s. I think I'll have to go back and search through this thread again!

Edit: Just saw your kindle snapshots on the first post of this thread - so many common (read) books - Ambani & Sons, Dongri to Dubai, Iacocca, Steve Jobs, The Maruti Story, etc.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 6th October 2020 at 06:38.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 07:07   #266
Senior - BHPian

Good book indeed, thanks. Part business lessons, part personal journey, this book is consistently engaging. The narratives of Pixar, Lucasfilms and Marvel were all fascinating.
Quote:
Loved the legendary Bog Iger's book - The ride of a lifetime
Attached Thumbnails
The Books Thread (non-fiction)-img_6012.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 15:26   #267
Team-BHP Support

To move away from biographies, here are some written by science community.
  • Physics and Philosophy by Werner Heisenberg : A book beyond the classic uncertainty! (link)
  • Structure of Scientific Revolution by Thomas Kuhn (A Classic! but slow) : (link)
  • Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl (link)
  • Astonishing Hypothesis : Scientific Search for the Soul. by Crick (On the hotly debated topic of spirtuality (link)
  • A Mathematician's Apology : By GH Hardy (link)

Last edited by ampere : 11th October 2020 at 15:34.
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2020, 13:29   #268
Senior - BHPian

I wanted to read about the birth of Netflix. But this book is more about bragging rights. I loved that Marc Randolph gave us an in-depth insight, but the writing leaves much to be desired. A lot happened to get this giant Company started and the facts are there
Attached Thumbnails
The Books Thread (non-fiction)-img_7791.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 14:21   #269
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Excellent book on WeWork's rise & fall. I especially loved how the author explains their botched up IPO. Will give it 4 / 5 stars. An impressive company that was grossly overvalued.

Amazon Link

The Books Thread (non-fiction)-screenshot-20201109-14.19.44.png
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 16:58   #270
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Don't know how this flew under the radar, but this one is an EXCELLENT book on the Satyam fiasco and how things went down. Reads like a movie drama (which it was, I guess). The author has done his research and clearly has inside info. Very well written.

5 / 5 stars. Will be of interest to business as well as IT industry folk.

The double life of Ramalinga Raju

The Books Thread (non-fiction)-412xq9kj2dl-1.jpg
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks