Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2022, 11:17   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Books Thread (non-fiction)

V.D Savarkar: Hindutva

https://www.amazon.in/Hindutva-V-D-S...dp/8188388254/

With all the brouhaha surrounding him and his views, i decided to read it and see what the fuss was all about.

The early chapters of the book did not have much of a flow to it and was confusing at times which i guess is understandable considering he wrote it while imprisoned in Kalapani prison.

But as the book progresses he brings his thoughts into clarity and is able to pen better and makes for better reading.

Interesting thoughts he brings to words and gives us perspective amidst all the political mudslinging based on him these days.

Dr B.R Ambedkar: Pakistan or the Partition of India

https://www.amazon.in/Pakistan-Parti...dp/9382842454/

What a heavy tome this is. Both literally and figuratively. The man has so much information it really does not make for quick reading. I can only read a few pages a day. He breaks down the for and against arguments about the partition and it really is an eye opener.

Just at the quarter mark now and am already amazed by this great man's book!
deathwalkr is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 15:43   #317
Senior - BHPian

"Phantoms in the brain" by V.S. Ramachandran, a renowned neuroscientist. Discusses how we construct the body image, self-deception. A good read for those interested in psychology, neurology.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 12th February 2022 at 19:04. Reason: Author name corrected, as requested.
adisan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 16:25   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisan View Post
"Phantoms in the brain" by V.S.Ramakrishnan, a renowned neuroscientist. Discusses how we construct the body image, self-deception. A good read for those interested in psychology, neurology.
Haven't read this but have seen it mentioned somewhere a while ago. I think the writer is V S Ramachandran and not V S Ramakrishnan.
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 17:03   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post

Dr B.R Ambedkar: Pakistan or the Partition of India

https://www.amazon.in/Pakistan-Parti...dp/9382842454/

What a heavy tome this is. Both literally and figuratively. The man has so much information it really does not make for quick reading. I can only read a few pages a day. He breaks down the for and against arguments about the partition and it really is an eye opener.

Just at the quarter mark now and am already amazed by this great man's book!
A fascinating book with staggering amounts of data and research. An eye opener.

Do check out Narendra Singh Sarila's book on Partition. Mr Sarila was Aide de camp to Mountbatten and later joined IFS. He was close to the action leading to the partition. Another eye opener.

The Shadow of the Great Game: The Untold Story of India's Partition https://www.amazon.in/dp/8172238746/...77FEWM6WPTK4N2

Both these books are complementary. Its a diferrent take on partition history to whats been fed to us over the years.
C300 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 17:24   #320
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
A fascinating book with staggering amounts of data and research. An eye opener.

Do check out Narendra Singh Sarila's book on Partition. Mr Sarila was Aide de camp to Mountbatten and later joined IFS. He was close to the action leading to the partition. Another eye opener.

The Shadow of the Great Game: The Untold Story of India's Partition https://www.amazon.in/dp/8172238746/...77FEWM6WPTK4N2

Both these books are complementary. Its a different take on partition history to whats been fed to us over the years.
Thanks for the recommendation. I have added it to my cart. Shall get it after I finish Ambedkar's book and I have Savarkar's book on the 1857 mutiny to finish after that. I think I started my history reading with Freedom at Midnight and sort of just hooked on to it after that.

After having read Godse's book on why he killed Gandhi, I now have to read Koenraad Elst's book where he supposedly goes into the facts/falsehoods behind Godse's reasonings for doing what he did.

Another topic close to my hometown is the often argued about incident called the Malabar Rebellion. C Gopalan Nair's book was an eye opener and have to read about more from other authors now.

My wife gifted me Patel's biography and that is half read as well.

Sigh, so much to read and so little time. It does not help that these are not quick page turners
deathwalkr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2022, 08:51   #321
BANNED

"Shadows of the Mind :A Search for the Missing Science of Consciousness " by Roger Penrose. This is a 1994 book by Oxford mathematical physicist Roger Penrose that serves as a follow-up to his 1989 book The Emperor's New Mind: Concerning Computers, Minds and The Laws of Physics.

This is a gritty, heavy tome and I'm sure would be gripping for those fascinated by the subject. I was too, but by the end of the book my fascination had evaporated!
shashanka is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 14:01   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I wanted to read about the birth of Netflix. But this book is more about bragging rights. I loved that Marc Randolph gave us an in-depth insight, but the writing leaves much to be desired. A lot happened to get this giant Company started and the facts are there
If you loved this book, you might like this one as well.

The Books Thread (non-fiction)-netflix.jpg

It's about Netflix culture along with some reasons behind it. Many areas can't be implemented as is especially the way Indian senior management folks work. Ideas in this book can be good source for those who want to build great company culture.
sukiwa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th March 2022, 14:12   #323
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
If you loved this book, you might like this one as well.

Attachment 2282538

It's about Netflix culture along with some reasons behind it. Many areas can't be implemented as is especially the way Indian senior management folks work. Ideas in this book can be good source for those who want to build great company culture.
GTO had shared a similar recommendation on this in the past.

I started it and dropped it after finishing about half of the book. A disclaimer to all planning to take up this book - the narration is not similar to other business biographies where they talk about how the company founders went about creating business, ups & downs and so on.

Instead the narration is more aligned to a documentary/TED-talk/management classes kind of construct where they talk about different problem statements of an organization (e.g. how to map payscales to employees to get new and retain existing employees) and how Netflix went about doing it.

Honestly I found it extremely slow and not the default construct I enjoy reading business biographies (for example 'Super Pumped' by Mike Isaac for Uber, 'No Filter' by Sarah Frier for Instagram, etc.)

My rating: 3 / 5 (reduced rating not for the content, but for the construct of the book)
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 13:32   #324
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Recently, read this book 'The Ultimate Goal' by Vikram Sood, Former R&AW Chief, which has brought forth the different aspects of 'narratives' since World War 2. It touches from the behind the scenes operators, Hollywood, media houses and provide context behind narratives from different nations perspectives - West, Russia, China and India.

He admits that most of it based on Western information since many files were routinely declassified after a period of time as well the English research available compared to Soviet/Russia. There are plenty of references are available almost for each line and interesting historical tidbits that spices up the topics.

Given the Geopolitical events happening now, it may be a good read for people interested in the historic events.

Caveat emptor: Author is associated with ORF now and the book is from Harpercollins (Robert Murdoch controlled). So in the true sense of 'narratives' exercise your own judgement and draw conclusions.
Attached Thumbnails
The Books Thread (non-fiction)-ultimate-goalfront-cover.jpg  

The Books Thread (non-fiction)-ultimate-goalback-cover.jpg  

thanixravindran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2022, 17:52   #325
BHPian

Name:  273726C4ADAD444E826969FCED100425.jpeg
Views: 466
Size:  37.6 KB

Finished this recently. It’s is one of the thinnest book I have ever read, and one of the most impactful as well. Highly recommended if someone is into philosophy/self improvement kind of books.

Last edited by warrioraks : 13th March 2022 at 17:53.
warrioraks is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 17:55   #326
Senior - BHPian

Unleash the Warrior Within: Develop the Focus, Discipline, Confidence, and Courage You Need to Achieve Unlimited Goals

Author: Richard Machowicz

Bought it about 20 years ago,and have re-read it several times till date. Includes several anecdotes from his real-life training and assignments to illustrate and reinforce the points.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th April 2022 at 19:59. Reason: As requested.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2022, 22:34   #327
BHPian

Read this fantastic book, Mrs. Gandhi’s last battle by Mark Tully and Satish Jacob based on the factors leading up to the Operation Blue Star and it’s after effect both in terms of the politics in the country and the unity of India. The events were brilliantly analysed and presented.

The Books Thread (non-fiction)-72ef5d7c58114837a74a877ebff1b674.jpeg
sahil624 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2022, 11:49   #328
Senior - BHPian

Repacking Your Bags
-- Richard Leider & David Shapiro

A guide to revisit all the beliefs, habits, choices we made in the past. Focuses on work, relationships and home.
Find all that stands in the way of our joy.
Decide what all needs to be retained, what all can be let go.

I bought the first edition about 20 years back, they have revised editions available now.
Old 19th May 2022, 14:08   #329
GTO
Team-BHP Support

After a long time, got the chance to sink my teeth into an A+ business book. Giving After Steve: How Apple became a Trillion-Dollar Company and lost its soul a 4 / 5 star rating. Would certainly recommend it to business-read lovers as well as technology fans. Shows life after Jobs for Apple, what all Cook did, Ive's struggles, their first post-Jobs product (Apple Watch) and more.

Very well-written .
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 11:27   #330
BHPian

Recently finished hearing (on Audible) the book "Cockpit Confidential: Everything You Need to Know About Air Travel: Questions, Answers, and Reflections"

For those interested and fascinated by air travel, this is a good book which answers most basic questions about flying and also provides deep insights into the life of pilots.
The book also busts many myths about flying as well.

"Heard" the book on audible instead of reading and the narration was also quite good.
anand_roy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks