Team-BHP > Shifting gears


View Poll Results: How do you feel about Veganism?
I am one already! 44 10.26%
I love my tandoori chicken! 253 58.97%
I am vegetarian/pescatarian etc etc. 107 24.94%
Veganism excites me and I want to know more 44 10.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2018, 17:03   #211
Senior - BHPian
 
vibbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SG
Posts: 1,109
Thanked: 1,903 Times
Default Re: The Veganism & Vegetarian Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
This is a front page news on TOI print edition. Interestingly they have also listed other prominent Vegan sport persons (William sisters, Carls lewis, Tiger-woods, Lewis Hamilton) who all happened to be African-Americans. Is it just coincidence?
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Novak Djokovic also made news when he turned vegan (I think he isn't anymore). In fact, his diet was under a lot of scrutiny as a potential reason for his lack of form. He also set up a vegan restaurant in Monte Carlo in 2016.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Mike Tyson is another African-American Vegan.
Well closer home, Virat Kohli has turned Vegan to improve his fitness more.

Last edited by GTO : 8th October 2018 at 08:14. Reason: Quoted post edited
vibbs is offline  
Old 7th October 2018, 19:17   #212
Senior - BHPian
 
ninjatalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: BOM
Posts: 2,366
Thanked: 5,499 Times
Default Re: The Veganism & Vegetarian Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Baked Pumpkin Fries
...
Spread them out on a parchment paper. Into a preheated oven at 180C for 25 minutes.
That's a beautiful snack; thanks for sharing. Any means of doing this without an oven or a microwave (that's the situation @my place).

Edit: Google to the rescue
Link 1
Link 2


Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Well closer home, Virat Kohli has turned Vegan to improve his fitness more.
Lol - that celebrity turning vegan trail started with Virat Kohli's new nibbit; you just repeated it again

Last edited by ninjatalli : 7th October 2018 at 19:24.
ninjatalli is offline  
Old 8th October 2018, 03:46   #213
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 4,058
Thanked: 3,440 Times
Default Re: The Veganism & Vegetarian Thread

Chandigarh bhpians please take note. I have been recommended this one by a few vegan friends of mine. Looks like a great place and the reviews are pretty good too.

https://www.zomato.com/chandigarh/aj...lthy-sector-11
extreme_torque is offline  
Old 8th October 2018, 07:29   #214
Senior - BHPian
 
vibbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SG
Posts: 1,109
Thanked: 1,903 Times
Default Re: The Veganism & Vegetarian Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

Lol - that celebrity turning vegan trail started with Virat Kohli's new nibbit; you just repeated it again
Oops

By the way, glad this thread has moved on from defending Veganism to sharing good Vegan/Vegetarian recipes and option. Hooked on now, as cooking for me has always been trying new Meat based recipes. Will be interesting to try some from the other side of the spectrum as well.
vibbs is offline  
Old 8th October 2018, 10:33   #215
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,078
Thanked: 3,891 Times
Default Re: The Veganism & Vegetarian Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Mike Tyson is another African-American Vegan.
Who, this guy?! https://cdn.images.dailystar.co.uk/d...ear-616182.jpg



So sorry, could not resist.

But on a serious note, I think there are too many celebrities who 'turn vegan' just as a fad. And there are too many media outlets who pander to them as news. Really does not do the genuine vegans (who opt to be so for ethical reasons) any favours.
am1m is offline  
Old 8th October 2018, 11:17   #216
Senior - BHPian
 
ninjatalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: BOM
Posts: 2,366
Thanked: 5,499 Times
Default Re: The Veganism & Vegetarian Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
But on a serious note, I think there are too many celebrities who 'turn vegan' just as a fad. And there are too many media outlets who pander to them as news. Really does not do the genuine vegans (who opt to be so for ethical reasons) any favours.
Actually not all of them have done it as a fad; some of them have taken informed decisions. For several you are right; some of them have also rolled back on their vegan journeys

Some of them have taken a multiple change aspect approach; leaving meat on the table is just one of them and not necessarily the key one. For e.g. Serena Williams has also dropped sugar which is a key component improving her health.

Others have chosen vegan reflecting their views on animal cruelty (or atleast a diet that limits their involvement) (eg. Ellen, Natalie Portman, etc)

But yes - it is very refreshing to get out of that repetitive, never-ending discussion. I tried putting the point a few times, but didn't make a difference at all


@Mods,
Can we remove the other posts (on the argument) and limit this thread to only those that talk about the vegan lifestyle and diet/restaurant/other details shared? There aren't many such posts; at most the first 2-3 pages and the last two pages are all that do not focus on arguments.
ninjatalli is offline  
Old 8th October 2018, 17:41   #217
Senior - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gurugram
Posts: 7,937
Thanked: 4,638 Times
Default Re: The Veganism & Vegetarian Thread

Now Virat Kohli also reveals that he is now a vegan. I keep my comments on his statement that he feels fitter. Let us see how things work out.
sgiitk is offline  
Old 8th October 2018, 18:35   #218
Senior - BHPian
 
dailydriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: KA - IND
Posts: 1,089
Thanked: 3,690 Times
Default Re: The Veganism & Vegetarian Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Virat Kohli has announced that he has been a Vegan for a couple of months
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Virat Kohli has turned Vegan to improve his fitness more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Now Virat Kohli also reveals that he is now a vegan
Having egged on three Bhpians to share this information on the forum, Virat will no doubt be an inspiration to scores of others. I can clearly recall many budding cricketers - specifically fast bowlers - among my friends, turn to curd rice as a source of energy when it emerged in the media that Javagal Srinath ate it (?) before every match.

I am a vegetarian by choice. But veganism is something I don't see myself getting used to, mainly because of the necessity to consume milk and its byproducts.
dailydriver is offline  
Old 15th October 2018, 10:03   #219
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 24,536
Thanked: 27,244 Times
Default Re: The Veganism & Vegetarian Thread

How do Vegans step around the fact that fossil fuels are animal products? Because the animal is already dead?

https://www.quora.com/Is-diesel-petrol-vegan
Samurai is offline  
Old 15th October 2018, 14:39   #220
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 4,058
Thanked: 3,440 Times
Default Re: The Veganism & Vegetarian Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
How do Vegans step around the fact that fossil fuels are animal products? Because the animal is already dead?

https://www.quora.com/Is-diesel-petrol-vegan
Unless the animals were killed for making diesel or petrol, it is vegan as far as I am concerned. The answer on the quora thread quoted by you has other questions raised on the ethics of using petroleum products given they are damaging to the environment and all the other life forms.
extreme_torque is offline  
Old 19th October 2018, 22:26   #221
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Semi-nomadic
Posts: 141
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: The Veganism & Vegetarian Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
But on a serious note, I think there are too many celebrities who 'turn vegan' just as a fad. And there are too many media outlets who pander to them as news. Really does not do the genuine vegans (who opt to be so for ethical reasons) any favours.

Can't speak for others but as a vegan for ethical reasons I am happy when anyone at all tries to go vegan as it means lives saved.
'72 Bullet is offline  
Old 4th January 2019, 19:35   #222
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Semi-nomadic
Posts: 141
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: The Veganism & Vegetarian Thread

Anyone on Team-BHP tryingout Veganuary?

This article might help - https://www.thenational.ae/lifestyle...wrong-1.809040
'72 Bullet is offline  
Old 9th January 2019, 11:06   #223
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Delhi NCR
Posts: 78
Thanked: 137 Times
Default Re: The Veganism & Vegetarian Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydriver View Post
But veganism is something I don't see myself getting used to, mainly because of the necessity to consume milk and its byproducts.
Hi Daily Driver,

Drawing from what you say, may I request you to think and ponder over certain further questions:

1. Is there a "medical necessity" to consume milk?

2. Humans stop consuming milk from their mother's body at about 1-2 years of age (on the higher side I think), which is the time around which mother's body stops producing milk. If nature and evolution made it naturally that way, isn't that indicative of the fact that our need for milk is actually limited for the initial 1-2 years of our life?

3. Every mother's (female mammal's) body produces milk for its own offspring. Is it fair and just for us to snatch / forcefully take that milk for our own use?

I do not intend to preach, but these are the questions I asked myself and have since stopped consuming milk. Just sharing thoughts, to each his own.
Touringlawyer is offline  
Old 9th January 2019, 11:39   #224
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 4,362
Thanked: 2,223 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Default Re: The Veganism & Vegetarian Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touringlawyer View Post
Drawing from what you say, may I request you to think and ponder over certain further questions:
I think the problem including me is to find easy alternatives. At least as easy as availability of milk products. The supply chain itself might be geared for and against some products.

As long as we say what we think and show what we do, its not preachy at all. Kudos to you that you are sticking to your thinking.

Last edited by aah78 : 9th January 2019 at 19:59. Reason: Quote size edited.
srishiva is offline  
Old 9th January 2019, 12:13   #225
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,078
Thanked: 3,891 Times
Default Re: The Veganism & Vegetarian Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touringlawyer View Post
If nature and evolution made it naturally that way, isn't that indicative of the fact that our need for milk is actually limited for the initial 1-2 years of our life?
As you said to each his own and I applaud the moral aspects that lead people to give up dairy.

But as far as the 'unnatural' aspect of consuming dairy goes, I'm not sure that view matches the scientific facts. (This is based on an article in a respected scientific journal, any doctors on the forum can please weigh in.)

Nature/evolution does not work that way. There is no end goal in mind or some 'better' or 'worse' end result. Random chance, natural selection, different outcomes, some successful some not so successful are all a part of the process (it's not even a process, it just goes on).

There are some populations that have historically consumed milk for generations and their bodies have adapted to process milk better. There are populations where milk consumption has been historically low, perhaps because of the absence of a cattle-rearing culture in their prehistory and those populations show a higher incidence of lactose intolerance. So it would be inaccurate to blanket-classify the consumption of dairy as unnatural for all humans.

That is not to say there aren't other sources for the nutrients that dairy produces. The easy (as someone has already pointed out, the dairy industry has become so developed that that source is certainly the most conveniently available) and cost-effective availability of those sources for all people, especially lower-income populations is another matter altogether.

That is also not to dispute that it is perhaps more ethical to not consume dairy.

Just addressing the 'dairy not being a natural source of food' aspect. I think that's false. Again, would appreciate some more qualified opinions on this from medical professionals and nutritionists.

Last edited by am1m : 9th January 2019 at 12:41.
am1m is offline  
Closed Thread

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks