Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Old 7th January 2020, 21:29   #136
BHPian

Default Re: #MeToo - Women's Safety in India

Update on Nirbhaya case

Quote:
A Delhi Court today issued death warrant against four convicts in the 2012 Nirbhaya gang-rape and murder case. The hanging will take place on January 22 at 7 am.

During the hearing, the prosecution said there was no application pending before any court or the President right now by any of the convicts and the review petition of all the convicts was dismissed by the Supreme Court
Link
JoshMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 17:41   #137
Team-BHP Support

Last week, an US congressman abused the youngest US congresswoman in history in front of the Congress building, he even used profanity. She didn't react much, but the reporters at the scene reported the story far and wide because the victim was none other than the very famous AOC.

Because of the resulting backlash from public and media, next day the US congressman decided to justify his behavior by offering a non-apology at the US congress floor. That was a very big mistake.

AOC responded by giving the greatest speech ever on the status of women in US society. That too in the floor of US congress, to be preserved forever. Most people had never heard of Congressman Yoho before this. Now will he go down as the target of one of the greatest speeches ever on women's rights.

Here is the full speech.

Samurai is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 20:43   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow. What an amazing human being she is.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 21:30   #139
Team-BHP Support

What a Speech.

I especially loved the part after 8:30 when she starts thanking the disgusting scoundrel.
bblost is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 21:57   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

I knew almost nothing about her, except that she had been the target of some Trumpian nonsense, and I recall some footage of her eviscerating somebody, Zuckerberg, I think, in a committee hearing. From the intelligence and surgical skill of her questioning I assumed that her background must be that of a successful adversarial advocate. Ha! Couldn't have been more wrong.

Anyway... count me a fan
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed