Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2014, 15:22   #2161
Team-BHP Support

The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771 View Post
Hi Axe nice bike,did you get it from Keny.

That's right Yogi. I did buy it from Keny. I believe he had imported 4 pieces.

Last edited by Axe77 : 28th November 2014 at 15:24.
Old 28th November 2014, 19:07   #2162
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Update: I bought the Montra Blues. Went to Decathlon in the evening to try the Riverside again, but still felt more comfortable riding the Montra.
Thanks Hitanshu, Fintail, Shipnil for helping me make up my mind.
As Hitanshu said, it's more important to hit the road, and that starts tomorrow.
Wish me all the best gentlemen.
bhai!

Do you really need the front shocks?!

Please try and go return this for a rigid fork bike. You'll be happier unless you have totally broken roads around your house.

using it is like jumping around on a pogo stick - you waste some energy!
Old 28th November 2014, 20:05   #2163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
bhai!

Please try and go return this for a rigid fork bike. You'll be happier unless you have totally broken roads around your house.

A classic case of- Too little, too late.

A front shock is needed, IMO. Specially, when you have 'em lovely slicks, you'll love to corner, MotoGPishtyle!

How do roadies handle that? I'm not really sure.

And the ghat roads around Pune are truly epic. Touch nearly 65 on the straights, and for a sharp downhill turn, slow down in a couple of seconds, bend, turn, and wow! The feel of the suspension damping, the slicks sending inputs about the imperfections on the road! Ah!....

Of course, doing this too much, will result you getting a roadie, which is altogether another matter.

If there were any vehicle which truly was a joy to drive, (ride, in this case), would be a hardtail MTB, running on the thinnest slicks possible. This, of course, is subject to various factors.
Old 28th November 2014, 20:44   #2164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
After some research on fast road oriented hybrids I decided to take the plunge and directly buy a nice road bike instead. Bit of a punt considering the last time I cycled was more than 20 years ago when I was in my mid teens. Loving it though and glad I went the roadie way.

Here's a pic. It's a Pinarello FP Uno 2013 model. Just got it today.

Attachment 1313087
Awesome Bike, I am also planning to buy a road bike. Would mind share the cost?
Old 28th November 2014, 22:00   #2165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
bhai!

Yes, someone else in my extended family, who is an avid cyclist also told as much about the front shocks. However, near-abouts where I live, roads have speed breakers about every 200-500 meters as also quite a few pot-holes and ruts.
Today morning, I started with a light 11.5 km ride and felt better 'coz of the front shockers. I could already feel what you mean by the efficiency loss, due to the vertical travel, but I guess the roads here, need it.
Old 29th November 2014, 09:22   #2166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Yes, someone else in my extended family, who is an avid cyclist also told as much about the front shocks. However, near-abouts where I live, roads have speed breakers about every 200-500 meters as also quite a few pot-holes and ruts.
Today morning, I started with a light 11.5 km ride and felt better 'coz of the front shockers. I could already feel what you mean by the efficiency loss, due to the vertical travel, but I guess the roads here, need it.
Then that's fine.

Key right now is to ride 20-30km everyday. Regularity >>> anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
A classic case of- Too little, too late.

A front shock is needed, IMO. Specially, when you have 'em lovely slicks, you'll love to corner, MotoGPishtyle!

How do roadies handle that? I'm not really sure.

And the ghat roads around Pune are truly epic. Touch nearly 65 on the straights, and for a sharp downhill turn, slow down in a couple of seconds, bend, turn, and wow! The feel of the suspension damping, the slicks sending inputs about the imperfections on the road! Ah!....

Of course, doing this too much, will result you getting a roadie, which is altogether another matter.

If there were any vehicle which truly was a joy to drive, (ride, in this case), would be a hardtail MTB, running on the thinnest slicks possible. This, of course, is subject to various factors.
Sir, I have survived just fine 1.5 years on gurgaon's crappy roads with a regular roadie and my 100+ kg weight bearing down on the bike.

To each their own. IMO for fitness, you need to get going with speed and covering decent distance everyday.

Soon Roy will realize that while he's enjoying cycling, he's way slower than the others. and then upgrade-itis hits.

Last edited by phamilyman : 29th November 2014 at 09:25.
Old 29th November 2014, 12:35   #2167
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shijinpr View Post
Awesome Bike, I am also planning to buy a road bike. Would mind share the cost?

What budget have you set for the roadie purchase?
Old 29th November 2014, 15:54   #2168
Senior - BHPian

Here's a small review of a very different bicycle. I was following this thread and also the bike zone forum for some time now, and I wanted a good bike for myself.

The requirement
A very basic bicycle not costing more than INR 10,000/- The main purpose of the bicycle for now was to see if I was comfortable to get back to cycling and also to get some exercise apart from jogging. Also the daily running would not cross more than 7-8 kilometres daily, say, with a max 20km ride during the weekend. For the budget or rather more specifically, for the requirement, I thought to myself, I would get the Mybike 7s or the Btwin rockrider 5.0.

The cycle
Last Sunday, I just walked into the store and looked around. This was Sai baba kids world in Kasba peth, Pune. For some reason, he showed me a cycle made by Fantom; the Fantom Ryder. I had never heard of this brand or company. But still I rode it and for some reason I liked it. The crazy part is that I purchased it on the spot, without thinking twice. Thankfully it's a decision I will not regret. Atleast for now, until I outgrow it.

Why I got this bike?
I don't know. For the budget of 10,000/-, there could be and there are better cycles out there. But something in the bike appealed to me. Struck the strings of my heart. Looked good, rode pretty smoothly and was immediately available. Another reason is that Decathlon store is nearly 30kms away from my home, and could not find the time or inclination to drive that much distance. Moreover, I had already seen many reviews of the Btwin twins, so it didn't make much sense going there to check out the cycle.

Another option, that Surendar cycle store on Karve road (he's a family friend) offered me; was the Hercules ACT 110 for INR 16,000/-. It's a really nice bike, and I liked it a lot. Straight from the bottom of the heart, I loved it. However my folks didn't approve of it. In fact, they were even against spending so much for a cycle. That's another story...

The Bicycles thread-dsc_0094.jpg

Since the ACT 110 was out of the choices, I just went ahead with what I liked the next, and purchased this bicycle for INR 9,000/- on road. Of course there was a crappy wire lock, a bell and a side stand thrown in as freebies (more so because I purchased the bike on the spot).

The Bicycles thread-dsc_0097.jpg

The bike
Coming to the bike, I will say it's a good decent looking bicycle. The overall build quality is quite good and I didn't find any problems with it at all. The fit and finish is also quite good. It's a simple bicycle with a 6 speed transmission. No front derailleurs at all. No shock absorbers. The gear shifting is ok, I mean; you can make out when the chain moves from one sprocket to another but it's not rough.

The Bicycles thread-dsc_0088.jpg

The seat is height adjustable, but I think this is there in almost every bike nowdays. Also the front wheels are not quick release wheels.

The Bicycles thread-dsc_0089.jpg

Brakes come in as standard V brakes. The shopkeeper was trying to get me convinced for disk brakes, but for my kind of usage, I think disk brakes are nice to have, not mandatory.

Over the course of one week, I have ridden the bike around 50kms (~7-8kms daily) but I didn't find any squeaks or creaks or any issues. The only thing I hate about the bike is those crappy mud guards. Worthless. Totally worthless. I am going to remove them when I get time. The pedals and the chain mechanism also works smoothly, no issues with that also.

The Bicycles thread-dsc_0090.jpg

What next?
I have stopped thinking about what next and decided to ride it. As is. No worrying about how good or bad it is. One priority item, however; is getting some safety gear. Traffic is grown crazy since the time I last rode a cycle (in high school) and these days it doesn't make sense to ride without proper safety gear. The other low priority item is getting a cyclocomputer. This maybe when I upgrade later on.

Disclaimers
  1. This is a budget bike, make no bones about it. If you have budgeted more on getting a cycle, I will suggest go and get some nicer bicycle. There are much better options available out there, if you are not on a shoestring budget or if your family is supportive of getting a bicycle.
  2. Don't expect this cycle to be in the league of the Hercules ACT 110 or some other better bicycle. If you don't expect much more, you will be happier purchasing this bicycle.
  3. As mentioned on bike zone, I will say, spend some extra and get a bicycle with gears. Really makes a lot of difference over the single speed bicycles.
  4. Fantom is a relatively unknown brand(?) (in India? I don't really know), so I can't say anything about their support or how their bicycles are. 1 week is pretty short time to comment on how good their bicycles are. Maybe someone who has ridden their bikes will be able to comment on this.
  5. Lastly, those who are members on bikezone forum may post a link to this short review. Someone may find it useful to read these points.

The real next options ...
Ride the bicycle for the next 6 months and then upgrade to a better bicycle. In terms of everything. Till then, happy riding.

Last edited by W.A.G.7 : 29th November 2014 at 16:00. Reason: Added picture
Old 29th November 2014, 16:55   #2169
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on getting moving. Hope you got a helmet too.

Keep the mudgard.

Else try this:
http://ass-savers.com/
Old 30th November 2014, 20:41   #2170
BHPian

@WAG7, Heartiest Congratulations, wishing you many more kms of riding. Also considering your daily usage is 8 - 10 kms already its great going.

Fellow members - A question for all of you, again did a Sinhagad ride today on the rockrider, and just like last time, after climbing 50% could not pedal anymore and pushed cycle to the top with very intermittent pedaling.

My legs just do not seem to take the climbing after some time, is there any exercise/food which can help me in this area. I am a regular runner on weekdays running 4 - 5 kms every alternate day so i am not very sedentary overall.
Old 4th December 2014, 11:24   #2171
BHPian

I currently use a trek 3500 and I try my best to cycle daily from my house at Pedder road to either marine drive or seaface. My first bike was hero bmx which I still have and treasure The Bicycles thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1417672158.157639.jpgThe Bicycles thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1417672250.796505.jpg
Started from the bottom now we're here :P
The Bicycles thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1417672388.208137.jpg
Old 7th December 2014, 22:13   #2172
Senior - BHPian

After two weeks of cycling, I must say I have started enjoying cycling. The bicycle is also doing great. With ~100kms under the belt in two weeks, the bicycle is a joy to ride. This week, I will be slowly increasing the distance to ~10kms one way. Let's see how it goes.
Old 8th December 2014, 01:15   #2173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
I own an ACT110 since last 6 months. When I was in the market, I too had limited budget. So I had to decide between RR5.0 and Act 110. I tried RR5.0 but its seating position was not to my liking. I did not feel comfortable with it.
Beside it is an MTB with fatter tyres whereas my usage was going to be road only.

So I tried Act110. I found its seating to be comfortable and also it was a hybrid bicycle. People have reported issues with it like seat post breaking or pedals falling off. But I still took a chance, went ahead and bought Act110. So far I have done about 1800 kms on it. No issues so far. Tyres are holding good. No punctures till date. Gear shifts were bit notchy which I fixed during servicing. For the issues reported, I try to look for signs of wear and tear on seat post and pedals.

Hope this helps!
Hi Shipnil, how is your Act 110 doing? I am looking for a Bike with primary purpose being Health/Exercise, as I dont want to get into high impact exercise like Running. what I understand from forum is that it comes in just one size and its fit for someone whose height would be around 5'-9" or so! I am 5'-6", will Act110 be good for me? Or anything; please help!
Old 9th December 2014, 16:35   #2174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitksvs View Post
Hi Shipnil, how is your Act 110 doing? I am looking for a Bike with primary purpose being Health/Exercise, as I dont want to get into high impact exercise like Running. what I understand from forum is that it comes in just one size and its fit for someone whose height would be around 5'-9" or so! I am 5'-6", will Act110 be good for me? Or anything; please help!
My height too is 5'6". Fit is good. I have done about 3500 KMS so far. The experience is good so far barring few issues which I would not attribute to manufacturing but rather to poor mechanic. The issues were like punctures and wheel truing.
Old 10th December 2014, 00:25   #2175
BHPian

Enough gained. . . its time to lose! And with that in my mind I have taken over my younger brother's Firefox fusion 2.6. I daily commute to metro station which is around 1.5km one way. Since it was mostly ridden on rough patches and mud tracks, the rear tire has worn out.
I want to replace it with a Kenda or Botranger but cant decide. It will mostly run on road.
Would have gone with a good one, but as I have only started, my priority would be durability over performance.
It would be the bike itself that I would prefer to change, if I am able to maintain interest in this activity.
Please suggest me a good 26er for my bike.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks