Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2015, 17:17   #2926
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Ntomer & Lalvaz, can you pls elaborate on this point - why are the less expensive geared bikes not good ? Is it the build / working / or is it the efficiency gained out of the gears on such bikes ?

Which other bikes to avoid ?

Any idea how's the Decathlon Trail 7 x 3 ?
The gear shifting is far from smooth, and more often than not, the cheaper geared bikes are MTB's or in some cases hybrids. Perhaps the thicker tyres also result in more rolling resistance and hence I've always had a tougher time pedalling on those bikes as compared to the regular SLR's.

Bikes I've personally riden and had these problems on are Hero, Schnell, & Raleigh.

I've had a much better ride on the Treks & Montra's but they're obviously more expensive.
Old 11th December 2015, 17:54   #2927
Senior - BHPian

So now I have to decide to either go for the BTwin non geared one retailing around 5-6 or else start directly from 20-30k.

That's an easy choice actually. Because I am not going to raise my budget to 20-30k.

Will check out both the BTwins. The non geared + the Mybike 7s and pick one, mostly the non geared one.
Old 11th December 2015, 22:46   #2928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
So now I have to decide to either go for the BTwin non geared one retailing around 5-6 or else start directly from 20-30k.

That's an easy choice actually. Because I am not going to raise my budget to 20-30k.

Will check out both the BTwins. The non geared + the Mybike 7s and pick one, mostly the non geared one.
oh yes, the other thing is that if you spend only 5-6k, you get a much heavier bike (higher rolling resistance due to heavier tires / heavier rims etc). Again - IMHO the mybike 7s isnt that bad compared to Mybike itself.

These bikes are good only for occasional riding till you are sure of your cycling passion. Then please go to the 30k budget! For toodling around, this will do just fine IMHO
Old 12th December 2015, 11:47   #2929
BHPian

Another option you can checkout is the Raleigh my ride 26 http://www.suncrossbikes.com/bike_de...Id=2&Brands=12
Old 12th December 2015, 13:36   #2930
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
oh yes, the other thing is that if you spend only 5-6k, you get a much heavier bike (higher rolling resistance due to heavier tires / heavier rims etc). Again - IMHO the mybike 7s isnt that bad compared to Mybike itself.

These bikes are good only for occasional riding till you are sure of your cycling passion. Then please go to the 30k budget! For toodling around, this will do just fine IMHO
Get slick tyres on the non-geared MyBike and it'd be a pretty decent ride.
Old 12th December 2015, 18:45   #2931
Senior - BHPian

Visited the decathlon store at Wagholi, Pune. Picked up the 7s. Even my wife showed interest in riding so the non geared went out of contention.

Also spotted a bhpian there, wearing the tbhp zippered hoodie. He was on his way out while I was waiting for the bike so did not strike a conversation.
Old 12th December 2015, 19:53   #2932
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I was in an identical soup last year and despite visiting Decathalon twice I could not get myself to put the money down on any of the Btwins.
Instead I lapped up one of the first few pieces of 2015 Montra Trance Hybrid. Entry level group set mated with fairly light weight frame and reasonably good build quality for the price point (14K after discount).

The Bicycles thread-dsc_8390-large.jpg
Old 12th December 2015, 19:59   #2933
BHPian

Quote:
Visited the decathlon store at Wagholi, Pune. Picked up the 7s. Even my wife showed interest in riding so the non geared went out of contention.

Also spotted a bhpian there, wearing the tbhp zippered hoodie. He was on his way out while I was waiting for the bike so did not strike a conversation.
Good choice in that budget. I have the btwin 7s for over 2 years now. Although my riding has come down now still use it for 10-20km rides on weekends.

The gears are notchy - yes, but other than that pretty good. I would definitely prefer 7s over the non geared one except in a situation where you know you would upgrade anyway in a couple of months. If that's the case going for a mybike itself is not a good idea as there are several other better bikes which are better.

Happy cycling!!
Old 13th December 2015, 10:21   #2934
BHPian

Even I went to Decathelon with an intention to buy non geared BTwin cycle as a starter. But the sales guy convinced me to go for My Bike 7s (geared). I took little time to get convinced as I was not too confident about gear maintenance and service part. I totally left the decision on the sales guy as he was himself experienced cyclist who did Mumbai-Pune cycling quite regularly! The gear shifting is good and so far the rides have been hassle free. I only fear chain slippage. It happened only once when I rode it for the first time. But since then its in place. The gears are very useful. Overall I am very happy with My Bike 7s. I found it light weight too. And I love the way it looks.

Mistake I made:
I feel one mistake I did while taking the delivery. I went there all alone in the evening when the store was about to get closed. So I took delivery without checking it and trusting them fully. In the morning I noticed the the wheel was not in the center at all. To my shock it was also having contact with one of the pipes or chassis. Next day I took the cycle to Decathelon and got it corrected but still they couldn't bring it in the center exactly. I didn't take the pics I hope you got what I wanted to say. I went through other cycles kept on display there and found that wheels were in center of all except one or two. Moral of the story don't trust them totally. Don't go alone and always take delivery in the morning!

Last edited by aah78 : 24th September 2019 at 20:52. Reason: Typos.
Old 16th December 2015, 23:28   #2935
Distinguished - BHPian

Toying with the idea of getting a simple cycle. Plan to use locally - may be 4-5 km max.
Dont want to end up keeping it idle later. Hence looking for a budget model. May be a few gears (not the 21 & the like).
Old 17th December 2015, 10:45   #2936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Toying with the idea of getting a simple cycle. Plan to use locally - may be 4-5 km max.
Dont want to end up keeping it idle later. Hence looking for a budget model. May be a few gears (not the 21 & the like).
Went through exactly same thought process before I bought my bicycle. And to my surprise I have become a regular rider now. Its been not a single day I missed it. And enjoying every moment of my daily commute on my bicycle. In fact when I was toying with the idea of getting it, I just thought to get one very cheap without accessories and I ended up buying one model higher with 7 gears and fully loaded from De Cathelon.

So you can think other way round also, I mean just invest more money than your budget and you will get more options that will make your ride interesting. And further you will be motivated to continue. If you will put less money then chances of not using the cycle are more because you will always have a thought that you haven't made a bigger dent so you can afford to not to use it!
Old 17th December 2015, 11:56   #2937
BHPian

First Mercedes Benz cycle delivered in Calicut. Costs a cool 3.75ll . Got it as a WhatsApp forward.
The Bicycles thread-img_20151217_115406.jpg

P.S. I guess it's for the kid in the background.
Old 19th December 2015, 13:07   #2938
BHPian

Thinking about buying a bicycle and starting to ride around the town a bit. With my track record i dont usually stick to things for long, especially exercise equipment.
Do you think a btwin my bike (simple) without gears that costs around 4k from decathlon is ok to try out cycling?
I dont want to spend this kind of money but how's this montra rock 1.1 http://www.amazon.in/Montra-Rock1-1-.../dp/B00NOR3B8O if you get it for around 15k?
Old 24th December 2015, 00:38   #2939
BHPian

Bought myself a bicycle finally. It wasn't a Firefox rather went ahead and bought a Raleigh Terrain 30 mountain bike instead due to easier availability this side. Planning on starting to use it soon as the bike came via courier and unfortunately the front quick release screw was missing from the courier. I guess Suncross Bikes ain't very good with their shipment. The other grouse of course is that they shipped me a red and white while I'd ordered a black and red.
Looks good nonetheless but with a week been taken for the courier to reach me in the first place throws getting a replacement out of the question. The Bicycles thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1450897618.574288.jpg
The Bicycles thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1450897665.456791.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 24th September 2019 at 20:54. Reason: Typos, spacing.
Old 24th December 2015, 07:27   #2940
Distinguished - BHPian

How is Deathlon's servicing ? Or can the decathlon geared bikes be serviced outside ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks