Team-BHP > Shifting gears


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2018, 02:19   #3526
BHPian
 
navin_bhp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 148
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas_270 View Post
Thanks in advance guys!!
Checkout the Sirrus line from Specialized and bad boy models from Cannondale. Also if you are in an area where there is REI they will have some bikes on clearance sale. You can also checkout the "GHOST" brand they carry. The Trek makes more sense if you plan get their accessories as well. They have some cool mount options for the saddle, Garmin and Go Pros.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 21:31. Reason: Quote trimmed.
navin_bhp is offline  
Old 15th March 2018, 09:36   #3527
BHPian
 
bugatti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: bangalore
Posts: 62
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by manas_270 View Post
Hi All,

I too got bitten by the cycling bug in Nov of last year and to make sure its a Any inputs on these Models? ..........
..........
Thanks in advance guys!!
Suggestions

As you stated,

1)Merida Speeder 100 is a really good bike (you can bike it up at a competitive price in India itself)

Other options
2)Cannondale Quick 4 or 3, costs around 35-50k in India,

3)Ridley Temp X (60-65k in India)

4)Trek Zektor 2(55k in India)

5)Giant Escape 1 (comes with disc, 55k in India)
bugatti is offline  
Old 18th March 2018, 15:43   #3528
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,687
Thanked: 2,718 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Upgraded from Btwin 7s MTB to Btwin Riverside 120 Hybrid bike on auspicious occasion of Gudi Padwa. The gear shifting is nice, feels more efficient than MTB due to thinner and bigger (28inch vs 26inch) tyres. But the best improvement is in the posture. The lowest handlebar position in Riverside is higher than the tallest one in 7s, which results in extremely comfortable upright riding position.

Name:  IMG_1848.JPG
Views: 1669
Size:  40.1 KB

Now putting up the 7s for sale.

Last edited by ani_meher : 18th March 2018 at 15:45.
ani_meher is offline  
Old 28th March 2018, 20:30   #3529
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Thane
Posts: 58
Thanked: 112 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Upgraded from Btwin 7s MTB to Btwin Riverside 120 Hybrid bike on auspicious occasion of Gudi Padwa. The gear shifting is nice, feels more efficient than MTB due to thinner and bigger (28inch vs 26inch) tyres. But the best improvement is in the posture. The lowest handlebar position in Riverside is higher than the tallest one in 7s, which results in extremely comfortable upright riding position.

Attachment 1742869

Now putting up the 7s for sale.
The bike you own now is what I am contemplating to purchase this Friday.
How has your experience overall?
My budget is upto 12K and don't mind exploring more options but I am still hooked on to my choice.
pankajn1702 is offline  
Old 28th March 2018, 20:37   #3530
Senior - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 3,014
Thanked: 1,742 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

I recently purchased Cannondale CAADX 105 SE.
Cannondale CAADX 105 SE Specs

The Bicycles thread-caadx.jpg

It's a cyclocross bike but I bought it for its winter weather capabilities. It came with 700x37C WTB Riddler tires that have served me well on my few winter outings on snowy roads. They are grippy but slow, of course.

Now that winter is almost over, and since most of my rides will be on roads only, I will be replacing these tires with 700x28 Continental Gatorskins. Will see how they fare. They will arrive by Friday and I should be able to test them out on Saturday.
amitoj is offline  
Old 28th March 2018, 20:42   #3531
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,687
Thanked: 2,718 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankajn1702 View Post
The bike you own now is what I am contemplating to purchase this Friday.
How has your experience overall?
My budget is upto 12K and don't mind exploring more options but I am still hooked on to my choice.
I would give a green signal. The gear shifts are smooth, the riding position is commanding, and the riding itself is joyful. Try the test rides in Decathlon.

I tried the Triban 500 as well (priced at 20k), but found that I couldn't control it! Being so light, I was going everywhere but the path :( Riverside 120 fits my requirement perfectly.
ani_meher is offline  
Old 28th March 2018, 22:00   #3532
Senior - BHPian
 
silverado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mumbai-Pune
Posts: 1,342
Thanked: 1,242 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Upgraded from Btwin 7s MTB to Btwin Riverside 120 Hybrid bike .
I liked riverside 120 a lot, but somehow felt our roads require a MTB bike.
The best part about riverside was ( as you mentioned ), upright seating position, which I feel is more comfortable than low set MTB handles.

I bought Montra Rock 1.0D for 16.2K.
silverado is offline  
Old 30th March 2018, 23:17   #3533
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Thane
Posts: 58
Thanked: 112 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Anyone heard about Foxtor Bikes?
I am getting a 21 speed MTB for 10K with accessories such as mud guards, bottle holder, lock and bell from a local store.

Worth it?

Foxtorbikes.com (for reference)

The Bicycles thread-6033f32e05ad46d8ac5c610f9f7c93bc.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-8c6e6be68c0045e591616eebce5a9095.jpeg

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 21:33. Reason: Pictures inserted in-line. Link added.
pankajn1702 is offline  
Old 2nd April 2018, 12:29   #3534
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,687
Thanked: 2,718 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Some comparison pics of Btwin Riverside 120 vs Btwin Mybike 7S. Both are size M. You can see how the Riverside is one size bigger than 7s. The top tube being curved adds a great deal of mental comfort in case of sudden braking . The handlebar picture shows the wider handlebar of Riverside which opens up the chest and gives a comfortable riding position. Also, the handlebar of Riverside is at the lowest position, while in 7S it is at highest position!

Name:  IMG6598.JPG
Views: 1932
Size:  168.0 KB

The Bicycles thread-img6601.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img6603.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img6608.jpg

The Bicycles thread-img6610.jpg
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 02:01   #3535
BHPian
 
navin_bhp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 148
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I recently purchased Cannondale CAADX 105 SE.
Cannondale makes some of the best Aluminum bikes. I drool over the CAAD12 every time I go to REI. I've had a CAAD 10 for couple month and loved it. What group set do you have on the CAADX? 105? Gatorskins are great BTW.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 21:35. Reason: Quote trimmed. Typos.
navin_bhp is offline  
Old 3rd April 2018, 02:18   #3536
Senior - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 3,014
Thanked: 1,742 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_bhp View Post
Cannondale makes some of the best Aluminum bikes. I drool over the CAAD12 every time I go to REI. I've had a CAAD 10 for couple month and loved it. What group set do you have on the CAADX? 105? Gatorskins are great BTW.
Yes, it comes with Shimano 105, with 48-32 up front and 11-32 at the back, total of 22 gears. The 1:1 ratio helps with the climbs, but I wish it had something larger than a 48.

I have had one ride with the Gators. Lets see how they pan out next weekend, when I will ride 100 miles on them.

But you know what? I have been having some doubts about my purchase though. Should I have gone for the CAAD12? I surely feel that I could have gone for 58cm instead of 61. So, maybe that is reason enough to try out the CAAD12? I have no idea how good REI is at honoring their 1 year trial period.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 21:35. Reason: Quoted post fixed.
amitoj is offline  
Old 3rd April 2018, 03:24   #3537
BHPian
 
navin_bhp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 148
Thanked: 34 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Yes, it comes with Shimano 105, with 48-32 up front and 11-32 at the back, total of 22 gears. The 1:1 ratio helps with the climbs, but I wish it had something larger than a 48.

I have had one ride with the Gators. Lets see how they pan out next weekend, when I will ride 100 miles on them.

But you know what? I have been having some doubts about my purchase though. Should I have gone for the CAAD12? I surely feel that I could have gone for 58cm instead of 61. So, maybe that is reason enough to try out the CAAD12? I have no idea how good REI is at honoring their 1 year trial period.
I've only returned couple items unused but I hear they are pretty good. Their website says 90 days only for bike trainers so it is still 1 yr for bikes I would guess. My size is 54 but I wish it was 58 because I see them on sale all the time. CAAD12 is superlight and fast. They come with a 36/52 hollowgram crank but the rear cogs are 11/28. Not great for climbing but you could throw in a 11-32 on the rear. I don't ride in winters but I'm sure I wont like the all-in-one setup. Maybe get a lighter bike and and extra set of wheels for winter. Also the CAAD12 is race geometry so if you ride long the synapse would be better. If you are REI check if they have the Ghost Nivolet. I had the ultegra version and it was super nice.
navin_bhp is offline  
Old 3rd April 2018, 03:46   #3538
Senior - BHPian
 
amitoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 3,014
Thanked: 1,742 Times
Default Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_bhp View Post
I've only returned couple items unused but I hear they are pretty good. Their website says 90 days only for bike trainers so it is still 1 yr for bikes I would guess. My size is 54 but I wish it was 58 because I see them on sale all the time. CAAD12 is superlight and fast. They come with a 36/52 hollowgram crank but the rear cogs are 11/28. Not great for climbing but you could throw in a 11-32 on the rear. I don't ride in winters but I'm sure I wont like the all-in-one setup. Maybe get a lighter bike and and extra set of wheels for winter. Also the CAAD12 is race geometry so if you ride long the synapse would be better. If you are REI check if they have the Ghost Nivolet. I had the ultegra version and it was super nice.
Good point about the geometry. I have a Bianchi Campione from the 80s, which is more racing bike. I have done 60+ miles on it but they were not very comfortable.

Looking at the specs for Synapse, the AL seems more like what i am looking for. Let me contact REI and see what they say. Thanks for the suggestion!
amitoj is offline  
Old 4th April 2018, 22:08   #3539
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 694
Thanked: 283 Times
Default Clipless pedals

Guys, any of you use clipless pedals? I am looking for opinions from folks who use them in India. How do you find the experience? And with chaotic traffic that we have in our cities, are you able to clip out quickly if you face a panic breaking situation, which I often encounter in daily rides.
shipnil is offline  
Old 4th April 2018, 22:13   #3540
Senior - BHPian
 
Axe77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,978
Thanked: 2,556 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Guys, any of you use clipless pedals? I am looking for opinions from folks who use them in India. How do you find the experience? And with chaotic traffic that we have in our cities, are you able to clip out quickly if you face a panic breaking situation, which I often encounter in daily rides.

If you're using it for daily commuting it is avoidable. But for any level of serious riding I would say this is almost a must upgrade, particularly if you are on a roadie. Most serious rider i know would ride with cleats - you simply adapt and get the hang of it in a little time - no biggie.
Axe77 is online now  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks