Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2018, 15:54   #3631
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Bicycles thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
See it in Action on the main stand .
He should have rode it and showed.
Well, I searched YouTube and came up with this one.

It’s a 1940 steam bicycle and it looks coal fired!

I have to get me one of these steam bikes!

Jeroen
Old 31st May 2018, 12:07   #3632
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
If low weight is an objective I'd go for Giant SCR2. It was an unbelievable 6 kilos!!!
Don't think that's true. I believe it's close to 11 kg. The SCR 2 is among the cheaper road bikes from Giant (Rs. 48,000). At that price, a weight of 6 kg is just not possible.
Old 31st May 2018, 12:53   #3633
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I have finalized on this bike for myself and my friend. However medium and large size is not in stock. Will get fresh stock in the first week of June.

Congratulations! Happy riding! Hope to meet you on the road somewhere
Old 31st May 2018, 13:20   #3634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Congratulations! Happy riding! Hope to meet you on the road somewhere
Thanks Anand. Coming Saturday morning 2nd June, have planned for a ride with 4 other friends to Paud @5:30 am. Let me know if you are interested in joining. Will share with you more details.
Old 31st May 2018, 19:38   #3635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
I want to buy a cycle for my son-6 years old. His height is 120cm

My budget is around 5k to 6k.

I think 20 inch will be ok for him. The priorities are- reasonably light, good sturdy build and easy to maintain.

Should i look at a geared or non geared one?

What are my options.
I think for the budget you have, B-Twin 300 is the best bet. I've got the same one for my son who is also 6, he simply loves it. He had it here in the UK too.
Here in the UK, the cycle comes with a front and rear lights, not so in India. You will also need to fork out extra monies for the side stand. But at this price you can't go wrong with it.
Old 1st June 2018, 10:30   #3636
Senior - BHPian

It was really some time back. I was getting it shipped and the guy charged me for 6.5-7 kilos. Something around that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Did I read it right? I thought the entry level road bikes are on the higher side of 10 kg.

Also, the current line up of Giant has SCR under Fitness category as entry level and Contend under Allrounder category. Any idea what is the difference? Geometry and spec wise both are similar.
Old 1st June 2018, 12:04   #3637
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Anand. Coming Saturday morning 2nd June, have planned for a ride with 4 other friends to Paud @5:30 am. Let me know if you are interested in joining. Will share with you more details.

I may also ride to Pirangut and back.
I will PM you.

Thanks!
Old 6th June 2018, 10:26   #3638

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Don't think that's true. I believe it's close to 11 kg. The SCR 2 is among the cheaper road bikes from Giant (Rs. 48,000). At that price, a weight of 6 kg is just not possible.
Correct.

I think Sebring is probably referring to the TCR ( not SCR) ... even TCR is around 8 Kg.

For 6Kg, you need to be in carbon-bike realm.

IMHO, nothing in Aluminium is in that weight range (in the world).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Did I read it right? I thought the entry level road bikes are on the higher side of 10 kg.

Also, the current line up of Giant has SCR under Fitness category as entry level and Contend under Allrounder category. Any idea what is the difference? Geometry and spec wise both are similar.
You are right about the weight.

The SCR has a more race-oriented geometry - meaning less comfort, more speed. The Contend has a more endurance-oriented geometry - meaning more comfort at the cost of speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
I think for the budget you have, B-Twin 300 is the best bet. I've got the same one for my son who is also 6, he simply loves it. He had it here in the UK too.
Here in the UK, the cycle comes with a front and rear lights, not so in India. You will also need to fork out extra monies for the side stand. But at this price you can't go wrong with it.
I agree.

The best part is their return policy - full refund, no questions asked, with a smile thrown in for free :-) (check with them for the time limit).

Worst part - their stores are usually located at the back of beyond !!

By the way, most of their bikes and bike accessories give the best bang for your buck.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th June 2018 at 11:21.
Old 6th June 2018, 11:26   #3639

Quote:
Finally took the plunge and bought myself the Marin Fairfax SC1 on Saturday (M size) from Marin Bikes, Kothrud. Listed price was 31K, with 5% discount I got it for 29.45K. From the same shop I got two aluminium bottle holders fitted (Rs 250/- each), A Shwalbe spare tube (Rs 350/-) and MET helmet for Rs 2650/-. Here are some pics.
Congratulations !

Here is my two cents worth...

Ride Safe.

Use a helmet; ALWAYS + EVERYTIME !!

Use hand signs while riding.

As far as possible, use a head light and rear light even in day time... remember - top end vehicles have daylight driving lights - your bike is a top end vehicle !

GIVE respect, but don't forget to TAKE respect... you will need to !

SMILE FIRST in case of a problem with other road users, while riding; it helps !

Have fun in traffic, getting ahead, while everyone else waits for everyone else !!
Old 6th June 2018, 15:26   #3640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svpdgod View Post
Congratulations !
Thanks for your wishes svpdgod and also appreciate your suggestions . Well on our 41 km ride last Saturday, we did exactly what you have mentioned. Sharing some pics from our ride.

The Bicycles thread-pic1.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-whatsapp-image-20180602-10.35.45-am.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-whatsapp-image-20180602-10.57.56-am.jpeg

The Bicycles thread-whatsapp-image-20180602-10.58.34-am.jpeg

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 22:46. Reason: Quote trimmed. Pictures inserted in-line.
Old 11th June 2018, 17:18   #3641

Purchased a Chinese/Italian brand Java entry level MTB last month and have been doing quite a few rides. Here is a the view from one of my rides . This is in Aizawl, Mizoram.

The Bicycles thread-2uhbcxg.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2019 at 22:46. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
Old 14th June 2018, 20:50   #3642
BHPian

I am a beginner for cycling except for my school days. The main objective of buying a bicycle is for fitness (1-2 hours daily) and then eventually do long distance rides. I am not keen on expensive purchases though I understand the value. I am very keen on upright position to avoid lower back pain.

With some reading and falling down, I have my eyes set on BTwin Mybike, BTwin Riverside 50, BTwin Riverside 100 and BTwin Riverside 120. Are my choices right? I am unable to make out the differences in each of these. Strict budget imposed by home ministry as they are highly confident that the bicycle would idle and rust anyway.

Would any good soul please enlighten and help me narrow down? Looking to buy one this weekend. Thanks in advance

Last edited by petrolhead_chn : 14th June 2018 at 20:51.
Old 14th June 2018, 21:24   #3643
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post
I have my eyes set on BTwin Mybike, BTwin Riverside 50, BTwin Riverside 100 and BTwin Riverside 120. Are my choices right? I am unable to make out the differences in each of these. Strict budget imposed by home ministry as they are highly confident that the bicycle would idle and rust anyway.

Would any good soul please enlighten and help me narrow down? Looking to buy one this weekend. Thanks in advance
If you have the budget for Riverside 120, go for it. 120 has trigger shifter which is far better in gear shift than the grip shifter in 50 and 100.
Old 14th June 2018, 22:15   #3644
Senior - BHPian

Vote for btwin 120. See my posted photos in same thread.
Old 15th June 2018, 01:54   #3645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
If you have the budget for Riverside 120, go for it. 120 has trigger shifter which is far better in gear shift than the grip shifter in 50 and 100.

Thank you very much. Yeah that is a valid pointer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Vote for btwin 120. See my posted photos in same thread.

Great. Real life photos will help.

By the way, is the seat comfortable enough for continuous 1-2hrs rides? How long have you been using it? Too many questions - sorry!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks